The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   My LinkedIn Video - feedback? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120212)

SnikPlosskin 09-08-2019 3:13pm

My LinkedIn Video - feedback?

On LinkedIn there is a perfect spot for a video - under your description (which everyone reads) there is a place for two pieces of media. The first one should be a video that tells people what problems you solve and for whom you solve them.

Because of it's placement, people will watch it. Most of them are the usual "I'm Joe Blowhard and I blah, blah, blah, synergy, blah, solutions, blah.."

OOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOO! Not me. I can't do it. Here's what I made instead.

Y2Kvert4me 09-08-2019 3:24pm

Beginning was OK, but the last 14 minutes were amazing! :Entropy:

SnikPlosskin 09-08-2019 3:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me (Post 1683018)
Beginning was OK, but the last 14 minutes were amazing! :Entropy:

That was the hardest part to write. Plus the lighting needed to be perfect.

fixededed.

SnikPlosskin 09-08-2019 3:30pm

I want to hear people's first gut reactions when they see it.

Imagine yourself frustrated with sales and marketing. You are spending money and getting nothing or not enough. You are looking at different possible partners. Everybody has a talking head video.

BTW - this goes with my profile https://linkedin.com/in/petemonfre (it doesn't stand alone) - so they have plenty of context.

MrPeabody 09-08-2019 3:47pm

Speaking as someone old enough to have watched those films in grade school, I liked it. I can appreciate the work involved in matching the words to the lips moving in the film clips. Looks like you had to alter the speeds on some of them, too. Impressive.

Most important thing is if I was in the market for your services, I would have to meet the guy who made this.:seasix:

SnikPlosskin 09-08-2019 5:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1683021)
Speaking as someone old enough to have watched those films in grade school, I liked it. I can appreciate the work involved in matching the words to the lips moving in the film clips. Looks like you had to alter the speeds on some of them, too. Impressive.

Most important thing is if I was in the market for your services, I would have to meet the guy who made this.:seasix:

Great feedback thanks. It was a bit of work. The part where the news guys pauses because the clip right before has leering teens was created by editing. He never pauses like that in the footage. I created a pause by taking a tiny slice where he is stone faced and duplicating it over and over again.

I think that’s a funny part. Also the dumb kid. And WTF with the guy with the towel? When I found that clip, I had to use it!

MOAR please

JRD77VET 09-08-2019 6:41pm

I like it, shows creativity plus humor with the eating crayons reference. :seasix:

Bill 09-08-2019 7:21pm

I laughed, I cried.....I learned how to avoid VD. All around great video.

10/10 Would watch again.

markids77 09-08-2019 8:33pm

Younger Boomers won't understand the references. No Millenials will twig to the humor.
Many of those without Military service will not understand where you are coming from. I get it... but I am too old to be your target audience.

SnikPlosskin 09-08-2019 10:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1683030)
Younger Boomers won't understand the references. No Millenials will twig to the humor.
Many of those without Military service will not understand where you are coming from. I get it... but I am too old to be your target audience.

It’s interesting. In CFOT, they hate it. But I didn’t give them a link to the profile or any context.

I’m pushing boundaries intentionally. I’m building some fun into my brand to offset people thinking I’m too wonky or heavy.

We shall see. Thank for brutal truth. I’m listening. :barnbabe:

I’ll have an updated version tomorrow.

Lakeside49 09-08-2019 11:09pm

Creative but potentially polarizing. I was a recruiter/Interviewer-Assessor at Ford for the past 20 years yrs. (Marketing, Sales & Service) until my recent retirement. Perhaps a few tweaks, “eating crayons” notwithstanding. It may not be taken seriously unless you are applying for a creative marketing media or training media position by an HR person who thinks she can sell the 30-40 something hiring manager on giving you an interview who may not (or, may) relate with olden-dayze.

Black94lt1 09-09-2019 2:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1683025)
I like it, shows creativity plus humor with the eating crayons reference. :seasix:

Agreed, humor is a tough thing though as you never know how others will take it

SnikPlosskin 09-09-2019 7:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakeside49 (Post 1683032)
Creative but potentially polarizing. I was a recruiter/Interviewer-Assessor at Ford for the past 20 years yrs. (Marketing, Sales & Service) until my recent retirement. Perhaps a few tweaks, “eating crayons” notwithstanding. It may not be taken seriously unless you are applying for a creative marketing media or training media position by an HR person who thinks she can sell the 30-40 something hiring manager on giving you an interview who may not (or, may) relate with olden-dayze.

I don’t deal with HR people. I’m self employed and work with CEOs, owners, presidents. Leadership of companies.

But thanks for the input!

Broken Wind 09-09-2019 5:37pm

Not my cup of tea, but I’m not going to be an asshole about it like that grizzledvette prick at the other place. That guy came out of the closet as a magnum douche. Surprised me a little.

MrPeabody 09-09-2019 5:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Wind (Post 1683049)
Not my cup of tea, but I’m not going to be an asshole about it like that grizzledvette prick at the other place. That guy came out of the closet as a magnum douche. Surprised me a little.

Surprised me, too. I've met him before, at a car show about ten years ago. Seemed like a nice guy, apparently a very successful businessman. (high-end car detailing) Sold his business, now retired.

Being successful at car detailing doesn't mean your shit doesn't stink.

SnikPlosskin 09-09-2019 7:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1683051)
Surprised me, too. I've met him before, at a car show about ten years ago. Seemed like a nice guy, apparently a very successful businessman. (high-end car detailing) Sold his business, now retired.

Being successful at car detailing doesn't mean your shit doesn't stink.

Meat head business. I get paid for thinking. I don’t clean ****ing ash trays.

People don’t know what they don’t know. Most people so far dig it and get the joke. Anytime you do something different people resist. It’s just not what they are used to seeing - and that’s the power of being different.

That video will get shared. Me talking won’t. Honestly if someone is so turned off by the video to overlook my reputation and experience, I don’t want to work them anyway.

I’m dedicated to working with people who push limits. Who have a sense of humor and don’t take themselves too seriously. Who are brave enough to take strategic risks.

I’m going to post it in a large private group of marketers. Let’s see what they say.

MrPeabody 09-09-2019 8:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1683057)
Meat head business. I get paid for thinking. I don’t clean ****ing ash trays.

People don’t know what they don’t know. Most people so far dig it and get the joke. Anytime you do something different people resist. It’s just not what they are used to seeing - and that’s the power of being different.

That video will get shared. Me talking won’t. Honestly if someone is so turned off by the video to overlook my reputation and experience, I don’t want to work them anyway.

I’m dedicated to working with people who push limits. Who have a sense of humor and don’t take themselves too seriously. Who are brave enough to take strategic risks.

I’m going to post it in a large private group of marketers. Let’s see what they say.

His business was located in Los Altos in Silicon Valley. He worked on a lot of high end cars, and I'm sure had a clientele that included lots of very successful people. I rubbed elbows with those people also when I was working in the printing business there and also in some community service organizations. I knew a few billionaires in the 80s. But I didn't lose sight of the fact that I was not one of them. I was the guy printing their letterhead and business cards or working with them organizing a 10K run to raise money for a children's hospital. I shared a few intersections with them, but wasn't travelling in the same lane.

Keep working outside the box. I think you are appealing to a clientele that wants to do just that. The rest of the pack is not where it's at. Never has been.:seasix: