The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Me getting F-15 familiarization (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118944)

69camfrk 03-20-2019 4:36pm

Me getting F-15 familiarization

2 Attachment(s)
Here is an example of good old fashioned media manipulation.

Getting familiar with the controls, and engine start procedure on a F-15 in the hangar, prior to an incentive flight.
Attachment 24165

What I was really in, inside our building. It is a legit cockpit section that was used for something. If I can recruit a few buddies, the thing that it is on has casters, so in theory, they could roll me around the building while I make airplane noises.:D
Attachment 24166

snide 03-20-2019 5:03pm

Wheeeeeeeeee!

DAB 03-20-2019 5:04pm

push

the

red

button

Barn Babe 03-20-2019 5:06pm

:cool: :flag:

69camfrk 03-20-2019 5:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1662462)
Wheeeeeeeeee!

That would be about it. But, it goes to show you what can be manipulated. I sent the pics to my AF buddies for a laugh. They definitely saw the humor!

Norm 03-20-2019 5:26pm

That's cool! :USA: :seasix:

Datawiz 03-20-2019 5:37pm

That's what happens to a perfectly good plane when they let you drive.

69camfrk 03-20-2019 5:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1662468)

I do have a pilot's license, and when I was actively flying, I was always able to reuse the same aircraft!:D I never did get to fly in a fighter while I was in. I did get a ride in a B-1B, and that was pretty damn cool.:seasix:

MadInNc 03-20-2019 6:46pm

Quote:

what's the saying?

It will buff right out... :yesnod:

JRD77VET 03-20-2019 7:33pm

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I built quite a few components for AF and NAVY flight simulators. I machined the frames plus the upper canopy frames and the lower canopy frame.

I also completely machined an ejection seat test fixture. I designed the fixturing and made the program.

On the forklift is the center aluminum section. The finished unit shown assembled is about 10' tall. The steel frame (blue) allows the aluminum center section to rock back and forth. The center section pivots on the top and bottom and rotated about 30* either way. The inner section had rotation.

boracayjohnny 03-21-2019 6:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1662472)
I do have a pilot's license, and when I was actively flying, I was always able to reuse the same aircraft!:D I never did get to fly in a fighter while I was in. I did get a ride in a B-1B, and that was pretty damn cool.:seasix:

A B-1? Yea, that's way cool. I just got an incentive on a 135 refueling F-4s near the P-I.

69camfrk 03-21-2019 5:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracayjohnny (Post 1662546)
A B-1? Yea, that's way cool. I just got an incentive on a 135 refueling F-4s near the P-I.

What transport aircraft did you fly on? Tankers are a pretty good ride, but the heating system is all over the place. It's hard to find a spot on them where you either don't burn up, or freeze. Not much middle ground.:seasix:

boracayjohnny 03-21-2019 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1662645)
What transport aircraft did you fly on? Tankers are a pretty good ride, but the heating system is all over the place. It's hard to find a spot on them where you either don't burn up, or freeze. Not much middle ground.:seasix:

I've ridden all the transports many times. Enough so, I know the good seat areas. Yet, all can be shitty with heating/cooling depending upon the human, and I'm being generous in the life form description, loadmaster. It all boils down to people are people. Not everyone you meet is a cool dude/dudette. I'm sure some of the folks I've yelled at on aircraft think I'm walking butt cheeks too. But anyway...

Case in point for being cool, we were in Balad in '04. Balad got hit so much by incoming a nickname stuck; Mortaritaville. With that said, plenty of aircrews remained on the ground as little as possible. The wing's detaching? Slap some duct tape on it, we'll fly low level, and let's GTFO. So, there I was on a C5 doing my thing as the aircraft services coordinator aka Ramp Tramp. Our crew had downloaded the fully loaded aircraft, was then downloading the very limited amount of loaders, and the outbound cargo was next to be uploaded which usually was just empty pallets going back. Me and another maintenance guy were the only one in the cargo area and were flinging buffalo chips. Everything was going as fast as possible since I was also could see the load crew in the distance. Here comes Lt Col Rambo wearing his getting shot at stuff. Me and the other dude are also battle ready in our ultra high protection cotton t-shirt. Blah, blah, blah buttering up begins. And then, "Could you guys hurry up, we're an extremely large target". I respond with, "Yes Sir, I understand that but we live here". I'm looking at Lt Col Rambo and seeing his mental Rolodex spinning but not landing on anything. Suddenly, the Rolodex locks and out spits ass kissing points well rehearsed. "You guys are doing a great job and I'll forward my concerns to my boss how you need better protection here." It was longer but that's the gist of it. He then just walks off. I never seen him again. Fukkwit.

69camfrk 03-22-2019 7:15am

Sounds about par for the course!

04 commemorative 03-22-2019 8:18am

1 Attachment(s)
Me with my retired USMC LTCol. friend....F18 and 26 other aircraft pilot :USA:

ToolMaker 03-24-2019 8:13am

Without telling a lot of details, I made some pretty cool wave guide fixtures for the F22.
I always feel great when I can help out! :USA:

C3C7NIC 03-24-2019 8:23am

My friend is a pilot in OKC, they got to "park" some cool wings this weekend:

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...87&oe=5D153CFA

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...45&oe=5D10BA05

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c2&oe=5D0F13A0

69camfrk 03-24-2019 8:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3C7NIC (Post 1663272)
My friend is a pilot in OKC, they got to "park" some cool wings this weekend:

That is good stuff right there. I love the old warbirds. Our airshow here is in September, so all kinds of cool stuff will roll in. I've been very fortunate my whole adult life to be in the field of aviation. I've gotten to see and do a lot of stuff that I'm very grateful for.:seasix:

Bill 03-24-2019 9:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1662464)
push

the

red

button

Expend all remaining ordinance on Minneapolis.

JetMechZ16 04-18-2019 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1662488)
I built quite a few components for AF and NAVY flight simulators. I machined the frames plus the upper canopy frames and the lower canopy frame.

I also completely machined an ejection seat test fixture. I designed the fixturing and made the program.

On the forklift is the center aluminum section. The finished unit shown assembled is about 10' tall. The steel frame (blue) allows the aluminum center section to rock back and forth. The center section pivots on the top and bottom and rotated about 30* either way. The inner section had rotation.

I trained in the P3 Orion and E2C Hawkeye simulators when I was getting high power, low power, and taxi qualed. I was impressed with how well they simulated conditions. I will say I can't land an E2 on a carrier for shit.