The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Taking the next step toward retirement . . . (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124568)

Mick 01-08-2021 3:03pm

Taking the next step toward retirement . . .

I started working for a paycheck with SS deductions in 1979. In some way, shape, or form, I have either worked full time, part time, or went to school full time (sometimes more than one of those at the same time) ever since.

In 2012, I got the boot from Corporate America, and went into consulting. I made good money consulting, but could never keep myself fully employed that way, so it was kind of part time, with my property management as another part-time job. I left the consulting company I primarily used in 2016. I have done a few small paying gigs since then, but consider myself retired from consulting.

In 2017, I still had 2 investment properties, which kept me pretty busy (old buildings), but I made decent money. I sold the 3 family last year, and today, listed the 2 family with a realtor. With any luck, it will sell in a few months, and I will be fully retired. :cheers:

DAB 01-08-2021 3:17pm

my investments don't call me at 2am with no hot water.

DJ_Critterus 01-08-2021 3:20pm

When you retire, make sure to tell your boss to go **** himself :yesnod:

:leaving:

Seriously, I'll never buy property to rent out again unless it's making enough money to cover a management and maintenance team while still turning a profit. No way in hell will I rent out again.

mrvette 01-08-2021 3:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1842541)

:leaving:

Seriously, I'll never buy property to rent out again unless it's making enough money to cover a management and maintenance team while still turning a profit. No way in hell will I rent out again.

MY hard earned advice/opinion is NEVER take in any business partners.....it worked fine for my Dad, back when, even in the Wash DC region.....but that is all 80 years ago, ending in '86 or so his experience was fine......even when not paying off some CONNgress person......the few rentals I had over the years were not an issue.....never had a problem.....course I fixed houses for a living so........:dance::D

thecornerman 01-08-2021 3:34pm

Retirement?
We can retire?
F-K, I spent my life savings trying to keep the grand kids from going into a foster home.
Anyone got some cardboard so I can make a "need food sign"

Mike Mercury 01-08-2021 3:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1842536)
I started working for a paycheck with SS deductions in 1979.

for me, I started working for a paycheck with SS deductions in 1974; never missed a 40hr paycheck in the past 46 years. I did go through a period of bad health (long ago), but my employer at that time continued to pay me; it was great they did that.

My magic date is Dec 13, 2021; I turn 66 and 2 months and will switch to part time then. Yeah, part time; I wasn't supposed to live past age 35 so I never did anything on my own for retirement; Social Security only.

ZipZap 01-08-2021 4:37pm

Working since 1976. Punched out on 1 January.

Ready to do what I want to do. Pretty sure they'll come back after my "skills" but it will definitely be on my terms now.

Getting the F out of CA is my next step come Tuesday. Can't wait 'til Gavin comes after my retirement:rofl: They tried this once when I got out of the military in '92, and I expect them to do it again. GFY:D

The_Dude 01-08-2021 4:43pm

Good for you PK. I wish I could say the same. :cert:

99 pewtercoupe 01-08-2021 4:47pm

I retired in Oct 2017 after working full time since June 1973 (other than one 6 month period). I turn 65 this month and have already registered for Medicare but will hold off until at least 2022 for SS. Medicare and my supplement is still about $1,000 a month less than what I was paying for Obama Care.
I have not regretted retiring for a single day. :party:

Wathen1955 01-08-2021 5:14pm

I've been working full time since 1973. I retired in May 2020, after putting in 33 years and 6 months with the company. I haven't touched SS yet, as my full retirement age is 66 and 2 months which will occur on July 2021. I'm currently living off my 401k which is still making $$$ even pulling from it each month, and a small pension.

My biggest mistake - signing up for Medicare the same month I retired and my birthday which I turned 65. So my Medicare cost is now based on what I was making while working so I pay more. Now I have to do an adjustment through SS to have it reduced since I'm no longer working.

Mick 01-08-2021 6:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1842540)

Exactly. One of the reasons why I am ready to leave that kind of self-employment. I've been doing the landlord thing for 15 years. It paid a lot of bills, and padded the kids' college savings accounts, so I have no regrets. But it really isn't doing much for me now that I can't do with some other way that doesn't involve me essentially being a slave to a bunch of whiners who are renting because they don't have the where with all to get off their ass and do something for themselves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1842541)

I've always said, the downside of self-employment is that I have an asshole for a boss. If I'm sick, or hurt, or just plain exhausted, he doesn't care. I tell him to **** off hoping I'll get fired, and he doesn't care about that either. No win situation. :yesnod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1842545)
MY hard earned advice/opinion is NEVER take in any business partners.....it worked fine for my Dad, back when, even in the Wash DC region.....but that is all 80 years ago, ending in '86 or so his experience was fine......even when not paying off some CONNgress person......the few rentals I had over the years were not an issue.....never had a problem.....course I fixed houses for a living so........:dance::D

My only business partner is my wife. We met when we were teenagers, so I'm pretty sure we'll be taking it long-term. Between the two rentals and the house where I live, yeah, I feel like I have been fixing houses for a living for the last 5 years. Getting rid of the property last year really opened my eyes to how much time I spend keeping up with the bullshit associated with 100 year old buildings, and I've had enough!

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecornerman (Post 1842547)
Retirement?
We can retire?
F-K, I spent my life savings trying to keep the grand kids from going into a foster home.

Sorry to hear that. I don't have any grandchildren yet, and at least so far, the kids are fully independent, so I can focus on me and the wife at this time. I am aware that this can change in an instant.

Dan Dlabay 01-08-2021 6:04pm

I retired in Dec. 2018. As a friend said it is now your time.:cert:

snide 01-08-2021 7:08pm

Quote:

Retirement?
We can retire?

PM your address. I'll send you a cardboard box that you can use to make a couple of signs. The box will also contain two of the main ingredients for Cashew "Chicken", so you'll at least have a couple of meals. :seasix::seasix:

:cheers:

thecornerman 01-08-2021 7:31pm

Lol

Anjdog2003 01-08-2021 7:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dude (Post 1842565)
I wish I could say the same. :cert:

This was enough.

Quote:

I started working for a paycheck with SS deductions in 1979. In some way, shape, or form, I have either worked full time, part time, or went to school full time (sometimes more than one of those at the same time) ever since.

In 2012, I got the boot from Corporate America, and went into consulting. I made good money consulting, but could never keep myself fully employed that way, so it was kind of part time, with my property management as another part-time job. I left the consulting company I primarily used in 2016. I have done a few small paying gigs since then, but consider myself retired from consulting.

In 2017, I still had 2 investment properties, which kept me pretty busy (old buildings), but I made decent money. I sold the 3 family last year, and today, listed the 2 family with a realtor. With any luck, it will sell in a few months, and I will be fully retired. :cheers:

Mick 03-03-2021 5:11pm

Today, I took the next step. I listed my property for $540,000, and today, singed a contract to sell for $505,000. I now have a "proposed" retirement date of 4/30/21 if the deal finds its way to closing on the proposed date of 4/29/21. Fingers crossed! :thumbs:

Egnalf 03-03-2021 6:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1863648)
Today, I took the next step. I listed my property for $540,000, and today, singed a contract to sell for $505,000. I now have a "proposed" retirement date of 4/30/21 if the deal finds its way to closing on the proposed date of 4/29/21. Fingers crossed! :thumbs:

***sang. Or..***signed

ZipZap 03-03-2021 6:26pm

Quote:

Good job! Only been a couple months but I haven't looked back. I've been going through so much crap that I collected, it's insane. Home weighs at least a ton less than at the start of the year.

Giraffe (He/Him) 03-03-2021 6:31pm

Quote:

Retirement?

Make that two.

Mick 03-03-2021 6:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egnalf (Post 1863665)
***sang. Or..***signed

Yes, you are correct. I didn't "sing" a contract, I signed a contract. :thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipZap (Post 1863666)
Good job! Only been a couple months but I haven't looked back. I've been going through so much crap that I collected, it's insane. Home weighs at least a ton less than at the start of the year.

I have been working on that for YEARS! My kids have gotten it in the last few years, and their shit has been getting smaller and smaller. Every time I get rid of a pile of shit that belongs to me and the wife, a new pile shows up someplace else. Every, damn, time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasTheGiraffe (Post 1863667)
Make that two.

Late stage divorces will do that. Sorry Bud.

Norm 03-03-2021 6:53pm

Retired over 11 years now, love it.

It is so nice to not have any burdensome responsibilities, crappy but necessary decisions to make, and generally piss people off because they can't do what they want to do. Don't miss any of that shit.

Did I tell you I love my retirement?

Good luck with yours.

MadInNc 03-03-2021 6:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipZap (Post 1863666)

Try moving ie downsizing. My dilemma now...

One trip to new house, 1 trip to dump. Goodwill et al places every two weeks when truck can be filled.

Been through one day corporate moves. This time 3-4 boxes/ bins per day. Wife is boss on this :yesnod:

2 more weeks to go till final :seasix:

BayouCountry 03-03-2021 7:32pm

Quote:

When I first starting talking about retirement four years ago my already retired friends said go for it. I'm glad I did. The weird thing is I now wonder how I had the time to get things done when I was working full time and raising two daughters.

I sold most of my stuff and moved cross country to be close to the grandkids. I haven't looked back. Time to pour another Makers 46.

Good luck to you. My 1/3 interest in a rental back in Kali is in escrow. Looks like I may have a boat dock built this year thanks to the sale. Jet Drive Outboards look like a good option for me on this shallow river.

73sbVert 03-03-2021 9:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1842549)
for me, I started working for a paycheck with SS deductions in 1974; never missed a 40hr paycheck in the past 46 years. I did go through a period of bad health (long ago), but my employer at that time continued to pay me; it was great they did that.

My magic date is Dec 13, 2021; I turn 66 and 2 months and will switch to part time then. Yeah, part time; I wasn't supposed to live past age 35 so I never did anything on my own for retirement; Social Security only.

Luckily, you have that sweet, purty young thang to take care of you when yer all decrepit and shit!

:cheers:

Chuck A 03-03-2021 10:14pm

mine can be very soon, indeed:yesnod:

Blademaker 03-04-2021 9:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1842540)

Neither do my rental properties.
It's why I hired a property management company. Best $$$ I've spent, worth every nickel. Tenant has a problem, they call the management company at 2 am. They have it fixed and send me a bill.
Another nice thing is that the properties are now worth 2 1/2 times what I paid for them 10 years ago.
No complaints. :seasix:

Congrats on your upcoming retirement, You've earned it. :hurray:

Raazor 03-04-2021 9:54am

Quote:

I remember your consulting adventures in Riyadh (or wherever the **** you were) back in the day.

Good for you old timer :grouphug::grouphug::spider:

Steve_R 03-04-2021 9:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadInNc (Post 1863675)
Try moving ie downsizing. My dilemma now...

One trip to new house, 1 trip to dump. Goodwill et al places every two weeks when truck can be filled.

Been through one day corporate moves. This time 3-4 boxes/ bins per day. Wife is boss on this :yesnod:

2 more weeks to go till final :seasix:

Moving across the country is much easier and less stressful than moving across town. BTDT.

Raazor 03-04-2021 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1863805)
Moving across the country is much easier and less stressful than moving across town. BTDT.

Moving to a FREE area helps :yesnod:

Mike Mercury 03-04-2021 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 73sbVert (Post 1863722)
Luckily, you have that sweet, purty young thang to take care of you when yer all decrepit and shit!

Yep (unless she runs-off with the pool guy)

:eek:

Mick 03-04-2021 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 1863802)
I remember your consulting adventures in Riyadh (or wherever the **** you were) back in the day.

Good for you old timer :grouphug::grouphug::spider:

Dubai. Yeah, I'm glad to be done with that shit. I did the consulting gig for 4 years, that was more than enough. I've done the "semi-retired" thing for 5 years, and I've had enough of that. I would like to play a round of real golf this summer. :thumbs:

Chuck A 03-04-2021 11:07am

can you gals and guys give the age you retired at? I am 57 years old and really thinking about it, will be hard but the job has really been hitting the bad nerves mahyb e its bec ause of getting older or just had enough of the daily grind:yesnod:

ZipZap 03-04-2021 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck A (Post 1863821)
can you gals and guys give the age you retired at? I am 57 years old and really thinking about it, will be hard but the job has really been hitting the bad nerves mahyb e its bec ause of getting older or just had enough of the daily grind:yesnod:

Combination of COVID BS, work BS, and CA BS probably cut my career short by two years.

dvarapala 03-04-2021 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1863805)

That has not been my experience. :nono:

Every cross-country move has problems: lost/broken items, missed dates, lack of crew, etc.

With local moves they show up, move your shit, and it's all done the same day. Never had anything broken or missing in a local move.

JetMechZ16 03-04-2021 12:02pm

I just want you to know I've always considered you fully retarded,,, uh err ,,, I mean retired. :island14:

Mick 03-04-2021 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMechZ16 (Post 1863842)
I just want you to know I've always considered you fully retarded,,, uh err ,,, I mean retired. :island14:

Good.

I got kicked out of Corporate America when I was 48, and never found another full-time job. I consulted and managed my two investment properties until i was 52, when I left the consulting gig. I considered that "semi-retired". Sold my big building last year, and now selling the little one, I just turned 57.

I will still do my options trading though, which does require time and effort, so it is kind of like work, but I don't have a boss other than my wife.

ZipZap 03-04-2021 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1863836)
That has not been my experience. :nono:

Every cross-country move has problems: lost/broken items, missed dates, lack of crew, etc.

With local moves they show up, move your shit, and it's all done the same day. Never had anything broken or missing in a local move.

Moved recently back to CO from LA. Done probably 5 moves with a company. This was the first time that a move was done with no loss, and no breakage. The only thing that was damaged was a dresser pull. 2 bucks. I was amazed.

73sbVert 03-04-2021 1:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1863808)
Yep (unless she runs-off with the pool guy)

:eek:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

She's stuck with your mug for the last few decades, I doubt the "pool guy" is any threat!

(Hmmm, where's my old skimmer...?) :D

Dan47 03-04-2021 5:33pm

Good luck to the OP and all our other retired/retiring members. I've been getting calls asking if I'm accepting cash offers on a small commercial property that I own and have my business in. I've been here almost thirty years now and thought selling and retirement were what I wanted but the idea makes me nauseous now.

I imagine a big enough offer would cure the nausea but I'd be tempted to find something similar and keep growing or find a way to earn more with my current property. Just don't feel ready for retirement.

Mike Mercury 03-05-2021 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 73sbVert (Post 1863857)
I doubt the "pool guy" is any threat!

and that's another issue.... we don't have a pool :shrug:

73sbVert 03-05-2021 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1864176)
and that's another issue.... we don't have a pool :shrug:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Blademaker 03-05-2021 4:52pm

Quote:

Sold my business.
NO Regrets

6 Shooter 03-05-2021 5:54pm

Congrat’s - Enjoy your golden years! 🤙

:groupwave:

Mick 03-05-2021 6:01pm

I think I passed another milestone today, I got called "the worst employee ever". I am totally serious!

Cliffs: STFU Raazor.

The story: As some of you know, I am good friends with a guy that lives 3 houses up the street from me, and he owns the local bike shop, where I hang out and drink beer sometimes. Today, I tweaked my knee working on my rental property, called it a day, and headed over to my Bud's (Steve) shop for some alcohol treatment.

We're there having a beer, when a woman comes in wanting a tune-up for her bike, but she asks if she can watch Steve do the tune-up, and he agrees. Now there are three of us in the back, and Steve is working on her bike. Customers start coming into the shop, so Steve leaves me and the woman in the back to help the customers. So I am sitting there, drinking a beer, watching the movie "Zombieland" on the TV while Steve helps multiple customers, and the woman tells me that I am "the worst employee ever". I simply responded "Ma'am, I'm way worse than you think." :yesnod:

:rofl:

snide 03-05-2021 6:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1864329)
I think I passed another milestone today, I got called "the worst employee ever". I am totally serious!

The story: As some of you know, I am good friends with a guy that lives 3 houses up the street from me, and he owns the local bike shop, where I hang out and drink beer sometimes. Today, I tweaked my knee working on my rental property, called it a day, and headed over to my Bud's (Steve) shop for some alcohol treatment.

We're there having a beer, when a woman comes in wanting a tune-up for her bike, but she asks if she can watch Steve do the tune-up, and he agrees. Now there are three of us in the back, and Steve is working on her bike. Customers start coming into the shop, so Steve leaves me and the woman in the back to help the customers. So I am sitting there, drinking a beer, watching the movie "Zombieland" on the TV while Steve helps multiple customers, and the woman tells me that I am "the worst employee ever". I simply responded "Ma'am, I'm way worse than you think." :yesnod:

Awesome! :funnier::funnier: You gonna get a t-shirt made up? :funnier:

Mick 03-06-2021 7:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1864339)

That's a great idea!

09CTSV 03-06-2021 7:21am

I've been thinking hard of retirement the last month. My wife and I have picked a state and area to retire to and set a Not Later Than date of next year. After all the BS at work this week I am ready to leave this month.

the new me 03-06-2021 7:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1864329)

Pics of woman?

Chuck A 03-06-2021 7:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blademaker (Post 1864303)
Sold my business.
NO Regrets

very way cool, indeed
If i didn't have kids I properly would have also retired at 50

BayouCountry 03-06-2021 7:32am

Quote:

62. If the numbers work to cover healthcare, taxes, inflation, and most of all entertainment, then go for it. I loved my job until I didn’t.

Chuck A 03-06-2021 7:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09CTSV (Post 1864456)
I've been thinking hard of retirement the last month. My wife and I have picked a state and area to retire to and set a Not Later Than date of next year. After all the BS at work this week I am ready to leave this month.

yea i am also in the same boat, just about had enough of the BS at work:yesnod:

Chuck A 03-06-2021 7:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayouCountry (Post 1864461)
62. If the numbers work to cover healthcare, taxes, inflation, and most of all entertainment, then go for it. I loved my job until I didn’t.

i maybe able to survive at what i have save till 62 nicely but with wife and kids well , very not good, indeed:yesnod:

Mick 03-06-2021 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck A (Post 1864463)
i maybe able to survive at what i have save till 62 nicely but with wife and kids well , very not good, indeed:yesnod:

I couldn't even think about retirement until the kids were on their own, college paid for, and working good jobs. My younger got there in the summer of 2019, that's when the serious discussions about retirement started.

MadInNc 03-06-2021 4:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1864520)
I couldn't even think about retirement until the kids were on their own, college paid for, and working good jobs. My younger got there in the summer of 2019, that's when the serious discussions about retirement started.

Like you, both through college, both married, both w/ houses and basically self sufficient. Bank always open for cars, furnaces and emergencies still.

Then I looked at net worth, age, achievement of goals and told company to piss off. They were nice and paid me full separation, bonus’s etc for full value cash out.

Could of done unemployment but I’m not that kinda guy. 7 yrs now with a couple of consultant gigs early on. But they aren’t worth it as I have to maintain a certain level of income to offset insurance taxes etc.

Living the dream on the original nest egg still :datawiz::cert:

Anjdog2003 03-06-2021 4:11pm

I retired over 10 years ago in my 50's. I enjoyed what i did and liked going to work. Best thing i ever did. I got the chance to get permanently banned from CFOT and bring enlightenment, comradely, and wisdom to the vette barn. :yesnod:

Mick 03-06-2021 4:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjdog2003 (Post 1864602)
I retired over 10 years ago in my 50's. I enjoyed what i did and liked going to work. Best thing i ever did. I got the chance to get permanently banned from CFOT and bring enlightenment, comradely, and wisdom to the vette barn. :yesnod:

I actually really enjoyed my last Corporate gig, and they were very generous with the separation agreement as well. I have said for years, the only thing I'm unhappy with them about is that they didn't let me work there for another 7-10 years.

LisaJohn 03-07-2021 7:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1864339)

J’s department got told one time they were “dilly dallying around”.
So one of the guy’s got tshirts made for everyone in their department.

Mick 03-07-2021 8:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 1864756)
J’s department got told one time they were “dilly dallying around”.
So one of the guy’s got tshirts made for everyone in their department.

:thumbs:

Jeff '79 03-07-2021 8:07am

Question Mick.
Why did you use a realtor?
I have listed 6 properties on Zillow in the past 5 years and sold them all for the asking price or above, 2 within three weeks of listing.
It sounds like you have the skills and time on your hands, so why not save yourself the 6% ?

snide 03-07-2021 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1864763)
Question Mick.
I have listed 6 properties on Zillow in the past 5 years and sold them all for the asking price or above, 2 within three weeks of listing.
It sounds like you have the skills and time on your hands, so why not save yourself the 6% ?

:withstupid: That is a fair amount of cash you're leaving on the table. :yesnod:

Murray 03-07-2021 5:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1864812)
:withstupid: That is a fair amount of cash you're leaving on the table. :yesnod:

When you haven’t a clue, you leave it to the professionals :yesnod:

tjfontaine 03-07-2021 6:04pm

I worked for a very good fortune 500 company ... not too much of this type of thing there. I worked in IT sr. mgmt - we were going through a transition to SAP and the BS was starting to infiltrate my area. I knew I was going to retire within a year that just pushed me sooner. I went at 57 (10 years ago) and zero regrets. Great if you can afford it. I could have/ should have gone a year earlier I could have afforded it easily.

Mick 03-08-2021 7:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1864763)
Question Mick.

Like the last time, I made some effort to sell it myself before hiring a realtor. Thought I had one guy interested this time, then he said he wanted me to finance it, and that was a non-starter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1864812)

I bought the place for $390K less than 4 years ago. I think I'll come out of it OK, even after paying the 5%.

Mick 03-08-2021 7:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murray (Post 1864851)
When you haven’t a clue, you leave it to the professionals :yesnod:

Rent free baby!!!!!!!!

SnikPlosskin 03-08-2021 9:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasTheGiraffe (Post 1863667)
Make that two.

Make that three

73sbVert 03-08-2021 10:02am

Tammy and I are looking at 57 months now until we both retire.
She'll have almost 35 yrs at the VA, and I'll be just past 20 yrs at DoD and eligible to retire. I'll be about 62-1/2, she'll be 57.

Hopefully Bye-den's policies won't ruin our TSP, and allow us to actually retire on time. If not, I'll likely be working until 70. :ack:

ThePirate 03-08-2021 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjdog2003 (Post 1864602)

That's a full time job.

ZipZap 03-08-2021 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjfontaine (Post 1864853)
I worked for a very good fortune 500 company ... not too much of this type of thing there. I worked in IT sr. mgmt - we were going through a transition to SAP and the BS was starting to infiltrate my area. I knew I was going to retire within a year that just pushed me sooner. I went at 57 (10 years ago) and zero regrets. Great if you can afford it. I could have/ should have gone a year earlier I could have afforded it easily.

I used to piss off the S-A-P people when I called it sap. What a tremendous POS that software is. We employed a large staff just to write applications that SAP did not have to interface with SAP. As I was checking out last year, the company was trying to transition to other platforms like Workday, but SAP is so insidiously involved in everything that it will take them years to unwind it.

snide 03-08-2021 8:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipZap (Post 1864952)
I used to piss off the S-A-P people when I called it sap. What a tremendous POS that software is. We employed a large staff just to write applications that SAP did not have to interface with SAP. As I was checking out last year, the company was trying to transition to other platforms like Workday, but SAP is so insidiously involved in everything that it will take them years to unwind it.

The closest I've come to working with SAP is working with a client who was transitioning from PeopleSoft to Oracle HCM Cloud. In the middle of the project, the client acquired a company who was in the process of moving from SAP to Workday. My project team was "retired" and replaced with their counterparts from the acquired company. Not only did this new team know nothing about Oracle, they new nothing of the client's benefit offerings. Had to train them on Oracle, which didn't take long, then Oracle decided to completely revamp the UI. :banghead::funnier::banghead::funnier::banghead::funnier:

My piece went live when it was supposed to, and without major issue, surprisingly.

tjfontaine 03-08-2021 10:48pm

At my former company, they started the SAP journey circa 2009. The plan was to be done by 2016 and have SAP cover 80 percent or so of the company's information systems needs. As time went by , the size of the footprint got smaller and smaller - all the things SAP didn't do all that well. From what I understand now, Salesforce solutions actually has a bigger piece of the pie there now .... I had no part in any of this as I have been gone since 2011.

Mick 03-16-2021 2:02pm

As of a few minutes ago, I am under contract. The "proposed" retirement date is now a "tentatively scheduled" retirement date. Fingers crossed that things go smoothly, and I get to the finish line on 4/30/21. :thumbs: