The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Is Sirius spying? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129925)

6spdC6 10-17-2022 7:29am

Is Sirius spying?

Got a question for you about quite possibly spying by Sirius.

This is whats going on. My wife bought a new Jeep about 18 months ago and as part of the deal it has Car fax on it. It comes in by Email with a lot of info on it once a month. It shows the approximate mileage on the car.

My question is it always shows the approximate millage and it is close, very close to what we have driven. Too close for a good guess IMHO. Sometimes within 20 miles!

We do not have GPS on this vechicle and it has not been to the dealer in over 7 months but the mileage they show is close. The only thing that might give a millage report is Sirius. Is this possible?

Does Sirius keep track of your driving miles?

Sea Six 10-17-2022 7:33am

Oil change places report your mileage to CARFAX and other places I believe

Vandelay Industries 10-17-2022 7:37am

Russians :willy:

MikeB 10-17-2022 7:39am

Do you have a program similar to OnStar by any chance, whatever FCIs program would be?

My Edge ST has Ford App associated with it, very similar to OnStar.
Ford knows how many miles my car has. How much gas it has. Remote programs available, what the OS system version is,
yada yada yada. One of the many reasons why the battery is only guaranteed for 36 months.

Big brother is watching.

6spdC6 10-17-2022 7:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 2001153)
Oil change places report your mileage to CARFAX and other places I believe

Nope it only gets synthetic oil changed once a year (under 8,000 miles) at the dealers the same time it comes in for state inspection. Due to health conditions I no longer crawl under vechicles.

6spdC6 10-17-2022 7:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Touringmike (Post 2001155)
Do you have a program similar to OnStar by any chance, whatever FCIs program would be?

My Edge ST has Ford App associated with it, very similar to OnStar.
Ford knows how many miles my car has. How much gas it has. Remote programs available, what the OS system version is,
yada yada yada. One of the many reasons why the battery is only guaranteed for 36 months.

Big brother is watching.

Nope, no on star type stuff, no GPS no easy pass stuff. That why I asked the spying question. Sirius is the only thing I know of that communicates with the car.

GTOguy 10-17-2022 7:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 (Post 2001152)
Got a question for you about quite possibly spying by Sirius.

This is whats going on. My wife bought a new Jeep about 18 months ago and as part of the deal it has Car fax on it. It comes in by Email with a lot of info on it once a month. It shows the approximate mileage on the car.

My question is it always shows the approximate millage and it is close, very close to what we have driven. Too close for a good guess IMHO. Sometimes within 20 miles!

We do not have GPS on this vechicle and it has not been to the dealer in over 7 months but the mileage they show is close. The only thing that might give a millage report is Sirius. Is this possible?

millage
noun
millage is a rate (as of taxation) expressed in mills per dollar. :seasix:

Rob 10-17-2022 8:00am

Yes, they are

https://www.thedrive.com/news/sirius...ocate-your-car

6spdC6 10-17-2022 8:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 2001164)

Interesting but we only have the cheap basic service. But it is possible!:yesnod:

Only those with Sirius XM Connected Vehicle Services like InTouch or UConnect Access enabled can do this
. These are beefed up connected-car services Sirius XM offers that are less like a simple radio service and more like an OnStar suite, to name-check one of its rivals here. Sirius XM

Thanks Rob and others for answering.

Rob 10-17-2022 8:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 (Post 2001165)
Interesting but we only have the cheap basic service. But it is possible!:yesnod:

Only those with Sirius XM Connected Vehicle Services like InTouch or UConnect Access enabled can do this
. These are beefed up connected-car services Sirius XM offers that are less like a simple radio service and more like an OnStar suite, to name-check one of its rivals here. Sirius XM

Thanks Rob and others for answering.

One other thing to consider, if you have some sort of "Sirius" app on your phone that allows you to listen there, it may be tracking your movement that way as well.

Big bob 10-17-2022 8:14am

You pay for your own tracking spy device every month and volunteer free access why would another view bother you. :rofl:

Frankie the Fink 10-17-2022 8:25am

Trump's fault obviously..

6spdC6 10-17-2022 8:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 2001168)
One other thing to consider, if you have some sort of "Sirius" app on your phone that allows you to listen there, it may be tracking your movement that way as well.

I doubt it at 77 YO we do not play around much with that app stuff. I for one do not have a cell phone. I subscribe to as much of the Luddite culture as I can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big bob (Post 2001169)
You pay for your own tracking spy device every month and volunteer free access why would another view bother you. :rofl:

I grew up in a free country far from what we have today. Just curious how things work.

Big bob 10-17-2022 8:48am

I am with you on that. But it is sad now just look around most have their nose glued to their phone. And most don't even talk anymore just text and post no human interaction so easily led around. :sadangel:

Mike Mercury 10-17-2022 9:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries (Post 2001154)
Russians :willy:

also:

Bidenflation

Yadkin 10-17-2022 9:59am

I think that all new cars are communicating to the manufacturer on location, and various other sensor data.

My 2018 Porsche has an app where I can locate it. There are other features available for other models that I don't have.

My base Ford Ranger, very few options but I have Sync 1, whatever that is, and that has a more sophisticated app. That tells me location, amount of fuel, tire pressure, estimated next oil change. I can also start the car and unlock it.

Rob 10-17-2022 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big bob (Post 2001180)
I am with you on that. But it is sad now just look around most have their nose glued to their phone. And most don't even talk anymore just text and post no human interaction so easily led around. :sadangel:

I keep telling people that we are all ending up living the movie Wall-E

VITE1 10-17-2022 10:53am

I read this out loud and Alex said "Yes they do but I don't"!

Alexa called her a "Lying Bitch" and then reminded me I was on the internet too long and that the FBI hates that.

6spdC6 10-17-2022 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 2001202)
I think that all new cars are communicating to the manufacturer on location, and various other sensor data.

My 2018 Porsche has an app where I can locate it. There are other features available for other models that I don't have.

My base Ford Ranger, very few options but I have Sync 1, whatever that is, and that has a more sophisticated app. That tells me location, amount of fuel, tire pressure, estimated next oil change. I can also start the car and unlock it.

We have that, but as far as I know no phone type hook up activated. My wife loves it in the winter she starts the car lets it warm up a bit, that also includes heated seat and wheel. But its all done from the Fob!

Thanks

dvarapala 10-17-2022 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 (Post 2001152)

Sirius is a one-way technology - there is no return path from the Sirius receiver unit back up to the satellites. I highly doubt it is Sirius that is selling you out.

Most likely your vehicle has a built-in cellular telematics unit that is uploading this data. So blame Stellantis, not Sirius. :yesnod: