The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Boat Buyers: Scammer alert! (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31967)

GS Ragtop 03-26-2012 12:40pm

Boat Buyers: Scammer alert!

I'm in the market for a 26-30 foot Center Console and have been watching Craigslist for potential sales. The 'perfect' boat came up in the Detroit area, so I started communicating with the seller. The price was attractive, borderline 'too' attractive. The seller's husband had died and she relocated from Florida (where the boat's located) to Michigan.

This morning I did a bit more investigating on the seller's name and found 'she' has an identical ad for a different model boat in Bremerton, WA. Same seller, same "I moved to Michigan", same "please use Bing.com sales process."

Anyway, if you're in the market for a boat and see a seller named Laura Steinn from Houghton Lake, MI, report it as a scam.

Here's a link to a guy that saw the scam in WA: Scam busters!: Laura Steinn lscabins

Damn scammers. I wish I could think of a way to make this one feel pain. :nutkick:

UPDATE: Did a bit more investigating and found the same bitch had that boat for sale in 19 different cities all around the country. Slightly different story, same exact pictures, different contact info. I tracked 'em all down and reported the bastard to CL Fraud -- within 24 hours all the ads were pulled. :cheers:

Joecooool 03-26-2012 12:43pm

Never buy anything off Craigslist that you don't pick up in person.

GRN ENVY 03-26-2012 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joecooool (Post 621656)

:iagree:

Fastguy 03-26-2012 12:53pm

Quote:

Including apartments. The condo next to my sister is for rent. Some dude showed up the other day asking when he could move in, since he paid first and last. He paid it to a businessman who was going to be in Africa for a prolonged period. Yup, this dumbass sent first and last to an address in Africa.

GS Ragtop 03-26-2012 1:04pm

Quote:

Yup, I agree.

The email exchange was going along pretty normal until 'she' said that my brother in Florida couldn't drive over to view the boat at the storage facility. I noticed the distinctive scam smell right away.

No in-person, no sale.

Jeff '79 03-26-2012 4:31pm

Whew....Thank God ! I was just about to buy a boat off Craig's List.:shots:

repo 03-26-2012 7:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastguy (Post 621669)
Including apartments. The condo next to my sister is for rent. Some dude showed up the other day asking when he could move in, since he paid first and last. He paid it to a businessman who was going to be in Africa for a prolonged period. Yup, this dumbass sent first and last to an address in Africa.

I wonder if someone showed it to him?

If not he is a real dummy.:issues:

Come to think of it, he is a real dummy anyway.:kick:

GS Ragtop 03-26-2012 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 621866)
Whew....Thank God ! I was just about to buy a boat off Craig's List.:shots:

Until I started looking this winter, that's what I thought (assuming you were a tad less than serious).

It appears that Craigslist has become another must-have point of contact for potential buyers. Searching the Great Lakes lakeshore communities *only*, I found several hundred boats between $30K and $100K. :eek:

Dealers, private sellers, brokers, and scammers are all using Craigslist to attract interest.

War Eagle ZO6 07-10-2012 8:12am

people suck.
:yesnod::yesnod:

So what did you get?
:waiting:

jaxgator 07-10-2012 8:59am

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

And this thread has 40,924 views and only 9 replies? :wtf:

War Eagle ZO6 07-10-2012 9:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxgator (Post 707331)
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

And this thread has 40,924 views and only 9 replies? :wtf:

:rofl::rofl:

I just found myself "Searchin' " the old posts to catch up.

Bill 07-10-2012 10:37am

Searchin'

Quote:

Originally Posted by War Eagle ZO6 (Post 707333)
:rofl::rofl:

I just found myself "Searchin' " the old posts to catch up.
Cheech & Chong Searchin' - YouTube

GS Ragtop 10-04-2012 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by War Eagle ZO6 (Post 707298)
So what did you get?
:waiting:

Holy 2nd resurrection! :seasix:

Bought a 35' Intrepid with twin Suzuki 250's. Been fishing all summer. :hurray::cert:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...rageMarina.jpg

VetteBoy1979 10-05-2012 4:09am

Wow! Nice boat!

Bucwheat 10-05-2012 8:39am

You here too many bad things happening on Craigs list.

Joecooool 10-05-2012 9:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS Ragtop (Post 778862)
Holy 2nd resurrection! :seasix:

Bought a 35' Intrepid with twin Suzuki 250's. Been fishing all summer. :hurray::cert:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...rageMarina.jpg

Those are nice boats. I have two friends with Intrepids, one has a 375 CC and the other has a 400 Cuddy.

CP 10-05-2012 9:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastguy (Post 621669)

Nigeria???