The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Lopped a branch off a tree today (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125528)

JRD77VET 04-17-2021 6:50pm

Lopped a branch off a tree today

1 Attachment(s)
and I'm happy to say I didn't die in the process :hurray:

The tree next to the neighbor's property died. One good sized limb was hanging over their property so I took that one down first.

The limb was about 16" or so at the main part and about 10' up. I had no other choice but use use a ladder to cut off the limb.

A small cut underneath to reduce tearing and then started cutting through the limb. It would crack and I would get down off the ladder. Get back up, cut , wait for the crack and get back off. The third time was the charm as it came down and didn't kick back or do any other funny maneuvers. :angel:

Here's the tree branch down. Where Mary is shows how long that branch was. It took over two hours with the Husky 345 using a 18" bar to cut it up.

Rodnok1 04-17-2021 7:03pm

Dead trees are no fun to cut down, just did a pine last week. Had to cut half way up or it would have hit a shed, tied ladder to the tree. It was punky wood half way thru which is zero fun to deal with.

JRD77VET 04-17-2021 7:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1874467)
Dead trees are no fun to cut down, just did a pine last week. Had to cut half way up or it would have hit a shed, tied ladder to the tree. It was punky wood half way thru which is zero fun to deal with.

This one died last year so it was still solid. I checked out pricing for a cherry picker and it was close to $600 for the day :kick:

z06psi 04-17-2021 7:13pm

Pffffttttt. Those aren't trees. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

JRD77VET 04-17-2021 7:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06psi (Post 1874470)
Pffffttttt. Those aren't trees. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Care to explain oh master of all knowledge? :toetap:

mrvette 04-17-2021 7:28pm

Me and next door neighbor have a single power pole we share feeds off to our houses.....and of course that idiot allows a large rotten oak tree to grow over MY driveway/wife's car, and lean weight downhill to my place/wires....tree guy wanted 2200 bux to cut it down some 2 years ago.....

I think a grand would cover it EASY........

BUT the tree trunk is rot and termites about 1/2 say though it, about 2' off the ground......lovely....:dance:

bill_daniels 04-17-2021 8:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1874472)
Me and next door neighbor have a single power pole we share feeds off to our houses.....and of course that idiot allows a large rotten oak tree to grow over MY driveway/wife's car, and lean weight downhill to my place/wires....tree guy wanted 2200 bux to cut it down some 2 years ago.....

BUT the tree trunk is rot and termites about 1/2 say though it, about 2' off the ground......lovely....:dance:

Your power company (FPL. maybe?) should be tree trimming every so many years, and they should be trimming that tree back from the power line.

LisaJohn 04-17-2021 8:19pm

:iagree: Call your power company to come look at it.

Rodnok1 04-18-2021 7:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1874469)
This one died last year so it was still solid. I checked out pricing for a cherry picker and it was close to $600 for the day :kick:

Guy up the street has a bucket truck like cable company uses, I have considered buying it for future tree removal. Been sitting there for couple years now for sale...

Jeff '79 04-18-2021 8:03am

Nice job. :seasix:
No death = winning !!

Chuck A 04-18-2021 8:26am

very nice, indeed

6spdC6 04-18-2021 9:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1874477)
Your power company (FPL. maybe?) should be tree trimming every so many years, and they should be trimming that tree back from the power line.

If that line is over private property the power company in my area will not touch the tree. My house is back a ways from the road and I have two power poles I own that are on my property and am responsible for! I do not allow growth to get tall.

mrvette 04-18-2021 9:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 (Post 1874573)
If that line is over private property the power company in my area will not touch the tree. My house is back a ways from the road and I have two power poles I own that are on my property and am responsible for! I do not allow growth to get tall.

I have asked the Clay Electric co. and the roads guys.....same thing....won't touch it.....damnit....:sadangel:

Rodnok1 04-18-2021 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1874472)

If the tree is deemed a hazard by arborist and homeowner is notified in writing(possibly by a lawyer) they are financially responsible for damages to your property then and can be held liable, I'm sure laws vary state to state, here if tree is healthy my responsibility stops at property line unless tree has been deemed a hazard by a professional.

mrvette 04-18-2021 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1874600)
If the tree is deemed a hazard by arborist and homeowner is notified in writing(possibly by a lawyer) they are financially responsible for damages to your property then and can be held liable, I'm sure laws vary state to state, here if tree is healthy my responsibility stops at property line unless tree has been deemed a hazard by a professional.

I hope so, but how to contact a tree expert/arborist......?? and then there are two trees I feel are a threat to my house......

I have been responsible for cutting down some 8 large trees over the last 24 years here.......

dvarapala 04-18-2021 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1874618)
I hope so, but how to contact a tree expert/arborist......??

Yelp. :yesnod:

MadInNc 04-18-2021 1:51pm

Quote:

I hope so, but how to contact a tree expert/arborist......?? and then there are two trees I feel are a threat to my house......

I have been responsible for cutting down some 8 large trees over the last 24 years here.......

Move:rofl:

That’s why I am. Big house has 200-250’ big pines, about 20 witching ~100 ft. of house. And then 4-5 what we call gum trees with 4’ diameter trunks. Every Hurricane I was praying nothing would happen:yesnod:

Rodnok1 04-18-2021 3:28pm

Quote:

I'd check the laws in your state but yes find an arborist, a tree company should have one on staff. If the tree wasn't going to land on anything important I'd let it go, but if takes power lines, fences, car, etc(dead and may fall on house) then I call.
Yes I've had to do twice. Once I offered to cut a dead tree down for neighbors and they said no.. So they got to pay for it to come down.

mrvette 04-18-2021 3:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1874680)
I'd check the laws in your state but yes find an arborist, a tree company should have one on staff. If the tree wasn't going to land on anything important I'd let it go, but if takes power lines, fences, car, etc(dead and may fall on house) then I call.
Yes I've had to do twice. Once I offered to cut a dead tree down for neighbors and they said no.. So they got to pay for it to come down.

Thing that gets ME is that the guy next door on the down hill side paid 300 out of the 800 to take down a 3' diameter oak tree.....I willing to chip in on this take down, but not 1 grand worth......what with the neighbor's wife on this, I figger they going to let their ins. co. pay the bill when it falls.....trick IS they cover damages to other folks/neighbors property when it happens??? or does my wife's ins. co. have to pay for her car and it goes against OUR claim reporting on the network?? :issues:

6spdC6 04-18-2021 4:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1874683)
Thing that gets ME is that the guy next door on the down hill side paid 300 out of the 800 to take down a 3' diameter oak tree.....I willing to chip in on this take down, but not 1 grand worth......what with the neighbor's wife on this, I figger they going to let their ins. co. pay the bill when it falls.....trick IS they cover damages to other folks/neighbors property when it happens??? or does my wife's ins. co. have to pay for her car and it goes against OUR claim reporting on the network?? :issues:

Wow prices for cutting are high down there. I had a couple of big tall tress cut down a few months ago. They were bad and leaning towards a neighbors camp, so I had them Pro cut. I paid $500 a tree and they did a god job. Course I live in a area that has a lot of logging contractors.

Gene by NY Law if the majority of the tree is on their property and damages your items AND if they know about it their personally libel. Give them a registered letter detailing the problem trees if they will not cooperate. Or if they will not accept the registered letter, tell them verbatim and record it. That way you have proof!