The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Compuker Virus on wife's PC (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2621)

YorkL8apex 04-12-2010 9:58pm

Compuker Virus on wife's PC

She picked up some goofy "Security Tool" virus tonight. Man, what a pain, it basically acts like spyware protection software and tries to get you to delete critical files on your PC. Very aggressive, you basically can't use the PC because it pops up every 10 seconds and will not let you close it completely. Keeps trying to get you to run their program.

It blocks using real protection like McAfee which we paid something like $90 when we bought the PC a couple months ago. We call McAfee and those A holes want another $99 to fix the dam thing. Told them to shove it up their virus hole.

Called Toshiba and have spent the last two hours wiping the hard drive and getting it restarted, still not done.

I'd like to take the author of this Virus to the Gun Club for some "shooting"

wwomanC6 04-12-2010 10:10pm

Makes ya want to do this! :computer:

:squirrelrun:

tuco 04-12-2010 11:47pm

is that the popup that you see every now and then that say it wants to scan the system cause you may have a virus. Seems like it comes from certain websites? My best way out of that is to not hit anything but the power down button on the pc. And yea...I wish all those bastages would Rot In He**:D

Lowcash 04-13-2010 5:54am

The easiest way to fix those virus' is to drop into

1. Safe Mode.
2. update/run your virus app.
3. download / run Malware Bytes or Spybot Search & Destroy

There is a small app you can download that kills any unknown and non-critical services that are running; but I can't remember the name. That would actually be step 2.

NEVRL8T 04-13-2010 6:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowcash (Post 32974)
The easiest way to fix those virus' is to drop into

1. Safe Mode.
2. update/run your virus app.
3. download / run Malware Bytes or Spybot Search & Destroy

There is a small app you can download that kills any unknown and non-critical services that are running; but I can't remember the name. That would actually be step 2.

:iagree: Malwarebytes and SpyBot will work wonders in the future. If you can get Malwarebytes to download this alone will probably fix it. the problem is that a lot of times that virus will prevent Malwarebytes from downloading if you don't already have it. Sometimes you can boot in safe mode and download Malwarebytes from there.

YorkL8apex 04-13-2010 5:09pm

Thanks for the suggestions..mine is for her to stay the heck off Facebook where the dang thing came from but little chance in that happening!!!!!

WKMCD 04-13-2010 6:06pm

There are a frew tools for dealing with this crap. I keep them on a thumb drive - boot to safe mode or from the thumb drive. Clean it up and go. The really nasty ones rewrite the CMOS and then lock you out. If you don't know the reset jumpers on the MB - you're screwed.

PortDawg 04-13-2010 6:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEVRL8T (Post 32981)
:iagree: Malwarebytes and SpyBot will work wonders in the future. If you can get Malwarebytes to download this alone will probably fix it. the problem is that a lot of times that virus will prevent Malwarebytes from downloading if you don't already have it. Sometimes you can boot in safe mode and download Malwarebytes from there.

There are some entries in the registry that you'll need to kill. Look up the name of the malware on the Internet and follow the directions to really get rid of it. It's a nasty one and as great as Malwarebytes or Spybot are, they will not get rid of all of it.

I had it a few months ago at home and followed the directions to the letter and it got rid of it.

Here's a link to the directions...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...-security-tool

2ez 2spd 04-13-2010 7:03pm

I had this problem a while back it took a long time but I finally got it fixed. I see now I should have come here for help some good info on this.

NEVRL8T 04-13-2010 9:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PortDawg (Post 33048)
There are some entries in the registry that you'll need to kill. Look up the name of the malware on the Internet and follow the directions to really get rid of it. It's a nasty one and as great as Malwarebytes or Spybot are, they will not get rid of all of it.

I had it a few months ago at home and followed the directions to the letter and it got rid of it.

Here's a link to the directions...

Remove Security Tool and SecurityTool (Uninstall Guide)

Yep. I forgot about the registry entries. Those Win32 errors are killers.

OBXFunn 04-13-2010 10:23pm

This is a common "hi-jack" easy to clean. Sometimes doing a system restore will fix the issue but deleting her profile will fix this issue. I have seen it 5 or 6 times. You can email me directly fi you need help... [email protected]

EDIT: I just saw that you are reimagining your computer. I wish I would have seen this a few hours ago. I could have saved you some time.

PortDawg 04-14-2010 7:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OBXFunn (Post 33092)
This is a common "hi-jack" easy to clean. Sometimes doing a system restore will fix the issue but deleting her profile will fix this issue. I have seen it 5 or 6 times. You can email me directly fi you need help... [email protected]

EDIT: I just saw that you are reimagining your computer. I wish I would have seen this a few hours ago. I could have saved you some time.

It's more of a PITA than it is anything else. Typical Helpdesk...just reimage it and it'll be good...they don't concern themselves with loss of data.

Th1 04-14-2010 8:36am

same exact thing happened to me on facebook on both my computers the same day! It definetly is a major pain in the arse to redo everything from ground zero.I have a local guy who fixed me up for 75 bucks which was mainly for hime to restore all of my pictures of my now 5 month old girl and all my car stuff(40 gigs worth)I though I had lost.:banghead:I now stay clear of said website unless I check from my phone or a computer from work...

PortDawg 04-14-2010 12:02pm

Download Malwarebytes (www,malwarebytes.org), it's free and will spare you a lot of the aggravations you could possibly get yourself into.