The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Filipino food (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119524)

69camfrk 06-08-2019 4:40pm

Filipino food

My wife's best friend and daughter flew in from Alaska to visit for my wife's 50th birthday. I am ecstatic that they are here, because I'm pretty sure I haven't had a good meal at home since they moved. My kitchen is loaded up right now with Filipino food! Yum yum!!!!:seasix: Johnny, if you're out there, Loriei is an amazing cook! We have a bunch of pancit, and I'm sure I will be getting lumpia this week! Life is good!

JRD77VET 06-08-2019 7:00pm

2 Attachment(s)
Food pics from 69camfrk :drool:

Pancit in the plastic bowl, a curry dish is the one with the ladle

69camfrk 06-08-2019 7:12pm

The stuff with the ladle is a curry dish that I can't pronounce.. Tearing some up as we speak.

JRD77VET 06-08-2019 7:34pm

1 Attachment(s)
:drool:

boracayjohnny 06-08-2019 7:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1673019)
My wife's best friend and daughter flew in from Alaska to visit for my wife's 50th birthday. I am ecstatic that they are here, because I'm pretty sure I haven't had a good meal at home since they moved. My kitchen is loaded up right now with Filipino food! Yum yum!!!!:seasix: Johnny, if you're out there, Loriei is an amazing cook! We have a bunch of pancit, and I'm sure I will be getting lumpia this week! Life is good!

:seasix:

I remember you talking about Lorei. Pancit and Lumpia, ya can't go wrong with those two for sure. I always make sure to get my fill when they're around. I came home a month or two ago and the wife had made Lumpia. I downed five or six before she could say, "They're ready". :D Also, Lumpia is great with that thick red sauce that I can't think of the name. It's like a sweet kind of sauce in a glass bottle available at plenty of Asian stores.

Norm 06-08-2019 8:05pm

You guys are making me hungry. Enjoyed the local food, can't get any of that where I'm at. I didn't remember the names of the dishes, but I spent an abnormal amount of time in the basement food court under the Shoe Mart in Makati. Kind of like our go to place to pig out, and cheap!

tjfontaine 06-08-2019 9:19pm

It is really hard to beat good Filipino food. I was in the PI twice on USN westpac tours so ate a lot of it. Yummy. In San Diego near where we lived, 2 guys opened a Filipino buffet restaurant. We ate there frequently closed after 2 years they were too generous with their food.

69camfrk 06-08-2019 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracayjohnny (Post 1673028)
:seasix:

I remember you talking about Lorei. Pancit and Lumpia, ya can't go wrong with those two for sure. I always make sure to get my fill when they're around. I came home a month or two ago and the wife had made Lumpia. I downed five or six before she could say, "They're ready". :D Also, Lumpia is great with that thick red sauce that I can't think of the name. It's like a sweet kind of sauce in a glass bottle available at plenty of Asian stores.

I bought oil for the deep fryer today for the lumpia. I know what the red sauce is, but can't think of the name either, but yeah...awesome! I like Asian food anyway, but Filipino is my favorite. Thai is probably a close second. I'll post some pics when the lumpia gets going. I know you get it at home, and Lorilei taught my wife how to make it, but since they moved to Alaska, my wife doesn't make it very often. They are staying all week, so I will take full advantage of the good cooking!!!!:seasix:

09CTSV 06-09-2019 6:57am

Have you ever had Showpie is I think how it is called. It is a pork or beef in a pastry wrap. I had one of the guys who worked for me in the Navy make them and sell them in the shop. Damn they were good. I miss in VA Beach we had a few Filipino stores which sold pre made lumpia and other Filipino foods. Don't have anything like that in this area of the country.

69camfrk 06-09-2019 9:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09CTSV (Post 1673057)
Have you ever had Showpie is I think how it is called. It is a pork or beef in a pastry wrap. I had one of the guys who worked for me in the Navy make them and sell them in the shop. Damn they were good. I miss in VA Beach we had a few Filipino stores which sold pre made lumpia and other Filipino foods. Don't have anything like that in this area of the country.

Nope, but I'm gonna ask!

Rob 06-09-2019 9:02am

:seasix: love it when I get some good Filipino food. Ask her to make some dinuguan and turon :yesnod:

I love me some pancit though :dixie:

09CTSV 06-09-2019 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1673067)
Nope, but I'm gonna ask!

Actually looked it up on the web, it is spelled Siopao. They are steamed buns with either a chicken or pork filling. I looked at some recipes and also at www.filstop.com, a Filipino online shopping

04 commemorative 06-09-2019 10:53am

So......do you share and when and where :drool:

NEED-A-VETTE 06-09-2019 11:30am

I have a lot of Filipino coworkers. Filipino food has become one of my favorite foods. :yesnod: We have a lot of pot lucks and I’m constantly asking for recipes. :funny:

My favorite is probably Adobong Manok sa Gata (Chicken Adobo in Coconut Milk). :drool:

Uncle Meat 06-10-2019 7:47am

That food all looks masarap!

I've been Jonesin' for some Dinuguan myself.

U.M.

Rob 06-10-2019 7:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat (Post 1673126)
That food all looks masarap!

I've been Jonesin' for some Dinuguan myself.

U.M.

That and adobo pusit are my favorite.

I remember the first time my wife and I had a "date". Own own Island14 put on a tie over his tshirt and draped a towel over his arm to serve dinner to my wife and myself on his front porch. He had the Yaya cook up some Chicken Afritada.

Man, that was lami2x :yesnod:

JetMechZ16 06-10-2019 9:39am

When I was stationed on the West coast I had a lot of friends with filipino wives. I loved going to their houses for dinner. I haven't had any for years now.

R.I.B.S. 06-12-2019 4:41pm

Don't forget the balut......

69camfrk 06-12-2019 5:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.I.B.S. (Post 1673371)
Don't forget the balut......

Ummmmm.....no thanks. Gotta pass on that.:yesnod:

Dan Dlabay 06-12-2019 6:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09CTSV (Post 1673078)
Actually looked it up on the web, it is spelled Siopao. They are steamed buns with either a chicken or pork filling. I looked at some recipes and also at www.filstop.com, a Filipino online shopping

https://youtu.be/8WyfouzvqSM

That is also a Vietnamese dish and my wife makes real good steam buns. I love Vietnamese cooking. Where my wife works there are Vietnamese Korean, Japanese, Filipino, Mexican, Chinese, women that work there and they all exchange recipes. We have also been invited their house for home cooked meals.:cert: