The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Police response time to my house - less than four minutes (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124545)

BADRACR1 01-05-2021 10:00pm

Police response time to my house - less than four minutes

And yes, a three year old can dial 911 from a locked cell phone.

I live on a main road in my little city. Cars get stopped all the time and we see lights flashing every couple of weeks close to the house. If close I usually walked outside and smoke, kind of keeping an eye on things.

Tonight while cooking dinner we sent Callie (the seven year old) to look for Carson, three in May. He was in our room. Wife asked Callie if he was messing with the TV and Callie said no, just playing with her phone.

Just a couple of minutes later we saw lights and Rita said it looked like they had someone stopped in front of the house. I grabbed a cigar and my jacket and about that time the dogs went ape shit. I opened the door and lo and behold, one of my city's finest was just about to knock. I asked if I could help him and he asked if someone had sent a 911 SOS call from this address. I replied we didn't have a land line and he said he believed it was a cell number and began to roll it off. I said, yep, that's the wife's phone.

I told Rita to set the dogs out back and invited him in, reassuring him all was okay. I explained that the grandson had her phone but it was supposed to be locked. He said one could still dial 911 from a locked phone, and asked if I was sure everything was okay. I again invited him in, and he looked and saw Callie sitting on the couch watching tv, Rita looking very embarrassed, Carson standing by my side saying "Hey!", and me fighting a laugh. He smiled, said, "No, that's okay. Everyone looks fine and happy."

I apologized for the trouble and any concern the boy may have caused. He laughed and said that was okay, likely be his easiest call of the night. I thanked him for his service and time and complimented the fast response. He then departed, and we set the cell phone on top of the mantle.
Out of reach of the boy.

If you've ever seen "The Incredibles" now you'll know why Carson's nickname is Jack-Jack.

z06psi 01-05-2021 10:05pm

It would take the Sheriff 20 mins to get here and that is why I shoot first.

BOTY 01-05-2021 10:08pm

Emergency call is available on a locked phone. :seasix: Glad every thing is good. :cert:

BADRACR1 01-05-2021 10:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06psi (Post 1841561)

Luckily I had the pop gun in my pocket when I opened the door and not in my hand!

BADRACR1 01-05-2021 10:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOTY (Post 1841562)
Emergency call is available on a locked phone. :seasix: Glad every thing is good. :cert:

Yes, and it is possible to randomly dial 911.

z06psi 01-05-2021 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADRACR1 (Post 1841574)
Luckily I had the pop gun in my pocket when I opened the door and not in my hand!

If you're not black then you are good.:leaving:

Aerovette 01-06-2021 12:02am

In my county, they'd roll by late Friday or maybe early next week. They wouldn't actually stop, just roll by.

Old Ben 01-06-2021 6:44am

Quote:

Same here except it would be closer to 15 minutes. My DIL is a dispatcher at the Sherrif Department.

6spdC6 01-06-2021 8:18am

Quote:

A good chance a 1/2 hour for our LEOs, both state and sheriffs. We live out at the end of a large county, no cell service and still plenty of places with very bad public safety radio. Almost exactly at the end of two state police zones. For the most part our rural area is peaceful and other than a occasional drive through hardly see cops up here. :D, That also means hardly no speed enforcement.

Mick 01-06-2021 8:23am

10+ years ago, some shit stain was at our house installing kitchen back-splash tiling. He didn't like something my wife had done, words were exchanged, and he threatened to "beat her up". She calls me at work, and I said she should call the police. She didn't want to, and wanted to call the tile store. I said fine, do that, and I called the local Po-po. I was on the phone with the PD for about a minute, and called my wife back. Not 30 seconds into that call, I hear the doorbell ring. Definitely less than a minute from when they took down my address to an officer at the door. It was impressive.

And no, I don't want to see my local PD "defunded".

Rodnok1 01-06-2021 8:26am

A few miles away there is a new county park that the police sit in alot of the time as it's around the corner from a problem area so I bet response most of the time would be excellent. Being we're on county border and so far out I'm suprised at the number we see cruising around.

DJ_Critterus 01-06-2021 10:47am

The LEOs around here only move fast when there's a chance to increase revenue income.

dvarapala 01-06-2021 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1841650)
10+ years ago, some shit stain was at our house installing kitchen back-splash tiling. He didn't like something my wife had done, words were exchanged, and he threatened to "beat her up".

So what did she do to piss him off? :shrug:

Quote:

Definitely less than a minute from when they took down my address to an officer at the door. It was impressive.

And no, I don't want to see my local PD "defunded".
So 10+ years ago your police department was very responsive. Good to know, ICLT. :thumbs:

DAB 01-06-2021 11:18am

many years ago, pre-cell phone, we were at home one evening, prepping dinner, and Mrs. DAB needed a number, so picked up the land line, and dialed 411 (info), except she actually dialed 911. realized her mistake, hung up, and properly dialed 411.

meanwhile, the call gets logged, they try calling back, but alas, she had the line tied up with her call to 411, so they send out a cruiser. about 5 min later, knock at the front door. i answer, see the police guy in uniform, and ask him if I can help him.

he tells us about the 911 call, I look over at Mrs. DAB, and she looks totally embarrassed. OOPS. no officer, all is well, we're having dinner, and it's just the two of us. sorry for the bother.

for future reference, if you do make a 911 call by mistake, just call back and explain it was a mistake.