The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Rainbow Bridge thread (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119146)

Aerovette 04-13-2019 11:46am

Rainbow Bridge thread

2 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure if this will catch on, but many of us have lost pets and those threads get pushed away over time. I thought I'd give a shot at starting a place where we can all post a tribute to our lost pets. I lost Cabo in July 2017 and Ladybug on 3/14/19.

NEED-A-VETTE 04-13-2019 12:15pm

6 Attachment(s)
Lost Fatso in September 2017. She was 19 years old.

Attachment 24962

Attachment 24963

Attachment 24964

Lost Bailey in April 2018. She was 12 years old.

Attachment 24965

Attachment 24966

Attachment 24967

Fatso was older and had been in the first stages of kidney disease for awhile. I came home from work one day and she was very “off”. She tried to get up to greet me like she always does and just could not stand up. We took her to the vet and did some sub-Q fluids and other things but she wasn’t recovering at all the following 24 hours. We knew it was time.

With Bailey, she was perfectly healthy. One day we noticed she had not touched her food for her morning or evening meals. Took her to the vet to have her checked out because it was very unusual for her. She was running a temp and was dehydrated. They gave an antibiotic shot and sub-Q fluids. Took some blood for tests. Took her home. By the next morning, she was clearly in distress. Rushed her to the vet. She spent two day in the oxygen, then the inserted a feeding tube, took X-rays and blood tests...they were absolutely stumped. Everything came back as normal. Our vet even consulted with a neuro-vet that she went to school with. She started having some seizures, so they were leaning towards it being something neurological. But they could not figure it out for sure. She took a bad downturn and we knew it was time. The devastating part about Bailey is we just never knew what happened.

We do have their ashes and paw prints. 🐾 🐾 🐾 💕💕💕

Ol Timer 04-13-2019 12:20pm

No pics handy, but

Cats:

KC
Max
Snowball
Cricket
Poof
Tiger

Dogs:

Cinnamon
Muffin
Abbey
Honey
Grover
Maggie
Dillon
Ramona

Every one is missed, but we keep coming back for more. I can’t imagine life without a dog (or 2).

lspencer534 04-13-2019 1:16pm

2 Attachment(s)
I've lost so many cats over the past 40 years that it's hard to count them all. Some of them were not necessarily beautiful or even pretty, but I loved each one of them. Whenever I take a cat in, I always tell them the same thing: "Welcome to the cushy life. You'll never go hungry again, you'll be kept healthy and without disease, and you'll be loved."

I haven't lost anyone in the last 2 years, but I'll always remember Tank and Fearless Fred:

Attachment 24968

Attachment 24969

Tank was less than two-years-old when he got into a fight with dogs, Fearless Fred was just a couple of weeks from being 20-years old.

Other cats over the years who aren't with us any longer:

Ben
Annie
High-Rise
Miss Callie
Lucifer
Bandit
Isabel
Katherine
Puff Daddy
Mr. Beefy
Baseball
Sooty

:sadangel::sadangel::sadangel:

Loco Vette 04-13-2019 1:40pm

1 Attachment(s)
Chester January '18

BADRACR1 04-13-2019 2:02pm

1 Attachment(s)
Sandy, our Golden Retriever. Jan 2, 2006/July 6, 2017.Attachment 24971

04 commemorative 04-13-2019 2:19pm

2 Attachment(s)
Sooner than later we will need to put Ty down.....will be our 3rd.....wife & I agreed to "take a break" before we get another so we can do some traveling as we don't have anyone to watch our pet....

Ol Timer 04-13-2019 4:40pm

1 Attachment(s)
Current lineup:

Levi and new guy, Zeke

Black94lt1 04-13-2019 8:18pm

1 Attachment(s)
Einstein September 2017, she was 16 and had health issues her whole life but that didn’t stop her from taking on the other cats who were bigger and younger, she was truly fearless

Defib1961 04-13-2019 8:27pm

Rainbow Bridge thread

2 Attachment(s)
Aspen

Attachment 24978

JetMechZ16 04-15-2019 10:57am

Thanks a lot Aerovette! This thread and others like it always bring tears to my eyes. It doesn't look good when people see the mean old grumpy guy sitting at his desk with "Pollen" in his eyes.

LilRedCorvette 04-16-2019 12:27am

1 Attachment(s)
It is good to have a place to share this kind of loss with others who have also gone through it and understand exactly what it feels like. :yesnod: Most of my friends/people around me aren't really 'dog' people per se, so outside of here and my monthly pet loss support group, I'm kind of flying solo on this grief airplane. :sadangel:

I lost my beloved 12 yr old Boxer Cosmo on 11/3/18, thread posted here: https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/...d.php?t=117759

Other Boxers I have lost before the era of digital photos:
Bo
Bobo
Casey
Oliver
Rindy

Doggies I have dogsat that I became very close with:
Pogo (Dorgi - Dachshund/Corgi mix)
Anya (Schutzhund-trained German Shepherd)

The person who runs the pet loss support group has well over 40 years experience as a therapist, including her work with hospice...and still says that the pet loss therapy work is the most difficult of all.

