The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Anyone been to Peter Luger Steakhouse in Brooklyn? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119926)

Datawiz 07-31-2019 7:44pm

Anyone been to Peter Luger Steakhouse in Brooklyn?

Thoughts?

I'm taking a couple of people there next Tuesday. Aside from the fact that they DON'T accept credit cards...WTF?!?!?!

What are your thoughts?

04 commemorative 07-31-2019 8:26pm

There are a lot of other great steak houses in NYC that take credit cards

markids77 07-31-2019 8:30pm

Try the bacon. Seriously. If you like bacon at all theirs will change your perception of perfection.

Mike Mercury 07-31-2019 8:34pm

reviews:
Quote:

steaks are fine, but everything else sucks.

The waiters are indifferent or rude, almost proudly so. The sides are generally awful-i.e.-the tomato and onion dish. even in summer they serve supermarket quality tomatoes, and the onions are not any sweet variety. OK-some people, like my wife, like the creamed spinach. No drinkable wines. I have not returned here for a few years, but I had to put something in the "when did you visit "category, and I entered the oldest possible date.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...New_York.html#
Quote:

This place sucks!

My wife and I went here this past spring. I was truly excited about the experience. We had a problem in that my wife likes her steak med-well and I like mine rare. We had to order the steak medium and "deal with it" according to our waiter. About him, he was pushy, rude, and I was I could have waited on myself. The sides were average at best. For dessert, we ordered two. One came no problem, the waiter told the other one was out but he brought us an apple pie, and charged us even though we didnt order it.

Quote:

Peter Lugars is amazingly over rated. They start with decent enough quality meet but they do a shitty job cooking it. Also the staff sucks. The best steak I've ever had in the the city is at The Breslin. I'll take Del frisco over Luger's as well but I hate the atmosphere. Keens is better as well.

Quote:

Recently went to Peter Luger's after not visiting for 10 years. It just wasn't as fantastic as we remembered. It was our daughter's first time there so it was still a great experience enjoying it through her expressions. I think with so many options for great steak these days it is hard to be outstanding. With 3 kids in tow we had to get the hot fudge sundae which was the highlight of the evening for all. Remember it is still a cash only place.

Quote:

Luger's dry ages and butchers their steak in house and it's USDA Prime, so I would choose there.

I would imagine Ruth's Chris uses a wet age process. But the steaks do come out sizzling with a load of butter on top, so they got that going for them.

But in the end, dry aging > wet aging.

04 commemorative 07-31-2019 8:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1679538)
Thoughts?

I'm taking a couple of people there next Tuesday. Aside from the fact that they DON'T accept credit cards...WTF?!?!?!

What are your thoughts?

Arthur's Tavern in Morris Plains NJ is better I think.

https://arthurstavern.com/

simpleman68 07-31-2019 8:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1679548)
There are a lot of other great steak houses in NYC that take credit cards

:iagree: Most folks feel like they are 15 years past their prime but they used to be the place to go.
Scott

MikeB 07-31-2019 9:18pm

Haven't been there, but if the opportunity would ever arise, I'd try it.

mrvette 08-01-2019 2:11am

Why going to filthy overpriced NYC???

:dance:

04 commemorative 08-01-2019 7:45am

NYC has a life of it's own....I worked there for over 40 years and I miss it as far as the vibe......I admit I don't go there much because of the distance and cost but I do like Broadway Plays. Any city/town has places that aren't great but NYC has many many other places that are great.

snide 08-01-2019 8:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1679574)
Why going to filthy overpriced NYC???

:dance:

I have absolutely no desire to visit NYC for pleasure or for work.

04 commemorative 08-01-2019 8:15am

When I was in the business it was NYC or LA pretty much.....didn't have much of a choice back then.

Mike Mercury 08-01-2019 8:58am

http://images7.memedroid.com/images/...2dea4b1c3.jpeg

[img]https://pics.me.me/****-off-and-die-welcome-to-new-york-city-l-11708945.png[/img]

ZipZap 08-01-2019 9:07am

Keen's >>>>Luger's :seasix:

Grey Ghost 08-01-2019 9:17am

I ordered their steak sauce. I also make a knock version from a online recipe. The online version was better. They have been featured on programs on Food Network, etc...about aging their steaks, history, etc...They are huge! I think one feeds 2 or more people? The salad is tomato with Georgia vidalia sweet onion. You are supposed to use the sauce over the salad, but most use it as steak sauce. It does liven up tomato.

I was there before 9/11 for work. Our in-house travel agent put me in the Waldorf Astoria. I did enjoy the legendary salad and hotel. I wasn't wise enough then to know about 'Little Italy', 'Peter Luger', etc...I did some of the tourist stuff, cheap limo. ride from airport to hotel, subway, etc...once was enough for me.

MadInNc 08-01-2019 11:15am

Been there twice or more 10+years ago. Was 4/5 and had great Martini’s

But to others posts, lots of good steak joints in NYC

mrvette 08-02-2019 2:33am

I think the name itself is funny as hell, surprised not mentioned yet.....Peter GUNN should be the name of the place......

after all, a LUGAR is a Gun....and the first name?? gotta give the founder credit though for being inventive.....

Thunder22 08-02-2019 4:36am

Funny thread, Luger's is consistently rated as the best steak house in the country.
which i know will start a shit storm of opinions on here, but that's not the point. The point is that asking about going to Lugers is like asking people if you should let the 5 playboy centerfolds come over for the weekend or not.

Just go. Bring tons of cash.

too funny.

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/bes...erica/slide-50

btw- There's a Peter Lugers in Great Neck too, North Shore of Long Island by Manhasset, just in case you can't get in to the Brooklyn location.

Thunder22 08-02-2019 4:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipZap (Post 1679610)
Keen's >>>>Luger's :seasix:

This always is the debate around here, Keens or Lugers. The Chateaubriand at Keens is the best steak I've ever eaten in my life.

ZipZap 08-02-2019 4:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1679707)
This always is the debate around here, Keens or Lugers. The Chateaubriand at Keens is the best steak I've ever eaten in my life.

I thought the meals were reasonably comparable with the edge going to K, but the service at PL has got to be the worst, self-important old twats you'll ever meet. Crotchety old Fcuks!:rofl:

Datawiz 08-02-2019 4:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipZap (Post 1679755)
I thought the meals were reasonably comparable with the edge going to K, but the service at PL has got to be the worst, self-important old twats you'll ever meet. Crotchety old Fcuks!:rofl:

It is what it is. My client wants to go there, so whatever. I'd rather have Chateaubriand.

Thunder22 08-02-2019 6:16pm

Quote:

I've not found this to be true, but if you had to deal with dumass tourists all day you'ld be in a bad mood too, so put on your big boy pants before going to Lugers, don't be a redneck tourist, and don't ask for any steak "well done".

:leaving:

04 commemorative 08-02-2019 9:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1679761)
It is what it is. My client wants to go there, so whatever. I'd rather have Chateaubriand.

Then that's it man.....when the client wants to go.....you go.....you can name a different better place but if that's where they want to go.....done deal....have a great time and enjoy ! :seasix:

Millenium Vette 08-02-2019 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1679612)
I ordered their steak sauce. I also make a knock version from a online recipe. The online version was better...

Link to online version? :cert:

Quote:

I think this is all part of their schtick. It's not unheard of in many steakhouses, especially around NYC.

:cert:

snide 08-03-2019 7:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette (Post 1679799)
I think this is all part of their schtick. It's not unheard of in many steakhouses, especially around NYC.

New Yorkers are known to be assholes... :shrug:

Thunder22 08-03-2019 8:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1679805)

no, nyer's are nice people who have to deal with dbags coming here and being assholes and it pisses us off.

:leaving:

Thunder22 08-03-2019 8:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette (Post 1679799)
Link to online version? :cert:

it's not part of any schtick and it's not the norm in NYC steakhouses or any other NYC restaurant. Just like in any other part of the country, just don't be a moron customer, don't complain about the prices being more than your local Arbys or Outback and don't try to order wine by the glass from a bottle that costs $500. And again, don't order a well done steak lol

Thunder22 08-03-2019 8:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1679794)
Then that's it man.....when the client wants to go.....you go.....you can name a different better place but if that's where they want to go.....done deal....have a great time and enjoy ! :seasix:

this.

Not every steakhouse is the same in NYC, I go to different restaurants based on the occasion - date night? probably Del Friscos, out with the guys? probably Gallaghers - tourist friends in town for the first time? probably Sparks - Special nights - Lugers or Keens; Friends want overpriced touristy - BLT steak or similar.

There are different strokes for different folks.

