The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Recharging an A/C (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2927)

Lowcash 05-21-2010 9:00am

Recharging an A/C

When I turned the AC on yesterday driving home it blew hot air for about 35 minutes; then it cooled down enough to stop me from sweating but it wasn't 'cold' air. I checked the codes and I don't have any, although I did have the right actuator code a while ago; but not yesterday or this morning.

I had a similar issue in my Explorer and I ended up adding a bottle of freon and all is 'cool'. :D

Is there anything special I need to do prior? (ie. drain the whole system)
Where is the low pressure connection connection on the C5?
Is there anything special I need to look out for?

thegreenman 05-21-2010 11:08am

First thing I would do is to check the lines for oil to see if it is leaking. I don't know about the C5 locations but it might be the same as my C6, if memory serves me right one fitting was near the firewall and the other was near the fender. You should be able to follow the lines to find the fittings. I recharged mine when I upgraded the radiator, really easy.

WKMCD 05-21-2010 4:33pm

The low pressure tap is beside the battery den.

Sneaks 05-22-2010 6:47am

Hey Sean. For just a low charge, grab a can of 134a at autozone with the built in gauge and re-usable tap and hose. They are pretty accurate, and will let you know when you're in the proper poundage range.
:thumbs:

Lowcash 05-22-2010 7:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreenman (Post 36486)
First thing I would do is to check the lines for oil to see if it is leaking. I don't know about the C5 locations but it might be the same as my C6, if memory serves me right one fitting was near the firewall and the other was near the fender. You should be able to follow the lines to find the fittings. I recharged mine when I upgraded the radiator, really easy.

I checked this morning for any leaking and there was none.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WKMCD (Post 36509)
The low pressure tap is beside the battery den.

Got it. :cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks (Post 36554)
Hey Sean. For just a low charge, grab a can of 134a at autozone with the built in gauge and re-usable tap and hose. They are pretty accurate, and will let you know when you're in the proper poundage range.
:thumbs:

I have still have the tap and gauge from when I recharged the Exploder with 134. Will try to get out to Autozone today to pick up another bottle of 134a. :cheers:

Lowcash 05-22-2010 6:53pm

After discovering my last tap and gauge was leaking, I picked up another bottle/gauage and all is well. It blows colder than polar bear farts. :D

It was on just between the fill and add level. So I filled it up just short of the 'danger zone'.

Sneaks 05-22-2010 9:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowcash (Post 36583)
After discovering my last tap and gauge was leaking, I picked up another bottle/gauage and all is well. It blows colder than polar bear farts. :D

It was on just between the fill and add level. So I filled it up just short of the 'danger zone'.

I would ask how you know how cold a polar bear fart is, but hell you travel all over the world, so why bother. :rofl:
:cheers: