The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Taking the next step toward retirement . . . (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124568)

73sbVert 03-05-2021 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1864176)
and that's another issue.... we don't have a pool :shrug:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Blademaker 03-05-2021 4:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck A (Post 1863821)
can you gals and guys give the age you retired at? I am 57 years old and really thinking about it, will be hard but the job has really been hitting the bad nerves mahyb e its bec ause of getting older or just had enough of the daily grind:yesnod:

Sold my business.
NO Regrets

6 Shooter 03-05-2021 5:54pm

Congrat’s - Enjoy your golden years! 🤙

:groupwave:

Mick 03-05-2021 6:01pm

I think I passed another milestone today, I got called "the worst employee ever". I am totally serious!

Cliffs: STFU Raazor.

The story: As some of you know, I am good friends with a guy that lives 3 houses up the street from me, and he owns the local bike shop, where I hang out and drink beer sometimes. Today, I tweaked my knee working on my rental property, called it a day, and headed over to my Bud's (Steve) shop for some alcohol treatment.

We're there having a beer, when a woman comes in wanting a tune-up for her bike, but she asks if she can watch Steve do the tune-up, and he agrees. Now there are three of us in the back, and Steve is working on her bike. Customers start coming into the shop, so Steve leaves me and the woman in the back to help the customers. So I am sitting there, drinking a beer, watching the movie "Zombieland" on the TV while Steve helps multiple customers, and the woman tells me that I am "the worst employee ever". I simply responded "Ma'am, I'm way worse than you think." :yesnod:

:rofl:

snide 03-05-2021 6:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1864329)
I think I passed another milestone today, I got called "the worst employee ever". I am totally serious!

The story: As some of you know, I am good friends with a guy that lives 3 houses up the street from me, and he owns the local bike shop, where I hang out and drink beer sometimes. Today, I tweaked my knee working on my rental property, called it a day, and headed over to my Bud's (Steve) shop for some alcohol treatment.

We're there having a beer, when a woman comes in wanting a tune-up for her bike, but she asks if she can watch Steve do the tune-up, and he agrees. Now there are three of us in the back, and Steve is working on her bike. Customers start coming into the shop, so Steve leaves me and the woman in the back to help the customers. So I am sitting there, drinking a beer, watching the movie "Zombieland" on the TV while Steve helps multiple customers, and the woman tells me that I am "the worst employee ever". I simply responded "Ma'am, I'm way worse than you think." :yesnod:

Awesome! :funnier::funnier: You gonna get a t-shirt made up? :funnier:

Mick 03-06-2021 7:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1864339)

That's a great idea!

09CTSV 03-06-2021 7:21am

I've been thinking hard of retirement the last month. My wife and I have picked a state and area to retire to and set a Not Later Than date of next year. After all the BS at work this week I am ready to leave this month.

the new me 03-06-2021 7:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1864329)

Pics of woman?

Chuck A 03-06-2021 7:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blademaker (Post 1864303)
Sold my business.
NO Regrets

very way cool, indeed
If i didn't have kids I properly would have also retired at 50

BayouCountry 03-06-2021 7:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck A (Post 1863821)
can you gals and guys give the age you retired at? I am 57 years old and really thinking about it, will be hard but the job has really been hitting the bad nerves mahyb e its bec ause of getting older or just had enough of the daily grind:yesnod:

62. If the numbers work to cover healthcare, taxes, inflation, and most of all entertainment, then go for it. I loved my job until I didn’t.

Chuck A 03-06-2021 7:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09CTSV (Post 1864456)
I've been thinking hard of retirement the last month. My wife and I have picked a state and area to retire to and set a Not Later Than date of next year. After all the BS at work this week I am ready to leave this month.

yea i am also in the same boat, just about had enough of the BS at work:yesnod:

Chuck A 03-06-2021 7:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayouCountry (Post 1864461)
62. If the numbers work to cover healthcare, taxes, inflation, and most of all entertainment, then go for it. I loved my job until I didn’t.

i maybe able to survive at what i have save till 62 nicely but with wife and kids well , very not good, indeed:yesnod:

Mick 03-06-2021 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck A (Post 1864463)
i maybe able to survive at what i have save till 62 nicely but with wife and kids well , very not good, indeed:yesnod:

I couldn't even think about retirement until the kids were on their own, college paid for, and working good jobs. My younger got there in the summer of 2019, that's when the serious discussions about retirement started.

MadInNc 03-06-2021 4:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1864520)
I couldn't even think about retirement until the kids were on their own, college paid for, and working good jobs. My younger got there in the summer of 2019, that's when the serious discussions about retirement started.

Like you, both through college, both married, both w/ houses and basically self sufficient. Bank always open for cars, furnaces and emergencies still.

Then I looked at net worth, age, achievement of goals and told company to piss off. They were nice and paid me full separation, bonus’s etc for full value cash out.

Could of done unemployment but I’m not that kinda guy. 7 yrs now with a couple of consultant gigs early on. But they aren’t worth it as I have to maintain a certain level of income to offset insurance taxes etc.

Living the dream on the original nest egg still :datawiz::cert:

Anjdog2003 03-06-2021 4:11pm

I retired over 10 years ago in my 50's. I enjoyed what i did and liked going to work. Best thing i ever did. I got the chance to get permanently banned from CFOT and bring enlightenment, comradely, and wisdom to the vette barn. :yesnod:

Mick 03-06-2021 4:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjdog2003 (Post 1864602)
I retired over 10 years ago in my 50's. I enjoyed what i did and liked going to work. Best thing i ever did. I got the chance to get permanently banned from CFOT and bring enlightenment, comradely, and wisdom to the vette barn. :yesnod:

I actually really enjoyed my last Corporate gig, and they were very generous with the separation agreement as well. I have said for years, the only thing I'm unhappy with them about is that they didn't let me work there for another 7-10 years.

LisaJohn 03-07-2021 7:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1864339)

J’s department got told one time they were “dilly dallying around”.
So one of the guy’s got tshirts made for everyone in their department.

Mick 03-07-2021 8:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 1864756)
J’s department got told one time they were “dilly dallying around”.
So one of the guy’s got tshirts made for everyone in their department.

:thumbs:

Jeff '79 03-07-2021 8:07am

Question Mick.
Why did you use a realtor?
I have listed 6 properties on Zillow in the past 5 years and sold them all for the asking price or above, 2 within three weeks of listing.
It sounds like you have the skills and time on your hands, so why not save yourself the 6% ?

snide 03-07-2021 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1864763)
Question Mick.
Why did you use a realtor?
I have listed 6 properties on Zillow in the past 5 years and sold them all for the asking price or above, 2 within three weeks of listing.
It sounds like you have the skills and time on your hands, so why not save yourself the 6% ?

:withstupid: That is a fair amount of cash you're leaving on the table. :yesnod: