The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Staffing finally took notice.... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114685)

Datawiz 01-22-2018 6:57pm

Staffing finally took notice....

The second round of go live on this killer project is done, and once again I'm 100% in the clear on data quality. I'll still be on this project until the end of March, but my "new" manager just fielded a call today from staffing. He's been on this project with me for the past several months, and then became my manager, and my old manager is now his boss, but staffing was like "WTF?!?" My budget is 140 hours a month. I'm on track for 380 hours in January now, and they have me in the red zone through February and March. :lol: I thought 300 in December was a lot.

Even though he's new, I do believe he has my best interest in mind. Staffing, still is freaking out over 380 hours in a 140 hour budget month. I just have my eyes on the prize. From end of Day on February 2nd, I won't check and email or look at my phone until Monday, February 19th. I'll be in Vegas for 11 of those days.

DAB 01-22-2018 7:01pm

:faint:

i'll wave at you as you pass overhead. :kimblair:

Jeff '79 01-22-2018 7:03pm

Jeez ! You're too old for this crap:shots:

Kerrmudgeon 01-22-2018 7:06pm

You're making the others look bad......watch out. :bilmem:

Datawiz 01-22-2018 7:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1609736)

Seriously. I'm actually surprising myself that I still have it in me at 49 to work these hours.

For Kermie, I've always made others look bad. Been a rainmaker every place I've been in my life...even graveyard shift at 7-Eleven. :yesnod:

OddBall 01-22-2018 7:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1609736)

:iagree:

snide 01-22-2018 7:34pm

One busy mofo!

mrvette 01-22-2018 7:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1609750)
One busy mofo!

Just watch your HEALTH, damnit!!! IF I recall, you commented on your weight, so quit EATING........I know it passes time of day in a basic sedentary job...but.......eat ExLax instead.....

:issues::dance::seasix:

Datawiz 01-22-2018 7:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1609754)
Just watch your HEALTH, damnit!!! IF I recall, you commented on your weight, so quit EATING........I know it passes time of day in a basic sedentary job...but.......eat ExLax instead.....

:issues::dance::seasix:

Gene, I run 3 miles a day, and play racquetball 3 days a week for a total of 7-8 hours. Trust me, it's not the food. :lol::datawiz:

I've put on a "couple" pounds over the holidays, but the stress of this project has certainly taken my beer intake to a "slight bit" higher level. Hell, I might drop dead from working, but I'll go down swinging.

When this is finally in my rear view mirror, and i'm back to a normal work week, everything should settle down...or not. I'm now the official CPQ Data Architect expert, and I'll have these complex projects dumped on me from here on out.

Shit, as long as the raise in the annual review about to take place is commensurate with the effort, then it's all good. There is no stress when you're making MASSIVE cash, as opposed to really good cash.

Thunder22 01-22-2018 9:10pm

You manager sucks by letting you go double the budget, and probably just cost the company a lot of money. Who the hell does resource planning for you guys? Either the customer pays and you've pissed them off, or the company eats it and they're pissed off.

Neither is a good situation.

Datawiz 01-23-2018 6:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1609771)
You manager sucks by letting you go double the budget, and probably just cost the company a lot of money. Who the hell does resource planning for you guys? Either the customer pays and you've pissed them off, or the company eats it and they're pissed off.

Neither is a good situation.

You're right, nobody wins, but we had to cross the finish line and satisfy the client. The contract was fixed price, and the guy who sold it completely missed the boat on estimating data architect time. In fact, the contract was written on the parent company's paper, not my division's. His original estimate was for me only being HALF time to complete this project, or 500 hours. Day 1, hour 1, when I was onsite with the client I raised a major red flag and said this was 2 full time data architects....it fell on deaf ears. Well, guess what, my forecast hours for the completion of this project are now at 2,091....do the math. ;)

Fortunately for our division, the parent company has many many dealings with the client in both directions, so there is much more at stake for sure. Parent company is ensuring that the division is made whole on the numbers, thus I get credit for every hour worked. They have been live for a week now, so I'm out of the woods. I guarantee this won't happen to this magnitude again, as my voice will carry a whole lot more credibility the next time I call out a project.

Mike Mercury 01-23-2018 9:57am

Quote:

Seriously. I'm actually surprising myself that I still have it in me at 49 to work these hours.
49?

rookie.

https://thechive.files.wordpress.com...rip=info&w=600

DAB 01-23-2018 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1609815)
You're right, nobody wins, but we had to cross the finish line and satisfy the client. The contract was fixed price, and the guy who sold it completely missed the boat on estimating data architect time. In fact, the contract was written on the parent company's paper, not my division's. His original estimate was for me only being HALF time to complete this project, or 500 hours. Day 1, hour 1, when I was onsite with the client I raised a major red flag and said this was 2 full time data architects....it fell on deaf ears. Well, guess what, my forecast hours for the completion of this project are now at 2,091....do the math. ;)

Fortunately for our division, the parent company has many many dealings with the client in both directions, so there is much more at stake for sure. Parent company is ensuring that the division is made whole on the numbers, thus I get credit for every hour worked. They have been live for a week now, so I'm out of the woods. I guarantee this won't happen to this magnitude again, as my voice will carry a whole lot more credibility the next time I call out a project.

i worked for a company long ago, and the sales guys would sell a job for a fixed fee, they'd get a % of that fee as part of their compensation, and i'd get stuck doing the actual work until it was done correctly. no tie back to the job being profitable. and when I pointed out that they underbid it....well, suck it up and work some unpaid time in the evenings and weekends to get things done.

same idea here. no accounting for what the "expert" says it will take to get done, and no incentive to bring it in on time and under budget.

you get what you reward. sales guy gets rewarded for making a sale. washes his hands of it, collects his commission, not his problem anymore.

Jobaka 01-23-2018 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1609732)
From end of Day on February 2nd, I won't check and email or look at my phone until Monday, February 19th.

I'm not buying it. Your head would explode.

snide 01-23-2018 11:27am

Craig,
Do you need another data architect? :bigears:

GentleBen 01-23-2018 12:16pm

Are you a "salaried" employee or one who is paid by the hour worked?

Datawiz 01-23-2018 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GentleBen (Post 1609861)
Are you a "salaried" employee or one who is paid by the hour worked?

Salary plus bonus. Bonus sweeteners run out at 110% of budget. I finished 2017 at 178% of budget.

snide 01-23-2018 1:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1609863)
Salary plus bonus. Bonus sweeteners run out at 110% of budget. I finished 2017 at 178% of budget.

Slow the F down. You're making the rest of us look bad. :toetap:

Datawiz 01-23-2018 2:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobaka (Post 1609854)

Let me rephrase...work phone and email. :lol:

SteelCityBlue 01-23-2018 3:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobaka (Post 1609854)

How many hours a day is that roughly?