The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Doing the right thing? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123625)

sublime1996525 09-12-2020 9:00pm

Doing the right thing?

Am I doing the right thing?

My German Shepherd is 11 years old and has the most ****ed up condition. He has spondolosis, which normally isn’t bad. But he has my luck so it’s pressing on his spinal cord and causing paralysis in his back legs. Now he has also lost control of his bowels and bladder. So when I’m at work, he pees and poops and just lays in it.

I have made an appointment to put him down tomorrow. I’ve been a mess all day. I’m sure it’s the right thing but he still seems mostly happy and is still with it. Tomorrow is going to be one of the hardest things I’ve done.

Raazor 09-12-2020 9:04pm

Sorry to hear this. Our furry friends become SO close to us :grouphug:

bill_daniels 09-12-2020 9:06pm

I hate these threads, and I'm so sorry for you, because I've faced the same agonizing decision. You're his best friend, and you're acting out of love, you're doing the very best you can for your best friend.

Stay strong. My only suggestion is, if you have a friend that can drive you, do that. When I took Champ in for the final time, I don't think I would have been able to make it home.

You are doing the right thing.

snide 09-12-2020 9:15pm

Franklin, I don't envy you in this position. You're doing the right thing for your best friend. :angel:

JRD77VET 09-12-2020 9:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1805224)

You are doing the right thing.

:iagree: You are making the right decision and yes, it sucks big time.

Sorry :sad:

LisaJohn 09-12-2020 9:18pm

I’m so sorry. BTDT a few times. Confirm with your vet that this is the time. I wish someone had driven me home. The big, burly vet tech teared up. My JRT had bladder cancer and lived 9 months after being diagnosed. :sadangel:

Defib1961 09-12-2020 9:25pm

So sorry. :sadangel:

markids77 09-12-2020 9:25pm

You know it is time. Be strong and do the right thing.

BOTY 09-12-2020 9:25pm

I'm sorry buddy. We have traveled that road before and our newest GSD is now 11 and the time will be coming way to soon. :sadangel: Take heart in that you are your dogs best friend and family. :yesnod:

sublime1996525 09-12-2020 9:26pm

I’m having the Vet come to my house. I know I wouldn’t be able to drive.

dwjz06 09-12-2020 9:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublime1996525 (Post 1805215)

My German Shepherd is 11 years old and has the most ****ed up condition. He has spondolosis, which normally isn’t bad. But he has my luck so it’s pressing on his spinal cord and causing paralysis in his back legs. Now he has also lost control of his bowels and bladder. So when I’m at work, he pees and poops and just lays in it.

I have made an appointment to put him down tomorrow. I’ve been a mess all day. I’m sure it’s the right thing but he still seems mostly happy and is still with it. Tomorrow is going to be one of the hardest things I’ve done.

Damn Franklin I am sorry. I hated doing this too, but do what the vet says man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1805233)
Franklin, I don't envy you in this position. You're doing the right thing for your best friend. :angel:

:seasix:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOTY (Post 1805243)
I'm sorry buddy. We have traveled that road before and our newest GSD is now 11 and the time will be coming way to soon. :sadangel: Take heart in that you are your dogs best friend and family. :yesnod:

:iagree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublime1996525 (Post 1805244)

:sadangel: good luck sir.:sadangel:

Anjdog2003 09-12-2020 9:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublime1996525 (Post 1805244)

Slimeheim suck it up. You want the last person your dog see's is the Vet. You be the last person your dog see's. :yesnod:

BOTY 09-12-2020 9:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjdog2003 (Post 1805273)
Slimeheim suck it up. You want the last person your dog see's is the Vet. You be the last person your dog see's. :yesnod:

He will be. I struggled trying to carry a near lifeless pup into the vets office. :sadangel:

Loco Vette 09-12-2020 9:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublime1996525 (Post 1805215)

He's suffering and you can help him. It sucks but he will be happy, chasing tails in a better place.

When you feel better go watch "The Art of Racing in the Rain" and realize that what you have done/are planning to do is the best thing for him.

Rikki Z-06 09-12-2020 9:53pm

Sorry to hear Limey, stay strong brother. :sadangel:

MadInNc 09-12-2020 10:04pm

Sorry Franklin.. it’s hard been there a few times. One of hardest things to do, but in my case (as in yours) could and had to be done. Be there for the doggo...

sublime1996525 09-12-2020 10:26pm

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the support! It means a lot.

mrvette 09-13-2020 2:00am

:sadangel:

Same thing we went through 3x last spring.....first my wife's mother passed on, then the 14 y/o chiwawa died a month later, taken to vet and put down to end the suffering, seems similar to what the OP is observing.....then the smaller sister cat was sickly and up and disappeared...ran off to die.....her larger brother is still here, but these days jumps up on my chair arm about a dozen times a day.....get rubbed and petted....last of our pets......

:shots::dance:

86RAG 09-13-2020 7:09am

:sadangel:

Little Red L98. 09-13-2020 9:00am

Very sorry to hear this. Yes you are doing the right thing. I have an 11 y.o. that I’ll have to deal with this sooner or later. Sucks man. :sad: