The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Does anyone else get those calls about your computer ? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84457)

OldSarge 06-23-2015 11:06am

Does anyone else get those calls about your computer ?

I got a call last night, from a guy with a heavy accent, if you know what I mean. Telling me he represents Windows and that my computer is full of virus and ready to crash. I just told him I don't have time for him and then hung up. I am assuming they want to get on your computer and fix the problem, but I am not having any problems with it, that I know. Does anyone else get these, who are these people, how do they get your phone number ? Are they legit or scammers.

sanchez 06-23-2015 11:07am

Probably scammers. Tell him your name is Pradeep and that you are busy.

C5SilverBullet 06-23-2015 11:09am

I have had them call a couple times. I usually just f'k with them a lot.

sanchez 06-23-2015 11:20am

Tell them you are super interested. Keep them on the phone forever. Then ask them if they have accepted Jehovah.

markids77 06-23-2015 11:34am

Did you get your last purchase at Staples? My calls started a few days after I purchased this machine, I knew the calls were BS since the callers script stated my unit had been spewing robomail for 13 days now... I only had the thing a week.

DAB 06-23-2015 11:48am

so how was Peggy... :rofl:

Ol Timer 06-23-2015 12:11pm

I get those and all my equipment is Mac, so I'm guessing not legit.

TripleBlack 06-23-2015 12:43pm

I've had 7 or 8 of these and used to mess with them a lot for fun. Lately I've been telling them I'm very concerned but can they "call back on my land line." They always agree and I give them the number for the local FBI office.

Uncle Meat 06-23-2015 12:57pm

I haven't got one of these calls in a long while now... but when I did I screwed with them BIG TIME! I pretended to be a COMPLETE IDIOT as far as computers are involved. They would tell me to right click on this or double click on that and I'd ask them what a "Double Click" was? Stuff like that. I'd keep them on the line for 20 minutes and we wouldn't get more than a step or two into their spiel before I had them so flustered they just hung up!

U.M.

P.S. Yes these calls are a complete scam! They will try to get you to click on a web link which will infect your PC with malware and/or other nasty bugs.

lspencer534 06-23-2015 1:03pm

I just tell them, "Sure I'm interested in computer help! But first let me tell you about Amway...."

DukeAllen 06-23-2015 1:27pm

It could be serious! They may have gotten your number through a back door virus in your PC. Better give us your passwords so we can check :D

Madmikeee 06-23-2015 1:57pm

Yes, I then start talking to them using my best APU from the simpsons impression. They usually get pretty pissed off about 3 minutes in and hang up on me. :D

Madmikeee 06-23-2015 1:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeAllen (Post 1371635)
It could be serious! They may have gotten your number through a back door virus in your PC. Better give us your passwords so we can check :D

We will also need your credit card info as well as the 3 digit security code on the back. You know, In case we need to check to make sure it wasn't stolen or anything.

Aerovette 06-23-2015 2:00pm

They called me yesterday. I acted like I went into a total panic. I set the phone down and started yelling " Everyone shutdown your computers, we are under attack". I picked up the phone and asked what I needed to do next? He hung up.

Iron Chef 06-23-2015 2:06pm

:skep:

Who has time to mess with these morons? I never answer my cell when I receive a call from another state.

If it's someone I know, their name is programmed into my phone. If it's an unknown caller they can leave a message and I'll follow up if it's legit. If there's no message (and there usually isn't), the number is blocked. Done. Simple.

71corv 06-23-2015 8:54pm

Had the call today. Like most, I wasted 10 minutes fooling with this woman. Finally told her to get a like and go F---- herself. No call back yet.

Gene :D

MrPeabody 06-23-2015 8:58pm

Every day.

If you have a three year old in the house, give them the phone and tell them it's Santa Claus.:leaving:

OddBall 06-23-2015 9:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1371873)
Every day.

If you have a three year old in the house, give them the phone and tell them it's Santa Claus.:leaving:

:funnier: