The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Those that have owned a C5 and a C6 (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121643)

carlton_fritz 02-13-2020 11:28am

Those that have owned a C5 and a C6

Looking for some input. In about 3-6 months I will be looking for an under $25K car. I already have a 4 door to drive and am looking at either a nice C5 or early C6. How do they compare on long trips? Comfort, vision, sheer pleasure of driving... Tires and insurance is cheaper on the C5, but not a crazy amount to be a big influence. :shots:

VatorMan 02-13-2020 11:35am

Since both are a little long in the tooth, you need to be able to work on them yourself to keep cost down. C5 electronic parts are getting rare-so for some things you will pay a premium for used parts. For me, the C6 seats were a huge step up from the couch style C5 seats. So a lot better for long trips. In fact. the whole interior is a step up from the C5. You do lose a lot of storage in the rear in the C6.

If you do look at C5's and C6's, the first thing you need to do is look at the harmonic balancer while it's running. If it has a wobble, just realize that's a $1500 job at a mechanic.

snide 02-13-2020 11:38am

A lot depends on your size. For me, the C5 was much more comfortable than the C6. Legroom and headroom were the factors. The C5 has an inch or two more legroom, and with the vert, headroom was not an issue. The C6 was cozy and snug, but not uncomfortable. If you're planning taking really long drives, the trunk on the C5 vert is much larger than the trunk on the C6 vert. Can't speak to the hatch area, although I do believe the trunk of my C5 had more cargo area than my C6 Z06.

However, if I still had both cars, I'd likely take the C5 for long drives.

JetMechZ16 02-13-2020 11:48am

Sorry I can't speak to the C6 but I have taken my 04 C5 Z06 from Chattanooga TN to Charleston SC, about a 7 hr drive. Me and the wife had plenty of room for our luggage for a 3 day stay. The car would accommodate more luggage if we needed it to. The drive was enjoyable and we had 0 issues with the car.

carlton_fritz 02-13-2020 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 1730084)
Since both are a little long in the tooth, you need to be able to work on them yourself to keep cost down. C5 electronic parts are getting rare-so for some things you will pay a premium for used parts. For me, the C6 seats were a huge step up from the couch style C5 seats. So a lot better for long trips. In fact. the whole interior is a step up from the C5. You do lose a lot of storage in the rear in the C6.

If you do look at C5's and C6's, the first thing you need to do is look at the harmonic balancer while it's running. If it has a wobble, just realize that's a $1500 job at a mechanic.

One place I have in mind give a 2 year 50K mile warranty. I plan on looking for low mileage.

BOTY 02-13-2020 11:54am

My C5 is great for long trips. Comfortable with decent storage.

carlton_fritz 02-13-2020 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1730086)
A lot depends on your size. For me, the C5 was much more comfortable than the C6. Legroom and headroom were the factors. The C5 has an inch or two more legroom, and with the vert, headroom was not an issue. The C6 was cozy and snug, but not uncomfortable. If you're planning taking really long drives, the trunk on the C5 vert is much larger than the trunk on the C6 vert. Can't speak to the hatch area, although I do believe the trunk of my C5 had more cargo area than my C6 Z06.

However, if I still had both cars, I'd likely take the C5 for long drives.

The long drive would be from Indiana to middle Georgia and possibly on down to Hilton Head Island. I am only 5'11", but love leg room. My knees want me to move my legs every so often. That drive would also include going over the mountains instead of staying on the interstate. Which one brakes best?

dwjz06 02-13-2020 12:12pm

Had C5Z06. I like the C6 as well. The edge to the C5 for me. 6'2" 240 never had any issues with room or seat comfort.:cert:

Rob 02-13-2020 12:12pm

I did plenty of long trips in both my C5 and C6...and would do it all over again.

However, I cammed and put straight pipes on my C5....it was still awesome, but loses the road trip appeal due to the extreme noise coming from my mods and at my age, I like to listen to my radio at a reasonable level :rofl:

JetMechZ16 02-13-2020 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixievet (Post 1730112)
I did plenty of long trips in both my C5 and C6...and would do it all over again.

