The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Eclipse 2024 (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137214)

Don Rickles 04-04-2024 6:57pm

Eclipse 2024

I'll start

https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/fu...24/where-when/

Bruze 04-04-2024 7:26pm

I'll be seeing the total job here, 30-some miles south of Rochester NY.

April 8 is one of my sister's birthday. I told her at Easter dinner that I am SO TIRED of hearing about her BD. :Jeff '79: Turn the local news channels on here and that's all you see.

The stoopid weathermen having been trying to predict what the cloud cover will or will not be that day for the past 10 days now.

On August 21, 2017 (my BD) we had maybe a 3/4 eclipse here. It was pretty cool, but not as cool as getting my first piece of ass.

Now my other sis is upset because there won't be any eclipses on her BD, March 15, for a hundred years or something. :(

Life is tough. :eek:

Yadkin 04-04-2024 7:28pm

We saw the last one just outside of Charleston SC, about 5? years ago. Baby Doll has been planning a trip to a total zone for this one since. We were going to go to Stowe, VT for a ski/ total trip, but then figured that we had a far better chance of clear skies down south. So she booked us an AirB&B 364 days ago somewhere in ....

What is the trigonometric inverse of Kansas?

Torqaholic 04-04-2024 7:31pm

We had a nice one a few decades ago. Wouldn't travel to see another. If you've seen one you've seen them all.

Bruze 04-04-2024 7:33pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 2242294)
We saw the last one just outside of Charleston SC, about 5? years ago. Baby Doll has been planning a trip to a total zone for this one since. We were going to go to Stowe, VT for a ski/ total trip, but then figured that we had a far better chance of clear skies down south. So she booked us an AirB&B 364 days ago somewhere in ....

What is the trigonometric inverse of Kansas?

Attachment 99599

Mike Mercury 04-04-2024 7:42pm

we are in the zone, Dayton Ohio.

The entire area has been put on alert; spectators are driving/flying here to see it.

LATB 04-04-2024 7:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 2242305)

The entire area has been put jn alert; spectators are driving/flying here to see it.

You should sell t-shirts.

Bruze 04-04-2024 7:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 2242305)

The entire area has been put jn alert; spectators are driving/flying here to see it.

We're at 100% eclipse -- are you there also?

Same here, it's crazy. Hotels are booked up, my local bank is closing at 1 PM, the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra has some shindig about it, it's endless.

KenHorse 04-04-2024 8:17pm

We had one here in Orygun in 2017. It was my 2nd (when I lived on Maui, we had one there in 1994 I think it was). We were up on Haleakala for it

KenHorse 04-04-2024 8:21pm

slewfoot 04-04-2024 8:28pm

https://i.imgur.com/J2zaY83.png

If any of you are in or near the 100% zone, if you're near any trees with leaves, check out the shadows, they are just as impressive, maybe more so. I took this pic last fall as the moon was pulling away.

Bill 04-04-2024 8:42pm

Torqaholic 04-04-2024 8:52pm

Just recalled a day living in Illinois as a kid when it got very dark one afternoon. Was outside riding my bike. Nobody warned me it was coming. Nobody told me why it happened. Didn't bother me much, nature was/is beyond my control. I'm just along for the ride.

Looked it up online. Turns out that was July 20'th 1963 and was a 75% solar eclipse :yesnod:

Solar_eclipse_of_July_20,_1963

TripleBlack 04-04-2024 9:22pm

1 Attachment(s)
My house is in the path of totality so no travel this time. Unfortunately the weather forecast isn't very good. Clouds rolling in about the same time as the eclipse. Fingers crossed.

In 2017 I traveled to Kansas City to see the total eclipse and on the day of the eclipse we woke to heavy downpours. Very disappointing! We went to the breakfast buffet where we were staying and decided to at least stay around and watch the sky go dark instead of trying to beat the traffic, which turned out to be awful. About 30 minutes from totality we went outside and the rain had stopped and the sun was out. There were still some clouds but it was clear enough to see the totality and it was amazing!

We found a spot to watch and I scrambled to set up my photography gear. Unfortunately, there was little time to test and my focus was a little soft. I still got some acceptable results if you don't look too closely but hope I get a chance to do better this time.

See it if you can. It rates very high on my list of things Ive seen.

Attachment 99603

Mike Mercury 04-04-2024 9:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruze (Post 2242309)

yes.

The real bottleneck is just after the eclipse. Spectators arrive over a 3-4 day period; but they all leave immediately after... together.

Bruze 04-04-2024 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 2242367)
yes.

The real bottleneck is just after the eclipse. Spectators arrive over a 3-4 day period; but they all leave immediately after... together.

Hah, yes I suppose. :Jeff '79:

I'll be home in the woods, so nothing will change around here except the sunlight.

Bruze 04-04-2024 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleBlack (Post 2242366)
My house is in the path of totality so no travel this time. Unfortunately the weather forecast isn't very good. Clouds rolling in about the same time as the eclipse. Fingers crossed.

In 2017 I traveled to Kansas City to see the total eclipse and on the day of the eclipse we woke to heavy downpours. Very disappointing! We went to the breakfast buffet where we were staying and decided to at least stay around and watch the sky go dark instead of trying to beat the traffic, which turned out to be awful. About 30 minutes from totality we went outside and the rain had stopped and the sun was out. There were still some clouds but it was clear enough to see the totality and it was amazing!

We found a spot to watch and I scrambled to set up my photography gear. Unfortunately, there was little time to test and my focus was a little soft. I still got some acceptable results if you don't look too closely but hope I get a chance to do better this time.

See it if you can. It rates very high on my list of things Ive seen.

Attachment 99603

A maybe dumb question that came up over Easter dinner: Do you need a shield over your camera lens, like we do for our eyes, to protect the camera from getting burned?

TripleBlack 04-04-2024 10:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruze (Post 2242380)
A maybe dumb question that came up over Easter dinner: Do you need a shield over your camera lens, like we do for our eyes, to protect the camera from getting burned?

100% yes, except during the totality part of the eclipse. You can remove your glasses and the filter when the totality starts. Glasses and filter on during the run up to totality and after totality finishes.

If you are shooting with a cell phone you may be able to cannibalize solar glasses to make a filter for you phone to take shots outside of totality. If you are using a DSLR with a lens you must use a filter or fry you sensor.

edit: You do not need a filter or glasses during totality. Pro tip: Take a few pics, then put the camera down and watch the show. You can steal great photos to put on your Instagram.

Same with binoculars or telescope. Only more important. You must use a filter except during totality, and the filter must be in front of the binocular lens. Screw this up and your retinas may get fried.

6spdC6 04-05-2024 8:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruze (Post 2242309)

Same here, it's crazy. Hotels are booked up, my local bank is closing at 1 PM, the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra has some shindig about it, it's endless.

Governess Hokum and the local politicians & media are going organismic about this. The way they are talking about problems makes it sound like the worlds biggest tsunami is coming not a little light show.

I live just below the prime spot. My preparations is to grab my welders helmet and walking out onto the driveway and looking up till I get bored!-:rofl:

Onebadcad 04-05-2024 9:34am

I know three people flying out to Texas for event, one going private, all paying for rental cars and hotels--I have MANY better things to spend my stacks on.

I will remain here, if I wanted a blackout I would ignore my FPL bill for a few months.