The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Lewis 5 Splash Guards (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4534)

Munch 12-26-2010 11:09am

Lewis 5 Splash Guards
 
Anyone have any experience with these? I'm thinking about getting a set for my rear and maybe for the front if I like the rears. The L5 website doesn't really give much info on them other than they look like the C6Z guards and you don't have to modify them, also that they are fiberglass. I'm just going to assume they fit good but wondering how much they cover the inside of the wheel well and what finish they come in.

Thanks.

ChasC5 12-29-2010 9:05am

I got these from some guy in New York three years ago. Wish I remembered who ... but I took a chance and got his prototypes to worked with a little tweaking. I'm sure these have evolved into something more finished.

Maybe if you search the Corvette Forum, you could find it.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...hGuards001.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...hGuards002.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...hGuards003.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...hGuards004.jpg

Y2Kvert4me 12-29-2010 9:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasC5 (Post 55724)
I got these from some guy in New York three years ago. Wish I remembered who ...

Apsis ?

ChasC5 12-29-2010 9:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me (Post 55725)

That's it dude ... that's the one. :cheers:

He's sure come a long way from when I got mine. :yesnod:

Eagleeye 12-29-2010 3:25pm

$$$$

Tulsa Vette Guy 12-31-2010 12:09pm

I installed a set of L5 Motorsportson the frt. and rear, But the fit was not good at all.
While my Vette was at a Corvette shop in Tulsa having things like headers, rear black out and other things done I had them install the Lewis C5 splash guards, The shop told me that's the best they can do, Looks like crap, So, I am removing them and trying to sand them so I might get a better fit, No luck yet.
While in the shop, they painted them Yellow like the car, so using the Black silicone is out, maybe I will try the clear. Double side 3/M tape won't hold because the fit is so bad.

L5 Guard after painting and ready to install

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0...D720/ry%3D480/


Installed on frt.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0...D720/ry%3D480/


Note the fit, Tape will not hold in place

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0...D720/ry%3D480/

Rear Gap, Needs to be sanded or filled


http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0...D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0...D720/ry%3D480/

Now to find something to fill and hold them in place, Sanding them is not getting me anywhere fast.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0...D720/ry%3D480/

Y2Kvert4me 12-31-2010 3:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulsa Vette Guy (Post 56001)
Rear Gap, Needs to be sanded or filled.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0...D720/ry%3D480/

It appears to fit the quarter panel ok, Can't you fix this by loosening the rear fascia mounting to the quarter panel and bring the fascia outward a bit more?


:cheers:

Tulsa Vette Guy 12-31-2010 3:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me (Post 56009)
It appears to fit the quarter panel ok, Can't you fix this by loosening the rear fascia mounting to the quarter panel and bring the fascia outward a bit more?


:cheers:

Wells thank a for the suggestion, maybe it will work, I will try, or else get some filler that I can mix paint with and and stick them on where it will look right.:above:

WKMCD 12-31-2010 5:15pm

I have a set for my L5 flares. They seem to fit well when I was fitting the fenders. Maybe they were made for their flares...

Munch 12-31-2010 5:31pm

Their site says they have them for their flares or for the stock fenders. The ones above do look like maybe you could bring the rear fascia out some to close that gap. I'm not quite ready to get any so I'll wait and see what happens.

I should have bought a black car instead of yellow then I could just mold them in and paint it myself instead of having to take it somewhere and hope they match the paint to my standards. Oh well.

Tulsa Vette Guy 01-01-2011 1:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munch (Post 56013)
Their site says they have them for their flares or for the stock fenders. The ones above do look like maybe you could bring the rear fascia out some to close that gap. I'm not quite ready to get any so I'll wait and see what happens.

I should have bought a black car instead of yellow then I could just mold them in and paint it myself instead of having to take it somewhere and hope they match the paint to my standards. Oh well.

I have the paint code if you should need it.

Bucwheat 01-12-2011 3:33pm

Love the look,my next project.

Junkman 2011 01-13-2011 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucwheat (Post 73866)
Love the look,my next project.

:iagree: Looks great!

RetiredSFC 97 01-19-2011 12:01pm

way overpriced, but they look good!

Tulsa Vette Guy 04-06-2011 7:05pm

Munch, Have you done anything yet?? Let me know.:hi:

Munch 04-06-2011 7:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulsa Vette Guy (Post 228267)
Munch, Have you done anything yet?? Let me know.:hi:


I did order a set for the back and they are sitting on my front seat, I held them in place and they looked like they fit really good. I was going to paint them this weekend if I have time.
:cheers:

vafirevet 04-06-2011 7:24pm

Photos?
 
Munch: While your working on those things, how about taking pictures and sharing? I am interested in this project for my vert. It helps to see what somebody else has been thru.

Munch 04-06-2011 7:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafirevet (Post 228311)
Munch: While your working on those things, how about taking pictures and sharing? I am interested in this project for my vert. It helps to see what somebody else has been thru.

Will do. :thumbs:

Bucwheat 04-07-2011 1:28pm

I want these so badand with the 10 1/2 " rims on the rear they would do wonders to keep the fenders clean.

Tulsa Vette Guy 04-09-2011 4:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munch (Post 228282)
I did order a set for the back and they are sitting on my front seat, I held them in place and they looked like they fit really good. I was going to paint them this weekend if I have time.
:cheers:

Munch
Please post photo's Please, How did they fit up, What did you use to keep them in place, ect.
Thanks Tulsa Vette Guy

:hi:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35am.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2020 The Vette Barn