My heart is still irretrievably broken. :( But I am comforted a bit by the thought that each day that passes is another day closer to reuniting at the Rainbow Bridge. :angel:

C3C7NIC 04-16-2019 10:12am

4 Attachment(s)
Always by my side.

Attachment 25023

Attachment 25024

His favorite pillow was Mom's lap.

Attachment 25025

Still so handsome even after his amputation.

Attachment 25026

Sarge was the most laid back sweetest boy ever. Being a 100lb+ dog, he initially intimidated many people, but they soon learned he was an absolute gentle giant. BIG DOGS RULE!

During his 3 year battle with ostosarcoma, he was so tolerant of all the chemo and treatments. The vet said most of their chemo patients dreaded their visits, Sarge always happily hopped in to greet the girls at the reception desk.

I miss him every day!

Aerovette 04-16-2019 10:42am

Dogs are a part of our lives, but we are their entire life.

EDIT: This applies to cats, or any other pet too. :yesnod:

JetMechZ16 04-16-2019 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1667002)

Even a Galápagos island tortoise? :barnbabe:

LilRedCorvette 04-16-2019 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1667002)

We have people in our local pet loss support group who have lost dogs, cats, rabbits, etc. :yesnod:

LilRedCorvette 04-16-2019 12:26pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by C3C7NIC (Post 1666996)
His favorite pillow was Mom's lap.

Attachment 25025

This photo reminds me of the ONE time a week I'd leave Cosmo home and have a dinner outing with friends (esp the last year of his life he needed pretty much 24hr/day care)...note the look of desperation:

"Where is she?? Get her back here!"

Seeing that pic made me want to come home (even though I was exhausted and really needed a break).

:sadangel:

bsmith 04-16-2019 1:32pm

2 Attachment(s)
Jamie in the snow, got her as a puppy.

Missy was a surrender situation.
She had a bad start to life, bouncing from shelter to shelter and home to home for a while before we got her.
Sweetest dog I have ever seen,
In a couple weeks it will be two years since we lost her, and I still get a lump in my throat thinking about her.
And now I see that Missy is still my avatar. :lol:

C3C7NIC 04-16-2019 2:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette (Post 1667018)
This photo reminds me of the ONE time a week I'd leave Cosmo home and have a dinner outing with friends (esp the last year of his life he needed pretty much 24hr/day care)...note the look of desperation:

"Where is she?? Get her back here!"

Seeing that pic made me want to come home (even though I was exhausted and really needed a break).

Boxers can stare into your soul!

Our mix hates eye contact, Boxers think it is a form of mind control, and it works! :funniest:

JRD77VET 04-16-2019 7:19pm

When I was married to my "darling ex", we rescued a kitten from the senile lady next to her apartment. After "DE" left, Smoky was my buddy and was a great help for keeping my sanity. I'll have to see if I have any pictures of Smoky as he was in the film only era. I had him cremated and he resides in a box now.

After mary and I moved to this house, she found Mochi, our previous Swissy. Mochi was headstrong but a great dog.

We lost him 2012
https://oimg.photobucket.com/albums/...DCP_3909-1.jpg

Then in June of 2013, we got Levi, literally weeks after I had shoulder surgery

https://oimg.photobucket.com/albums/...i/DSC00208.jpg

Lost Levi April 12th 2019 at 6 years and two weeks

https://oimg.photobucket.com/albums/...i/DCP_6415.jpg

LilRedCorvette 04-17-2019 12:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1667052)
When I was married to my "darling ex", we rescued a kitten from the senile lady next to her apartment. After "DE" left, Smoky was my buddy and was a great help for keeping my sanity. I'll have to see if I have any pictures of Smoky as he was in the film only era. I had him cremated and he resides in a box now.

After mary and I moved to this house, she found Mochi, our previous Swissy. Mochi was headstrong but a great dog.

