The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics & Religion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Uh oh. I'm breaking my policy (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23331)

SnikPlosskin 10-11-2011 7:00pm

Uh oh. I'm breaking my policy

I just wrote this article. (I have a few thousand subscribers to my blog and I stay away from politics....until now.)

Quote:

#Occupy Wall Street. Classic Ready, Fire, Aim Strategy
http://www.claritymarketingsupport.c...ads/signtn.jpgRegular readers may or may not have noticed I stay away from politics. I also don't mention religion. And I sure don't write about the place of religion in politics. But the #occupy protests over the last few weeks are just too juicy for me to ignore. Yummy, juicy, deliciously stupid. Uh oh. I said it. Stupid. "But, Pete..." you might say. "You live in Austin, TX. You're gonna get fried for that comment". Bring it people. I call it as I see it and I see stupidity. Here's why.

No doubt you've heard the expression "Ready, Aim, Fire" in the context of marketing. And what is marketing? Essentially it's getting a message out. The #occupiers are trying to get a message out too. The only problem is, they don't even know what the message is. They are doing the same thing many companies do when it comes to marketing. "Ready, Fire, Aim". That strategy, or lack thereof, simply will not work. Will they get attention? Of course. Will they send a "message"? Well, they will send some kind of message. Will they meet their goals? How can they if they don't have anything specific - anything actionable.

They did a great job with "Ready" utilizing social media and manipulating the press and police. They certainly "Fired" when they started showing up. It's the "Aim" part that seems to be missing. Some would want you to believe that sooner or later, they will get their message together. I'm not so sure. Their target "Corporations" is too vague. It's just like saying "Everybody needs our product". Maybe it's true, but it's not as strategy that can be executed. Strategies are specific in terms of target and outcome. Regardless of your political position, it is clear that their targets are "anyone but us" and their outcome is unknown at this point.

On a more personal note, the idea that these poor folks can't "find" a job is totally off target. It implies that jobs are "found" or "given". I feel that I can editorialize on this aspect because I've been jobless before. Well, in fact, I've never had a "job". And thus, nobody ever had to give me a "job". Have I been unemployed my entire life? Of course not. I've been self employed my entire adult life.

I created my "job". But I didn't stop there. I created jobs for others. I'm not that special. Everyone of those protestors that can't find a job needs to wake up and start taking some responsibility. A friend of mine was unemployed for about 9 months. He started a business picking up dog....business. He's making six figures now and he doesn't pick up anything but checks from grateful customers. How simple is that?

And don't even get me started on young people whining about too much debt from school. They made the decision to enter into a contract. They made the decision to buy XBoxes, pizza parties, beer bongs and IPads. But now they don't want to pay up. Again, in a fit of narcissism, I'll use myself as an example. I worked my way through college. It took 5 years. I had some debt in student loans and it took me well into my adult life to pay them off. I also had a couple small grants. But the majority of the costs were born by me. I put in 15 hour days on a regular basis and I survived. I didn't whine, protest and tear down. Instead, I started a company and built something.

But that's just me. If you own a business you understand what I'm talking about. You take the risk. You pay the piper. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. But nobody else bears responsibility for your success or failure except you. If you live to build, let's talk. If you want to whine about how tough life is, I think the protesters are gathering down at Starbucks.
:hide:

vetteman9368 10-11-2011 7:11pm

awesome

theriver 10-11-2011 7:41pm

Very well written :seasix:

What is happening to the USA is strikingly similar to the Russian Revolution 1917. We will pay a similar price.

Hoog 10-11-2011 7:48pm

*borne

:jester: Well said though

Frizzle 10-11-2011 7:52pm

While I agree with you..

how are the responses to your posting?

78SA 10-11-2011 7:58pm

Good read. I like what they teach on your planet. :seasix:

atomic punk 10-11-2011 8:21pm

well said..

Datawiz 10-11-2011 8:29pm

Well thought out post. :cheers:

polarbear 10-11-2011 8:33pm

Well thought out and written. :seasix: I'm watching events unfold with great interest. It bears mentioning that the 60's anti-establishment movement started out as a bunch of pot-smoking hippies staging random sit-ins. No one, in their wildest dreams, could have imagined the impact that generation would have though.

SnikPlosskin 10-11-2011 8:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle (Post 449694)
While I agree with you..

how are the responses to your posting?

Just posted tonight. Probably have some pissed off readers tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 449791)
Well thought out post. :cheers:

Thanks. You know what is funny? I only write first drafts. I wrote that in 10 minutes. :lol:

Allan 10-11-2011 8:40pm

Your friend making $$$ w/doggie doodoo. :seasix:

It's always been said, "Ya wanna a job that makes a lot of money? Do something no one else will do."

Your friend is the proof!

BuckyThreadkiller 10-12-2011 9:14am

:thumbs:

RedLS1GTO 10-12-2011 9:25am

:hurray::hurray:

jaxgator 10-12-2011 9:38am

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Gb9WJgasgF...hammernail.jpg

Cybercowboy 10-12-2011 10:09am

I think you were far to kind to their, er, movement. Bunch of petulant children screaming for communism.

syf350 10-12-2011 4:09pm

:cheers:

Frizzle 10-12-2011 4:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrakk (Post 449813)
Just posted tonight. Probably have some pissed off readers tomorrow.

:waiting:

CertInsaneC5 10-12-2011 5:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 450146)
I think you were far to kind to their, er, movement. Bunch of petulant children screaming for communism.

:iagree: But I enjoyed it just the same.

Post up some their comments tomorrow. Should be entertaining. :lol: :cheers:

Entropy 10-12-2011 5:45pm

I like it Pete, and although I'm not self employed, I subscribe to the same basic ideas of working hard and making myself valuable.

SnikPlosskin 10-12-2011 8:34pm

Wow, thanks guys.

Entropy, it is all about value. Either you provide value or you don't. The good news is that anyone can change their value to the marketplace by enhancing skills or adding new ones.

An entrepreneur jumps off the cliff and builds his wings on the way down. Too many people not willing to jump.

Another thing that chaps my ass is that people aren't really willing to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to change their situation. For example, no jobs in your town? Move to a city that's growing. Don't have the right skill set? Go to school at nights while flipping burgers by day. Got a crazy idea? Try it.

But don't penalize me because you don't have the balls to make it work.

/rant.