The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Chase kind of pissed me off (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125662)

Aerovette 05-01-2021 11:57am

Chase kind of pissed me off

I got a great offer for a Chase card. I am 100% against hard inquiries and watch my scores VERY closely. This offer was going to play well in to my vacation plans in October. 3 miles for every dollar spent, 5% rewards, No baggage fee and preferred boarding. Reluctantly, I accepted the inquiry and applied.

I have three Chase accounts. I received notice that my application was approved and I would get my card in the mail. I went to their site to see what the limit was since the letter didn't say.

Well the jacktards gave me a decent credit limit, but they lowered another card's limit, by that exact amount. WTF?

I have zero debt aside from my house. Why would they do that? I'm low risk.

:mad:

Nox 05-01-2021 12:03pm

Maybe you should cancel the other card and ask that they raise the limit on your new card by the exact amount of your cancelled card? :yesnod:

Aerovette 05-01-2021 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nox (Post 1878250)
Maybe you should cancel the other card and ask that they raise the limit on your new card by the exact amount of your cancelled card? :yesnod:

Canceling cards has its own detrimental effects. There is not really a path to victory aside from rarely using the cards. I charge just enough to keep them active in case something catastrophic should happen and I need them.

Mike Mercury 05-01-2021 12:14pm

https://i.imgflip.com/2o0dzu.jpg

Aerovette 05-01-2021 12:22pm

^^^^^ This is 100% accurate.

Thunder22 05-01-2021 12:58pm

Just call customer service and request that it be put back.

Aerovette 05-01-2021 1:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1878265)

I have done this before. Bank of America lowered my limit on a card I rarely use. I was told I could "apply" for an increase.

Thunder22 05-01-2021 1:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1878267)
I have done this before. Bank of America lowered my limit on a card I rarely use. I was told I could "apply" for an increase.

BofA policies have no bearing on Chase accounts :)

snide 05-01-2021 2:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1878265)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1878267)

You want an increase on that line? Charge something up to the limit, carry it for a couple of months, pay it down the next month. You'll get an increase in the limit. Then pay it off.

Torqaholic 05-01-2021 2:59pm

Only thing that makes sense regarding limits is they're gaming people who make minimum payments. It's all about those interest dollars.

My limit has always been very low. I don't do minimum payments. The only way they have of making money off of me is with a late payment penalty if/when I misplace the bill.

Aerovette 05-01-2021 4:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torqaholic (Post 1878285)
Only thing that makes sense regarding limits is they're gaming people who make minimum payments. It's all about those interest dollars.

My limit has always been very low. I don't do minimum payments. The only way they have of making money off of me is with a late payment penalty if/when I misplace the bill.

Same here. 99.9% of the time, I am technically buying in advance of payday. I get paid, they get paid off.

Cool 50th AE 05-01-2021 7:16pm

Is this something to do about a derr head?

dvarapala 05-01-2021 10:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1878253)
Canceling cards has its own detrimental effects.

I used to have a Chase credit card. A few years ago they unilaterally closed the account because I hadn't used the card for a long period of time. The impact to my credit score was insignificant and temporary; today my FICO score is hovering around 840. :shrug:

BayouCountry 05-02-2021 6:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torqaholic (Post 1878285)

Same here. I have never paid interest on a credit card while accumulating the added bonus of traveler miles. The only time I mess with cash is to buy treats for the grandkids. I hate coins chinking around in my pocket.

As others mentioned, just call them up to increase the credit limit. I have even had late changes removed.

Aerovette 05-02-2021 10:15am

I just called Chase. That was 10 minutes I'll never get back. I'd rather read a Adog thread.

Torqaholic 05-02-2021 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1878446)
I just called Chase. That was 10 minutes I'll never get back. I'd rather read a Adog thread.

Can cut the time in half. The trick is to ignore the automated selection process by pressing zero. Zero is not one of the options you will be offered but just keep doing that until it says you're being connected to a customer service rep. Won't be long until you're talking to a human. Works for me :D

dvarapala 05-03-2021 12:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1878446)
I just called Chase.

What did you call them? :shrug:

JetMechZ16 05-03-2021 6:34am

Chase sucks. They did a double withdrawal for my mortgage about 2 days apart once. Caused the second unauthorized withdrawal to be refused for insufficient funds. Then they tried telling me my account was in default although there were no late payments. They couldn't even explain how I could be in default if all my payments were up to date and never late. They said because the 2nd unauthorized withdrawal attempt was denied that made me " In default "

Doesn't matter anymore as I have no mortgage payments now.

Wathen1955 05-03-2021 10:35am

**** Chase. My son who was stationed in Iraq, I was managing his credit card from Chase. They refused to lower his interest rate to 0% and freeze the monthly charges per the law. I finally had to write them a letter explaining that my son was stationed in Iraq and would be there for at least 1 year, even though he told them this already. I had to tell them about the fed law about soldiers in the military, they finally gave up and changed it.
Funny thing is, when my son was back home, they sent him a $500 check. I told him he should reject it and sue their ****ing ass, but he took the money instead.

bsmith 05-03-2021 10:58am

Years ago I had a Chase card and liked one of their newer cards better...so I called them and they "transferred" it.
Same limit, shows the date the original account was opened, no credit inquiry.

Only problem was that I had to cash out the rewards on the original card, they couldn't be transferred to the other program.

Did the same thing with Citi.