The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   GWiz office/dorm for the next 5 months... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123312)

Datawiz 08-08-2020 5:42pm

GWiz office/dorm for the next 5 months...

1 Attachment(s)
Wife found these 2 commercial grade desks that we picked up today, both for $100. GWiz has owned 10 monitors, but never connected more than 8 of them...now she has. Plenty of room for a printer and plenty of room to spread out for studying.

We're pretty pleased with this arrangement.

snide 08-08-2020 5:56pm

You people have problems. :funnier::funnier::funnier:

Datawiz 08-08-2020 5:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1793824)
You people have problems. :funnier::funnier::funnier:

1st world problems. :leaving:

MrPeabody 08-08-2020 6:19pm

How many monitors will she need to eliminate your job?

Datawiz 08-08-2020 6:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1793832)
How many monitors will she need to eliminate your job?

A google.

LisaJohn 08-08-2020 6:51pm

Oh wow! I can’t even connect a printer to my iPad. Impressive! How long did it take to set that up?

Datawiz 08-08-2020 7:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 1793842)
Oh wow! I can’t even connect a printer to my iPad. Impressive! How long did it take to set that up?

We picked up the desks this morning. Only paid $100 for both. Everything else...and MORE not shown in the picture were done today. She's got her fridge and laser printer now in place. The command center is almost complete. :yesnod:

Nox 08-08-2020 7:04pm

What exactly do you do with all those monitors? I know you use multiple monitors as well, and have for a long time, but what exactly is the function of all those monitors? And it must suck as as you get older and need reading glasses as some of those monitors look to be too far away for reading glasses to focus properly on.

Datawiz 08-08-2020 7:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nox (Post 1793846)
What exactly do you do with all those monitors? I know you use multiple monitors as well, and have for a long time, but what exactly is the function of all those monitors? And it must suck as as you get older and need reading glasses as some of those monitors look to be too far away for reading glasses to focus properly on.

As I am old, and need reading glasses, and have 18 monitors....the purpose of this setup is to spread things out. I run a virtual machine on my computer that takes up the 6 monitors front and center. That VM has SQL Server, Postman, Delphi programming language, Excel, Windows folders, and text editors running at all times. Those alone get spread between those six monitors.

Additionally, I have a remote control session to my notebook on 1 monitor, and I have email (3 clients spread across 2 monitors), I have family chat on Kakao on others....I can go on and on, but at the end of the day, the point of doing this is you never have to hunt for the active window. With this setup, you just turn your head. You place everything where you know it is and it's there. Ping from a child? Just look up. Email from a client...just look left.

I NEVER have to hunt. It's ALWAYS there. Multiply those actions times 100 or more and you'll understand why I do what I do. I use all 18 monitors all day, every day. The time savings alone pay for the setup. GWiz subscribes to this lifestyle.

snide 08-08-2020 7:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 1793842)

Can't believe those assholes at Apple didn't put a printer port on the iPad.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ronics-36F.jpg
Assholes. :shots:
Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1793843)
We picked up the desks this morning. Only paid $100 for both. Everything else...and MORE not shown in the picture were done today. She's got her fridge and laser printer now in place. The command center is almost complete. :yesnod:

What type of beer does she keep in her fridge? Hopefully not the same piss water you drink... :datawiz:

Datawiz 08-08-2020 7:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1793851)
What type of beer does she keep in her fridge? Hopefully not the same piss water you drink... :datawiz:

GWiz doesn't drink.

snide 08-08-2020 7:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1793852)
GWiz doesn't drink.

:seasix::seasix:

:cheers:

Steve_R 08-08-2020 7:17pm

What is she studying that takes 10 monitors?

LisaJohn 08-08-2020 7:17pm

I know! It’s some sort of wireless set up or something.

snide 08-08-2020 7:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1793855)

Boys.