We lost him 2012
https://oimg.photobucket.com/albums/...DCP_3909-1.jpg

Then in June of 2013, we got Levi, literally weeks after I had shoulder surgery

https://oimg.photobucket.com/albums/...i/DSC00208.jpg

Lost Levi April 12th 2019 at 6 years and two weeks

https://oimg.photobucket.com/albums/...i/DCP_6415.jpg

I remember Mochi well from all your posts and thought that he was the kind of dog I'd like to just sit/hang out with at the edge of the boat, put my arm around him, and just talk about various aspects of life with him. :Jeff '79: :cool:

And I'd have NO issues with Levi sitting on my lap on the sofa and making my legs absolutely numb. :Jeff '79: :seasix:

Yes, big dogs rule. :yesnod:

JRD77VET 04-17-2019 7:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette (Post 1667074)
I remember Mochi well from all your posts and thought that he was the kind of dog I'd like to just sit/hang out with at the edge of the boat, put my arm around him, and just talk about various aspects of life with him. :Jeff '79: :cool:

And I'd have NO issues with Levi sitting on my lap on the sofa and making my legs absolutely numb. :Jeff '79: :seasix:

Yes, big dogs rule. :yesnod:

https://oimg.photobucket.com/albums/...DCP_3905-1.jpg

https://oimg.photobucket.com/albums/...DCP_3953-1.jpg

The story behind this one.....
Mary and I were both fishing off the front of the 24' pontoon boat when I realized Mochi wasn't "right there" watching us. ( He was the official fish inspector :lol:)

I looked at the back of the boat and he was sitting on the back, just watching the waves / ripples while enjoying the breeze :cool1:

LilRedCorvette 04-17-2019 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1667166)
https://oimg.photobucket.com/albums/...DCP_3905-1.jpg

https://oimg.photobucket.com/albums/...DCP_3953-1.jpg

The story behind this one.....
Mary and I were both fishing off the front of the 24' pontoon boat when I realized Mochi wasn't "right there" watching us. ( He was the official fish inspector :lol:)

I looked at the back of the boat and he was sitting on the back, just watching the waves / ripples while enjoying the breeze :cool1:

I'd have loved to have sat next to him there, legs dangling off the edge and just hung out...such a cool, handsome dog. :yesnod:

Just got back from my pet loss support group meeting...still very difficult to talk about Cosmo without getting emotional but at least I'm amongst others going through the same thing, and have even made some new friends (we have been going to a diner to eat afterward and sharing more about our pets there).

Hang in there everyone. :angel: The photos and stories really do help.

LilRedCorvette 04-30-2019 6:59pm

As much as I really hope this thread isn't used much, think it should be made readily available to anyone who has had a loss come up...any way we can make it a sticky thread? Would hate for a good idea like this one to get lost in the shuffle.

NEED-A-VETTE 05-01-2019 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette (Post 1668393)
As much as I really hope this thread isn't used much, think it should be made readily available to anyone who has had a loss come up...any way we can make it a sticky thread? Would hate for a good idea like this one to get lost in the shuffle.

Done. :cheers:

MrPeabody 05-02-2019 12:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1668501)
Done. :cheers:

:seasix:

bsmith 05-02-2019 8:57am

1 Attachment(s)
Coolest dog I've ever known, excluding my own of course.
This is Clark, he belongs to my brother and sister in law, and I got the news last night that he has cancer and it won't be long.

Clark is the shit.
I remember the first day I met him.
It was a day or two after we put down my Jamie and I wasn't in the mood to see anyone yet. We got to their house, and Clark was glued to my side the whole night. He knew I needed him. :sadangel:

He was a pound dog, and everyone wanted Clark after meeting him.
A few people offered to buy him, and several threatened to dog-nap him. :lol:

Two years ago yesterday my Missy was injured and two years ago today she crossed. :(

04 commemorative 05-02-2019 9:26am

2 Attachment(s)
We lost Haley a few years ago ....now Ty is winding down....sad...

LilRedCorvette 05-03-2019 10:44am

Having a hard day today.

6 months ago today Cosmo passed. :sadangel: Still so very sad.

NEED-A-VETTE 05-05-2019 5:07pm

1 Attachment(s)
Just saw this on FB today. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Attachment 25808

LilRedCorvette 05-06-2019 11:06pm

^ :cry: :(

Just wanted to add this, as well as some prayers, to the thread...John McCain's service dog Burma has crossed the Rainbow Bridge:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mccain-fa...173208710.html

Here's hoping they are together again. :yesnod: :angel:

LilRedCorvette 05-17-2019 10:57am

Grumpy Cat has passed...only 7 years old :(

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...090130805.html

Thanks for making us laugh and smile :angel:

boracayjohnny 05-17-2019 9:02pm

A bittersweet thread.

Pets sure do become family.

marrepka 05-23-2019 10:47am

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 26712

Had to say goodbye to Oscar, my best friend and constant companion of 12 years today. RIP buddy you will never be forgotten.

LilRedCorvette 05-28-2019 12:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by marrepka (Post 1671161)
Attachment 26712

Had to say goodbye to Oscar, my best friend and constant companion of 12 years today. RIP buddy you will never be forgotten.

So very sorry for your loss. He is beautiful. :sadangel:

Been having a hard time lately...came across this today and just thought I'd share. Lots of good resources there. :yesnod:

https://www.lapoflove.com/community/Pet-Loss-Support

LilRedCorvette 06-04-2019 6:31pm

Cosmo's sister passed today.

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette (Post 1666975)
It is good to have a place to share this kind of loss with others who have also gone through it and understand exactly what it feels like. :yesnod: Most of my friends/people around me aren't really 'dog' people per se, so outside of here and my monthly pet loss support group, I'm kind of flying solo on this grief airplane. :sadangel:

I lost my beloved 12 yr old Boxer Cosmo on 11/3/18, thread posted here: https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/...d.php?t=117759

Other Boxers I have lost before the era of digital photos:
Bo
Bobo
Casey
Oliver
Rindy

Doggies I have dogsat that I became very close with:
Pogo (Dorgi - Dachshund/Corgi mix)
Anya (Schutzhund-trained German Shepherd)

The person who runs the pet loss support group has well over 40 years experience as a therapist, including her work with hospice...and still says that the pet loss therapy work is the most difficult of all.

My heart is still irretrievably broken. :( But I am comforted a bit by the thought that each day that passes is another day closer to reuniting at the Rainbow Bridge. :angel:

I am saddened to add to this thread again so soon...Clara (Cosmo's sister), had to be euthanized this AM. Very, very bad seizure this time around. :(

Clara and Cosmo, who I came to know since they were very young, belonged to a fellow automotive enthusiast friend of mine who went into the hospital for surgery but unexpectedly didn't make it out (ref thread above)...his family found us, and we adopted them and took care of them in his absence. :sadangel:

Mike, you have both your Boxer babies with you up in heaven now :yesnod:...but we're all heartbroken down here. :cry: We hope you'll share them both with us at the Rainbow Bridge when it's our time.

Clara Belle
8/16/08 - 6/4/19

Aerovette 06-05-2019 5:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1668941)
Just saw this on FB today. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Attachment 25808

I have looked at this at least 20 times and I have teared up at least 20 times. It's not worded in a way I would speak, but I'll be damned if it doesn't hit the mark in sentiment.

On a side note, I have a new 7 month old pup and I'm having a helluva a time with guilt and trouble bonding with her because of my two that I lost.

:sad:

LilRedCorvette 06-05-2019 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1672700)
I have looked at this at least 20 times and I have teared up at least 20 times. It's not worded in a way I would speak, but I'll be damned if it doesn't hit the mark in sentiment.

On a side note, I have a new 7 month old pup and I'm having a helluva a time with guilt and trouble bonding with her because of my two that I lost.

:sad:

:iagree: It got to me, too. :sadangel:

Let me preface this post with the sentiment that I am regurgitating/sharing info from the therapist leading our local pet loss support group, as we have a few people also with new pets while dealing with the loss of their previous pets. They are having the same feelings of guilt and trouble bonding that you are, and it's completely normal. :yesnod:

First off, there is no right or wrong way to grieve...as well as no right or wrong way as to when to open your home to a new pet. Some must get a new one right away, some feel they need to wait, and still others never make it to that step at all.

However, if you open your home to a new pet...you still must grieve the loss of the previous one. A new pet cannot, and will not, replace the grieving process; if the person doesn't do the difficult work of grieving (Kathy calls them 'Grief Dodgers'), then a lot of times it can bite you in the ass later and make your grief even worse...and also make bonding with a new pet that much harder.

As you know, a new pet can never 'replace' the old...it's a completely new, and different, relationship that will take time to develop. It's also normal to sometimes 'compare'...but it's important to try to distract from that and just get to know your new pet without any sort of timeline/deadline. Sometimes it takes weeks, months, or even years for this to develop naturally...and it's completely normal.

There is also no timeline on grief...allow yourself the freedom, time, and permission to grieve your loss. You might be fine while occupied by a task or at work, but something will spur a memory and turn you into a big pile of emotions/sadness. Let yourself feel it, talk to others about it. Distraction, then grieving, lather, rinse, repeat...is a normal and healthy way to process it all.

Sorry for the novel...never have been a 'support group/therapy' type of person until now, but the advice absorbed/received has been a godsend for me. Hope it is helpful for others also.

Skia 06-28-2019 7:36pm

1 Attachment(s)
Rosie, best dog we ever had. Lost her in 2018. She was almost 14.

https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/...1&d=1561768526

Stevedore 07-13-2019 5:27pm

2 Attachment(s)
I'll add our memory of Max, who we lost a little over a year ago. He was a Shetland Sheepdog, within weeks of his 14th birthday. For anyone familiar with the AKC obedience training & competition world, he was my wife's Novice-A dog, who she took to a UD title. We currently have Keira, Jake & Connor, ages 10 yr, 4 yr, & 6 months, & they're all great in their unique ways, but there'll never be another Max for us.

Max:

mrvette 08-24-2019 5:55pm

Sick chiwawa age 13 or so.....

Dawg been slowing down a good bit recently, walking/rear hips, hearing/deaf as a stone, and finally eyes and head swelling, and pissing everywhere inside, not shitting at all any more.....Wife's pet, she takes to Vet last monday, and he wasn't told about the bathroom habits......

I just hate her to suffer, much less my wife for the care she is trying.....and too boot, I am leaving town for a week on Thursday AM......lovely.....so just how in the HELL do I get my wife to give up on the damn dawg, and put it down??? SO the Vet gave out some pills/meds and far as I can tell doing no good.....hate to see the dawg suffer, but suspect no pain, due to wife picks it up without any yipping/barking/protest....

what say you all??? :sadangel::sadangel:

NEED-A-VETTE 08-24-2019 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1681647)
Dawg been slowing down a good bit recently, walking/rear hips, hearing/deaf as a stone, and finally eyes and head swelling, and pissing everywhere inside, not shitting at all any more.....Wife's pet, she takes to Vet last monday, and he wasn't told about the bathroom habits......

I just hate her to suffer, much less my wife for the care she is trying.....and too boot, I am leaving town for a week on Thursday AM......lovely.....so just how in the HELL do I get my wife to give up on the damn dawg, and put it down??? SO the Vet gave out some pills/meds and far as I can tell doing no good.....hate to see the dawg suffer, but suspect no pain, due to wife picks it up without any yipping/barking/protest....

what say you all??? :sadangel::sadangel:

Maybe you can go to the vet together and talk about options with the vet? It may be easier to get the full picture if you’re both there. :sadangel:

mrvette 08-25-2019 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1681656)
Maybe you can go to the vet together and talk about options with the vet? It may be easier to get the full picture if you’re both there. :sadangel:

Wife declined on me going along....:leaving: I just feel damn sorry for the chickAdee, having to cope with all the family crap.....

But I wuz warned by her oldes son's wife, at the engagement party, she call me aside and stated that I was marrying the only responsible person in the entire family.....how right she was.....well there are 2-3 other exceptions, BUT outta a dozen others.....well.....:slap:

:issues:

pgawit 09-12-2019 8:31am

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/z7...A=s250-k-rw-no

Cody
2007 - 2019
A true friend

snide 09-12-2019 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgawit (Post 1683299)

Sorry for your loss. :sadangel:

Black94lt1 09-12-2019 7:49pm

1 Attachment(s)
Today we lost Ariel, she had a great 18 years though 2001-2019 :sadangel:

LilRedCorvette 09-13-2019 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgawit (Post 1683299)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black94lt1 (Post 1683350)
Today we lost Ariel, she had a great 18 years though 2001-2019 :sadangel:

So very sorry for your losses. :sadangel: :sadangel:

LilRedCorvette 09-17-2019 7:13pm

1 Attachment(s)
Tough day today. Today is Cosmo's birthday, the first since his passing. He would have been 13 today.

I love you, miss you everyday, and think about you all the time. :sadangel:

BADRACR1 10-11-2019 11:03pm

3 Attachment(s)
Sad news about one of ours today. We have a black Terrier mix named Lil Bit. She is about eleven. We got her as a rescue pup when she was about grown so not sure exactly of her age within a year or so.
Last couple of weeks she began to swell in her belly area. I mean a lot. Last few days she seemed a little bigger each day. I took off work early today and took her to the vet. Tests show her kidneys and liver are functioning well but she is suffering from congestive heart failure. Her valves are weak and allowing fluid to build up.
They drained out a little over a half gallon of fluid. She is still eating and drinking normal and seems to be getting around okay. Doc says she isn't in any pain but the swelling makes her harder to breath and uncomfortable.
We got meds to reduce fluid build up and help her heart work better but it is just a matter of time before she has heart failure. Doc says weeks, maybe a few months. She is a sweet little dog. I plan to do what I can to ensure she has a good quality of life while she can but will not let her suffer.
First pics are from 2013. Last one was tonight. The ottoman in the living room is her "spot".
Attachment 32661

Attachment 32662

Attachment 32663

Aerovette 10-11-2019 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADRACR1 (Post 1685496)
Sad news about one of ours today. We have a black Terrier mix named Lil Bit. She is about eleven. We got her as a rescue pup when she was about grown so not sure exactly of her age within a year or so.
Last couple of weeks she began to swell in her belly area. I mean a lot. Last few days she seemed a little bigger each day. I took off work early today and took her to the vet. Tests show her kidneys and liver are functioning well but she is suffering from congestive heart failure. Her valves are weak and allowing fluid to build up.
They drained out a little over a half gallon of fluid. She is still eating and drinking normal and seems to be getting around okay. Doc says she isn't in any pain but the swelling makes her harder to breath and uncomfortable.
We got meds to reduce fluid build up and help her heart work better but it is just a matter of time before she has heart failure. Doc says weeks, maybe a few months. She is a sweet little dog. I plan to do what I can to ensure she has a good quality of life while she can but will not let her suffer.
First pics are from 2013. Last one was tonight. The ottoman in the living room is her "spot".

My best friend's boxer had the exact symptoms and diagnosis. Codi made it about 4 months with minimal signs of an issue. All you can do is spoil her.

BADRACR1 10-12-2019 8:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1685498)
My best friend's boxer had the exact symptoms and diagnosis. Codi made it about 4 months with minimal signs of an issue. All you can do is spoil her.

Mine are all ruined lap dogs already!

LilRedCorvette 10-17-2019 12:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADRACR1 (Post 1685496)
Attachment 32661

Attachment 32662

Attachment 32663

So sorry to read of this news...2 of my boxers had a CHF diagnosis also, so I understand a bit how you're feeling. :sadangel:

04 commemorative 10-21-2019 3:41pm

5 Attachment(s)
We had to put our beloved Ty down this morning......he was the 3 lb poodle we inherited 8 years ago....he was abused by his original owners,breaking his hips and face ! We took him away from them and gave him to wifes cousins who then died......we had him for the last 8 years and all he wanted was someone to love him (which we did) and a lap to sleep on ......RIP TY.....you were the best

Aerovette 10-21-2019 4:16pm

Poor baby. Glad he had a good home.

LilRedCorvette 10-24-2019 8:10pm

My sincerest condolences :sadangel: I know how much it hurts.

BADRACR1 11-03-2019 9:55pm

1 Attachment(s)
Tonight was the night we took Lil Bit to the vet. She was swelled pretty big again and having difficulty breathing. I had to lift her into the car. I sat beside her on the floor and held her head as she took her last breaths 7:54 pm,, 11/03/2019. I buried her in the back yard. You know we all talk a lot of smack on here from time to time but when you hold your little dog's head as she passes you realize you ain't so tough.Attachment 33133

LilRedCorvette 11-03-2019 11:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADRACR1 (Post 1686799)
Tonight was the night we took Lil Bit to the vet. She was swelled pretty big again and having difficulty breathing. I had to lift her into the car. I sat beside her on the floor and held her head as she took her last breaths 7:54 pm,, 11/03/2019. I buried her in the back yard. You know we all talk a lot of smack on here from time to time but when you hold your little dog's head as she passes you realize you ain't so tough.Attachment 33133

So terribly sorry for your loss tonight :sadangel: this time last year Cosmo went to the Rainbow Bridge also. :(

Aerovette 11-03-2019 11:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADRACR1 (Post 1686799)
Tonight was the night we took Lil Bit to the vet. She was swelled pretty big again and having difficulty breathing. I had to lift her into the car. I sat beside her on the floor and held her head as she took her last breaths 7:54 pm,, 11/03/2019. I buried her in the back yard. You know we all talk a lot of smack on here from time to time but when you hold your little dog's head as she passes you realize you ain't so tough.

I don't even try to be tough. It hurts and it shows. They take a piece of your heart with them. Sorry for your loss. :sadangel:

LilRedCorvette 11-03-2019 11:46pm

One year.

1 Attachment(s)
A year ago today Cosmo crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I wish I could say the pain of the loss has gotten easier, but for me it has not. I just can't sugar-coat it at all. It feels like it was just yesterday. :(

Today I spent the day doing what we enjoyed doing together, and that was go for a walk. It was a wonderfully sunny autumn day that he would have loved being outside to soak up with me.

As Cosmo got older, spring and fall were easier for him to walk a little further. Toward the end, he could maybe make it to the lake park down the road...or sometimes just in the neighborhood. When he was a bit younger, we could hike the flatter portions of the Bull Run Occoquan Trail or the Bluebell Trail in Bull Run Park.

So, that's what I did today - a 'Cosmo T. Dog Memorial Hike' of about 4-5 miles of the BROT. It is 18 miles in total, but I just hiked the section that contains a Pet Rock Memorial Pile to place a rock in his honor.

Cosmo, I love you, miss you, and think about you every day :yesnod: I look forward to the day I can see you again in heaven. :angel:

A photo from his younger days...

LilRedCorvette 11-06-2019 11:21pm

1 Attachment(s)
Favorite photo from the hike...Cosmo would have approved of the day :yesnod:

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 11-07-2019 4:11am

Sorry for your loss.It never, ever gets easier.
:angel:

DJ_Critterus 12-05-2019 12:04pm

I had to say good bye to my Sir Snarls Barkley a couple of months ago. old man lived to be 10.5 years old. That Great Dane was my spoiled boy :(

LilRedCorvette 12-05-2019 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1688695)
I had to say good bye to my Sir Snarls Barkley a couple of months ago. old man lived to be 10.5 years old. That Great Dane was my spoiled boy :(

So sorry to hear of your loss :sadangel: fantastic age for a Great Dane with no doubt in my mind because of the TLC you gave him :yesnod: :seasix: although it's never, ever long enough. :nonod:

Old Ben 12-13-2019 4:20pm

1 Attachment(s)
Lost my buddy of ten years earlier this year. Miss him and still get a lump in my throat when thinking about him.

Attachment 34439

LilRedCorvette 12-14-2019 1:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Ben (Post 1693071)
Lost my buddy of ten years earlier this year. Miss him and still get a lump in my throat when thinking about him.

Attachment 34439

So sorry to hear, it's never easy :( I do love the way his paws are crossed in that photo, he looks so distinguished :yesnod:

Old Ben 12-14-2019 6:31pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette (Post 1693545)
So sorry to hear, it's never easy :( I do love the way his paws are crossed in that photo, he looks so distinguished :yesnod:

Thanks. He crossed his paws whenever he laid down. His baby half sister has started getting close. She was a little standoffish before.

Here is her 'Why haven't you fed me yet' look.

Attachment 34547

LilRedCorvette 12-15-2019 1:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Ben (Post 1693950)
Thanks. He crossed his paws whenever he laid down. His baby half sister has started getting close. She was a little standoffish before.

Here is her 'Why haven't you fed me yet' look.

Attachment 34547

Awwwwwww, she's as cute as a button! Glad she's getting closer to you, am sure that will be a comfort :yesnod: :angel:

A/E 01-03-2020 4:50am

2 Attachment(s)
Lost my 16 and a half year old Pie.

Deaf, Hernia, going blind, Heart Murmur, Tumor, Short of many Teeth, and Arthritis all contributed to here diminished final days.

Such as Normal Cat. No weird stuff, just a constant companion like a dog.
Always there. Part of the Family.

Attachment 36049

While were at it...

2 months ago to the day lost 15 an a half year old Cookie.

Hyperthyroidism got the best of her despite treating it with meds for over a year.

Attachment 36050

Cookie was skittish and never showed up near strangers, but was so affectionate and a heck of cuddler when she wanted to be.

First time without a Pet in the house.
No Kitty Litter to Scoop on daily basis.
No Meowing, Purring, or Brushes up against the leg this morning.
It's empty.

LilRedCorvette 01-03-2020 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by A/E (Post 1708558)
Lost my 16 and a half year old Pie.

Deaf, Hernia, going blind, Heart Murmur, Tumor, Short of many Teeth, and Arthritis all contributed to here diminished final days.

Such as Normal Cat. No weird stuff, just a constant companion like a dog.
Always there. Part of the Family.

Attachment 36049

While were at it...

2 months ago to the day lost 15 an a half year old Cookie.

Hyperthyroidism got the best of her despite treating it with meds for over a year.

Attachment 36050

Cookie was skittish and never showed up near strangers, but was so affectionate and a heck of cuddler when she wanted to be.

First time without a Pet in the house.
No Kitty Litter to Scoop on daily basis.
No Meowing, Purring, or Brushes up against the leg this morning.
It's empty.

So sorry for your losses...I know the sudden silence of the house can be tough at times. :(

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 01-10-2020 8:45pm

My condolences for your loss.

Never easy. They were loved and cared for.:angel:

LilRedCorvette 05-03-2020 1:38pm

1 Attachment(s)
In memory of Cosmo, a throwback photo of him at ~age 5. :angel:

Today marks a year and a half since his passing...the pain never goes away, you just learn to live with it.

LilRedCorvette 05-07-2020 9:05pm

Someone sent this to me today, just thought I'd share...an interesting read, FWIW:

http://www.theanimalstellme.com/blog...ets-in-spirit/

Aerovette 05-07-2020 11:13pm

I still talk to my dog's pictures now and then, or touch them. Just to say I am thinking of them.

snide 05-27-2020 3:07pm

We lost Salem, our black cat, today. He was round 7 when we adopted him 7 or 8 years ago. :sadangel:

LilRedCorvette 06-04-2020 8:27pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1769811)
We lost Salem, our black cat, today. He was round 7 when we adopted him 7 or 8 years ago. :sadangel:

Very sorry for your loss...it hurts, I know. :(

Today is the 1 year 'Unhappy Anniversary' of Clara's passing, Cosmo's sister. I went and placed a rock on the pet rock memorial pile on a local trail here, alongside Cosmo's. Tough day, but I found beauty in it. :yesnod:

Aerovette 06-04-2020 9:15pm

Quote:

Full life. Sorry for your loss. I have a few kitty cats waiting for Salem on the other side. Max, Blue, and Ellie.

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 06-17-2020 12:30am

Quote:

Sorry for your loss. We have a little black kitty who's 14 today.
We just adore her. Some arthritis and bowel issues showed up.
Not looking forward to losing her someday but enjoying her everyday until
then is the best thing for us all.

LilRedCorvette 06-25-2020 9:38pm

Someone in our online pet loss support chat group posted this recently as something they are doing to document/capture memories of their pet, just thought I'd share it here as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Remembran...p;qid=&sr=

Have met lots of wonderful pet parents, all with helpful ideas on navigating pet grief. As difficult a process as it has been, I am glad to now be able to help some of the newcomers through fresher losses...it all comes full circle, and paying it forward is good for oneself also. :yesnod:

LilRedCorvette 08-16-2020 10:52pm

8/16

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Birthday, Clara...you are still loved and missed.

LilRedCorvette 09-17-2020 8:41pm

9/17

1 Attachment(s)
Today was Cosmo's birthday, he would have been 14 today...here's a throwback birthday steak photo from when he was 7. :angel:

LilRedCorvette 09-29-2020 8:23pm

Dog obit

Saw this story online this evening, thought it was a wonderful tribute idea :seasix:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-car...143140778.html

Defib1961 10-30-2020 6:03pm

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 48614Attachment 48615Attachment 48616

Aerovette 10-30-2020 8:39pm

Very sorry Defib. Know that she is in good...no GREAT company on the other side. Many loving fur babies of ours are happy to meet her.

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 10-31-2020 8:39pm

So sorry for your loss. Take heart in the memories she left for you.
:angel:

LilRedCorvette 11-03-2020 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defib1961 (Post 1817928)

Beautiful photos of a much-loved dog...so sorry for your loss :sadangel:

LilRedCorvette 11-03-2020 10:12pm

Two years.

1 Attachment(s)
It is hard to believe that it has been that long...where did the time go?? And yet it feels like it was just yesterday :( they truly do take a big piece of you with them when they go.

I took a good drive to the beach today...the place I took him when I first got him and just before he passed. It is where I’d like his and my ashes scattered together someday. I drew a tribute message to him while there. It was a beautiful day, he would have enjoyed it.

I love and miss you, Cosmo :yesnod: :angel:

LilRedCorvette 11-03-2020 10:14pm

1 Attachment(s)
Found some pics I haven’t seen in a while...here is a favorite...

RedLS1GTO 11-09-2020 12:54pm

Had to make the painful decision last week for best buddy of 10 years. It'll be a long time before I get over my 4 year old son having to say goodbye so "he could go live with the other doggies and get better."

LilRedCorvette 11-10-2020 1:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO (Post 1820926)
Had to make the painful decision last week for best buddy of 10 years. It'll be a long time before I get over my 4 year old son having to say goodbye so "he could go live with the other doggies and get better."

That is absolutely heartbreaking :( so sorry for your loss, we understand just how much it hurts. :sadangel:

dvarapala 12-03-2020 12:45pm

1 Attachment(s)
My sweet little Smokie went to the bridge yesterday evening after a long bout with multiple illnesses. One of the few good things to come out of this pandemic is that I got to stay home and take care of her.

snide 12-03-2020 1:18pm

Sorry for your loss, Fred. :sadangel:

LilRedCorvette 12-09-2020 2:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1828758)
My sweet little Smokie went to the bridge yesterday evening after a long bout with multiple illnesses. One of the few good things to come out of this pandemic is that I got to stay home and take care of her.

So very sorry for the loss of your pandemic buddy :sadangel: but so glad you both had that quality time together, I just know she must have appreciated all the TLC you were able to give her. :yesnod:

Aerovette 12-09-2020 12:52pm

69camfrk 01-22-2021 3:59pm

Had to put our Min Schnauzer down this morning. He made it 15 years, and was just an awesome dog. I am crushed, but life goes on.:sadangel:

The_Dude 01-22-2021 4:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1848634)
Had to put our Min Schnauzer down this morning. He made it 15 years, and was just an awesome dog. I am crushed, but life goes on.:sadangel:

Aerovette 01-22-2021 5:41pm

Sorry to hear. 15 years is a decent run. :sadangel:

carlton_fritz 01-22-2021 5:43pm

Quote:

snide 01-22-2021 7:08pm

Quote:

JRD77VET 01-22-2021 8:15pm

Quote:

Sorry to hear but 15 years is a good run. :sadangel:

LilRedCorvette 01-25-2021 5:55pm

Quote:

So very sorry for your loss :sadangel: if you have any and/or feel up to it, please post a photo of him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1848699)
Sorry to hear. 15 years is a decent run. :sadangel:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1848818)
Sorry to hear but 15 years is a good run. :sadangel:

:iagree: No doubt in my mind a long life well-lived due to your TLC :seasix: whether it's 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, etc...the loss of a beloved pet hurts like heck nonetheless. :(