However, I cammed and put straight pipes on my C5....it was still awesome, but loses the road trip appeal due to the extreme noise coming from my mods and at my age, I like to listen to my radio at a reasonable level :rofl:

Cutouts are the answer for that. :yesnod:

carlton_fritz 02-13-2020 12:15pm

One note, a C5 would likely be loaded to be close to the price of a C6 LT, not including the 2005. I haven't done any research on that year.

Hardluck 02-13-2020 12:15pm

I've had 1 C5, 1 C6 coupe and 1 C6Z! Liked the C6's better than the C5. I liked the seats in the C6's much better, more comfortable!

JetMechZ16 02-13-2020 12:16pm

C5 Z06 > C6 base

BOTY 02-13-2020 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlton_fritz (Post 1730106)
The long drive would be from Indiana to middle Georgia and possibly on down to Hilton Head Island. I am only 5'11", but love leg room. My knees want me to move my legs every so often. That drive would also include going over the mountains instead of staying on the interstate. Which one brakes best?

I have taken mine from central IL to Orlando 3 times always straight through stopping for gas and once to Carlisle PA same way. I never felt uncomfortable at a lil over 6 foot, 175. They both should be able to stop on a dime. :seasix:

VatorMan 02-13-2020 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlton_fritz (Post 1730101)
One place I have in mind give a 2 year 50K mile warranty. I plan on looking for low mileage.

2 year 50K warranty on a 20 YO car ? I'll bet the small print on that warranty is a page long.

carlton_fritz 02-13-2020 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMechZ16 (Post 1730118)
C5 Z06 > C6 base

No sticks for me. I do not like dancing in traffic.

carlton_fritz 02-13-2020 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 1730121)
2 year 50K warranty on a 20 YO car ? I'll bet the small print on that warranty is a page long.

Maybe. Haven't seen it yet.

carlton_fritz 02-13-2020 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 1730121)

https://buyavette.net/included-warranties

VatorMan 02-13-2020 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlton_fritz (Post 1730134)

Internal engine and transmission. That leaves out the spendy electronics like a new body controller, ABS controller or ECM. That tidbit about the harmonic balancer wouldn't be covered either. Just be aware. The LS motors and the Tremac transmissions are very reliable. It's the stuff that hangs off of them that are the issue.

TripleBlack 02-13-2020 12:56pm

I bought my C6 in 2007 and now have ~95k miles on it. I put ~40K miles on my 2004 C5 between '04 and '07. I've driven both on several long trips (Dallas-Seattle-San Diego-Dallas and variations of that route). Both were verts and I didn't notice that much difference in trunk capacity but the C5 has a little more according to specs. Probably taller/deeper than the C6. You have to pack smart with either for long trips.
C6 wins for comfort and convenience. Better seats and they are heated on the 2LT, which makes a big difference if you enjoy top down driving in brisk weather. The proximity key is great too.. Better top mechanism than the C5 IMO, though the C5 manual top was easy and quick to operate. The C6 has a better HUD too.
Speaking of top down driving... for some reason the C5 seemed to have much less turbulence at highway speeds. Very noticeable. I speculate that difference in the shape of the hood is a big factor. I could carry on a conversation at 70 with the top down on the c5. The C6, not so much.
As someone mentioned, a bit less leg room in the C6 but to me it made little or no difference in comfort. Guess that depends on your size. While the C6 interior is no match for a Lexus, it's a heck of a lot nicer that the C5's.
Oh, the lights... the C5's are terrible compared to the HIDs in the C6. Guess some good LED headlights would fix the C5...
The C6 seemed more refined to drive when just cruising around. It certainly becomes a sports car in a hurry when you push it, but the C5 never let me forget it was a sports car. It wasn't twitchy, just always on edge and ready respond. I've always missed that feeling in the C6 though I guess it contributes to the overall comfort. And it easily fixed by pushing it just a bit.