Datawiz 08-08-2020 7:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1793855)

She'll finish her degree this semester in Mechanical Engineering from Georgia Tech with a minimum of a 3.75 GPA. With 4 classes left, she might sneak out a 3.8. Despite the engineering degree, she's going down the rabbit hole of software engineering...just like dad....just like "dad...I don't want to do what you do..." :rofl:

When you go down this multi-monitor worm hole, you will understand how important it is. For programmers, it's huge. The time savings I alone get by having 18 monitors might account for 1-2 hours a day in an 18 hour day. Again, the value of that time vs. the cost of the technology is a no brainer.

LisaJohn 08-08-2020 7:31pm

I have a mechanical engineer too.

snide 08-08-2020 7:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1793860)
She'll finish her degree this semester in Mechanical Engineering from Georgia Tech with a minimum of a 3.75 GPA. With 4 classes left, she might sneak out a 3.8. Despite the engineering degree, she's going down the rabbit hole of software engineering...just like dad....just like "dad...I don't want to do what you do..." :rofl:

When you go down this multi-monitor worm hole, you will understand how important it is. For programmers, it's huge. The time savings I alone get by having 18 monitors might account for 1-2 hours a day in an 18 hour day. Again, the value of that time vs. the cost of the technology is a no brainer.

I've been using dual monitors for years. Has always helped with what I do. Dunno if multiple monitors would work for me. Then again, I don't run applications full screen. :shrug:

JRD77VET 08-08-2020 7:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1793860)
........... For programmers, it's huge. ............

I used two for programming milling machines and lathes. One for the DXF print and the other for the actual programming software.

You are completely right with the simple turn of the head for what you want.

DAB 08-08-2020 9:08pm

Needs more posters. :slap::leaving:

Grey Ghost 08-08-2020 9:39pm

Quote:

Can't believe those assholes at Apple didn't put a printer port on the iPad.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ronics-36F.jpg
Assholes. :shots:

Centronics. What an upgrade from serial!

Our mainframe/COBOL programmers back in the '80s/'90s wanted color monitors to the IBM mainframe. Talk about crazy expensive! I think several thousands of $ back then. Along that time is when the 286 CPU came out. We could buy a 286 PC with an emulator card for far less. The graphic card was EGA/EGA monitor. There was a hot-key to hop between the mainframe and the PC side of things. Alt-Esc. With a mainframe you were only sending screen shots basically anyway. I know some people that dealt with propagating inventory to eCommerce sites found two or more monitors helpful.

snide 08-08-2020 9:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1793903)
Centronics. What an upgrade from serial!

Our mainframe/COBOL programmers back in the '80s/'90s wanted color monitors to the IBM mainframe. Talk about crazy expensive! I think several thousands of $ back then. Along that time is when the 286 CPU came out. We could buy a 286 PC with an emulator card for far less. The graphic card was EGA/EGA monitor. There was a hot-key to hop between the mainframe and the PC side of things. Alt-Esc. With a mainframe you were only sending screen shots basically anyway. I know some people that dealt with propagating inventory to eCommerce sites found two or more monitors helpful.

Back in the day, we were a VAR for DataPoint. Hardware was crazy expensive. When PCs hit the ground, we were able to compile our code on that platform and run. As PC hardware prices came down, I had two PCs on my desk, on an ARC network. I would write code on one PC and test on the other. Because network. :funnier:

When monitors became cheap, and PCs could support two monitors, I went that route.

Now, in my home office, I have a 27" monitor attached to my MacBookPro. I have several apps/windows open, mostly overlapped, so I can access them quickly. My workstation doesn't support more than 2 external monitors, so I don't believe I need a second one.

Grey Ghost 08-08-2020 10:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1793906)
Back in the day, we were a VAR for DataPoint. Hardware was crazy expensive. When PCs hit the ground, we were able to compile our code on that platform and run. As PC hardware prices came down, I had two PCs on my desk, on an ARC network. I would write code on one PC and test on the other. Because network. :funnier:

When monitors became cheap, and PCs could support two monitors, I went that route.

Now, in my home office, I have a 27" monitor attached to my MacBookPro. I have several apps/windows open, mostly overlapped, so I can access them quickly. My workstation doesn't support more than 2 external monitors, so I don't believe I need a second one.

Why MAC? Although my first was a Apple 2 GS.

snide 08-09-2020 6:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1793910)
Why MAC? Although my first was a Apple 2 GS.

A few years ago, I was at a client site, along with my trusty Windows laptop. The consulting firm I was working with changed some settings on their database which made it impossible for me to log in and get my work done. That consulting firm would not provide any support or assistance, as I was a contractor, so I wasn't able to my work. Since I don't get paid to screw around, at lunch I went to the Apple store, which was a mile away. Walked up to one of their MacBookPros, typed in the URL for the database and was able to log in. Bought it right then and there, took it back to the client site, and was able to get back to work. Been using Macs ever since.

One of my colleagues on that project, another contractor, went to the Apple store the next day and bought a MacBook and started to use that for work too.

Rodnok1 08-09-2020 7:11am

Quote:

Wish somebody would have gave me cat piss for a first drink.. I wouldn't drink either. :slap:

GentleBen 08-09-2020 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1793850)
As I am old.

Hell, you won't even be 52 until tomorrow!:seasix:

Nox 08-09-2020 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1793850)
As I am old, and need reading glasses, and have 18 monitors....the purpose of this setup is to spread things out. I run a virtual machine on my computer that takes up the 6 monitors front and center. That VM has SQL Server, Postman, Delphi programming language, Excel, Windows folders, and text editors running at all times. Those alone get spread between those six monitors.

Additionally, I have a remote control session to my notebook on 1 monitor, and I have email (3 clients spread across 2 monitors), I have family chat on Kakao on others....I can go on and on, but at the end of the day, the point of doing this is you never have to hunt for the active window. With this setup, you just turn your head. You place everything where you know it is and it's there. Ping from a child? Just look up. Email from a client...just look left.

I NEVER have to hunt. It's ALWAYS there. Multiply those actions times 100 or more and you'll understand why I do what I do. I use all 18 monitors all day, every day. The time savings alone pay for the setup. GWiz subscribes to this lifestyle.

The sweet spot for me is just two screens. My main screen is an ultra-wide screen. I can open multiple windows on my main screen which usually consists of the main document I am working on and a comparative document beside it. The second screen is for Netflix, Youtube or whatever entertainment I am watching while I get my work done. If I had as many screens as you, I’d actually lose productivity from the distractions. The third undocumented screen is my cellphone where I prefer to get my texts and even my emails.

Iron Chef 08-09-2020 11:02am

Can you launch anything with that shit?

Datawiz 08-09-2020 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 1793979)
Can you launch anything with that shit?

Well for a moment, we couldn't even log in. Microsoft in it's infinite wisdom did an update last night rendering the mouse and keyboard useless. After much trial and error, we were able to force the computer into a system restore and now it works again. Thanks MSFT...not!

I think the bigger issue is the fact that the computer has been in storage since March. Previous restore point available was March 10th, but seriously Microsoft? You render a computer useless with an update? What would the average Joe do? Go buy another computer (with another OS that you get paid for)?

OK...now back to the previous launch. :lol:

Iron Chef 08-09-2020 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1793984)

Y'all aren't right. :rofl:

snide 08-09-2020 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1793984)
Well for a moment, we couldn't even log in. Microsoft in it's infinite wisdom did an update last night rendering the mouse and keyboard useless. After much trial and error, we were able to force the computer into a system restore and now it works again. Thanks MSFT...not!

I think the bigger issue is the fact that the computer has been in storage since March. Previous restore point available was March 10th, but seriously Microsoft? You render a computer useless with an update? What would the average Joe do? Go buy another computer (with another OS that you get paid for)?

You still use Windows? How cute.

Datawiz 08-09-2020 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1794022)
You still use Windows? How cute.

At least it's steady work. :leaving: