The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Update on the ATI 45.. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103678)

NCC-1701 12-05-2016 6:23pm

Update on the ATI 45..

I went to the range today and shot 200 rounds threw this ATI 45 made in the Philippines and the report is pretty bad. From the 200 rounds I shot about 170 were failure to feed rounds that I had to constantly slam the slide forward. At times if I shot fast all the rounds would feed but when I tried to double tap or single shot the failure to feed occurred. I have ordered from Brownells a colt defender spring and spring guide assembly and two kimber magazines. I am also in the process of polishing the ramp that leads the round to the barrel although I believe that is not the issue. I also ordered an extractor because the brass kept bouncing off my forehead and top of my head the extractor head appears to me to be too short.

On the good side when it shot rite it was great not a lot of kick because the weight of the gun and it was pretty accurate. If these adjustments fix the aforementioned issues I'll be into this thing about 370.00 more or less which is still good.

Jeff '79 12-05-2016 6:25pm

Damn! No QC, hu?:cuss:

DAB 12-05-2016 6:25pm

i was just looking at the Wilson Combat 1911 Classic - $3,030 :faint:

that may wait a bit.

OddBall 12-05-2016 6:33pm

You covered the bases that I would have thought.

The only difference that I can see with a rapid fire is that things are heating up, perhaps causing a little expansion in key area's and allowing more freedom to the slide.

OddBall 12-05-2016 6:34pm

I take it that the round is almost seating, instead of stovepiping?

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 12-05-2016 6:39pm

170 out of 200 fail? Not too bad.... 15% success rate is an Obama Admin celebration!!!!!

If you're ever in a bad place with that gun, hopefully the perp will wait until the percentage turns in your favor!
If not, it's heavy enough to smash his head in!
:seasix:

NCC-1701 12-05-2016 6:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddBall (Post 1522157)
I take it that the round is almost seating, instead of stovepiping?

Correct

NCC-1701 12-05-2016 6:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 (Post 1522159)
170 out of 200 fail? Not too bad.... 15% success rate is an Obama Admin celebration!!!!!

If you're ever in a bad place with that gun, hopefully the perp will wait until the percentage turns in your favor!
If not, it's heavy enough to smash his head in!
:seasix:

:lol::lol:

NCC-1701 12-05-2016 6:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1522152)

that may wait a bit.

Don't waste your money...

VITE1 12-05-2016 6:51pm

Check your mags. They are an issue in many 1911's.

DAB 12-05-2016 6:54pm

for 45acp, factory ammo will run you about $370/1000. i can go thru 300-400 rounds in a practice session. do that once a month in warm weather, and your ammo costs quickly exceed the cost of the gun. may as well get something you like that you can afford.

simpleman68 12-05-2016 7:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC-1701 (Post 1522147)
the brass kept bouncing off my forehead...

Sorry to hear it is giving you a hard time.

I'm also sorry I laughed when I read the above; I couldn't help it.:lol:
Not that it's ever happened to me....
Scott

Bill 12-05-2016 7:32pm

Serves you right for not buying American.

:dance:

StaticCling 12-05-2016 7:51pm

I'm willing to bet it's the Magazines. Try Chip McCormick or Wilson's and I'll bet the problem goes away. :yesnod:

Also, what ammo were you using?

OddBall 12-05-2016 8:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1522215)
I'm willing to bet it's the Magazines. Try Chip McCormick or Wilson's and I'll bet the problem goes away. :yesnod:

Not saying it's not the magazine, but if it's not hanging on the magazine and/or stovepiping, I tend to think spring and/or ramp and feed tolerances.

I agree with the ammo brand, that can make a difference.

Do the mags work fine in another weapon, or are they specific to this weapon?

StaticCling 12-05-2016 8:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddBall (Post 1522221)
Not saying it's not the magazine, but if it's not hanging on the magazine and/or stovepiping, I tend to think spring and/or ramp and feed tolerances.

I agree with the ammo brand, that can make a difference.

Do the mags work fine in another weapon, or are they specific to this weapon?

Could very well be, but I have read reports of reliability issues with the Filipino 1911's caused by cheap sub-par magazines. There was a lot of griping about the Rock Island's having feed issues early on due to their terrible magazines...they have since changed to an Italian manufactured magazine with their newer offerings and the problems seems to have subsided. Mine runs fine with their included Italian magazine, Colt Factory and Chip McCormick 'Shooting Star' mags.

I know his is an ATI, but I would be willing to bet it's made in the same factory as the Rock Islands/Citadel's etc.

If it's any consolation, my Colt Commander was a jam-o-matic until I put around 500 rounds through it...When I was trying to figure out what the problem was, I took it to a very well regarded Gunsmith and he was perplexed, he just told me to keep shooting it. So I did, and it's fine now. Weird.

JRD77VET 12-05-2016 8:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1522168)
Check your mags. They are an issue in many 1911's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1522215)

It could be as simple as the tension or feed angle of the mags. The 1911 is a mechanism that is precisely timed. Slow down or alter that timing and funky things can happen.

As Chinaski wrote, sometimes simply breaking in a weapon smooths everything out.

OddBall 12-05-2016 8:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1522230)
Could very well be, but I have read reports of reliability issues with the Filipino 1911's caused by cheap sub-par magazines. There was a lot of griping about the Rock Island's having feed issues early on due to their terrible magazines...they have since changed to an Italian manufactured magazine with their newer offerings and the problems seems to have subsided. Mine runs fine with their included Italian magazine, Colt Factory and Chip McCormick 'Shooting Star' mags.

I know his is an ATI, but I would be willing to bet it's made in the same factory as the Rock Islands/Citadel's etc.

If it's any consolation, my Colt Commander was a jam-o-matic until I put around 500 rounds through it...When I was trying to figure out what the problem was, I took it to a very well regarded Gunsmith and he was perplexed, he just told me to keep shooting it. So I did, and it's fine now. Weird.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1522241)
It could be as simple as the tension or feed angle of the mags. The 1911 is a mechanism that is precisely timed. Slow down or alter that timing and funky things can happen.

As Chinaski wrote, sometimes simply breaking in a weapon smooths everything out.

I've had shitty mags too, and you're right, sometimes just breaking them in does the trick. What confounds me is that the round is making it out of the mag, and I'm assuming making it most of the way into the chamber. At that point is the issue still the mag? It could be, as you suggested the timing could be skewed. Also, it could be a combo of things as well.
I still keep coming back to it cycling ok during rapid fire. That still tells me that there is a lot of heat still in the weapon, expanding things just enough to allow freer movement 'twixt the parts. Maybe some more polishing is needed? Hell it could be the bullets aren't seated in the brass properly, or too little headspace in the chamber.

Ol Timer 12-05-2016 8:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1522152)

that may wait a bit.

You might want to take a look at Gunslingers for a Wilson. I've bought several from George at below list. If he doesn't have what you want, he can order one directly. He also has a layaway plan.

JRD77VET 12-05-2016 8:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddBall (Post 1522247)
I've had shitty mags too, and you're right, sometimes just breaking them in does the trick. What confounds me is that the round is making it out of the mag, and I'm assuming making it most of the way into the chamber. At that point is the issue still the mag? It could be, as you suggested the timing could be skewed. Also, it could be a combo of things as well.
I still keep coming back to it cycling ok during rapid fire. That still tells me that there is a lot of heat still in the weapon, expanding things just enough to allow freer movement 'twixt the parts. Maybe some more polishing is needed? Hell it could be the bullets aren't seated in the brass properly, or too little headspace in the chamber.

Too tight or too loose? Maybe a burr hanging up just slowing it down enough to be a problem 85% of the time?