The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Bad day for dad (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126465)

Aerovette 07-30-2021 3:02pm

Bad day for dad

My dad was diagnosed with Amyloidosis about a week ago and they went for a pre-biopsy consultation today to try to determine which type. The doctor decided the biopsy was not necessary as he is certain it is in my dad's bone marrow. He was referred to a Hematologist that can see him "sooner than later" (doctor's words). I know little about this disease but it is suspected that my dad's mother possibly passed from the same thing. That puts me next in line.

Some mentioned treatments were chemo, and stem cell transplant.

He's certainly had better news. :(

He'll be 82 on August 10th. He's my own personal Superman. :seasix:

I'm hoping and praying for the best outcome.

Mike Mercury 07-30-2021 3:08pm

from Wikipee:

Quote:

There are about 30 different types of amyloidosis, each due to a specific protein misfolding. Some are genetic while others are acquired. They are grouped into localized forms, and systemic ones.

The four most common types of systemic amyloidosis are light chain (AL), inflammation (AA), dialysis-related (Aβ2M), and hereditary and old age (ATTR and familial amyloid polyneuropathy.

Treatment

Treatment is geared towards decreasing the amount of the involved protein.

Treatment depends on the type of amyloidosis that is present. Treatment with high dose melphalan, a chemotherapy agent, followed by stem cell transplantation has shown promise in early studies and is recommended for stage I and II AL amyloidosis. However, only 20–25% of people are eligible for stem cell transplant. Chemotherapy and steroids, with melphalan plus dexamethasone, is mainstay treatment in AL people not eligible for transplant.

In AA, symptoms may improve if the underlying condition is treated; eprodisate has been shown to slow renal impairment by inhibiting polymerization of amyloid fibrils.

Management of ATTR amyloidosis will depend on its classification as wild type or variant. Both may be treated with tafamidis, a low toxicity oral agent that prevents destabilization of correctly folded protein. Studies showed tafamidis reduced mortality and hospitalization due to heart failure.[28] Previously, for variant ATTR amyloidosis, liver transplant was the only effective treatment. However, newer therapies including diflunisal, an anti-inflammatory drug, and inotersen and patisiran, drugs which prevent misfolded protein formation, have shown early promises in slowing disease progression. The latter two drugs have shown their benefit in neurological impairment scores and quality of life measures. However, their role in cardiac ATTR amyloidosis is still being investigated

Aerovette 07-30-2021 3:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1901228)
from Wikipee:

He is suspected to have the AL type. A bone marrow sample needs to be taken to be sure.

He was told under no circumstances should he get the vaccine.

Rodnok1 07-30-2021 3:16pm

Sorry man, hope things go well for him.

Giraffe (He/Him) 07-30-2021 3:42pm

Best of luck to him. You too. It's hard when parents get old.

The_Dude 07-30-2021 3:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giraffe (Post 1901238)
Best of luck to him. You too. It's hard when parents get old.

:withstupid::angel:

snide 07-30-2021 6:16pm

Hoping for the best, but, well, you know. :angel:

Datawiz 07-30-2021 6:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1901225)
My dad was diagnosed with Amyloidosis about a week ago and they went for a pre-biopsy consultation today to try to determine which type. The doctor decided the biopsy was not necessary as he is certain it is in my dad's bone marrow. He was referred to a Hematologist that can see him "sooner than later" (doctor's words). I know little about this disease but it is suspected that my dad's mother possibly passed from the same thing. That puts me next in line.

Beautiful thoughts for your dad. He and I share the same birthday, and I'm confident he's a better electrician than I am.

dvarapala 07-30-2021 6:26pm

:sadangel:

Bill 07-30-2021 6:26pm

Damn, sorry to hear this. Let's hope medical intervention will work for him.

Is stem cell transplant the same thing as bone marrow transplant? Would you be able to donate to your dad? If not, and he's needing a donor, pm me details about how to get tested.

99 pewtercoupe 07-30-2021 6:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1901230)
He is suspected to have the AL type. A bone marrow sample needs to be taken to be sure.

He was told under no circumstances should he get the vaccine.

Bone marrow sample taking is tons of fun. I went through it three times during diagnosis and treatment for HCL in the late 80s. It still beats the alternative. Good luck to him

MadInNc 07-30-2021 7:15pm

Good lick to him :yesnod:

Thunder22 07-30-2021 7:35pm

Good luck to him. !

dvarapala 07-30-2021 7:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadInNc (Post 1901284)

And good luck as well. :yesnod:

Dan Dlabay 07-30-2021 7:51pm

Will keep him in our prayers. May God bless him:angel:

Black94lt1 07-30-2021 8:00pm

Keeping your dad in my thoughts and prayers

Norm 07-31-2021 7:06am

The best of, hoping treatments work.

lrobe22 07-31-2021 11:32am

Hoping for the best.

Aerovette 07-31-2021 11:34am

This disease does not have a very good prognosis. We are going to try to get him in a clinical study. The upside is that it is not placebo vs drug. It is historical treatment vs historical treatment plus an added drug.

LisaJohn 08-01-2021 5:26am

Thoughts and prayers.

86RAG 08-01-2021 6:04am

Hoping for the best :angel:

Murray 08-01-2021 6:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86RAG (Post 1901534)
Hoping for the best :angel:

This ^^^^^ :sadangel:

Aerovette 08-03-2021 5:51pm

Dad just met with a cardiac/amyloidosis doctor and he is sending him straight over to the hospital. There's a lot going on. They said to plan on being there at least a week. On the upside, Methodist hospital is one of the best amyloidosis hospitals. Certainly the best in Houston. The Dr. seems to be genuinely interested, which is unusual among the 7 or so doctors he has already been to. He also seems to be not revealing all he suspects. That is extremely worrisome.

This video explains a lot for the curious...

Rodnok1 08-03-2021 6:10pm

Hopefully they get it under control, sounds like dr on top of things.

04 commemorative 08-03-2021 8:47pm

Vandelay Industries 08-03-2021 10:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1902166)
Hopefully they get it under control, sounds like dr on top of things.

:iagree::sadangel:

86RAG 08-04-2021 5:30am

Still hoping for a positive outcome :yesnod:

Mick 08-04-2021 4:57pm

Best of luck you your Dad. :yesnod:

Anjdog2003 08-04-2021 5:34pm

VITE1 08-04-2021 5:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadInNc (Post 1901284)

That will depend on the nurse.

Best wishes for the OPs Dad. :angel:

dwjz06 08-04-2021 6:39pm

Quote:

:sadangel: Prayers for the best outcome Jeff.:cert:

theandies 08-04-2021 6:49pm

Quote:

Dude I feel for you. I lost my superhero a few years ago at 82. I still miss that man today. In this time just be there for him, let him know you love him everyday and look back at all the good times you've enjoyed (and even the bad time as my father always taught me something when times were bad) together.
You both are in my thoughts.

Aerovette 08-04-2021 10:00pm

Flashback: I had a thread where I was saying they wanted to remove the pacemaker and leads from my dad. This newest doctor said that essentially it is doing nothing. My dad is in afib with the pacemaker. It is not doing anything to prevent it. That is why they want to take it out. The leads are allowing leakage and the thought is that they can remove the lead, clip the other valve, and he should be markedly improved. No sense having a pacemaker that is doing NOTHING.

Rodnok1 08-05-2021 7:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1902398)
Flashback: I had a thread where I was saying they wanted to remove the pacemaker and leads from my dad. This newest doctor said that essentially it is doing nothing. My dad is in afib with the pacemaker. It is not doing anything to prevent it. That is why they want to take it out. The leads are allowing leakage and the thought is that they can remove the lead, clip the other valve, and he should be markedly improved. No sense having a pacemaker that is doing NOTHING.

:iagree:

Aerovette 08-06-2021 2:06pm

My dad had a bone marrow biopsy taken today. As was stated by 99 pewtercoupe earlier, it was extremely painful for him. Because of stupid hospital rules, we set up video communication last night so at least I get to virtually visit.

This is rough for both my parents. Your prayers and well wishes are appreciated and needed.

Rodnok1 08-06-2021 2:14pm

Yep they suck unfortunately, all part of figuring put what's wrong and get him better though.

Aerovette 08-06-2021 2:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1902792)
Yep they suck unfortunately, all part of figuring put what's wrong and get him better though.

The doctor said he is pretty sure it is the AL version, which is not good, but if it has been caught early enough, the outcome is better.

Vandelay Industries 08-06-2021 7:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1902790)
My dad had a bone marrow biopsy taken today. As was stated by 99 pewtercoupe earlier, it was extremely painful for him. Because of stupid hospital rules, we set up video communication last night so at least I get to virtually visit.

This is rough for both my parents. Your prayers and well wishes are appreciated and needed.

Consider it done.

dwjz06 08-06-2021 9:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1902790)

🙏🙏🙏hope for the best Jeff:cert:

carlton_fritz 08-07-2021 8:40pm

1 Attachment(s)

Aerovette 08-07-2021 10:17pm

The official diagnosis will be Monday as far as I know. I expect the worst and hope for the best. That's all that can be done. Worry and sorrow will not change the outcome. We will get the diagnosis, the treatment options and let Dad decide, He has every right to be selfish in his choice.

Aerovette 08-20-2021 11:11am

My dad begins his chemo the week after next. Taking Velcade once a week for 15 weeks. This is going to be a tough time for him. :(

Rodnok1 08-20-2021 11:18am

Sorry to hear man, praying for a positive outcome for him.

RMVette 08-20-2021 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1906519)

Agreed...

Aerovette 08-20-2021 11:42am

The official diagnosis is Multiple Myeloma.

Multiple myeloma is a cancer that forms in a type of white blood cell called a plasma cell. Healthy plasma cells help you fight infections by making antibodies that recognize and attack germs.

In multiple myeloma, cancerous plasma cells accumulate in the bone marrow and crowd out healthy blood cells. Rather than produce helpful antibodies, the cancer cells produce abnormal proteins that can cause complications.

Treatment for multiple myeloma isn't always necessary right away. If the multiple myeloma is slow growing and isn't causing signs and symptoms, your doctor may recommend close monitoring instead of immediate treatment. For people with multiple myeloma who require treatment, a number of options are available to help control the disease.
It's not clear what causes myeloma.

Doctors know that myeloma begins with one abnormal plasma cell in your bone marrow — the soft, blood-producing tissue that fills in the center of most of your bones. The abnormal cell multiplies rapidly.

Because cancer cells don't mature and then die as normal cells do, they accumulate, eventually overwhelming the production of healthy cells. In the bone marrow, myeloma cells crowd out healthy blood cells, leading to fatigue and an inability to fight infections.

The myeloma cells continue trying to produce antibodies, as healthy plasma cells do, but the myeloma cells produce abnormal antibodies that the body can't use. Instead, the abnormal antibodies (monoclonal proteins, or M proteins) build up in the body and cause problems such as damage to the kidneys. Cancer cells can also cause damage to the bones that increases the risk of broken bones.

They are telling us that they believe they caught this in its phase that is most treatable. Hopefully that is true.

dwjz06 08-20-2021 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1906529)
The official diagnosis is Multiple Myeloma.

Multiple myeloma is a cancer that forms in a type of white blood cell called a plasma cell. Healthy plasma cells help you fight infections by making antibodies that recognize and attack germs.

In multiple myeloma, cancerous plasma cells accumulate in the bone marrow and crowd out healthy blood cells. Rather than produce helpful antibodies, the cancer cells produce abnormal proteins that can cause complications.

Treatment for multiple myeloma isn't always necessary right away. If the multiple myeloma is slow growing and isn't causing signs and symptoms, your doctor may recommend close monitoring instead of immediate treatment. For people with multiple myeloma who require treatment, a number of options are available to help control the disease.
It's not clear what causes myeloma.

Doctors know that myeloma begins with one abnormal plasma cell in your bone marrow — the soft, blood-producing tissue that fills in the center of most of your bones. The abnormal cell multiplies rapidly.

Because cancer cells don't mature and then die as normal cells do, they accumulate, eventually overwhelming the production of healthy cells. In the bone marrow, myeloma cells crowd out healthy blood cells, leading to fatigue and an inability to fight infections.

The myeloma cells continue trying to produce antibodies, as healthy plasma cells do, but the myeloma cells produce abnormal antibodies that the body can't use. Instead, the abnormal antibodies (monoclonal proteins, or M proteins) build up in the body and cause problems such as damage to the kidneys. Cancer cells can also cause damage to the bones that increases the risk of broken bones.

They are telling us that they believe they caught this in its phase that is most treatable. Hopefully that is true.

Prayers for the best outcome Jeff. Keep your spirits up, and help out the best you can.:cert:

ZipZap 08-20-2021 12:15pm

I had cancer, not blood, that they caught early enough as well. Outcome was good. Wishing your dad the same. Medicine has become pretty good these days:seasix: The hardest part for me was mental, so make sure he has the best support system available. Even just to talk/sit. It's scary shit and dudes like to act tough.

RMVette 08-20-2021 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1906529)

Hope its true too!

Loco Vette 08-20-2021 12:58pm

As always, pulling for you guys.

Ms.Gem 08-20-2021 1:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1906519)

This...:iagree:

Vandelay Industries 08-20-2021 1:17pm

Oh man, that sucks. But that's great news about the timing.

Stay strong for your Dad....he needs that in this battle.

MadInNc 08-20-2021 3:51pm

Jeff! Praying for ya🙏🏻 And more for PoPs🙏🏻 Thanks for update. Can they do marrow transplant ?

Aerovette 08-20-2021 5:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadInNc (Post 1906622)
Jeff! Praying for ya🙏🏻 And more for PoPs🙏🏻 Thanks for update. Can they do marrow transplant ?

Greatly appreciated.

At 82, that is a last resort/last option. It was discussed but the oncologist seems to be certain this will respond and thinks a transplant would be complicated by his age. It is apparently not a lot of fun to say the least. Not that chemo is, but unless they are minimizing this for some reason, it seems we'll see improvement in 10 weeks. At 6 weeks they will know if the course of action is effective, at 10 weeks he should feel noticeably better, and at 15 weeks receive the last treatment. I'm concerned because I couldn't find anything that addressed that short a term for treatment. Most had 1 year schedules with a 6 month evaluation. I'm hoping they are not sugar-coating it all.

Aerovette 08-20-2021 5:39pm

I am humbled by the "Thanks" given in my OP. It means a lot to me and it will mean a lot to my dad when I share your well wishes. He sometimes forgets, as I do, that there is genuine "good" left in this world.

Thank you all !

Aerovette 09-13-2021 7:41am

In the waiting room. First chemo for dad coming up in 20 minutes.😷

Steve_R 09-13-2021 8:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1912263)

Stay strong for him, he needs you. Good luck.

Bill 09-13-2021 9:51am

I'm glad you're there to take care of him, Jeff. Stay strong, and stay dry.

JetMechZ16 09-13-2021 10:42am

I hope things go well for him. :seasix:

Rodnok1 09-13-2021 11:42am

Positive thoughts for yer pops

Rodnok1 09-13-2021 11:43am

Positive thoughts for yer dad

RMVette 09-13-2021 12:00pm

Praying things go well!

Aerovette 09-13-2021 12:05pm

He's home. So far he feels like he did when he went in. Not sure when the nausea should be expected, but none yet.

Thank you for the well wishes.

RMVette 09-13-2021 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1912308)
He's home. So far he feels like he did when he went in. Not sure when the nausea should be expected, but none yet.

Great news! :hurray:

Rob 09-13-2021 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1912263)

I went to a few treatments with my Dad, just make sure he keeps eating so he can maintain his strength. My prayers will be with you and your Dad during this time.

86RAG 09-13-2021 3:15pm

Always nice to hear good news! :hurray:

Aerovette 09-13-2021 4:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86RAG (Post 1912325)
Always nice to hear good news! :hurray:

1 down, 14 to go. :seasix:

MadInNc 09-13-2021 4:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1912331)
1 down, 14 to go. :seasix:

hope the rest are as this one..

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 09-14-2021 4:06am

Prayers for you and your Dad both for the weeks ahead.
Prayers for life and a gentle recovery.

Aerovette 09-28-2021 5:14pm

Amazingly, my dad had his third chemo treatment with zero side effects. Two more and they will run a battery of tests and see if anything needs tweaked and if any progress is being made. Then Round two for 5 more weeks.

dwjz06 09-28-2021 5:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1912308)

:seasix::cert:

Rikki Z-06 09-28-2021 5:58pm

Praying for you here in Florida.

simpleman68 09-28-2021 8:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1914771)
Amazingly, my dad had his third chemo treatment with zero side effects. Two more and they will run a battery of tests and see if anything needs tweaked and if any progress is being made. Then Round two for 5 more weeks.

We'll keep him in our thoughts and prayers. Been through a few chemo treatments with others and they can be brutal.

Long time friend of mine has been battling pancreatic cancer for over a year and he's barely hanging in.
Scott

86RAG 09-29-2021 6:09am

Sounds like he is doing well, great news! :yesnod:

Rodnok1 09-29-2021 6:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1914771)

Hopefully this knocks the shit down and for good, glad he's taking the treatments so well.

JetMechZ16 09-29-2021 10:24am

I really hope your dad is doing well. It sounds like he needs a break, some time that he can feel healthy and appreciate being with those that love him like yourself.:angel: