The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Recent Shots. Yes, Birds. Were You Expecting Something Else? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125302)

Giraffe (He/Him) 03-19-2021 9:13am

Recent Shots. Yes, Birds. Were You Expecting Something Else?

4 Attachment(s)
A couple different locations here, both of which are incubating. Hawky McHawkerson was around also.

simpleman68 03-19-2021 9:32am

Insane how much detail you got, especially during motion shots.
Scott

ratflinger 03-19-2021 9:34am

You could be British, then the 'bird' pics would been what was expected.

Great nature shots though

Giraffe (He/Him) 03-19-2021 9:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpleman68 (Post 1867371)
Insane how much detail you got, especially during motion shots.
Scott

All those years under a welding hood made me pretty steady handed I guess. I'd probably be a good sniper. :Jeff '79:

Mike Mercury 03-19-2021 9:36am

nice !

RMVette 03-19-2021 9:44am

Beautiful birds and great shots!

TripleBlack 03-19-2021 10:04am

Brilliant! :hurray::hurray:

It's hard to understand how difficult it is to capture images of birds in flight until you've tried it. I've experimented with quite a few photographic disciplines and it's easier to capture a nice image of the Eagle Nebula than an eagle in flight.

Giraffe (He/Him) 03-19-2021 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleBlack (Post 1867381)
Brilliant! :hurray::hurray:

It's hard to understand how difficult it is to capture images of birds in flight until you've tried it. I've experimented with quite a few photographic disciplines and it's easier to capture a nice image of the Eagle Nebula than an eagle in flight.

The single biggest thing is to understand what you're looking at. In other words, behavior. For example the shot of the two adults with locked talons was the resident male defending his nest. The female was incubating and the male was nearby on a branch. When the intruder came into the area I knew the male was most likely going to chase him off. So I stayed on the intruder just in case. My hunch was right. The resident bird started having a fit and gave chase.

You never know *quite* where contact is gonna happen unfortunately so you're swinging your camera around and tripping on the tripod like an idot.

The bird flying in with the seaweed I picked up when he was just a spec in the sky. I kept manually bumping focus until he got in close enough to take the pics then I let autofocus take over. I knew where he was going; the nest.

The Hawk shot was 'easy' per say he was just sitting there. I took my boilerplate shots then started dropping my shutter and closing down my aperture. A few of the shot's didn't turn out as I was down to 1/500th second at f/11. But a few did.

snide 03-19-2021 6:51pm

Excellent shots, as always, Thomas. :thumbs::thumbs:

:cheers:

Dan Dlabay 03-19-2021 7:53pm

Great looking shots and pretty birds.:seasix::cert:

VatorMan 03-19-2021 9:00pm

I hope you are letting professionals see those. Awesome shots.

LisaJohn 03-19-2021 9:12pm

Beautiful! Is Mr. McHawkerson missing a nail?