The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Talk, laundry equipment? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136974)

Don Rickles 03-21-2024 9:17am

Talk, laundry equipment?

Looks like we are in the market for a new set… Our washing machine is on its last leg…. It’s damn old, as I’ve repaired it too many times….drive belts, filters, pump, door seals x3, etc. My mechanic son used to bring home his greasy clothes that clogged the drain….The Kenmore was a good machine!

I’m a huge fan of Meile products. Quality along with incredible customer service!

The BUT…..These new Meile sets are a smaller capacity and will not fit a king sized comforter.

Pricey but to me worth the money, not sure if we can drop down to these smaller loads…?

What’s your thoughts?

Blademaker 03-21-2024 9:20am

Get what you need/want.
Come off some $$$, Skinflint....:funniest:

Don Rickles 03-21-2024 9:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blademaker (Post 2234932)
Get what you need/want.

Wanna buy a badass knife?:D

Yadkin 03-21-2024 9:24am

Some of the new machines have a removable agitator. So you can leave it out when washing lightly soiled stuff like comforters and sheets, and put it back in when you have to clean your nasty elderly underwear.

Not sure if Brandon has mandated back the water saving regulations that Trump eliminated during his four years. If so, you'll need a garden hose to fill it. I was lucky to buy during those years of freedom.

MikeB 03-21-2024 9:25am

Wife bought herself an LG set. No agitator.
Top load washer, front load dryer(electric). $900/ea, on sale
(aren't they always?)
Nice units. They auto-adjust everything for weight, no need to select
size. Both can be controlled by wifi/cell phone (I don't use it)
Can even add steam to the drying process (I never use it).

Don Rickles 03-21-2024 9:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blademaker (Post 2234932)
Get what you need/want.

I’m only really concerned about the downsizing. This is the last time we hope to need to replace them so money isn’t an issue. Shit, my Meile vacuum was 2k. It’ll suck the hair off your head!

Bought her a Wolf Range and hood combo (13k), and a SubZero fridge (10k).

Look at me I’m bragging!!!:dance:

Don Rickles 03-21-2024 9:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 2234936)
Wife bought herself an LG set. No agitator.
Top load washer, front load dryer(electric). $900/ea, on sale
(aren't they always?)
Nice units. They auto-adjust everything for weight, no need to select
size. Both can be controlled by wifi/cell phone (I don't use it)
Can even add steam to the drying process (I never use it).

These sets do have all those bells and whistles too, that will likely go rarely used.

Has to be front loading both washer and dryer to fit the space properly.

I think the two are priced just over 4K. Washers are comparable in size it’s the dryer that will drop from 7.5 to 4 cu

LisaJohn 03-21-2024 9:33am

I like my speed queen. It will not hold my thick, king size comforter.

Yadkin 03-21-2024 9:35am

Baby Doll has a PhD in laundry, has had two front loaders and has sworn off of them. She has determined that it takes lots of water to clean clothes.

Joey777 03-21-2024 9:39am

Speed Queen top load washer. You can get it with an electronic controls or mechanical.

Don Rickles 03-21-2024 9:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 2234942)

Do you take the comforters to the cleaners? How often how much..?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 2234943)
Baby Doll has a PhD in laundry, has had two front loaders and has sworn off of them. She has determined that it takes lots of water to clean clothes.

The room is designed with counters over the top of the side by side equipment. Have no choice without rebuilding the shelving/counter and storage. I washer door seal on mine has been changed as I said a few times, cheap and and easy repair. But don't want to do it again!

Interestingly the Meile dryer is 120v and has no need for venting, as it's a heat pump system. Should help reduce operational costs.

Yadkin 03-21-2024 9:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Rickles (Post 2234948)

Interestingly the Meile dryer is 120v and has no need for venting, as it's a heat pump system. Should help reduce operational costs.

:Sexy:

Aerovette 03-21-2024 10:03am

Do NOT NOT NOT get a washer without an agitator.

HUGE disappointment.

LisaJohn 03-21-2024 10:06am

My king size quilt fits. I take my comforter off the bed at night. I take it 1-2 times a year to the laundry. They now charge $25 to wash and dry it. It used to be $15. I don’t know how much it cost if I stay and use their large washer and dryer. I never buy comforters or spreads that have to be dry cleaned. My speedqueen is mechanical.

Onebadcad 03-21-2024 10:28am

The all-in-one now has more manufacturers, saves space, it will be my next purchase when our 2-year old washer and dryer die out.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ge-prof...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

KenHorse 03-21-2024 10:34am

Bought a Samsung front loader a few months back, to replace our LG front loader (which was a POS).

So far, quite happy with the new one in all regards

04 commemorative 03-21-2024 10:36am

1 Attachment(s)
We bought an LG Wash Tower.....works great and wife washes the king sized comforter with no trouble at all.

GTOguy 03-21-2024 10:59am

Whatever you do, make sure they're Kosher units. That way, if you leave money in your pockets, you won't have to fish it out of the machine. It'll simply be absorbed into it and disappear. :seasix:

Jeff78 03-21-2024 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Rickles (Post 2234939)
I’m only really concerned about the downsizing. This is the last time we hope to need to replace them so money isn’t an issue. Shit, my Meile vacuum was 2k. It’ll suck the hair off your head!

Bought her a Wolf Range and hood combo (13k), and a SubZero fridge (10k).

Look at me I’m bragging!!!:dance:

Thanks for the Wolf & SubZero purchases. :seasix:
My son in law is an engineer there.

RedLS1GTO 03-21-2024 12:13pm

Top load only. I don't care if it means ripping out countertops. Take apart a front load washer that has been used for a year or more.

After the vomit stops, you'll never buy 1 again.

LATB 03-21-2024 12:22pm

Speed Queen top load.
/thread

CurtP 03-21-2024 12:48pm

Speed Queen. If you're really serious about being able to wash king-sized comforters, soft-mount commercial machines may be what you're looking for. 20-70lb load capacities available. A 25# model is $8,700, 70# is $16,387.50. Definite bragging rights.

https://speedqueencommercial.com/en-...tor-commercial

https://www.samstores.com/product-sp...240-31817.html

https://www.samstores.com/product-sp...not-31117.html

I have the Speed Queen commercial on-premise top loading washer with residential-style controls: https://speedqueencommercial.com/en-...ers-commercial

I would not touch a Speed Queen residential top-load TR series. No transmission and they don't clean like they used to. The manual control TC5 is good.

DJ_Critterus 03-21-2024 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Rickles (Post 2234929)
Looks like we are in the market for a new set… Our washing machine is on its last leg…. It’s damn old, as I’ve repaired it too many times….drive belts, filters, pump, door seals x3, etc. My mechanic son used to bring home his greasy clothes that clogged the drain….The Kenmore was a good machine!

I’m a huge fan of Meile products. Quality along with incredible customer service!

The BUT…..These new Meile sets are a smaller capacity and will not fit a king sized comforter.

Pricey but to me worth the money, not sure if we can drop down to these smaller loads…?

What’s your thoughts?

buy as large as you can without all the fancy bells and whistles. They last longer and are less prone to failure like all the programmable touch pad stuff and especially front load washers.

DJ_Critterus 03-21-2024 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onebadcad (Post 2234976)
The all-in-one now has more manufacturers, saves space, it will be my next purchase when our 2-year old washer and dryer die out.

bad choice. it will take you 2-3x longer to do one load of laundry. I had one in Korea due to limited space and it sucked worse than Adog starting first in his own threads.

Don Rickles 03-21-2024 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 2235139)
buy as large as you can without all the fancy bells and whistles. They last longer and are less prone to failure like all the programmable touch pad stuff and especially front load washers.

This^^^

With a single phone call to a local supplier, I’m convinced the Meile sizes are not going to work for us.

I’m doing just as you recommended!

Search is on….

Meile out, checked off

StudleyJames 03-21-2024 1:00pm

I prefer them stacked so only front loader here
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...UCPKA&usqp=CAU

Don Rickles 03-21-2024 1:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurtP (Post 2235138)
Speed Queen. If you're really serious about being able to wash king-sized comforters, soft-mount commercial machines may be what you're looking for. 20-70lb load capacities available. A 25# model is $8,700, 70# is $16,387.50. Definite bragging rights.

https://speedqueencommercial.com/en-...tor-commercial

https://www.samstores.com/product-sp...240-31817.html

https://www.samstores.com/product-sp...not-31117.html

I have the Speed Queen commercial on-premise top loading washer with residential-style controls: https://speedqueencommercial.com/en-...ers-commercial

I would not touch a Speed Queen residential top-load TR series. No transmission and they don't clean like they used to. The manual control TC5 is good.

Damn!

Onebadcad 03-21-2024 1:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 2235146)
bad choice. it will take you 2-3x longer to do one load of laundry. I had one in Korea due to limited space and it sucked worse than Adog starting first in his own threads.

I do laundry once a week, takes about 1.5 hours to wash and dry.
The GE Profile all-in-one says 2 hours, I can deal with that.
Here are the reviews, 874 total, 683 5-star, 794 were 3-star and higher.
Frist review on page is impressive.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/reviews...aphite/6530134

6spdC6 03-21-2024 1:21pm

Quote:

Even if you not a person that normally buys warranties, for this mixed bunch of parts I would seriously consider one!

GTOguy 03-21-2024 1:50pm

I GOT IT! Convert to ISLAM and you won't NEED a washer or dryer! :)

DJ_Critterus 03-21-2024 1:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOguy (Post 2235205)

:funnier:

GTOguy 03-21-2024 1:56pm

Quote:

Funniest and most appropriate thing I've read all month. :cert:

MikeB 03-21-2024 2:35pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOguy (Post 2235211)
Funniest and most appropriate thing I've read all month. :cert:

Wait a minute !
When did Adog ever start in his own thread? :toetap:

Don Rickles 03-21-2024 2:41pm

Quote:

I GOT IT! Live like the orthodox and you won't NEED a washer or dryer! :)

Ufff….

Vette40th 03-21-2024 2:57pm

Who really makes them? I would love to see who makes these machines, and I bet there are only a few manufactures, like 2 or 3, and they just have names put on them for the brands.
Top loaders suck, due to shocks that break. Side loaders are fine for me. and with regular cleaning, they last. Both my LGs are from 2010. 3 ladies and myself, have used them for some time. Nothing yet, has broken.
My girlfriend has newer top loader and side loader dryer. I replaced the coil on the dryer, and the top loader springs broke.. Samsung.

slewfoot 03-21-2024 3:14pm

As I recall a short time back, something like this came up and many here were not fans of the side loads. Because of that, we are looking at nice top loads

StaticCling 03-21-2024 3:25pm

Speed Queen.

Everything else is JUNK

SurfnSun 03-21-2024 4:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 2234942)

A family member bought a Speed Queen set. Has been nothing but a headache...the dryer has burnt several of their items even when turned down. Washer broken multiple times and they won't fix. Its been absolute crap.

JRD77VET 03-21-2024 7:24pm

Stay away from all the bells and whistles. Go top load, stainless drum and a dial. The less electronics the better.

Vandelay Industries 03-21-2024 7:29pm

Quote:

No more toilet paper either! :seasix:

Onebadcad 03-21-2024 7:30pm

Quote:

Or just tell people you are french,,,

Rob 03-21-2024 11:41pm

I have been looking at SpeedQueen

Don Rickles 06-10-2024 7:58am

TTT

Boy has this one been a long growing ongoing project.....

Before we went out to buy the new laundry equipment, which we still haven't finalized (the old washer is still operating but not well). I thought it might be the best time to remodel the entire laundry room....oh boy..

The flooring was older and way out of style, just a plain 4x4 matte white ceramic, had to go. After gutting the tile and wet bed, I found the plywood subfloor must have been getting wet, it must have been going on for years, it's rotted and has to be replaced. Problem is now, the laundry room backs up against the kids or hall bathroom wall, the rotted plywood goes under the wall with at least 6 pipes in the wall thru the floor, both water and drains lines....

With the lower half of the laundry room side sheetrock removed, I found another leak, the vanity sink drain had also been dripping, for god knows how long....

Out with the vanity, off with the corian top and faucet, on and on we go! Now to fix the subfloor properly the tile floor in the bathroom has to go, which at the moment is by the curb, waiting to be picked up by the trashman. Of course the toilet had to be pulled and while I'm here I'll be demolishing the tub walls and tile too. The project has now become a full blown laundry room and complete new bathroom.

We can do without the bathroom temporarily and I have the laundry equipment connected...

And this being two of the last of three rooms left to redo, I'm ok with it.... The master bathroom is the last big thing left to do in the entire house.

Frankie the Fink 06-10-2024 8:02am

I'm about sick of "smart" appliances, light switches, thermostats, etc...

