The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Elderly Relatives and TV Remotes (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125574)

dvarapala 04-22-2021 8:57am

Elderly Relatives and TV Remotes

I'm sure many of you have elderly relatives who are confused by the complex remote controls required to operate modern TVs, cable boxes, DVRs, etc. Tell me about the things you have done to make things easier for your loved ones to veg in front of the boob tube. For example, they make those big-button phones for elderly people to make cell phone calls - do they make a big-button TV universal remote?

:popcorns:

Steve_R 04-22-2021 9:20am

Broke your Google again?

>>>Clicky<<<

dvarapala 04-22-2021 9:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1875939)
Broke your Google again?

>>>Clicky<<<

No, but the curated answers I get here beat the poo-poo out of Google search results. :yesnod:

So why not tell us what your grandkids set you up with for TV watching? :popcorns:

Old Ben 04-22-2021 9:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1875926)
I'm sure many of you have elderly relatives who are confused by the complex remote controls required to operate modern TVs, cable boxes, DVRs, etc. Tell me about the things you have done to make things easier for your loved ones to veg in front of the boob tube. For example, they make those big-button phones for elderly people to make cell phone calls - do they make a big-button TV universal remote?

Listen hear youngster. I'm 75 years young and don't need any assistance from my grandkids to be able to use the remote controls for the TV, cable box, DVR, etc. :toetap:

Steve_R 04-22-2021 9:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1875941)
No, but the curated answers I get here beat the poo-poo out of Google search results. :yesnod:

So why not tell us what your grandkids set you up with for TV watching? :popcorns:

Ah, so just lazy. Got it. :seasix: 84 year old MIL has no problem using regular remotes. Cell phone and iPad are a totally different topic. :lol:

I watch very little TV so rarely touch the remotes. I can't remember the last time I turned the TV on in a hotel room when I'm traveling. Waste of time.

dvarapala 04-22-2021 9:46am

1 Attachment(s)
Relative in question is mid-80s and is in the early stages of dementia. For someone who was raised on "channel 2, channel 5, channel 7, and channel 9" these new remotes are cluttered and confusing. Plus even if you show her how she forgets it 30 minutes later. :sadangel:

Anyone remember the original "clicker" TV remotes that worked acoustically? The kind where if you jangled your keys the T would change channels? I bet she could handle a modern version of that. :yesnod:

Aerovette 04-22-2021 10:31am

I told them ignore every button except channel, volume, and guide. 5 years later...so far so good.

I have more problems with the dog messing up the settings than my parents. She has a habit of changing the sound to Spanish.

Anjdog2003 04-22-2021 11:18am

No T.V no problem.

Stevedore 04-22-2021 11:25am

1 Attachment(s)
When my 94 year old mother went into a dementia care oriented assisted living facility, I bought her a small TV & Tek-Pal big-button remote. It worked well & she was able control the TV.

Within a month or 2, she no longer knew what the remote was for, and she thought the TV was now a radio, & told me to take it home to her house so no one would steal it.

Attachment 55892

RMVette 04-22-2021 11:32am

This doesn’t pertain to electronics however when my mom was in need of a new car (back in the mid ‘90’s) I found out that elderly people can’t use a hand brake that you pull up (no hand strength), or a floor shift. Big buttons on the heating/cooling and a column shift was key. She didn’t even want a car with electric windows or door locks fearing that she’d get trapped in the car. I understood after that adventure why so many old people buy Cadillacs and Lincolns.

04 commemorative 04-22-2021 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1875926)

Holy crap man...how old are you :confused5: My mother used to call it a boob tube :lol:

snide 04-22-2021 12:11pm

My MIL doesn't know how to work our TV remotes. Doesn't know how to turn the TV on or off. Doesn't know how to change the channel. The only thing she does know how to do is turn the volume up to earsplitting.

Mick 04-22-2021 5:05pm

I'm sorry, I can't help you here. I think we had a TV remote, maybe even 2, but I don't know where any of them are. When I want to watch TV, I push the power button on the set, and some old ladies come on hawking some non-stick pans, shower bars, stair-lifts, and adult diapers. When I get tired of this, and my credit card has reached its maximum, I push the button again, and the TV goes off. I refuse to pay for the cable, so this is how I live my life. Call me a rebel if you will, but this life chose me, not the other way around. :thumbs:

Bill 04-22-2021 5:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1875989)
Holy crap man...how old are you :confused5: My mother used to call it a boob tube :lol:

I'm so old I remember BEING the remote control for our black and white TV. Of course, it was easier then, because there were only 4 channels to choose from.......

:cane:

Rodnok1 04-22-2021 5:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1876094)
I'm so old I remember BEING the remote control for our black and white TV. Of course, it was easier then, because there were only 4 channels to choose from.......

Between changing channels and adjusting the rabbit ears i didn't get to watch much tv either.
My and my sister broke the tv knob once fighting over channels. Ass beatings may have been given out and how. Nothing like using pliers to change channels until they got a new knob which back then must have cost a fortune as it was a long time it seems before we got a new one.

Torqaholic 04-22-2021 6:17pm

You bored snowflake? Haven't touched a remote in ~40 years and even I knew they made them with big buttons. TV is for idiots. Don't own one, never will, have only bought them as gifts for other people.

What they really need are big button cell phones. Then I could cart one around on a dolly all the time like some kind of portable phone booth. If you don't know what those things are google might still be your friend. Wouldn't bet money on it though.

As for grandkids. They don't hang around and I'm fine with that. Can only remember a few of the names and since there's (at least) ten of them even that requires enough effort to give me a stroke.

Ol Timer 04-22-2021 6:20pm

Get off my lawn!

Thunder22 04-22-2021 6:48pm

Logitech Harmony remote. trust me.

MEANZ06 04-22-2021 9:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1876094)

:iagree: I WAS the remote back then

ratflinger 04-23-2021 8:15am

I took a photo of the remove & blew it up. I then put put labels out to the side pointing to each of the major buttons. Then I typed out, on the side, 1-2-3 lists for the things he'd want to do with the BR player. I laminated a few copies so that if one got damaged there was more.