The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   NCC-1701A Enterprise Refit (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118211)

SnikPlosskin 03-17-2019 8:03pm

1 Attachment(s)
Most of the paint work done on the lower dish. When I close my eyes I see masks! All the paint is pearl. I wish I could photograph it. When you move it, the pattern fades in and out. Some colors get more prominent, and others fade back. From some angles you can hardly see the pattern.

SnikPlosskin 03-17-2019 8:14pm

And a test of the shuttle bay - I really dig the sequential landing lights. Note the tiny little people - red shirts and gold shirts. There is a guy way at the back doing like a "touch down" pose. :rofl:

I also added the flickering blue warp engines. The reflective black deck is not correct but I like it better than grey - I put a couple coats of clear acrylic over it, then decals, then more acrylic.

There is some dust in there and the camera shows glue on the feet of the people that the eye can't see. I blew the dust out and it's sealed up now. I'm bummed that the tiny railings are bent a bit - they are super fragile. No fixing now. :dance:

Check out the lights in the ceiling and on the sides. That thing by itself is a complete model.

Excuse the music - I used Youtube's crap - my original video had dogs barking their asses off.

SnikPlosskin 03-17-2019 8:26pm

2 Attachment(s)
Couple more shots

The neck and some detail on the engines. Every dang part of this will have that four color pattern.

69camfrk 03-17-2019 8:50pm

Hey Mr. Smart guy, just how were those little people breathing in space with the door open?:D On a serious note, very cool!

SnikPlosskin 03-17-2019 9:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1661977)
Hey Mr. Smart guy, just how were those little people breathing in space with the door open?:D On a serious note, very cool!

They are all dead.

Nox 03-17-2019 10:08pm

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s what you should do with the one that broke.

Cybercowboy 03-18-2019 9:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1661977)

You know how in Star Trek the brig doesn't have steel bars but instead a containment field? Well, same thing for the shuttle bay. There is a containment field that keeps the air in but allows a shuttle to pass through. I mean, if you believe that transporters and warp drives are a thing, the shuttle bay containment field is like 1/1000th of that sort of tech.

SnikPlosskin 03-18-2019 5:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nox (Post 1661991)
Here’s what you should do with the one that broke.

Massive work there. I tore the old one apart. I might try it. It’s hard enough finding a place for this monster. I do a video podcast and will likely use it as a background prop.

Look at the detail on that saucer. Holy crap.

SnikPlosskin 03-22-2019 9:43pm

3 Attachment(s)
Top saucer getting paint. Lots of intricate masking.

69camfrk 03-22-2019 10:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1662022)
You know how in Star Trek the brig doesn't have steel bars but instead a containment field? Well, same thing for the shuttle bay. There is a containment field that keeps the air in but allows a shuttle to pass through. I mean, if you believe that transporters and warp drives are a thing, the shuttle bay containment field is like 1/1000th of that sort of tech.

I feel so dumb now...:rofl:

BADRACR1 03-24-2019 9:26pm

That, sir, is as impressive as hell. Craftsmanship:seasix: at a professional level.

BADRACR1 03-24-2019 9:28pm

1 Attachment(s)
Another idea for the crashed version.Attachment 24252

SnikPlosskin 03-24-2019 10:40pm

2 Attachment(s)
Top of the saucer. The red around the center bridge area is too bright. I’ll tone that down later with some white, translucent pearl.

The colors aren’t as bright in regular light. Plus, this will be shot with clear acrylic (Future floor wax) then, a matte spray over that. That brings down the contrast.

Good lord so much masking. I still have to do the outer edge and a bunch of details. Plus a shit load of decals.

SnikPlosskin 03-24-2019 10:45pm

1 Attachment(s)
Another shot of the masking at the impulse engine.

CubSmurf 03-26-2019 8:46pm

That looks badass, 'Snik' ! I don't have the patience for the masking:)

SnikPlosskin 03-28-2019 2:12pm

I think the colors are too strong but too late now. Having a lot of trouble with liquid masking the windows. So much paint built up they are not coming off cleanly. And there are a lot of windows.

markids77 03-28-2019 7:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1664049)
I think the colors are too strong but too late now. Having a lot of trouble with liquid masking the windows. So much paint built up they are not coming off cleanly. And there are a lot of windows.

Do a spray out card on some scrap and try a bit of straight pearl white over reduced about 50 percent to mute the color. Let us know if you like the effect.

SnikPlosskin 03-31-2019 10:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1664093)
Do a spray out card on some scrap and try a bit of straight pearl white over reduced about 50 percent to mute the color. Let us know if you like the effect.

Good idea. I did it and it looks better. I’m changing paints on the rest of the model. Not sure that is a good idea but I’ve bought powdered pearl pigment and clear lacquer. I think it will be much more iridescent instead of missing with white pearl which just makes a light pearl blue instead of a transparent pearl blue.

I’ll do some testing and decide. I’m not sure it will look bad if the fuselage and engines are more iridescent than the saucer. This thing is going a bit off the rails. But I persist.

So many problems. :confused5:

SnikPlosskin 04-14-2019 8:57pm

1 Attachment(s)
Oh the tedium. Spent four hours ironing out the circuits for the secondary hull and engines. 19 circuits. Over 30 wires. Many tie together. I made jumper wires with the correct colors for hook up to the circuit board.

I also connected the part where the model mounts. It has to be strong so I used 3M structural adhesive. I’ve been using it on high stress points.

Finally I used a special tool to describe the panel lines lost to filling and sanding.

Next, crazy Aztec painting on body and engines. I am switching to clear lacquer with pearl pigment to see if I can get more luminance. We shall see.

MrPeabody 04-14-2019 9:08pm

And I thought I was nuts when I was building a ship model 25 years ago when I was learning to sail and I made sure every knot in the rigging was correct even though you'd need a magnifying glass to see that.