When the power goes out or internet goes down, the wife and I will be hugging each other in fright in our dirty clothes in our 100 degree house, eating raw hamburger before it spoils in the malfunctioning frig...

zsr22 06-10-2024 8:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 2234979)
Bought a Samsung front loader a few months back, to replace our LG front loader (which was a POS).

Our Samsung dryer sucks. The sensor thinks we like our clothes damp and the Eco Dry (where it just spins half the cycle using no heat) can't be permanently turned off. So every load you must push the damn button to temporarily turn it off.

And why can't the washer or dryer remember the previous cycle setting? That seems waaayyyyy too convenient of a feature to implement. Can't wait to get rid of these units.

Vette40th 06-10-2024 8:13am

Dont get top loaders. Read up on the springs/rods that keep it floating while slinning. They suck
As far as the dryer. I manually choose speed dry, and enter 55 minutes, give or take.
LG, from 2010

Tikiman 06-10-2024 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 2235400)
I have been looking at SpeedQueen

SpeedQueen is supposed to be good. I'm looking for something that isn't reliant on a bunch of circuit boards. The simpler, the better. Less stuff to break.

ratflinger 06-10-2024 11:41am

Quote:

All-in-ones are pieces of shit - MY SIL has one, literally takes all day to dry the load, and the clothes never feel fully dry. Besides, if your dryer breaks you can either fix or replace it, this unit shits, then you have buy both again.

CurtP 06-10-2024 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikiman (Post 2275766)
SpeedQueen is supposed to be good. I'm looking for something that isn't reliant on a bunch of circuit boards. The simpler, the better. Less stuff to break.

Speed Queen TC5 "classic clean" if top load is ok with you. Mechanical controls and has a transmission. The TR3 and TR5 don't have the transmission and clothes go around like they're in a lazy river and don't get nearly as clean. DC5 matching dryer.

Don Rickles 06-10-2024 3:48pm

2 Attachment(s)
Man……another huge kick in the nuts!!!

Good news first, all the trash I mean all of it got picked up this morning! I had enough time to demo the tub area, clean it up and load it on my trailer. When the regular guy shows up I ran down flipped him a nice tip (40.00) and loaded it in the truck!

Ok the kick, another area of rot and insects….. I pulled out the 500lb cast iron tub to discover more bad subfloor and even a rotted joist! We’re in head deep now….good thing I know a carpenter! But damn, water in any way shape or form destroy your home!!!!

Yadkin 06-10-2024 3:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Rickles (Post 2275652)
TTT

Boy has this one been a long growing ongoing project.....

Before we went out to buy the new laundry equipment, which we still haven't finalized (the old washer is still operating but not well). I thought it might be the best time to remodel the entire laundry room....oh boy..

The flooring was older and way out of style, just a plain 4x4 matte white ceramic, had to go. After gutting the tile and wet bed, I found the plywood subfloor must have been getting wet, it must have been going on for years, it's rotted and has to be replaced. Problem is now, the laundry room backs up against the kids or hall bathroom wall, the rotted plywood goes under the wall with at least 6 pipes in the wall thru the floor, both water and drains lines....

With the lower half of the laundry room side sheetrock removed, I found another leak, the vanity sink drain had also been dripping, for god knows how long....

Out with the vanity, off with the corian top and faucet, on and on we go! Now to fix the subfloor properly the tile floor in the bathroom has to go, which at the moment is by the curb, waiting to be picked up by the trashman. Of course the toilet had to be pulled and while I'm here I'll be demolishing the tub walls and tile too. The project has now become a full blown laundry room and complete new bathroom.

We can do without the bathroom temporarily and I have the laundry equipment connected...

And this being two of the last of three rooms left to redo, I'm ok with it.... The master bathroom is the last big thing left to do in the entire house.

Old houses require work, patience, and dough. :seasix:

roadpilot 06-10-2024 5:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 2234979)

We have a Samsung washer and dryer frontloaders amd both are
humming along without any problems.

Yadkin 06-10-2024 7:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikiman (Post 2275766)

Lowes was selling a totally mechanical Speed Queen last time I looked.

mrvette 06-10-2024 8:27pm

Back when I moved here....May of '97, I bought two Kenmore/Sears washer/dryer.......been fine for some time now......

In FACT I think they may have been two USED machines.....

ASS I recall buying them down here and loading in my old ancient '85 Dodge work van.....which STILL exists in my wife's old 3 acre back yard.....