The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Colonoscopy time... age 51... anyone have experience with Cologuard alternative? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115923)

Sea Six 05-03-2018 11:17am

Colonoscopy time... age 51... anyone have experience with Cologuard alternative?

My Dr said I can get the traditional $2500 colonoscopy, or I can spring for $549 for the "poop in a box and mail it" Cologuard.

He says if the Cologuard comes back with a positive, I hafta do the $2500.

However there is no history of colon cancer in my family, and he says it's a legit product.

Anyone with experience with Cologuard?

:waiting:

Iron Chef 05-03-2018 11:42am

No experience with Cologuard, but I had the procedure done and highly recommend you do the same. During the exam, if they find any polyps (somewhat common) they can remove them immediately before they can potentially develop into something more serious.

Drug store kits are fine if you want to whiten your teeth or see if you're pregnant. This is a lot more important, and in my opinion, family history isn't a good enough reason to leave things to chance.

Shrike6 05-03-2018 12:09pm

I did Cologuard. EZ. Has high accuracy, no prep.

mrvette 05-03-2018 12:55pm

Take a stool softener......:issues::dance:

marrepka 05-03-2018 1:01pm

Cologaurd all the way. It's extra fun dropping the package off at your local UPS store knowing what you're asking them to handle for you. :dance:

Mike Mercury 05-03-2018 1:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 1626649)
During the exam, if they find any polyps (somewhat common) they can remove them immediately before they can potentially develop into something more serious.

http://www.tim-yvonne.com/gif/bell1.gif

Last time i had one... 5 polyps were removed. The test was done strictly due to my age, I had no symptoms.

yes, have the full test.

Norm 05-03-2018 1:54pm

At 50, full procedure, negative results.
At 60, full procedure, polyps removed.
At 70, full procedure, negative results.

Doc says one more at 75, last one.

Also said Cologuard not recommended if polyps were found previously.

Cybercowboy 05-03-2018 2:12pm

I did the Cologuard thing earlier this year. It's not cheap but your insurance may cover it. At any rate I passed with flying colors. The doctor said it's only "good" for a couple years versus 10 years for the scope.

NCC-1701 05-03-2018 2:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1626671)
I did the Cologuard thing earlier this year. It's not cheap but your insurance may cover it. At any rate I passed with flying colors. The doctor said it's only "good" for a couple years versus 10 years for the scope.

I would do the colonoscopy don't skimp on your health.:seasix:

VITE1 05-03-2018 2:25pm

I've had 2 at 50 and 60. they found nothing. Before I went for the second I asked my Doctor about the Cologuard. He said it's good but you need to take it more often.

Having had two friends die and several others go through painful treatment I'm not taking any chances and went with the colonoscopy.

Cybercowboy 05-03-2018 2:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC-1701 (Post 1626674)
I would do the colonoscopy don't skimp on your health.:seasix:

Here's the deal. I have zero family history of colon cancer, or anything even vaguely related. My doctor didn't even ask me if I wanted one when I turned 50. He was going to wait until I was 60 for my first one, but I asked about doing the Cologuard now just in case. It's a lot different than many people think, you're not sending them a little speck of poop.

99 pewtercoupe 05-03-2018 2:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1626675)
I've had 2 at 50 and 60. they found nothing. Before I went for the second I asked my Doctor about the Cologuard. He said it's good but you need to take it more often.

Having had two friends die and several others go through painful treatment I'm not taking any chances and went with the colonoscopy.

Same here, had one at 50 and then again at 60. No polyps either time
My wife however is on the three year plan since her father and two uncles died of colon cancer

PortDawg 05-03-2018 2:53pm

I'm on the "every 5 years" plan for the Colonoscopy. Polyps and Gastropareisis make it necessary. I also get to have regular Endoscopies every so often.

FML

mrvette 05-03-2018 3:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PortDawg (Post 1626681)
I'm on the "every 5 years" plan for the Colonoscopy. Polyps and Gastropareisis make it necessary. I also get to have regular Endoscopies every so often.

FML

I like scoping the ends like your avatar's......

:dance:

Mike Mercury 05-03-2018 3:28pm

the deal with polyp detection (without a colonoscopy)... is to discover them via a mail-in test after they they deteriorate to the point of bleeding.

Do you want to wait for it to progress to that point (where they bleed) to find out you might have something more serious to get looked into? By then... it may be a lot more of intensive procedure than a simple colonoscopy.

https://pics.me.me/having-a-colonosc...n-26698739.png

Cybercowboy 05-03-2018 4:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1626683)
the deal with polyp detection (without a colonoscopy)... is to discover them via a mail-in test after they they deteriorate to the point of bleeding.

Do you want to wait for it to progress to that point (where they bleed) to find out you might have something more serious to get looked into? By then... it may be a lot more of intensive procedure than a simple colonoscopy.

https://pics.me.me/having-a-colonosc...n-26698739.png

If they were just looking for blood in the stool, this test wouldn't cost $600 and require the samples be taken the way they are. They are testing for a lot more than just some blood.

Shrike6 05-03-2018 4:27pm

As I have pointed out in another thread. They are not looking for blood. You do not have to have bleeding polyps or anything else. The test is a dna test on cells of the gut lining, which are normally and constantly shed. The dna test looks for certain markers specific to colon cancer. This is highly specific, and provides early detection. Without the need for prep, anesthesia, an invasive procedure, with attendant risks.
You can ALWAYS elect to follow up with a standard colonoscopy. But, for routine testing, it’s my choice.

SubZero 05-03-2018 5:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 1626649)

Drug store kits are fine if you want to whiten your teeth or see if you're pregnant.

I don't even want to know how you used Cologuard to whiten your teeth. :ack:

Mike Mercury 05-03-2018 5:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1626686)
If they were just looking for blood in the stool, this test wouldn't cost $600 and require the samples be taken the way they are. They are testing for a lot more than just some blood.

you go right ahead and put your faith in a screen type test. :thumbs:

m and t's77 05-03-2018 6:47pm

If its your first time testing I would go do it proper.After that if your clean then go shit in a box after ten years have past.
At 51 aren't you a year behind your testing anyways?:slap: