The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Blood in your Stool (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124123)

higgyburners 11-18-2020 10:47pm

Blood in your Stool

...........for the ol' farts that reach the retirement home.

Blood in the stool can be frightening, whether you discover it while wiping after a bowel movement or from a test ordered by your health care provider. While blood in stool can signal a serious problem, it doesn't always. Here's what you need to know about the possible causes of bloody stools and what you -- and your doctor -- should do if you discover a problem.

Causes of Blood in Stool
Blood in stool means there is bleeding somewhere in your digestive tract. Sometimes the amount of blood is so small that it can only be detected by a fecal occult test (which checks for hidden blood in the stool). At other times it may visible on toilet tissue or in the toilet after a bowel movement as bright red blood. Bleeding that happens higher up in the digestive tract may make stool appear black and tarry.

Possible causes of blood in stool include:

Diverticular disease. Diverticula are small pouches that project from the colon wall. Usually diverticula don't cause problems, but sometimes they can bleed or become infected.

Anal fissure. A small cut or tear in the tissue lining the anus similar to the cracks that occur in chapped lips or a paper cut. Fissures are often caused by passing a large, hard stool and can be painful.

Colitis. Inflammation of the colon. Among the more common causes are infections or inflammatory bowel disease.

Angiodysplasia. A condition in which fragile, abnormal blood vessels lead to bleeding.

Peptic ulcers. An open sore in the lining of the stomach or duodenum, the upper end of the small intestine. Many peptic ulcers are caused by infection with a bacterium called Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori). Long-term use or high doses of anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen can also cause ulcers.

Polyps or cancer. Polyps are benign growths that can grow, bleed, and could become cancerous. Colorectal cancer is the fourth most common cancer in the U.S. It often causes bleeding that is not noticeable with the naked eye.

Esophageal problems. Varicose veins of the esophagus or tears in the esophagus can lead to severe blood loss.

Steve_R 11-18-2020 11:11pm

Are you trying to tell us something?

Anjdog2003 11-18-2020 11:12pm

Should be a sticky. :yesnod:

MadInNc 11-19-2020 12:38am

tahnks

Murray 11-19-2020 6:31am

Shitty thread is shitty

RMVette 11-19-2020 6:39am

Great, now I have to worry about that too for when I get old.

snide 11-19-2020 7:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1824037)
Are you trying to tell us something?

Higgy has horrible ass cancer? :shrug:

Mick 11-19-2020 7:12am

Taking large amounts of NSAIDs over a long period of time can cause bloody stools as well. If this happens to you, stop taking the NSAID immediately, and call your Doctor. :yesnod:

Vandelay Industries 11-19-2020 7:40am

1 Attachment(s)
And the # 1 cause is.....

Attachment 49216

Chuck A 11-19-2020 8:20am

when i drink heavy i usually have some blood in stool, as long as it doesnt happen daily i usually dont worry about it

LisaJohn 11-19-2020 8:20am

You forgot one!

RMVette 11-19-2020 8:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck A (Post 1824085)
when i drink heavy i usually have some blood in stool, as long as it doesnt happen daily i usually dont worry about it

Is that after you wake up in a strange hotel room?

mrvette 11-19-2020 8:30am

A couple weeks ago, I goofed and ordered TWO of those green hot spicey burgers from Whattaburger across the highway .....I LOVE their typical burgers but those were absolute POISON....just 1/2 of one burger and my gut burned like a branding iron....followed up with a tumbler of baking soda, which lessened the burn a good bit,....BUT caused rectal bleeding the next day and the bleeding got worse.....one day it was really bad toward end of week, so to the ER and finger in the butt.....so it stopped the next day.....they did set up for a camera exam on Monday, but I cancelled the apt. when the bleeding stopped.....

I NEED ibuprofen for the arthritis and lo back issues......kant win.....age 76..

:issues:

Chuck A 11-19-2020 8:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMVette (Post 1824089)
Is that after you wake up in a strange hotel room?

dwjz06 11-19-2020 8:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries (Post 1824074)
And the # 1 cause is.....

Attachment 49216

:rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 1824086)
You forgot one!

:bigears:

SnikPlosskin 11-19-2020 8:58am

Common symptom of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

LisaJohn 11-19-2020 9:45am

Hemorrhoids

MikeB 11-19-2020 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 1824114)
Hemorrhoids

What a pain in the ass.:leaving:

Steve_R 11-19-2020 10:23am

I've heard it can be caused by drinking buttermilk, and is DEFINITELY caused by eating cornbread in buttermilk. :flush:

snide 11-19-2020 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1824122)
I've heard it can be caused by drinking buttermilk, and is DEFINITELY caused by eating cornbread in buttermilk. :flush:

*DEFIANTLY

SnikPlosskin 11-19-2020 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 1824114)
Hemorrhoids

Yup. If you don’t have a bowel disease, and the blood is bright red, that’s the ticket.

I’ve been bleeding for decades. In my case, it’s the lining of my gut is being ulcerated from Crohns. I lose enough blood (I digest some too) I get anemia. I just finished five iron infusions. I get two colonoscopies a year. I wake up in a hospital about twice a year.

I remember the first time. I was doing a keynote speech for a huge conference. In the green room I filled the bowel with blood. I didn’t know I had the disease. I was FREAKED. I had to buck up and to the speech. They were paying handsomely. (I think $10k IIRC). ****ing terrifying.

In Afghanistan I got food poisoning and puked so violently I broke a blood vessel in my neck. So I was like a blood sprinkler from both ends. Disturbing. Corpsman looked like he was going to faint.

It doesnt always happen but sometimes it goes for months. An amazing quantity. Large clots plop out. Disgusting.

One more thing. People think Crohns is “the pooping disease” as in the chocolate sprints. Some have diarrhea 15-20x a day (my poor 80 yo mom:sadangel:) because the disease is attacking the large bowel.

But the disease does way more. We get rheumatoid arthritis. We get mental problems, skin psoriasis, severe fatigue, sometimes confusion.

No everyone has a bag (very few). We take cancer drugs to tamp down our immune system to stop the attacks. It works pretty well.

Mine attacks my small bowel so food can be slow moving through because of narrowing and rings of scar tissue from ulcerating. More importantly the special cells that absorb nutrients are replaced with regular scar tissue.

I worked in the oil field and took a lot of nsaids. They destroyed my gut. Now I can’t absorb nutrients. My immune system is attacking my small bowel, my joints and my optic nerves. I’ll be legally blind by 65 or so.

Much of your brain chemistry is in the gut. Serotonin is made in the gut. People who’s guts are ****ed up, have depression and anxiety. And huge fatigue. I can’t sleep so when aimpost crazy stuff, that’s the ambien talking. Sometimes I go on prednisone then I get manic.

Don’t get it confused with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) IBD is (inflammatory Bowel Disease). The difference is the former is inconvenient. It’s not a disease. It’s caused by food in an otherwise healthy system.

The latter, inflammatory Bowel Disease is not food related, it is progressive (gets worse):and incurable. It kills you. Somehow your immune system decided to attack your own body. I’ve had six inches of small bowel cut out in emergency surgery. It will happen again. I was just in the ER Monday with severe abdominal pain. They gave me steroids, morphine and fluids and sent me home. I’ve been on a liquid diet all week. (No booze)

This disease is seriously life altering. We look normal so people don’t get it. I see people with cancer and their friends rally around them, buying groceries, driving to doctors appoints, doing home repair.

We get none of that. I drive myself to chemo. Nobody every helps. I had a singer one say she would come hang out to keep me company. She didn’t I don’t expect anything but when I’m down, I long for help that never comes.

It’s a disease that flares brutally then can go into remission for long periods. I’ve been flaring for almost two years. Sometimes like most of this week I was incapacitated i still managed to work.

I get stuck by needles more than 250x a year. My infusions to control the disease are $25k every six weeks. It takes five hours at the cancer center.

carlton_fritz 11-19-2020 10:59pm

So glad there are no pics.

NEED-A-VETTE 11-19-2020 11:53pm

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 49249

Anjdog2003 11-20-2020 1:33am

Hi Toots :kimblair:

Murray 11-20-2020 4:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjdog2003 (Post 1824382)

Leg humpers anonymous ——————->

NEED-A-VETTE 11-20-2020 7:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjdog2003 (Post 1824382)

:seeya:

SnikPlosskin 11-20-2020 8:36am

I share stuff like that because very few people understand the disease. I hope it can help those who struggle by educating others. We face a tremendous amount of discrimination and ignorance.

Steve_R 11-20-2020 10:40am

I was diagnosed with Crohn's 40 years ago and have never felt any kind of discrimination because of it. :island14:

Anjdog2003 11-20-2020 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1824453)
I was diagnosed with Crohn's 40 years ago and have never felt any kind of discrimination because of it. :island14:

Crohn's Lives Matter

Steve_R 11-20-2020 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjdog2003 (Post 1824472)
Crohn's Lives Matter

I like that. Can I make a banner and go loot a store while police watch? :dance:

JetMechZ16 11-20-2020 12:47pm

Quote:

We have plenty of other reasons to discriminate against you. :D

Steve_R 11-20-2020 4:12pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMechZ16 (Post 1824484)
We have plenty of other reasons to discriminate against you. :D

SnikPlosskin 11-20-2020 4:42pm

Quote:

I wonder if your symptoms are milder or different. One example is I don’t do early day or late night meetings. I’ve heard people behind my back inferring I’m lazy and like to sleep in.

I’ve had clients ask why my skin is grey (only occasionally Grey) and part ways because they were concerned that I might not be up for the challenge) I have not missed a deadline in 25 years and I work six days a week.)

Insurance companies discriminate against me all the time.

Maybe discrimination isn’t the word. I don’t believe in shamefully hiding it. There are 750k people suffering invisibly in America with Crohn’s disease. Most people think it’s a shitting disease. For some it is. For most it’s not.

One thing I hear from patients is that they feel very misunderstood and alone in their struggle because people can’t relate or don’t give a shit.

Like when people ask “are you feeling better?” I never know how to answer. “Better than what?”

For the rest of us, it’s pain 24/7 and the occasional life threatening complication or crazy infection we can’t fight. We struggle to eat food. I don’t even enjoy food any more. Hospitalizations, doctors and more doctors, needles and more needles, cancelling social activities from fatigue.

Is a part time job managing the insurance, docs and meds. Thank god for my wife.

Some people have it milder. Mine is classified severe. It’s sometimes day to day for me.

I’ve adapted to the fatigue. I just rest when I need. I choose my own work hours. I smoke weed. (Ok, I smoked weed before).

I’m still upbeat most of the time and I’ve accepted it. I do bitch about it! :issues:

snide 11-20-2020 6:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1824562)
I’m still upbeat most of the time and I’ve accepted it. I do bitch about it! :issues:

Bitch away, bitch!

:cheers:

Bill 11-20-2020 7:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjdog2003 (Post 1824472)
Crohn's Lives Matter

ALL Diseases Matter!

:D

snide 11-20-2020 7:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1824618)
ALL Diseases Matter!

:D

Racist asshole. :Entropy: