The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Anyone have experience removing a clear bra (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120167)

Black94lt1 09-01-2019 7:34pm

Anyone have experience removing a clear bra

1 Attachment(s)
So I got the car all cleaned up (waxed and detailed), getting ready to go on vacation in a couple of weeks. And while it looks good, the clear bra is really showing it’s age. It was on the car when I bought it and records indicate it was installed shortly after original purchase. At this point, the car is 10 years old and 60K miles do replacing it doesn’t make sense, time to just remove it.

Anyone removed a clear bra :D on a car and have any tips. Oh and I do love the look of a clean black car!

Norm 09-01-2019 8:21pm

Removed one off a C6 a few years ago, was half way up the hood and fenders as well. I'm experienced with using a heat gun, made pretty easy work of it.

However, if you are NOT experienced with a heat gun, don't even think about it.
You can use a good large hair dryer, start in a corner and start peeling. You may want it to sit out in the sun a bit first.

Don't expect it to rip right off like pulling cellophane off a left over dish, this is slow, tedious work, be patient, take your time, it will come off.

I can tell you though, if that was put over any re-painted surface other than factory, you could have some paint peeling issues. Work slow. Good luck.

Black94lt1 09-01-2019 8:46pm

Thanks, this front bumper only, along with mirrors, door pockets and door edges. I might start with the smaller areas to get the hang of it

Mike Mercury 09-01-2019 8:48pm

Quote:

Anyone have experience removing a bra

Norm 09-01-2019 8:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black94lt1 (Post 1682494)
Thanks, this front bumper only, along with mirrors, door pockets and door edges. I might start with the smaller areas to get the hang of it

Good idea, start with the little stuff.

04 commemorative 09-02-2019 8:55am

Watch it's nipples :willy:

Uncle Meat 09-03-2019 6:24am

I just pulled up a corner using my fingernail until I could grip the film with two fingers and then pulled it off. All mine came off this way.

U.M.

Black94lt1 09-03-2019 8:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat (Post 1682585)
I just pulled up a corner using my fingernail until I could grip the film with two fingers and then pulled it off. All mine came off this way.

U.M.

Any issues with residue, etc. I’ve seen some stuff online about using a steamer then ending up with an adhesive mess.

Uncle Meat 09-03-2019 1:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black94lt1 (Post 1682590)
Any issues with residue, etc. I’ve seen some stuff online about using a steamer then ending up with an adhesive mess.

No adhesive residue left behind. There was a little wax buildup at the edges, but it came right off with some mild compound. Keep in mind this was VentureShield. Might be a different story with a different type/brand of covering.

U.M.

Black94lt1 09-03-2019 7:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat (Post 1682619)
No adhesive residue left behind. There was a little wax buildup at the edges, but it came right off with some mild compound. Keep in mind this was VentureShield. Might be a different story with a different type/brand of covering.

U.M.

Mine’s 3M, looks like I know what my winter project will be :seasix:

Black94lt1 10-06-2019 5:19pm

Ok this officially sucks, I did the door edges, door handle pockets, and the mirrors yesterday and it took nearly two hours. Tried heating it with a hair dryer first and had a lot of residue left behind, switched to pulling it off with no heat and it went better but when there was residue it was in big patches. Used lighter fluid and WD40 to remove the residue but that was really slow. I think I’ll pick up some 3M adhesive remover for the bumper and see if that works better

04 commemorative 10-07-2019 5:21pm

Bought wife one....but she never wore it :D

Jobaka 10-07-2019 6:25pm

This is what it should look like once it's been removed:

https://www.dhresource.com/0x0/f2/al...AAJatKo077.jpg

Grey Ghost 10-10-2019 8:13pm

Yes. It's a horrible job. Black BMW front end, mirrors, etc...I learned that you were supposed to wax the junk like paint to prevent it...don't know how true that is. This stuff cracked like a spider web. I got a heat gun from HF that helped a little. Tried brake fluid, etc...my best tool was an old credit card that I could use for a scraper. Still haven't finished the job. Got the majority. Can't get up the motivation to spend countless hrs. to finish it.