The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Noise under the hood (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2699)

1TZSLO 04-21-2010 2:49pm

Noise under the hood

So last night on my way home from work. I was on Harpers Road and its kinda bumpy and I started hearing this clanking type noise whenever I would hit a bump. I recently had sway bars and endlinks installed I was thinking maybe they were loose. As soon as i pull out of my apartment complex I hear it instantly when I go over a speed bump slow.

So today i pulled it in the hobby shop here at oceana, and put it on the lift.
Besides my AC compressor making noise if I cut the AC on, nothing else seemed to be loose at all what so ever. The suspension arms, exhuast sway bars, it all was tight. so I am at a loss of what it could be. it honestly sounds like something is loose but everything underneath seems fine.

Maybe a broken motor mount? I never heard it before the clutch/sways bars were installed. It is loowered from the previous owner . Am I finally just hearing more because of the stiffer sway bars or are the shocks shot?
Any ideas? If anyone is in the area I can take you for a ride and you can hear it if you like, Brian, or anyone close.
Thanks

1TZSLO 04-21-2010 3:06pm

Doing some searches on CF, and some way maybe the endlinks are bad, which mine are brand new from GMparts house along with the Z51 Sway bars, Some also say the bushings are making this popping or clanking sound. And they need to be greased?
Like from this guy on CF
"If it isn't the endlinks, it could also be the u-shaped brackets that hold it in place on each side.. there are bushings inside the brackets and the sway bar rotates inside it.. I had a popping noise that wouldn't go away same symptoms you all describe on my C5Z and I finally traced it to those bushings. I loosened them up, greased the surface and re-tightened them. Problem solved.. "

Eagleeye 04-21-2010 7:06pm

Checked inner wheel wells, front air dam and frame, brake rotor dust shields ? I've had those things to nag the heck out of me ! Usually takes 2-3 buddies listening to find the culprit tan then it will be something like....oops - just found my 10 mm end wrench ! Good luck.

1TZSLO 04-21-2010 7:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagleeye (Post 33845)
Checked inner wheel wells, front air dam and frame, brake rotor dust shields ? I've had those things to nag the heck out of me ! Usually takes 2-3 buddies listening to find the culprit tan then it will be something like....oops - just found my 10 mm end wrench ! Good luck.

Well if it only does it when driving and hitt bumps, yet i can push the car up and down and it doesnt do it or maybe im not flexing hte suspension hard enuff just pushing it.

I guess ill check out the shocks tomorrow to see if the nuts are loose since i didnt check those the best.

1TZSLO 04-21-2010 8:26pm

Got to reading some more, could it possibly be my Ball Joints?

Sneaks 04-21-2010 8:54pm

Put lithium grease on the U brackets holding the bars. More than likely it's binding and making the noise you're hearing.
Also, check to make sure your caliper bolts are nice and tight. A loose one can give you a pretty good clunk when hitting bumps.
Let us know what you find.
:thumbs:

1TZSLO 04-21-2010 9:43pm

Thanks, just drove home and when i was on smooth surface i would swerve side to side, NO noise, but as soon as i hit bumps there it is.

1TZSLO 04-23-2010 1:03pm

Well took the Vette into the Hobby shop here at oceana to check torque specs on my sways bars and all. Well everything is as expected all complied to specs. All my bushings on the control arms look fine. The brakes are on there secured.
Only thing I found loose was the hood stopper and I raised it up a few spins and tightened it down.

The next best guess would be my shocks are crap and they are bottoming out?

Cobra4B 04-23-2010 1:44pm

I'll be home between 4 and 4:30 and have to mow the grass then going to the gym.... if you want to come over around then I'd be more than happy to check it out with you.

My address is:

985 Wasserman Dr.
Va Beach, VA 23454

-Brian

mariofromnewyork 04-23-2010 6:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra4B (Post 34031)
I'll be home between 4 and 4:30 and have to mow the grass then going to the gym.... if you want to come over around then I'd be more than happy to check it out with you.

Stand up Guy right there!

Thats what this forum is all about!

Mario
:flag:

1TZSLO 04-23-2010 6:29pm

Yeppers Ill be at Brians Sunday to take off the front sway bar and regrease it. Thanks again

Cobra4B 04-23-2010 7:06pm

Swaybar bushings do make noise when you hit bumps, but they creak.... they don't make clanking noises.

Have you looked over your exhaust, since it's custom fabbed, to make sure nothing is hitting? Maybe a hanger broke or something.... either way we'll yank the wheels and put it up in the air Sunday... that's what air tools are for.

WKMCD 04-23-2010 7:25pm

Did you resuse the rubber bushings from your stock bars which are a smaller diameter?

Cobra4B 04-23-2010 7:40pm

I doubt he'd have been able to get them on... plus any issues that would cause would present instantly.

1TZSLO 04-23-2010 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WKMCD (Post 34047)
Did you resuse the rubber bushings from your stock bars which are a smaller diameter?

no the bushing were new from GMpartshouse. and the exhaust i looked at it, but i am not the most mechanically inclined for vettes. so i may be missing something.

1TZSLO 04-23-2010 10:29pm

Even tonight on the way home from work, it sounds bad. honestly like somethingis about to fall off. and when I hit the speed bump at my apartments itwas loud.