The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Macallan 18 (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125465)

Datawiz 04-10-2021 5:19pm

Macallan 18

Tried to buy another bottle of Mac 25 today ($2k), but none to be had, and no 21, so I settled for an 18 year for $360.

Still fantastic taste, but way more bite than the 21 or 25. I'm definitely hooked on the uber expensive stuff. :datawiz: It's all Scott's fault. :lol:

snide 04-10-2021 5:21pm

I haven't drank enough scotch to be a connoisseur. :shrug: I do enjoy a good bourbon though.

:cheers:

Datawiz 04-10-2021 5:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1872537)
I haven't drank enough scotch to be a connoisseur. :shrug: I do enjoy a good bourbon though.

:cheers:

Honestly, I hate hard alcohol, but I very much do appreciate extremely fine scotch. As soon as I can get another bottle of Mac 25, I'll get it. I will always have that on hand. It's fun to share. I certainly had some last night, and today had the first hangover I've had in about 15 years after celebrating the work win yesterday.

21 year Mac seems to be the sweet spot. Would like to find more of that. Probably 700-800 these days, but not 2k.

snide 04-10-2021 5:27pm

That's too rich for me. :funnier:

Dan Dlabay 04-10-2021 5:28pm

I'll stick to Jack Daniels and Canadian whiskey.:cert:

snide 04-10-2021 5:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Dlabay (Post 1872540)
I'll stick to Jack Daniels and Canadian whiskey.:cert:

Crown Royal is good stuff. :yesnod:

Datawiz 04-10-2021 5:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1872541)
Crown Royal is good stuff. :yesnod:

And you can keep your change in the purple bag!

snide 04-10-2021 5:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1872544)
And you can keep your change in the purple bag!

:party::party::party:

:shots:

DAB 04-10-2021 5:36pm

:faint:

and i fuss over spending $50 on a new watch....

thankfully, Mrs. DAB is good with $5/bottle wine. :datawiz:

Datawiz 04-10-2021 5:37pm

18 is much better with ice. :yesnod::datawiz:

snide 04-10-2021 5:40pm

I'll pour some Crown over rocks later this evening. :yesnod:

Datawiz 04-10-2021 5:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1872547)
:faint:

and i fuss over spending $50 on a new watch....

thankfully, Mrs. DAB is good with $5/bottle wine. :datawiz:

I'm tickled to be at a point in my career that I have no clue what things cost. I bought a new battery for the lawn tractor today and had no clue what it cost until I logged into my credit card website.

I just texted one of my club members to have her friend come pick up over 300 pounds of aluminum cans so she can take them to the recycle center and get some cash. That used to be fun, but now it's a pain in the ass. Certainly not worth my time. If someone, who really wants and needs the cash, they can stop by my house quarterly and get 150#'s of cans. :yesnod:

I just don't want to put them at the street. I'd rather someone enjoy the cash that they bring to them.

DAB 04-10-2021 5:53pm

saw a Dave Ramsey video earlier, and he had a study that found that the most significant contributor to having money in retirement was that you saved money early and often. not the rate of return, not what kind of fund you put your money into.

so i did some math (don't worry, it's not that painful).

example 1, salary of 80k, 30 years of saving/investing, set aside 15% (12k), assume 6% annual return (quite doable, moderate risk needed), you'd end up with $1,017,620

example 2, salary of 80k, 30 years of saving/investing, set aside 5% (4k), because you want to live larger, assume 12% annual return (hard to do long term, lot of risk to be taken on), you'd end up with $1,085,170

i'll stick with option 1 Alex, not that hard to live a little simpler for peace of mind and options later.

end of math...

:DAB:

Datawiz 04-10-2021 6:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1872553)
saw a Dave Ramsey video earlier, and he had a study that found that the most significant contributor to having money in retirement was that you saved money early and often. not the rate of return, not what kind of fund you put your money into.

so i did some math (don't worry, it's not that painful).

example 1, salary of 80k, 30 years of saving/investing, set aside 15% (12k), assume 6% annual return (quite doable, moderate risk needed), you'd end up with $1,017,620

example 2, salary of 80k, 30 years of saving/investing, set aside 5% (4k), because you want to live larger, assume 12% annual return (hard to do long term, lot of risk to be taken on), you'd end up with $1,085,170

i'll stick with option 1 Alex, not that hard to live a little simpler for peace of mind and options later.

end of math...

:DAB:

My wife is option A, and her IRA is massive.

I turned a corner in 2014 when I got slapped up the side of my face and I was a dinosaur. Honestly, I had no clue how to get my next job. Since then, I've reinvented myself in the cloud software business and I'm relevant again. My earnings in these following 15 years will dwarf the amount my wife has amassed in her account. :yesnod:

And again....we have a mortgage on a house with 300k equity, and just Patty's Subaru car loan. 3 of my 4 credit cards have negative balances at the moment. I'm definitely in the savings and investing mode for sure, but my ability to build pure cash wealth is still in full swing.

Steve_R 04-10-2021 6:03pm

1 Attachment(s)
I haven’t had Macallan 25, but this is damn good. :seasix:

Datawiz 04-10-2021 6:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1872556)
I haven’t had Macallan 25, but this is damn good. :seasix:

As soon as the C8 arrives, you and your cohorts are getting your butts down here. I was just told I'm down to 13 on the list. Was 85 when they shifted 2020's to 2021's. It's coming soon. :hurray:

We'll have a hell of a party with quality scotch. :datawiz:

BayouCountry 04-10-2021 6:07pm

I've grown attached to Four Roses small batch. Angels Envy is my fall back. I'll leave the high-end stuff to you connoisseurs.

DAB 04-10-2021 6:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1872555)
My wife is option A, and her IRA is massive.

I turned a corner in 2014 when I got slapped up the side of my face and I was a dinosaur. Honestly, I had no clue how to get my next job. Since then, I've reinvented myself in the cloud software business and I'm relevant again. My earnings in these following 15 years will dwarf the amount my wife has amassed in her account. :yesnod:

And again....we have a mortgage on a house with 300k equity, and just Patty's Subaru car loan. 3 of my 4 credit cards have negative balances at the moment. I'm definitely in the savings and investing mode for sure, but my ability to build pure cash wealth is still in full swing.

but if you piss it all away on fun, there's not much left for a rainy day.

long ago i thought i'd work for the same place for 25+ years.....the nuclear power industry didn't pan out the way I had hoped.

hope you are setting aside some each pay day. your friends might give you a nice bottle of booze now and then, but they won't pay your nut when you get old.

Steve_R 04-10-2021 6:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1872557)
As soon as the C8 arrives, you and your cohorts are getting your butts down here. I was just told I'm down to 13 on the list. Was 85 when they shifted 2020's to 2021's. It's coming soon. :hurray:

We'll have a hell of a party with quality scotch. :datawiz:

I’m in. :seasix:

I was in Scotland several years ago for work. Tasted lots of Scotch with a local coworker. I asked him “If you could only have one Scotch what would it be?” After thinking about it he said Highland Park. Not a traditional Scottish name, but very good. The 25 YO is amazing.

Datawiz 04-10-2021 6:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1872560)
but if you piss it all away on fun, there's not much left for a rainy day.

long ago i thought i'd work for the same place for 25+ years.....the nuclear power industry didn't pan out the way I had hoped.

hope you are setting aside some each pay day. your friends might give you a nice bottle of booze now and then, but they won't pay your nut when you get old.

Doug, don't get me wrong. My raise at the new company is a net of about 4k/month. I'm instantly bumping checking to savings transfers by another 2k a month, adding an additional 800 to the monthly mortgage payment, and now my 2021 C8 is paid for. I could afford the C8 easily way before the new job, and despite all the newfound money, all I'm doing is putting it away.

I will always have nice cars. Hell, I told my wife I could go buy a brand new Lamborghini today and it would have no dent on the finances, but I'm not mentally in that place anymore. I will have 1 Corvette at a time, and when it's paid for, I'll buy another. I will have a collection...GWiz will inherit it. I don't do debt anymore.