The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C4 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   For the C4 guys that yet remain... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80327)

five-oh 03-08-2015 9:06am

For the C4 guys that yet remain...

...a few more pics of the new to me LT4. Slightly dirty, but still one hot 19 year old...:D
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...llet/016_1.jpg
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...hallet/014.jpg

Mine and my buddy's LT4 that I oversold him on..
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...hallet/013.jpg

And one fat little happy cop...
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...hallet/005.jpg
This LT4 is miles ahead of my last 'vette...

DukeAllen 03-08-2015 10:06am

You done good :cert:

Sea Six 03-08-2015 10:18am

Nice!

And get rid of the front plate! :cert:

91corvette 03-08-2015 10:21am

gravel road?:confused5:

five-oh 03-08-2015 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91corvette (Post 1326979)
gravel road?:confused5:

That's actually a drive way...but yes, I have a slight length of gravel road I have to take. About a block. I hate it, but it's the price of living in the country with zero crime and plenty of peace. We just idle along real slow on that section.:seasix:

mike100 03-09-2015 9:06pm

You got an LT4!? wow I have to check back here a little more often.

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 03-11-2015 3:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by five-oh (Post 1326990)
That's actually a drive way...but yes, I have a slight length of gravel road I have to take. About a block. I hate it, but it's the price of living in the country with zero crime and plenty of peace. We just idle along real slow on that section.:seasix:

Isn't that road usually paved with dead possum??? :funnier:

BTW, That is a SHARP looking C4!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

(When I first typed C4 I accidently held down the cap key and
it came out as C$................How prophetic is that???)

WW7 03-11-2015 4:51pm

Nice looking Vette......If he removes the front plate a cop will pull him over and give him a ticket....Oh, never mind, I forgot who I was talking to...:rofl:...WW

five-oh 03-12-2015 9:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by WW7 (Post 1328727)
Nice looking Vette......If he removes the front plate a cop will pull him over and give him a ticket....Oh, never mind, I forgot who I was talking to...:rofl:...WW

Front plate is the least of my worries with the locals..:rofl: We don't have front license plates in Arkansas, and I have already removed it.
But I can see me having to hope that "professional courtesy" is still alive and well...especially since one of my good friends just bought a Lingenfelter Equipped 'vette that we have to see how it compares to the LT4:lol:

C4fan 03-14-2015 7:27am

Yessir, that is a fine looking vette, congrats to you my friend.:seasix:

I did the gravel (dirt) road thing for a lot of yrs before finally moving back to the city. I don't miss them at all but i do miss the peace and quiet.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...os/zo6rims.jpg

DukeAllen 03-14-2015 9:22am

1 Attachment(s)
Mine lives in a gravel driveway too :ack:

Black95 03-15-2015 7:26am

Keep driving them - gravel or no gravel!
http://abe.midco.net/~barondeau1/Vettes/CIMG8479.JPG

five-oh 03-15-2015 2:27pm

Well...I drove the Lingenfelter equipped car this weekend. Feels strong, but seat of the pants I think the LT4 will pull it. Still it was a heckuva buy for my friend- seems to be pretty tight although it's been modified extensively and has a ton of miles on the body.

And I ordered some new shoes for the back of mine today. Mickey Thompson Street Comps 315/35/17s. Good price and good reviews. Happened to notice the back skins on mine are a little slicker than I thought..:lol:

DukeAllen 03-15-2015 9:25pm

Don't you boys go street racing, someone will call the...oh, never mind :D

five-oh 03-20-2015 10:36pm

Got the Mickey Thompsons' in yesterday. Went all over town trying to find someone who could mount them on the car. Apparently, the 11 inch wide rims were too wide to fit on any local station's machine. In desperation, I went by Walmart. My wife is in management there, and the tire guys there know me... they agreed to try. I stood by and watched their every move. Had a kid about 20 that treated my car like it was his baby....even had me back it in because he "didn't want to risk hurting that beauty".
He did a perfect job, protecting the rims with rags so they wouldn't be scratched, and balancing them to perfection.
I've driven about 150 miles having fun since. The car handles much better with some meat on the back...I think I'm gonna like the tires.

WW7 03-24-2015 3:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by five-oh (Post 1332878)
Got the Mickey Thompsons' in yesterday. Went all over town trying to find someone who could mount them on the car. Apparently, the 11 inch wide rims were too wide to fit on any local station's machine. In desperation, I went by Walmart. My wife is in management there, and the tire guys there know me... they agreed to try. I stood by and watched their every move. Had a kid about 20 that treated my car like it was his baby....even had me back it in because he "didn't want to risk hurting that beauty".
He did a perfect job, protecting the rims with rags so they wouldn't be scratched, and balancing them to perfection.
I've driven about 150 miles having fun since. The car handles much better with some meat on the back...I think I'm gonna like the tires.