Millenium Vette 08-03-2019 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1679812)
it's not part of any schtick and it's not the norm in NYC steakhouses or any other NYC restaurant. Just like in any other part of the country, just don't be a moron customer, don't complain about the prices being more than your local Arbys or Outback and don't try to order wine by the glass from a bottle that costs $500. And again, don't order a well done steak lol

The link you posted mentions it and that is what I was referring to:

Quote:

Well, never mind. Sparks is a great, old-fashioned steakhouse in the classic Manhattan style. The atmosphere is unmistakably masculine, the service is friendly-brusque, and the wine list is an anthology of California cabernet sauvignons, red Burgundies and Bordeaux, and other reds, plus a decent selection of whites, at prices that are often very fair. After a rent-related dustup in 2017, the restaurant's owners thankfully signed a new lease that will keep them in business for at least the next 14 years.
I've experienced similar in other high-end restaurants and it is a schtick to me, and not a bad one either. And yeah, it must grow tiresome dealing with the tourons who go to NYC and decide to eat in a nice restaurant for the first time. I've known a few waiters over the years and the only ones who can top their stories are cops.

VITE1 08-03-2019 12:08pm

Just as an aside a Ex maitre d of PL opened a steal house not to far from us in 1999. We've been there several times since we started coming down here in 2011. Great food, Great service and nice German atmosphere. They make the best Steak Tartar I have ever had.

dwjz06 08-03-2019 2:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1679594)
I have absolutely no desire to visit NYC for pleasure or for work.

:seasix:Been twice it smells like piss downtown. Over crowded. Not likely to go again, but would have liked to have seen the 911 memorials. Not enough time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1679805)

:lol: Par

Thunder22 08-03-2019 4:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette (Post 1679824)
The link you posted mentions it and that is what I was referring to:

I've experienced similar in other high-end restaurants and it is a schtick to me, and not a bad one either. And yeah, it must grow tiresome dealing with the tourons who go to NYC and decide to eat in a nice restaurant for the first time. I've known a few waiters over the years and the only ones who can top their stories are cops.

sure, but not "asshole" or undeserved lol Steak joints in NYC, unless owned by some dbag celebrity chef, are traditionally masculine, that's all I'm saying. :cert:

Plus, when the tourists from all over the world factor is thrown in, you get the idea.

Thunder22 08-03-2019 4:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwjz06 (Post 1679847)
:seasix:Been twice it smells like piss downtown. Over crowded. Not likely to go again, but would have liked to have seen the 911 memorials. Not enough time.

:lol: Par

if you've only been twice, your basis of opinion of who is an asshole in NYC is such a small sample size that i render your opinion baseless lol

But in all seriousness, there is a very very high percentage of non-Ny'ers living an working in NYC. So when you run into an asshole, just because there presence is currently in NYC, they could be joe asshole from Paris, or Amsterdam, or some place in jersey, or boston, or London or Frankfurt, etc etc. or even NYC, yes, but you can't label everyone an asshole just "because" especially when you've been here twice... just sayin'

This isn't a rip on non-nyer's, but you folks that live in small cities/towns have no clue or appreciation for living/working in a city that people dream of visiting just once, let alone live or work here. No one ever wakes up in some small town in the EU and says "i know i've made it when i get a job or can live in Whogivesa****land in Podunk USA", they dream of living in NYC, London, Paris, etc.... And if you don't agree, that's cool, it's not for everyone but don't shit on those that do. :cert:

Thunder22 08-03-2019 4:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1679839)
Just as an aside a Ex maitre d of PL opened a steal house not to far from us in 1999. We've been there several times since we started coming down here in 2011. Great food, Great service and nice German atmosphere. They make the best Steak Tartar I have ever had.

Yes, it's named Wolfgangs, it's on Park Ave. It's pretty much a carbon copy of Lugers right down to the schlagg :)

dwjz06 08-03-2019 4:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1679854)
if you've only been twice, your basis of opinion of who is an asshole in NYC is such a small sample size that i render your opinion baseless lol

But in all seriousness, there is a very very high percentage of non-Ny'ers living an working in NYC. So when you run into an asshole, just because there presence is currently in NYC, they could be joe asshole from Paris, or Amsterdam, or some place in jersey, or boston, or London or Frankfurt, etc etc. or even NYC, yes, but you can't label everyone an asshole just "because" especially when you've been here twice... just sayin'

