The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   California, take note. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124185)

69camfrk 11-26-2020 9:14am

California, take note.

Va might have a nutty governor, but this is how you manage land. Too bad the dummies out there can't figure it out.

https://www.southwesttimes.com/2020/...trolled-burns/

dvarapala 11-26-2020 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1826955)
Va might have a nutty governor, but this is how you manage land. Too bad the dummies out there can't figure it out.

Last I heard the US Forest Service was a Federal agency. Thus the "dummies" are the same people you're trying to praise.

NEED-A-VETTE 11-26-2020 10:29am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1826974)
Last I heard the US Forest Service was a Federal agency. Thus the "dummies" are the same people you're trying to praise.

Attachment 49494

69camfrk 11-26-2020 10:32am

Quote:

So why don't they do it there?

mrvette 11-26-2020 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1826980)

Commie influence......
:issues:

69camfrk 11-26-2020 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1826987)
Commie influence......
:issues:

I was just waiting for them to admit it.:yesnod:

Raazor 11-26-2020 1:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1826955)

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...ooterjump1.gif

Quote:

:yesnod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1826979)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::seasix:

NEED-A-VETTE 11-26-2020 1:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1826991)
I was just waiting for them to admit it.:yesnod:

Admit what?

That the US Forest Service’s “10 AM policy” (and those that came after) kicked off almost 100 years of mismanagement? Or that Nixon signed NEPA into law which now has been misused by environmentalists?

The entire west is now turning the corner and trying to manage forests the proper way (thinning, controlled burns, etc.) but it takes time to undue a century’s worth of damage.

Educate yourself about the policies that brought us here and you’ll understand that this all started way before California turned blue. You have to go back 100 years to get to the start of the problem. And not just in California.

But I get it...that’s doesn’t fit into the blame California narrative. :funny:

69camfrk 11-26-2020 1:18pm

Quote:

You actually might want to do some research...

dvarapala 11-26-2020 1:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1827051)

A Skanky Psychologist once told me that it's not really about blame - it's about Sour Grapes. Deep down all these apparent "haters" really wish they could live in beautiful, sunny CA, but they're doing ths Reaction Formation thing. :yesnod:

Raazor 11-26-2020 1:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1827061)
A Skanky Psychologist once told me that it's not really about blame - it's about Sour Grapes. Deep down all these apparent "haters" really wish they could live in beautiful, sunny CA, but they're doing ths Reaction Formation thing. :yesnod:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

let's not get carried away!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

NEED-A-VETTE 11-26-2020 1:35pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Attachment 49507

Nox 11-26-2020 2:20pm

1 Attachment(s)
I’ve spent a lot of time in the forests of the East Coast and California. The difference is, the East Coast gets more precipitation. A controlled burn in California is like throwing a match into a warehouse full of gunpowder to reduce the overflow.

A couple of years ago, on a dry and windy night, I was on the way home when I heard a small patch of brush was on fire about 30 miles from my house. When I woke up in the morning, my neighborhood was in flames. The fire which started 30 miles away, traveled to my house overnight. That’s why they don’t do a lot of controlled burns here. They’ve tried, but it never works out the way they intended.

Steve_R 11-26-2020 2:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1827051)
Admit what?

That the US Forest Service’s “10 AM policy” (and those that came after) kicked off almost 100 years of mismanagement? Or that Nixon signed NEPA into law which now has been misused by environmentalists?

The entire west is now turning the corner and trying to manage forests the proper way (thinning, controlled burns, etc.) but it takes time to undue a century’s worth of damage.

Educate yourself about the policies that brought us here and you’ll understand that this all started way before California turned blue. You have to go back 100 years to get to the start of the problem. And not just in California.

This. Same problem in Colorado.

Steve_R 11-26-2020 2:26pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Nox 11-26-2020 2:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1826980)

Huge difference between culling back old growth and what burns in California. What causes California to burn is the extreme dry tinder coupled with winds. These plants that burn down neighborhoods were just seedlings a few months before. They grow into chaparral in a short rainy season, they dry out and burn a few months later. You can’t control burn what doesn’t exist. California is on an annual cycle not measured in centuries of old growth.

Broken Wind 11-26-2020 3:15pm

I never understood why CA burned until I lived there. The vegetation is what we call kindling here.

NEED-A-VETTE 11-26-2020 3:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nox (Post 1827083)
I’ve spent a lot of time in the forests of the East Coast and California. The difference is, the East Coast gets more precipitation. A controlled burn in California is like throwing a match into a warehouse full of gunpowder to reduce the overflow.

A couple of years ago, on a dry and windy night, I was on the way home when I heard a small patch of brush was on fire about 30 miles from my house. When I woke up in the morning, my neighborhood was in flames. The fire which started 30 miles away, traveled to my house overnight. That’s why they don’t do a lot of controlled burns here. They’ve tried, but it never works out the way they intended.

Yep. It was October 2019 when we were all evacuated for Saddleridge. And that same area behind the neighborhood had already burned completely in the Sesnon fire in 2008. People don’t realize that the chaparral comes back every year, regardless of management. :shrug:

Jeff '79 11-26-2020 3:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1827103)
Yep. It was October 2019 when we were all evacuated for Saddleridge. And that same area behind the neighborhood had already burned completely in the Sesnon fire in 2008. People don’t realize that the chaparral comes back every year, regardless of management. :shrug:

We do realize that.
Some people with disabilities do not unfortunately.
The real question is, do you really want to take the chance of losing everything?
People settle in and just forget, until it's their turn, and play the odds.
It costs money to move , uproot, and find jobs, and lose seniority.
I get it. Cali is beautiful and the weather does not suck.
The earth moves and burns sometimes though, so playing the odds is just
that.

Anjdog2003 11-26-2020 3:33pm

Beach sand doesn't burn. :Entropy:

When you coming down for a visit toots?