The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Hooray! Jury Duty! :( (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120357)

8Up 09-26-2019 10:53am

Hooray! Jury Duty! :(

Well, time to do my civic duty next month. I got a summons to appear in Magistrate court for jury duty. No idea what the difference between Magistrate court and any other court is but I guess Ill find out.

Norm 09-26-2019 11:58am

Lucky you. If you want to get out of it without submitting excuses, etc., and you got to voir dire (jury selection), when interviewed just say "if the defendant got this far, he/her is guilty". :D

I guarantee you won't be picked.

Cybercowboy 09-26-2019 12:23pm

Actually if you just show up wearing nice clothes and appear to be intelligent there's no way you'll make it onto the jury. And you'll be amazed at how people dress when they show up. Don't be surprised to see sweat pants, wife beaters, or what may as well be pajamas.

snide 09-26-2019 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1684400)
Actually if you just show up wearing nice clothes and appear to be intelligent there's no way you'll make it onto the jury. And you'll be amazed at how people dress when they show up. Don't be surprised to see sweat pants, wife beaters, or what may as well be pajamas.

Hey, if pajamas are good enough for "The Walmart", they're good enough for jury duty. :yesnod:

MrPeabody 09-26-2019 12:27pm

I like the pajama idea. I think I'll go with that next time I get called in. Or maybe a Speedo swimsuit.:leaving:

6spdC6 09-26-2019 12:32pm

Just tell then that your a firm believer in Jury Nullification! Judges go bug **** over that!:D

Mike Mercury 09-26-2019 12:50pm

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/49/af...12caf942a5.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/07/27/45/0...081540274a.jpg

https://pics.me.me/449-000-californi...t-44301070.png

Bill 09-26-2019 2:07pm

If I have the time, I'm happy to do my civic duty. I'd want thinking, logical people who wanted to do their civic duty available if I needed a jury.

Jobaka 09-26-2019 2:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1684406)
If I have the time, I'm happy to do my civic duty. I'd want thinking, logical people who wanted to do their civic duty available if I needed a jury.

:iagree:

As of this moment, the only way I would be on trial is if I were charged with a crime I did not commit.
That being the case, and with my life and liberty hanging in the balance, I'd definitely want reasonably intelligent people with critical thinking skills on the jury.

Familiarity with jury nullification wouldn't hurt, either. Just in case.

Bill 09-26-2019 2:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobaka (Post 1684407)
:iagree:

As of this moment, the only way I would be on trial is if I were charged with a crime I did not commit.
That being the case, and with my life and liberty hanging in the balance, I'd definitely want reasonably intelligent people with critical thinking skills on the jury.

Familiarity with jury nullification wouldn't hurt, either. Just in case.

Anybody who admits to being familiar with jury nulification is immediately going to be struck by the prosecutor as one of the prosecutor's picks.

DAB 09-26-2019 2:42pm

one question Judge: does he have beady eyes? :slap: :leaving:

Jobaka 09-26-2019 2:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1684409)
Anybody who admits to being familiar with jury nulification is immediately going to be struck by the prosecutor as one of the prosecutor's picks.

True, but a reasonably intelligent person wouldn't brag about it during juror selection.

99 pewtercoupe 09-26-2019 2:51pm

[QUOTE=8Up;1684395]Well, time to do my civic duty next month. I got a summons to appear in Magistrate court for jury duty. No idea what the difference between Magistrate court and any other court is but I guess Ill find out.

https://www.sccourts.org/magistratecourt/

Magistrate Court
There are approximately 300 magistrates in South Carolina, each serving the county for which he or she is appointed. They are appointed to four-year terms by the Governor upon the advice and consent of the Senate. Magistrates must also pass a certification examination within one year of their appointment. Magistrates generally have criminal trial jurisdiction over all offenses subject to the penalty of a fine, as set by statute, but generally, not exceeding $500.00 or imprisonment not exceeding 30 days, or both. In addition, they are responsible for setting bail, conducting preliminary hearings, and issuing arrest and search warrants. Magistrates have civil jurisdiction when the amount in controversy does not exceed $7,500.

69camfrk 09-26-2019 2:56pm

That shit is almost like getting a letter in the mail telling you that someone died....

6spdC6 09-26-2019 3:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobaka (Post 1684411)
True, but a reasonably intelligent person wouldn't brag about it during juror selection.

I posted that Jury nullification for anyone that is looking for a way to get off the
jury job.

Judges do not like us common people to be able to do that and will keep you off!

Lakota 09-26-2019 4:27pm

Two months ago, got a summons from Federal Court for Jury Duty. They have a call in system and your eligible for 90 days. If you over 70 you can take the old age exemption, which I did.

New York State had an old age exemption if over 70 but Governor Pataki took it away in 1995. It been re-introduce in the NY Assembly the last few years but it's lock up in committee.

Norm 09-26-2019 5:55pm

Good citizenship aside, if you want to get out of jury duty, and you have the chance, do it. There will be plenty of people to pick from. Did you ever notice when you get the summons, you have to call in with your number to see if you're needed.......and if you do have to go in, there are 10 times more people there that are needed. At least this is the procedure in the DE/MD region.

42 years as an LEO, I've been to court many, many times. Every damn one of them was guilty, or I would not have arrested them. This TV drama crap you see where almost everyone arrested is wrongly accused, set up, etc., is a load of bullshit.

My 2¢.

Wathen1955 09-26-2019 6:45pm

I got out of jury duty when I got a blood clot in the leg. After getting out of the hospital and doing a follow up with the doc, I was opening my mail in his office while waiting. At the same time I opened the summons for jury duty, I said "oh shit...". The doc looked at me and asked what was wrong? I said oh nothing, but I just received this jury duty summons. He takes a look at it, and says, don't worry...you'll never have to go again. He wrote me a medical excuse to be permanently excused.

I'm glad because I hated going. I always thought about another option for Jury duty. Since we have so many lawyers, why not have them sit on the jury. They know the law and are somewhat intelligent. It beats having idiots on there with an IQ of a rock.

JRD77VET 09-26-2019 7:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm (Post 1684426)
Good citizenship aside, if you want to get out of jury duty, and you have the chance, do it. There will be plenty of people to pick from. Did you ever notice when you get the summons, you have to call in with your number to see if you're needed.......and if you do have to go in, there are 10 times more people there that are needed. At least this is the procedure in the DE/MD region.

42 years as an LEO, I've been to court many, many times. Every damn one of them was guilty, or I would not have arrested them. This TV drama crap you see where almost everyone arrested is wrongly accused, set up, etc., is a load of bullshit.

My 2¢.

I hardly ever get picked. My BIL is a former LEO who was almost killed ( strangled ) by a gang member from Baltimore.

Bill 09-26-2019 8:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm (Post 1684426)

My 2¢.

The only time I actually was on a jury was long ago, in my 20's. I was the jury foreman on a DWI trial. Our defendant got hit by a drunk driver, not his fault, but they arrested him too, since he blew slightly over the limit twice (then .10). A cop saw the accident happen and testified our guy couldn't have avoided being hit by the other drunk. Our guy had a really good drunk tank video. We acquitted him in spite of the clear instructions from the judge that if he blew over .1 we MUST find him guilty.

Yeah, uh, sorry guy. Our drunk, after the trauma of getting hit, arrested, and tossed in jail, did better that night on his drunk test than we, the 3 men on the jury, figured we could do if we were stone cold sober right there in the jury room. Not surprisingly, it was the three women who wanted to find him guilty, but they eventually agreed to let him go.