The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Emergency in the Plane this Afternoon...Scary! (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119366)

StaticCling 05-13-2019 7:00pm

Emergency in the Plane this Afternoon...Scary!

Airplane wasn't making power on departure. Loss of RPM on the Crosswind Turn. Was thinking about landing on the freeway. Limped it to pattern altitude and made the runway. Rolled out the crash crew and everything.

While all this was happening, my life did not flash before my eyes.

You wanna know what my first thought was?

"I need a drink"

I'm serious. That was the first thought in my mind. :Jeff '79:

JRD77VET 05-13-2019 7:10pm

Glad you are here to let us know. :angel:

You a passenger on the plane?

MrPeabody 05-13-2019 7:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1670145)
Airplane wasn't making power on departure. Loss of RPM on the Crosswind Turn. Was thinking about landing on the freeway. Limped it to pattern altitude and made the runway. Rolled out the crash crew and everything.

While all this was happening, my life did not flash before my eyes.

You wanna know what my first thought was?

"I need a drink"

I'm serious. That was the first thought in my mind. :Jeff '79:

That's why they have bars at airports. :shots:

Glad you're okay.:seasix:

StaticCling 05-13-2019 7:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1670149)
Glad you are here to let us know. :angel:

You a passenger on the plane?

News/Traffic Reporter, Radio Gig.

JRD77VET 05-13-2019 7:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1670151)
News/Traffic Reporter, Radio Gig.

:yesnod: You have a pilot or you fly and talk?

StaticCling 05-13-2019 7:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1670155)
:yesnod: You have a pilot or you fly and talk?

I'm the "Talent" I just report. :Jeff '79:

Datawiz 05-13-2019 7:46pm

:datawiz:

Ol Timer 05-13-2019 8:01pm

You’re just supposed to report the news, not be the news!

99 pewtercoupe 05-13-2019 8:10pm

Change of underwear required?

markids77 05-13-2019 8:13pm

Buy your pilot a toddy, and join him in fellowship. "Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing." Celebrate it.

NEED-A-VETTE 05-13-2019 9:11pm

I legit went to KFI’s website to see if they reported on it. :leaving:

LilRedCorvette 05-13-2019 11:05pm

Glad you're still around to keep feeding Sam those Cheez-Its! :hurray: :seasix:

JetMechZ16 05-14-2019 7:17am

That reminds me of the trip home from one of my deployments.

I was on our last P-3 leaving Sigonella. The skipper was flying, weather, temps, and power requirements were all figured out early about 0800. Finally at about 1030-1100 we went to take off. Just below rotation speed the flight engineer called a low power on #1. The Skipper called to abort the takeoff and the flight engineer pulled all four engines into reverse, as he did this #3 flamed out and the prop started driving itself to the feathered position. As it did this it was driving the blade angle from reverse to full feather and put a huge amount of drag on #3 side of the aircraft which tried to drive us off the runway while we were still at speed. The skipper countered with full rudder and he regained control. We taxied back to the ramp and started to assess what happened.

After some discussion it was determined that the low power wasn't really a low power. The temps had gone up enough to affect the engine output and when recalculated it was within spec.

So now what cause the flameout on #3? We had been having problems with this engine and an RPM flux. We had changed the prop control and believed it was fixed, but apparently it was not. I told the skipper that if it was not the prop control it was likely the fuel control although the telltale signs of it being a fuel control were not there (no fuel flow fluxuation) There was not a fuel control to be had at Sigonella at the time so the Skipper wanted to know if the aircraft would make it home. I told him yes but we had to baby #3 into reverse or it would flame out again.

So we take off again uneventfully and fly to the Azores stopping for fuel. Before we land the Skipper tells me he wants me to bring #3 into reverse while the FE controls the other 3 engines. This was kind of awkward as there was not a seat for me and I was on the floor reaching between the FE and the controls to grab the power lever for #3. When we landed the FE brought the other 3 engines into reverse at the normal pace and I brought #3 into reverse at a much slower pace to allow the engine to keep up with the prop blade angle position.

We did this again in Keflavik Iceland, Bermuda, and finally Jax Florida.

Mike Mercury 05-14-2019 7:53am

http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/US/fl...-jc-171120.gif

Loco Vette 05-14-2019 8:49am

Glad you're still with us!