The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   latest project--bike rack mount for Ram truck with cargo hatch (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119959)

JRD77VET 08-05-2019 7:33pm

latest project--bike rack mount for Ram truck with cargo hatch
 
2 Attachment(s)
My friend Mike has one of the newer Ram pickups with the cargo pockets on the top of the bed. His bike rack doesn't work with the bike rack as there isn't any room for the lids to pivot.

After some serious brain storming ( smell smoke? :lol: ), we came up with a workable idea. The truck has the sliding cargo rails inside the bed. He gave me four of the sliding hold downs plus the bike mounts and I altered them to work.

Measured the hole distance between the plates and then drilled and tapped plus counterbored the top of the mount for brass tubing stand offs.

This should work just fine :yesnod:

69camfrk 08-05-2019 7:50pm

Did his Ram truck come with a free dog?:D

JRD77VET 08-05-2019 8:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1680064)
Did his Ram truck come with a free dog?:D

:confused5:

it's about a 2016 with the small diesel in it and tows their camper just fine.

aerovette 08-05-2019 10:33pm

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ChillyDese...restricted.gif

69camfrk 08-06-2019 4:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1680066)
:confused5:

it's about a 2016 with the small diesel in it and tows their camper just fine.

Chrysler is having a special on their Ram pickups. With every purchase of a Ram pickup, you get a free dog. Just so when it breaks down, you never have to walk home alone. :D

erickpl 08-06-2019 8:11am

2 Attachment(s)
I have a 17 Ram with the Ram Boxes... doing a bike rack inside is stupid easy with a 2x4 and a fork clamp for the front of the bike...

Now if he has a tonneau, I could see doing something different. This keeps bikes out of the wind flow so they actually stay dry for the most part while driving in rain. And they're incredibly secure.

I'm following this thread as I'd love to see what you come up with...

Black94lt1 08-06-2019 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1680060)
My friend Mike has one of the newer Ram pickups with the cargo pockets on the top of the bed. His bike rack doesn't work with the bike rack as there isn't any room for the lids to pivot.

After some serious brain storming ( smell smoke? :lol: ), we came up with a workable idea. The truck has the sliding cargo rails inside the bed. He gave me four of the sliding hold downs plus the bike mounts and I altered them to work.

Measured the hole distance between the plates and then drilled and tapped plus counterbored the top of the mount for brass tubing stand offs.

This should work just fine :yesnod:

I would love to see a pic with them installed and bikes in them as Iím having a hard time visualizing it. I have fork racks screwed to the bed floor of my current truck but looking for ideas for the next one

JRD77VET 08-06-2019 7:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickpl (Post 1680100)
I have a 17 Ram with the Ram Boxes... doing a bike rack inside is stupid easy with a 2x4 and a fork clamp for the front of the bike...

Now if he has a tonneau, I could see doing something different. This keeps bikes out of the wind flow so they actually stay dry for the most part while driving in rain. And they're incredibly secure.

I'm following this thread as I'd love to see what you come up with...

They're done. The black plastic piece slides into the round bar hold down. In the picture of your truck, these would mount onto the rail almost at the top of the bed.

That allows them to use the bed of the pick up for other items they are taking with them camping ( they have a trailer they tow)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black94lt1 (Post 1680116)
I would love to see a pic with them installed and bikes in them as Iím having a hard time visualizing it. I have fork racks screwed to the bed floor of my current truck but looking for ideas for the next one

I'll see if Mike can get some pictures.

outrunm 08-06-2019 8:21pm

1 Attachment(s)
I use one of these when I can't use my hitch rack or stick my bike in the back of my SUV.

JRD77VET 08-21-2019 8:56pm

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black94lt1 (Post 1680116)
I would love to see a pic with them installed and bikes in them as Iím having a hard time visualizing it. I have fork racks screwed to the bed floor of my current truck but looking for ideas for the next one

Mike's wife just sent me pics of the rack in the truck. Sorry, no bikes attached. Mike said the bikes were steady as a rock and they were able to get all their other "stuff" under the bikes.

Last three pics have the bike rack unclamped and slid forward to show how it attaches.

