The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Das Boat problem: Starboard motor won't start when warm. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124634)

DJ_Critterus 01-15-2021 12:52pm

Das Boat problem: Starboard motor won't start when warm.

This just started. When both engines on Das Boat are cold they start easily once both fuel pumps on each motor get the fuel up to 45psi. Now, after they are warm, the port engine will start easily but the starboard won't.

They are 541 BB Chebbies, TPI, and have the MEF-I Tune Port fuel injection and computer system. I'm thinking that it's vapor locking due to the fuel return line. What says OT?

JetMechZ16 01-15-2021 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1845244)
This just started. When both engines on Das Boat are cold they start easily once both fuel pumps on each motor get the fuel up to 45psi. Now, after they are warm, the port engine will start easily but the starboard won't.

They are 541 BB Chebbies, TPI, and have the MEF-I Tune Port fuel injection and computer system. I'm thinking that it's vapor locking due to the fuel return line. What says OT?

:withstupid:

DAB 01-15-2021 1:17pm

don't shut off the starboard engine. :slap:

DJ_Critterus 01-15-2021 1:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1845249)
don't shut off the starboard engine. :slap:

Kinda hard to do that when I pull up to Whitey's Fish Camp for lunch.

DAB 01-15-2021 2:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1845264)
Kinda hard to do that when I pull up to Whitey's Fish Camp for lunch.

don't go to Whitey's for lunch.....:slap:

or...don't start that engine until after lunch!

i have no idea how those engines work. :DAB:

thecornerman 01-15-2021 2:39pm

Does it eventually start?
How long did it take to start?
What was for lunch?

Chemdawg99 01-15-2021 2:40pm

poke a hole in the fuel lines to see if the vapor lock goes away

mrvette 01-15-2021 2:44pm

I ASSume one fuel pump per engine........ so to check pressure on the starbord engine.....after that, are you getting spark?? stick a timing light on one of the wires.......I ASSume an HEI dizzy and R U running injection?? if so need a scanner......if not, maybe check the voltages at your temp sensors to compare them.....air and water......

DJ_Critterus 01-15-2021 3:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecornerman (Post 1845274)
Does it eventually start?
How long did it take to start?
What was for lunch?

It'll start after I give it a shot of ether and then keep running like it's supposed to at proper RPM (idle at 1K rpm).

DJ_Critterus 01-15-2021 3:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99 (Post 1845277)
poke a hole in the fuel lines to see if the vapor lock goes away

Eat a dick. I wouldn't trust your advice and wouldn't trust you to sit the right way on a toilet seat much less not be a ****ing piece of shit.

**** off. I hate you and hope you get the KungFlu a few times.

DJ_Critterus 01-15-2021 3:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1845281)
I ASSume one fuel pump per engine........ so to check pressure on the starbord engine.....after that, are you getting spark?? stick a timing light on one of the wires.......I ASSume an HEI dizzy and R U running injection?? if so need a scanner......if not, maybe check the voltages at your temp sensors to compare them.....air and water......

2x pumps per engine. One to get it from the tanks to the primary pump and the primary feeds the beast. Fuel pressure is measured by a guage with a tube running directly to it (them) off of the fuel rail.

Giraffe (He/Him) 01-15-2021 3:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1845288)
Eat a dick. I wouldn't trust your advice and wouldn't trust you to sit the right way on a toilet seat much less not be a ****ing piece of shit.

Lotta lovin' in this response. :Jeff '79:

DJ_Critterus 01-15-2021 3:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas (Post 1845297)
Lotta lovin' in this response. :Jeff '79:

I say it only with sincerity and wholesome intentions in my little black heart that's probably 3 sizes too small. :yesnod:

The_Dude 01-15-2021 3:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1845288)

That's no way to make friends.

Chemdawg99 01-15-2021 3:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1845300)
I say it only with sincerity and wholesome intentions in my little black heart that's probably 3 sizes too small. :yesnod:

I bet you still cash your new Presidents stimulus check :hurray:

DJ_Critterus 01-15-2021 3:18pm

Go back to your high horse over there in PR. Nobody really likes you here and it's been openly stated by many members.

67 Fuelie 01-15-2021 8:12pm

Is the rail pressure bleeding off? Is there a start injector?

markids77 01-15-2021 8:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1845244)

I think starboard got tired of trying to deliver your oft stated GPH fuel consumption and decided to go on strike. Tell her you're sorry and buy her a tank of 110 octane; maybe she'll forgive you. :D

ZipZap 01-15-2021 8:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99 (Post 1845307)
I bet you still cash your new Presidents stimulus check :hurray:

Cool story bro.

benny42 01-15-2021 8:24pm

Is it flooding? Does the BBC TPI ecm have a clear-flood mode you can try to eliminate that?