They always treat the cars nice while your watching them, If you would have just dropped the car off, he would of been doing burnouts in the parking lot ten minites later....:rofl:...WW

Chuck A 03-24-2015 4:44pm

very nice, indeed
loving the green

five-oh 03-24-2015 5:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WW7 (Post 1334152)
They always treat the cars nice while your watching them, If you would have just dropped the car off, he would of been doing burnouts in the parking lot ten minites later....:rofl:...WW

Which is why I was watching...and made sure he knew what I do for a living, and what my wife did...:lol:

DukeAllen 03-24-2015 7:53pm

Your wife probably makes a career out of putting up with you :lol:

Taurus 03-24-2015 8:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WW7 (Post 1334152)

No, he would have been doing donuts................. see what I did there, cops, donuts....

Geez I'm rusty.

five-oh 03-24-2015 9:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurus (Post 1334348)
No, he would have been doing donuts................. see what I did there, cops, donuts....

Geez I'm rusty.

I'd say a pox on you.....but you'd send it back to me....:slap:

WW7 03-26-2015 6:45am

Quote:

Geez I'm rusty.

You would have never settled for a joke like that a few years ago...It would have been beneath you...:)....WW

DukeAllen 03-26-2015 6:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by WW7 (Post 1334877)
You would have never settled for a joke like that a few years ago...It would have been beneath you...:)....WW

He must not be getting enough posse :D

:leaving:

C4fan 03-28-2015 8:32am

Quote:

Geez I'm rusty.

Don't be so hard on yourself Jon, the joke may have been a little rusty but you still turned an actual vette thread into something completely unrelated in one post. That's the gang I remember!!:D

Taurus 03-29-2015 4:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by C4fan (Post 1335867)
Don't be so hard on yourself Jon, the joke may have been a little rusty but you still turned an actual vette thread into something completely unrelated in one post. That's the gang I remember!!:D

No problem, it's what I do.....................

Just playing with the C4 today;

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...pscagrkxw2.jpg

five-oh 04-11-2015 9:45pm

Hijacking my own thread back, and turning it back to C4 related...:slap:
Someone in the past put a brake cooling hose/vent on my car from the airdam to the front brakes. Driving along the other day I hear the sound of something scraping- the hose had came loose. So I tied it up until I could have time to repair it...Today I jacked the incredibly low car up and while I am fixing the vent, I look over- and one of the bolts to the lower control arm had lost its nut and nearly worked all the way out. Not good. And btw, the factory Service Manual has NO size listed for that bolt/nut. Two trips to town in the '46 and me carrying the bolt in (the second time, like I should've the first) finally got the right nut. I wanted to :slap: Chevrolet. Would it have been that hard to print the size of the nut in the Service Manual?:kick:
Otherwise- I'm loving this car. Probably enjoying it too much judging from the fuel mileage....:D
I ran over to Oklahoma last weekend in it, got 27mpg- then coming back I discovered some backroads, a mountain, and several miles of curvy roads up and down the mountains, and NO traffic in my way. Gas mileage fell to 24 mpg. Smiles per gallon went up exponentially.:D

DukeAllen 04-11-2015 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by five-oh (Post 1342481)
Would it have been that hard to print the size of the nut in the Service Manual?:kick:

Yes. Then we wouldn't get to read the story of you spending a day playing with nuts :lol:

Sea Six 04-12-2015 1:49am

At least he was playing with his own nuts!

:D

five-oh 04-12-2015 7:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeAllen (Post 1342491)
Yes. Then we wouldn't get to read the story of you spending a day playing with nuts :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1342503)
At least he was playing with his own nuts!

:D

:kick::slap: Just for that I hope you lose a nut....:D

And since I love to post pics of the 'vette- I have a friend who is a very good photographer. In return for getting to drive the 'vette, he snapped a few pics last weekend, so....
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...1428680567.jpg
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...1428680562.jpg
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...1428680578.jpg

DukeAllen 04-12-2015 12:11pm

Nice pics, but now fess up. You let him off with a warning in return for his taking them :yesnod:

five-oh 04-12-2015 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeAllen (Post 1342661)
Nice pics, but now fess up. You let him off with a warning in return for his taking them :yesnod:

Heck, I impounded the car. You don't think I could afford to actually BUY another Corvette after the last moneypit, did you?:rofl:

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 04-12-2015 1:48pm

The colour scheme is hot with those stripes, and I really like those wheels, Bobby!

DukeAllen 04-12-2015 2:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by five-oh (Post 1342665)
Heck, I impounded the car. You don't think I could afford to actually BUY another Corvette after the last moneypit, did you?:rofl:

You need to economize and prioritize. Let me help with the important stuff.
Dunkin Donuts Coupons: 9 Printable Coupons for April 2015

:lol:

five-oh 04-12-2015 6:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 (Post 1342688)
The colour scheme is hot with those stripes, and I really like those wheels, Bobby!

Thanks. Believe it or not, I never really liked red and black together. But this car was such a good deal it caught my eye and the more I looked at it the more I liked it. I'm at the point I think it is nearly perfect now. :lol:

Taurus 04-12-2015 10:35pm

Mine has me a bit befuddled. I love the car, it's immaculate and is just a great looking car. A couple weeks ago, I noticed a rough idle for about 5 minutes after which the ECM does something to adjust and it smooths out and the service soon light goes on. No problem, hook up the old code reader and see what's what. No codes. Even when the idle is rough, it's not all that bad, just a little noticeable.

It almost acts like the ECM is adjusting for a lean condition, guess I'll start with the oxygen sensors.

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 04-13-2015 4:36am

Jon, don't you have OBD2 on that rig? That should pick up a lean condition...

DukeAllen 04-13-2015 3:03pm

When I'm befuddled, I say F it, and hand large sums of cash to a pro mechanic :D

Taurus 04-13-2015 8:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 (Post 1343008)
Jon, don't you have OBD2 on that rig? That should pick up a lean condition...

I do, top of the line MAC Tool reader, it reads the car but does not show any codes. So, I took it to a friends shop and used his Snap On Genesis, nothing.

five-oh 04-19-2015 8:08am

Hijacking my thread again...:lol: ... Yesterday was our local Corvette club's- of which I'm not a member because I never think about it- annual show/weekend event in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Nice town about an hour south of me.. It was forecast to come a flood so I had planned on skipping it, but when I got up yesterday, it wasn't raining.
So I called a friend and we decided to run down. He left his LT4 at home, and the other 2 local C4 owners had issues to keep them from going, so it was just my car going from our area. It was a pretty nice show. There were a lot of cars that were either garage queens or had anal retentive owners, because they were spotless. I snapped a few photos, it was an indoor show so the lights will show up, and some may be blurred- that and I was just snapping with the phone....
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...418_105300.jpg
My favorite color on a c4
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...418_102848.jpg
One of my dream cars
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...418_103840.jpg
The REAL 427....
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...418_104044.jpg
Sidepipes rule
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...418_104559.jpg
A droptop ZR1 made me stop and go back to look- they didn't make such a beast! Unfortunantly, Corvette Nation was filming it and I couldn't get close enough to get the lowdown..
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...418_104155.jpg
What my car would look like as a C6...
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...418_115000.jpg
My car and its C2 twin....I nearly got ran over trying to get to this pic...
Oh, and my friend now calls my car the Turtle Killer. I'm someone who will stop and get out to move a box turtle from the road...but I rounded a corner and there one was. I straddled him, thinking I'd miss him. THUMP. I look in the mirror and Mr Turtle is cartwheeling down the road. Apparently my car's a little lower than I thought. :leaving:

C4fan 04-19-2015 8:54am

If I remember correctly,,,the vert ZR1 is one of 2 created by a father/son (or husband/wife). They used base verts and turned them into ZR1s thru body kits/motor/suspension replacements. I don't remember much about them but I do know they didn't start life as a ZR1.

five-oh 04-19-2015 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by C4fan (Post 1345449)
If I remember correctly,,,the vert ZR1 is one of 2 created by a father/son (or husband/wife). They used base verts and turned them into ZR1s thru body kits/motor/suspension replacements. I don't remember much about them but I do know they didn't start life as a ZR1.

The 'vert ZR1 there was sharp looking....wish I could've gotten closer and looked, but Corvette Nation had set up and appeared they were going to be a while, so I moved on. And I can't believe it, but my two favorite cars in the show I didn't get a pic of. One was a '57 that had been highly modified (LS3, 6 speed) but looked pretty stock and one was a bone stock all original '65, complete with "patina'd" paint.

five-oh 04-27-2015 7:10pm

Lesson learned.....alignments that are perfect for a weekend autocross apparently are not perfect for someone who drives as much as I do.:leaving:
My car had a lot of camber, I believe...appeared to be set up that way for autocross. I don't know, since I have never autocrossed, but the P.O. had said that it was set up for that specific purpose..
I replaced the rear tires, and figured I'd replace the fronts soon since they were getting thin. Sure enough, I notice they are wearing bad on the inside. Ordered new tires, and headed off to my friendly local alignment shop. Surprise #1- they have filled in the pit that they've used for years and have replaced it with a new lift. And, since my car is low, there's no way for them to get it on the rack. :slap:
No problem, I'll find someone else. Nope. Not in 50 miles....until today. I finally found an old school guy who still has the pit. Unfortunately it'll be nearly 3 weeks before he can do it, because he's that booked up. Oh well. In 3 weeks I'll put less than 1000 miles on it, so it shouldn't jack my tires up too bad. As much as I love it, I kinda wish the P.O. had left the ride height stock...
On the bright side, the wife didn't squeal too loudly with anger when the new tires came off the UPS truck.:lol:
BTW, it pays to befriend/bad influence the UPS guy. Since he drooled over my '96 until he went and bought his own the other day, he has called with lots of C4 questions. In return for my friendship and knowledge- he calls when he has parts for me. Today's call went like this- " Hey, Bob, I got tires on the truck for ya. Do I need to meet you up town so the wife don't see 'em?" :rofl: He's gonna be a great friend I'm thinking......

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 04-27-2015 8:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by five-oh (Post 1348674)
Lesson learned.....alignments that are perfect for a weekend autocross apparently are not perfect for someone who drives as much as I do.:leaving:
My car had a lot of camber, I believe...appeared to be set up that way for autocross. I don't know, since I have never autocrossed, but the P.O. had said that it was set up for that specific purpose..
I replaced the rear tires, and figured I'd replace the fronts soon since they were getting thin. Sure enough, I notice they are wearing bad on the inside. Ordered new tires, and headed off to my friendly local alignment shop. Surprise #1- they have filled in the pit that they've used for years and have replaced it with a new lift. And, since my car is low, there's no way for them to get it on the rack. :slap:
No problem, I'll find someone else. Nope. Not in 50 miles....until today. I finally found an old school guy who still has the pit. Unfortunately it'll be nearly 3 weeks before he can do it, because he's that booked up. Oh well. In 3 weeks I'll put less than 1000 miles on it, so it shouldn't jack my tires up too bad. As much as I love it, I kinda wish the P.O. had left the ride height stock...
On the bright side, the wife didn't squeal too loudly with anger when the new tires came off the UPS truck.:lol:
BTW, it pays to befriend/bad influence the UPS guy. Since he drooled over my '96 until he went and bought his own the other day, he has called with lots of C4 questions. In return for my friendship and knowledge- he calls when he has parts for me. Today's call went like this- " Hey, Bob, I got tires on the truck for ya. Do I need to meet you up town so the wife don't see 'em?" :rofl: He's gonna be a great friend I'm thinking......

Funny how relationships spring from common interests... Hope
you guys are still friends when your UPS guy has to get a second job to keep
his new C4 running....
:funnier:

five-oh 04-27-2015 8:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 (Post 1348714)
Funny how relationships spring from common interests... Hope
you guys are still friends when your UPS guy has to get a second job to keep
his new C4 running....
:funnier:

:lol: He's already started...the car he bought has the infamous a/c distribution problem. He's got it at a local guy's shop having it fixed now. I warned him. Told him that a C4 is a jealous beast that will NOT be satisfied until it has all your attention, time, and money. And it is a cruel mistress that makes you love it in spite of its issues- kinda like that extremely hot girl that has multiple personality disorder. You know it's gonna end with you hurt and broke, but you can't help but go with it anyway. :rofl:
Did he listen? No. The sirens got another one...:dance:

DukeAllen 04-27-2015 8:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by five-oh (Post 1348732)
:lol: He's already started...the car he bought has the infamous a/c distribution problem. He's got it at a local guy's shop having it fixed now. I warned him. Told him that a C4 is a jealous beast that will NOT be satisfied until it has all your attention, time, and money. And it is a cruel mistress that makes you love it in spite of its issues- kinda like that extremely hot girl that has multiple personality disorder. You know it's gonna end with you hurt and broke, but you can't help but go with it anyway. :rofl:

Hate to admit it, but :withstupid::lol:

You nailed C4 ownership in one paragraph. Every time mine gives me trouble I cuss and swear this is the last time, it's going on CL. And as soon as it's fixed I'm in love and can't wait to hop in and go.

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 04-27-2015 10:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by five-oh (Post 1348732)

You've described all our C4 adventures very well......:seasix:

Black95 04-28-2015 6:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeAllen (Post 1348739)
Hate to admit it, but :withstupid::lol:

You nailed C4 ownership in one paragraph. Every time mine gives me trouble I cuss and swear this is the last time, it's going on CL. And as soon as it's fixed I'm in love and can't wait to hop in and go.

I must be on a lucky streak. In the last three years, the only problem I've had with mine is a bad fuel pump!
:dance:

DukeAllen 04-28-2015 8:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black'95 (Post 1348831)
I must be on a lucky streak. In the last three years, the only problem I've had with mine is a bad fuel pump!

or you made a pact with Satan! :ohnoes:

C4fan 04-28-2015 7:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by five-oh (Post 1348674)

Hey Bobby, next time this happens try stacking 2 x 6's (or 12's) on the floor. Even the lowest car should be able to drive up on a 1 1/2" board. It only take 2 or 3 boards to get the car high enough to get the lift under it.

five-oh 04-28-2015 9:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by C4fan (Post 1349214)
Hey Bobby, next time this happens try stacking 2 x 6's (or 12's) on the floor. Even the lowest car should be able to drive up on a 1 1/2" board. It only take 2 or 3 boards to get the car high enough to get the lift under it.

We've thought of that. But most of the alignment shops around hear have some type of jack on the lifts that stick up around 4 inches after you get it on the rack. My car is lower than that. I think a couple of the shops could've made it work but didn't want to because they'd have had to take off the jacks.
I don't know- I just know that 1) I don't want the underside of my car ripped to heck by someone who doesn't know what they are doing and 2) it's all good now that I've found the guy with the pit.:seasix:

Taurus 04-28-2015 9:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by five-oh (Post 1349289)
We've thought of that. But most of the alignment shops around hear have some type of jack on the lifts that stick up around 4 inches after you get it on the rack. My car is lower than that. I think a couple of the shops could've made it work but didn't want to because they'd have had to take off the jacks.
I don't know- I just know that 1) I don't want the underside of my car ripped to heck by someone who doesn't know what they are doing and 2) it's all good now that I've found the guy with the pit.:seasix:

Don't worry, if the poke a hole in the floor Hokie knows how to fix it. For those that were around, I found the thread where I ruined Corvettes for Hokie, take a read;

87 l98 Will not crank over - Corvette Forum

I was such a stinker.........................

Black95 04-29-2015 6:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurus (Post 1349293)
Don't worry, if the poke a hole in the floor Hokie knows how to fix it. For those that were around, I found the thread where I ruined Corvettes for Hokie, take a read;

Thanks! As I joined much later and noticed references to "Hokie" in numerous threads, I was never quite sure what was going on. Now I understand much better!

five-oh 04-29-2015 6:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurus (Post 1349293)

Hokie was an idiot. He deserved every bit of abuse the posse heaped on him. I came in too late to join in...

DukeAllen 04-29-2015 3:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by five-oh (Post 1349323)
Hokie was an idiot. He deserved every bit of abuse the posse heaped on him. I came in too late to join in...

I came in near the end. I always wanted to see his '83 :funny:

Taurus 04-29-2015 9:30pm

Lest you think he only pizzed off the CF crowd, check out this one from SmokinVette. He's trying to convince everyone he has a stock 409 in his vette.

87 corvette 409 stock engine ? [Archive] - SmokinVette.com Forums

DukeAllen 04-30-2015 12:07pm

It's feeling like old times in here! TMT, I found your baby pic :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...zL._SY445_.jpg

:leaving:

Taurus 04-30-2015 9:04pm

No, I be stylin..................

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...4me/taurus.jpg

DukeAllen 04-30-2015 9:24pm

Ahhh those awkward teen years :funny:

five-oh 05-04-2015 6:57am

:lol:
Y'all ain't right.
My UPS guy called last night and wanted me to come drive his new purchase "to makes sure it drives right". Got my mind blown. I pull up- '96 Collector's Edition drop top, 47k miles on it. Looked showroom new. Probably the closest thing to a new C4 I've ever saw and definitely the nicest I've ever drove. If it was just an LT4 car, it'd be perfect.