Black94lt1 08-21-2019 9:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1681438)
Mike's wife just sent me pics of the rack in the truck. Sorry, no bikes attached. Mike said the bikes were steady as a rock and they were able to get all their other "stuff" under the bikes.

Last three pics have the bike rack unclamped and slid forward to show how it attaches.

Makes sense now, thank you!

bill_daniels 08-21-2019 9:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by outrunm (Post 1680169)
I use one of these when I can't use my hitch rack or stick my bike in the back of my SUV.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable with suction cups holding a bike on the roof going 70mph, especially if they were on a sunroof.

LilRedCorvette 08-22-2019 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1681438)
Mike's wife just sent me pics of the rack in the truck. Sorry, no bikes attached. Mike said the bikes were steady as a rock and they were able to get all their other "stuff" under the bikes.

Last three pics have the bike rack unclamped and slid forward to show how it attaches.

:cool: idea/solution and very well done...but I didn't expect any less :seasix: bet your friend appreciates all the work also :yesnod:

JRD77VET 08-22-2019 7:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette (Post 1681475)
:cool: idea/solution and very well done...but I didn't expect any less :seasix: bet your friend appreciates all the work also :yesnod:

Thank you :toast:

Mike's wife is extremely happy, here's what she wrote back to me after I thanked her for the pictures and was glad they worked well.

"Tremendously happy. We carried 3 bikes for 4+ hours at speeds of 70 mph and they didn't move an inch. Plus still had full access to the bed and my side ram boxes!
Thanks again
"

:dance:

markids77 08-22-2019 8:40pm

Simple. Elegant. Cost effective. If you ran for President I would vote for you even though you would never win because your solutions to real problems are well thought out, less than complex, less labor intensive and attainable without undue histrionics or expense. :datawiz:

erickpl 08-23-2019 9:34am

Man, I like that solution, especially when hauling stuff!!!! Do you know what bike rack that is? I'd be tempted to do that for mine!

So you basically drilled holes in the the rail clamp things and did different bolts to fit the bike rack? I'd be really interested in doing this for mine if you have a detailed writeup.

JRD77VET 08-23-2019 7:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickpl (Post 1681552)
Man, I like that solution, especially when hauling stuff!!!! Do you know what bike rack that is? I'd be tempted to do that for mine!

So you basically drilled holes in the the rail clamp things and did different bolts to fit the bike rack? I'd be really interested in doing this for mine if you have a detailed writeup.

I will check what brand ( and model if you're lucky) when they get back from camping.

I measured the hole distance in the mounting plate and that fit into the beefy area of the truck rail mount.

I fixtured it in my milling machine vise and then drilled & tapped the holes and counterbored the top for a piece of brass tubing to work as a standoff. The brass tubing allows room for your hand to tighten the knob on the truck rail mount.

I drilled the holes thru so it wouldn't trap water in the hole and corrode.

JRD77VET 08-26-2019 7:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickpl (Post 1681552)
Man, I like that solution, especially when hauling stuff!!!! Do you know what bike rack that is? I'd be tempted to do that for mine!

So you basically drilled holes in the the rail clamp things and did different bolts to fit the bike rack? I'd be really interested in doing this for mine if you have a detailed writeup.

I talked with Mike today. It's a real "hodge podge" of parts. :yesnod:

The track mounts are from his 2008 Tundra pick up
The bike rack is a Yakima ( I'm guessing on the spelling)
The slider/ quick attach mount is from a roof rack from a 1985 Jeep Grand Cherokee

simpleman68 08-26-2019 8:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1681438)
Mike's wife just sent me pics of the rack in the truck. Sorry, no bikes attached. Mike said the bikes were steady as a rock and they were able to get all their other "stuff" under the bikes.

Last three pics have the bike rack unclamped and slid forward to show how it attaches.

Looks really good man! Nice fab work as always! :cert:

Finally got plans approved for "deck mahal" so I'll be giving you a shout to look at a main support "shackle" of sorts depending on response from the structural guy.
Scott


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:35pm.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 - 2020 The Vette Barn