The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Why move the MAF? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3116)

Munch 06-12-2010 9:20pm

Why move the MAF?

Honestly I don't know what the stock MAF location is but on my car with a Vararam it's before the air bridge and I see on some cars it's after the airbridge butted up to the throttle body. So what's the reason for moving it around?

Y2Kvert4me 06-12-2010 9:47pm

I think the intent behind the relocation is to "straighten" the airflow and cause the MAF to report more accurately. Airflow going around sharp bends tends to be more turbulent, and that cannot help a sensor.

Now, with that said, I wouldn't advise doing so unless you can also make the tuning changes. The stock location (in front of airbridge) may not be ideal, but that's where it was when the car was tuned, and the tune reflects that. If you still have your screened MAF, this relocation may not be a big deal, as that screen is in place to straighten airflow....It's the '02/later Z06s that have the most problems with inaccuracies caused by air filter systems because the MAFs on those cars have no screen.

The MAF is a rather sensitive device, and it does have a major impact on how the PCM fuels the engine.

Bottom line concerning the relocation...There is probably little to be gained, and a lot to be lost if you don't have the ability to compensate the tune for the actual differences the change did make.

:cheers:

Sneaks 06-12-2010 10:07pm

Most are re-located due to air intake requirements I think.

Munch 06-12-2010 10:13pm

I guess mine is in the stock location which is cool, I don't mind it being there. I just wondered why some are moved. I didn't like the wire loom that went to it going over the radiator shroud but I relocated that so ya don't see it.

Eagleeye 06-12-2010 11:43pm

Left mine in original position...'01 Z

71corv 06-13-2010 8:44pm

Have mine in front and have not had any problems. 02 ZO6

Gene :drivingskid:

MattW 04-22-2011 12:52am

Some folks report a surging engine effect around 1500 rpm with the Vararam installed. I seem to have that problem. Vmmm Vmmm Vmmm... jerky. There are a few posts in other Tech sections which say moving the MAF to the TB side of the air bridge, eliminates the surging.

Eagleeye 04-22-2011 11:53am

Or add an aftermarket screen if yours is '02 or later...

Cobra4B 04-22-2011 12:07pm

I have yanked the screen on both '01 Z06s I've had w/o any issues. This go around I did it because the MAF was nasty and filled with debris from an improperly sealed OEM inake.

On my old Z I had a Haltech Veonom on it for a bit before I sold the car and that moves the MAF just ahead of the TB which is where GM put it in the C6s.

The car had no issues and ran the same. GM moved it there to allow for straigher airflow and more accurate MAF readings. From what I heard the screens in the earlier C5 MAFs were simply a carry-over from the same part being used on the truck engines where the intake tract was much curvier and the air neede the screen to straighten it before flowing over the MAF.

This is why they were able to remove it on the '02-'04Z... but for some reason they went back to the screen with the C6... not sure if later model C6s have the screen or not.

I've also heard it said that the screen does nothing to affect airflow since the total passage of the MAF with the screen is still larger then the TB opening.