The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   This is why McDonald's Coca-Cola tastes better than anywhere else (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117574)

Sea Six 10-19-2018 9:33am

This is why McDonald's Coca-Cola tastes better than anywhere else

Quote:

If you’ve ever gone out of your way to get to a McDonald’s just to satisfy a craving for their tongue-tingling Coca-Cola, you know how special the fast food giant’s soda is.

The Coca-Cola from McDonald’s manages to taste crisper, sharper, even fresher than the same drink from other fast-food restaurants. It’s almost as if they make the Coke taste better so you’ll come in for a “medium Coke, please” and decide, “sure, I’ll take a medium fry.” (Who among us hasn’t?)

Truth is, the Coke from McDonald’s isn’t magic. They just use really smart storage tactics and clever drink-mixing strategies to make their Coca-Cola refreshments stand out among the many purveyors of pop.

Here, a step-by-step guide to understanding why McDonald’s Coke is so special:

Special Storage
McDonald’s and Coca-Cola have had a unique relationship since Ray Kroc had the dream to expand the little hamburger joint into a fast-food goliath. He asked Coca-Cola to join him on the adventure, and they agreed. The two have been inseparable since.

It’s no wonder then that Coca-Cola has helped McDonald’s devise special storage techniques that make their soda so distinct (techniques that no one else uses, mind you).

While most restaurants have their soda syrup delivered to them in plastic bags, McDonald’s Coca-Cola syrup is stored in stainless steel tanks. This preserves the syrup’s flavor and protects it from temperature, light, and air, all things that can degrade the flavor quickly. The stuff in the bags doesn’t stand a chance.

Consistent Water Filtration
McDonald’s operates almost 37,000 restaurants across the globe, and at each one, you can guarantee the Cokes will be almost identical. That’s in part because McDonald’s filters their water many times over to maintain consistent flavor and quality.

They have to do this because different municipalities have different water sources. That means the tastes can vary from one city block to another. But with the advanced water filtration system, McDonald’s can get a better result time and time again, no matter the quality they start with?

Syrup Math
Most fountain drink machines flash-chill sodas as they’re dispensed from the spigot. It gets them cooler, sure, but not cold.

McDonald’s pre-chills their syrup. (They also pre-chill the water—more on that to come.) Most restaurants leave the syrup sitting in the plastic bags in a hallway or under a soda fountain. The syrup bags are, at best, room temperature and, at worst, warmer because of the kitchen’s hot climate.

McDonald’s also mixes their syrup-to-water ratio to account for ice melt. That means the drink has a slightly higher ratio at sip number one to make sure that sips four, five, and six are supremely refreshing too. This is also why you should never order your McDonald’s Coca-Cola without ice. You’d be totally messing with the carefully designed soda experience.

Chilly Temperatures
In addition to pre-chilling their syrup and filtering their water through an advanced system, McDonald’s also keeps the water for their sodas incredibly cold. Insulated tubes carry water that’s stored at just above freezing from the fridge in the back of the restaurant to the fountain drink dispenser in the front.

The temperature of the water is also optimized for peak carbon dioxide (CO2) levels. Indeed, CO2 doesn’t escape as easily from really cold liquids, so this temperature is designed to be both more refreshing and to keep your pop bubbly and crisp longer.

Straw Secrets
Compare a McDonald’s straw to that of any other fast-food chain, and you’ll see a size difference: McDonald’s is wider.

“It’s slightly wider than a typical straw so all that Coke® taste can hit your taste buds,” McDonald’s says on their website.

Perhaps it’s all about the flavor experience. Or perhaps it’s designed to make me drink more so that I wish I’d gotten the large instead of the medium.

Is that a lot of steps for something as simple as a drink? Sure. But if you’ve ever craved a Coke from McDonald’s, you’ve proved precisely why they go through the painstaking effort to make their sodas so special.

Who knew?

Mike Mercury 10-19-2018 9:59am

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/15/19...290eb18c39.jpg

6spdC6 10-19-2018 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1646941)
Who knew?

I would say a bit of bulshit in that. We have a couple municipalities that have very bad water (basically they draw from the river) no fountain soda any company has a good taste and that most certainly includes Mickey Dee's.:yesnod:

I prefer to get my soda with minimum ice. (some places give you the cup and you get your own) Just enough that when you take your last sip all ice is gone.

The over paid at minimum wage worker at those places most times even if you say light or minimum ice fill it right up. I do not see any difference in taste between what the store does or I do. You got to remember the more ice the less soda they put in and the ice is much cheaper!

Thunder22 10-19-2018 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 (Post 1646947)
I would say a bit of bulshit in that. We have a couple municipalities that have very bad water (basically they draw from the river) no fountain soda any company has a good taste and that most certainly includes Mickey Dee's.:yesnod:

I prefer to get my soda with minimum ice. (some places give you the cup and you get your own) Just enough that when you take your last sip all ice is gone.

The over paid at minimum wage worker at those places most times even if you say light or minimum ice fill it right up. I do not see any difference in taste between what the store does or I do. You got to remember the more ice the less soda they put in and the ice is much cheaper!

Captain Obvious says thanks!

https://i.imgflip.com/1m81ah.jpg

Uncle Meat 10-19-2018 11:47am

The BEST Coca Cola comes out of a glass bottle! All other forms of Coke suck.

U.M.

http://sfcitizen.com/blog/wp-content...2012/10/ml.jpg

Sea Six 10-19-2018 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat (Post 1646958)
The BEST Coca Cola comes out of a glass bottle! All other forms of Coke suck.

U.M.

http://sfcitizen.com/blog/wp-content...2012/10/ml.jpg

... and is made with real sugar, not high fructose corn syrup.

StaticCling 10-19-2018 12:39pm

Mexican Coke uses real sugar. And no, I'm not making a cocaine joke.

Mike Mercury 10-19-2018 1:04pm

https://meme.xyz/uploads/posts/t/l-2...ld-outside.jpg

Will 10-19-2018 1:33pm

WOW! Now if only they could put that much effort and care into making a burger that isn't absolutely awful, and running a drive-through that doesn't make you want to scream.

McDonald's Burgers and Chicken Sandwiches are hospital/school cafeteria quality. Their lines are the slowest and most infuriating. Their employees the bottom of thr fast-food chain barrel.

I am convinced it will go the way of Sears sometime before I die.

VatorMan 10-19-2018 2:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1646961)

:iagree:

Grey Ghost 10-21-2018 8:44pm

I knew their ketchup was specifically made for them and no one else. I think it's a touch sweeter. Same with the way they produce and cook their fries.

Aerovette 10-21-2018 9:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1646961)

Kosher too.

MrPeabody 10-21-2018 9:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1647264)
I knew their ketchup was specifically made for them and no one else. I think it's a touch sweeter. Same with the way they produce and cook their fries.

McDonalds is big enough to dictate to just about any vendor what they want them to make.

Giraffe (He/Him) 10-21-2018 10:41pm

Quote:

you’ve ever gone out of your way to get to a McDonald’s just to satisfy a craving for their tongue-tingling Coca-Cola
Yes. All the time.

Jeff '79 10-22-2018 6:47am

Interesting. I did not know that but McD's coke is definitely good stuff.:yesnod:

benny42 10-24-2018 7:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 (Post 1646947)
You got to remember the more ice the less soda they put in and the ice is much cheaper!

As a refrigeration mechanic i can tell you this statement is incorrect. The ice costs more, water bill, electricity, sanitizing, filtration, maintenance & repair labor. :seasix:

MrPeabody 10-24-2018 7:57pm

All the fast food places around here just hand you an empty cup and the ice and drinks are self serve. I usually make myself an Arnold Palmer.

Refills are free.