This isn't a rip on non-nyer's, but you folks that live in small cities/towns have no clue or appreciation for living/working in a city that people dream of visiting just once, let alone live or work here. No one ever wakes up in some small town in the EU and says "i know i've made it when i get a job or can live in Whogivesa****land in Podunk USA", they dream of living in NYC, London, Paris, etc.... And if you don't agree, that's cool, it's not for everyone but don't shit on those that do. :cert:

Not shitting on it as a whole, but I live near Washington DC so I know what big city is like a bit. As far as Cities go. I do not like either. No I would not like to live or work there. There are some cool places to see, but I am betting there are places that smell better, and have nicer people over all. If you are biased that is cool. If this is all you have known. I have been around the country pretty well. In fact only missing around 10 states so far.:cert:

Thunder22 08-03-2019 4:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwjz06 (Post 1679856)
Not shitting on it as a whole, but I live near Washington DC so I know what big city is like a bit. As far as Cities go. I do not like either. No I would not like to live or work there. There are some cool places to see, but I am betting there are places that smell better, and have nicer people over all. If you are biased that is cool. If this is all you have known. I have been around the country pretty well. In fact only missing around 10 states so far.:cert:

same here been around a lot, been to 48 states and over a dozen other countries and major cities, including living in London for a bit ... it's all good, just thought NYC needed a bit of defending from the pitchfork and torch mob that I anticipated was forming :rofl: it's what we assholes do :)

Thunder22 08-03-2019 4:36pm

oh, and I will admit, yes, the subways smell like a toilet, and no one enjoys that.

MrPeabody 08-03-2019 7:04pm

I've been to New York City several times and the people were very friendly.

I did leave before it got dark, though.:leaving:

Grey Ghost 08-03-2019 8:47pm

I also considered just ordering their steak online, since it's dried aged, etc...price is still crazy.

Anyone know of an online place for similar dry aged steak that won't break the bank?

JRD77VET 08-03-2019 8:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1679891)
I also considered just ordering their steak online, since it's dried aged, etc...price is still crazy.

Anyone know of an online place for similar dry aged steak that won't break the bank?

https://www.backhomebutchershop.com/

Local high quality butcher. it's not "supermarket" cheap but it's really good.

Jeff

04 commemorative 08-04-2019 6:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1679878)
I've been to New York City several times and the people were very friendly.

I did leave before it got dark, though.:leaving:

:lol:....Good thing for you.....:Jeff '79:

Datawiz 08-07-2019 6:48am

3 Attachment(s)
Had a good time last night, and the food was awesome. We ate upstairs, and after awhile it got a little noisy, which was annoying, but between drinks beforehand and dinner, it was only $500 for 3 people, so right about what I expected.

Rob 08-07-2019 7:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1680208)
Had a good time last night, and the food was awesome. We ate upstairs, and after awhile it got a little noisy, which was annoying, but between drinks beforehand and dinner, it was only $500 for 3 people, so right about what I expected.

$500 for three with drinks is not too bad. Nice places in Nashville are starting to get that price range as well ($400-600 for a party of two).

I love living here, but Nashville is slowly outgrowing Nashville as it once was. Manhattan is priced about the same as we are for dining and hotels now days.

04 commemorative 08-07-2019 7:23am

Glad you had a good time and meals :seasix:

Millenium Vette 08-07-2019 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1680208)
.........it was only $500 for 3 people, so right about what I expected........

In before mrvette sez:
Quote:

that shit is ridiculous, the best steakhouse in fairyland back in the 80's you could get a steak for $8 for six people........
Seriously, glad you enjoyed the experience!

MrPeabody 08-07-2019 12:57pm

$500 is twice what I paid for my first car.:leaving:

Datawiz 08-07-2019 1:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1680225)
$500 is twice what I paid for my first car.:leaving:

How did it taste? :lol:

MrPeabody 08-07-2019 1:59pm

The worst thing about getting old is you remember how much things used to cost. That memory lingers much more vividly than the memory of how much money you made back then.:yesnod:

snide 10-30-2019 6:44pm

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/p...k-times-review

Datawiz 10-30-2019 6:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1686464)

Saw that today. :lol:

I agree with most of it, but the food was exceptional. Expensive? Yes. But for the clientele that I took with me, it was worth it. That's where they wanted to go.

kvozel 10-31-2019 2:53pm

I prefer Gallagher's off of Times Square...

snide 11-05-2019 9:20pm

https://www.insider.com/peter-luger-...ls-critique-17

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dway-play.html