The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Tuning Q & A? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1398)

edcmat-l1 12-20-2009 9:02am

Tuning Q & A?

Anyone wanna start a tuning Q & A? Maybe make it a sticky?

Munch 12-21-2009 5:55pm

I'm up for it. I could ask at least a dozen questions off the top of my head.

Y2Kvert4me 12-21-2009 7:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munch (Post 17897)

So ask. :D

71corv 12-21-2009 8:19pm

I'll start with a question for Ed. Had my Z06 dynoed last March when you were in Portsmouth(?) I think. Tracked the car 4 or 5 times this year with no apparent problems (miss,etc). Do I need to have several pulls made to check if all the settings are still the same or if there is a problem? Thanks,

Gene :drivingskid:

edcmat-l1 12-22-2009 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71corv (Post 17912)
I'll start with a question for Ed. Had my Z06 dynoed last March when you were in Portsmouth(?) I think. Tracked the car 4 or 5 times this year with no apparent problems (miss,etc). Do I need to have several pulls made to check if all the settings are still the same or if there is a problem? Thanks,

No, tune won't change. I do some things that keep them very stable. I've had guys come back 6-8 months after a tune, and put down virtually the same numbers as when they were tuned. Had a maggie GTO customer, who a year after being tuned, made within 2 HP. That was at 530 rwhp. 2 hp difference is well within % error.

Had a C6 LS2 that made exactly, almost to the hundredth of a HP, 6 months after be tuned.

edcmat-l1 12-22-2009 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munch (Post 17897)

Shoot........

Munch 12-22-2009 6:00pm

Is a tune still necessary when adding a nitrous system using a controller such as "The Interface" by Harris? And if so, what's involved?

71corv 12-22-2009 8:42pm

Thanks for the info, Ed. As I've posted before, the car pulls like crazy coming off all the turns whether in 2nd or 3rd gear. Surprises a lot of people.

edcmat-l1 12-22-2009 10:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munch (Post 17997)
Is a tune still necessary when adding a nitrous system using a controller such as "The Interface" by Harris? And if so, what's involved?

I don't know exactly what that one does.

I would always recommend at least having a car dynoed after installing a nitrous system. Sometimes these cars are pretty lean to begin with (esp after a header install) so combine that with maybe a dirty MAF, a build up of carbon in the chambers, and it could be a bad situation. At least checking it on a dyno will let you know where you're at A/F wise.

Munch 12-25-2009 9:51am

What exactly does the torque management do on the A4 cars? I know you told me mine was turned off when you tuned my car but I'd like to know what exactly it did and what benefit comes from turning it off.

Thanks

edcmat-l1 12-26-2009 7:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munch (Post 18297)
What exactly does the torque management do on the A4 cars? I know you told me mine was turned off when you tuned my car but I'd like to know what exactly it did and what benefit comes from turning it off.

Thanks

It uses either timing or ETC to decrease the amount of power the engine is making, right before, and during an upshift. It is supposed to help the trans live (that's what everyone says) but I tend to believe it is more for comfort. The engineers don't want customers coming in complaining about harsh shifts.

Turning it off, or decreasing it substantially, makes the trans shift quicker, more firmly, and lessens the time the clutch packs are slipping, which some trans builders say is better for the trans than the slow gradual shifts which tend to let the clutch packs and bands spend more time partially engaged and slipping.

Vet4jdc 12-26-2009 9:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1 (Post 18368)
It uses either timing or ETC to decrease the amount of power the engine is making, right before, and during an upshift. It is supposed to help the trans live (that's what everyone says) but I tend to believe it is more for comfort. The engineers don't want customers coming in complaining about harsh shifts.

Turning it off, or decreasing it substantially, makes the trans shift quicker, more firmly, and lessens the time the clutch packs are slipping, which some trans builders say is better for the trans than the slow gradual shifts which tend to let the clutch packs and bands spend more time partially engaged and slipping.

So Ed....if you have an A4 and simply want a little more agressive shift but don't plan on going out and drag racing with it, which would you recommend?

For the average daily driver, would you simply decrease it or turn it off completely?

What is the approximate cost to bring it by Va Speed and have this procedure done? (I live and work in Va Beach)

edcmat-l1 12-27-2009 8:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vet4jdc (Post 18376)
So Ed....if you have an A4 and simply want a little more agressive shift but don't plan on going out and drag racing with it, which would you recommend?

For the average daily driver, would you simply decrease it or turn it off completely?

What is the approximate cost to bring it by Va Speed and have this procedure done? (I live and work in Va Beach)

It depends on several factors. First is how it responds to certain settings. Some respond better than others. Also depends on how aggressive the owner wants it.

I usually start with about 50% decrease in TM, along with shift adjustments.

As for cost, it's 400 for a dyno tune for a bolt on car.

Munch 12-27-2009 8:34pm

In regards to wideband sensors... It seems to me (who knows very little) that you would need 2, 1 for each bank. Would running one on each side be overkill or ideal and why?

Eagleeye 12-27-2009 9:09pm

Have an '01Z with 40,ooo miles. Only non stock item is Halltech CAI. Runs smooth but han never had a "tune". Just installed new MSD wires and NGK plugs. I live between Richmond and Williamsburg Virginia...Recommended Tuner ?

Vet4jdc 12-27-2009 9:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagleeye (Post 18476)
Have an '01Z with 40,ooo miles. Only non stock item is Halltech CAI. Runs smooth but han never had a "tune". Just installed new MSD wires and NGK plugs. I live between Richmond and Williamsburg Virginia...Recommended Tuner ?

see Ed at Virginia Speed

edcmat-l1 12-28-2009 7:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagleeye (Post 18476)

Me, of course LOL :seeya:

Vet4jdc 12-30-2009 8:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1 (Post 18472)
It depends on several factors. First is how it responds to certain settings. Some respond better than others. Also depends on how aggressive the owner wants it.

I usually start with about 50% decrease in TM, along with shift adjustments.

As for cost, it's 400 for a dyno tune for a bolt on car.

I would love to do it but with my current pay scale and the SO not working, I just don't have an extra $400 laying around to make my tranny shift a little nicer? :o_o:

Eagleeye 12-30-2009 7:43pm

Ed... PM sent

edcmat-l1 12-31-2009 9:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vet4jdc (Post 18726)
I would love to do it but with my current pay scale and the SO not working, I just don't have an extra $400 laying around to make my tranny shift a little nicer? :o_o:

Hope you find something soon. I'm sure you have much more important things to worry about rather than tuning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagleeye (Post 18825)
Ed... PM sent

Email sent.........