The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Coldpocalypse II: We are Literally All Going to Die Thread (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125025)

Steve_R 02-16-2021 9:00am

What's all this "cold" and "snow" and "ice" you all keep talking about. Nice and sunny here. Wife just left for her Tuesday ladies golf league.

:dance:

Little Red L98. 02-16-2021 9:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1858703)
What's all this "cold" and "snow" and "ice" you all keep talking about. Nice and sunny here. Wife just left for her Tuesday ladies golf league.

:dance:

Whiners. Looks like fun and good exercise. :yesnod:

https://townsquare.media/site/42/fil...1&s=0&a=t&q=89

https://www.treehugger.com/thmb/jmVs...a283fe4fa0.jpg

https://arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-gmg...QNJ222HXQE.jpg

LisaJohn 02-16-2021 9:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1858663)
Here in North East PA, we had freezing rain over night. Everything is iced over. Branches have broken off some of our trees. However, we should get up to 40* today, so the ice will melt quickly.

So y’all will be hotter than the Deep South?

LisaJohn 02-16-2021 9:14am

Can you even feel the difference between -17 and -28?

Iron Chef 02-16-2021 9:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasTheGiraffe (Post 1858700)
What the HELL is that? Is that a Texas thing? Like Cucumber water?

:funnier: :Jeff '79:

Basically you take cauliflower, cut it into small florets and substitute it for noodles in a mac and cheese casserole. Cauliflower has a very neutral flavor, so it's really pretty good. I've had cauliflower rice where they grind it up into small pieces and use it for rice. It's also very good and I couldn't tell much of a difference.

Yeah...I'd rather have the real thing, but when you stay away from carbs as much as possible, you have to look for alternatives. :shrug: :kimblair:

Oh...and it's -1 this morning. Daughter has been without power for 30 hours and her house is 30 degrees...inside! She's on her way here with her two dogs. This should be an adventure.

simpleman68 02-16-2021 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 1858719)
Basically you take cauliflower, cut it into small florets and substitute it for noodles in a mac and cheese casserole. Cauliflower has a very neutral flavor, so it's really pretty good. I've had cauliflower rice where they grind it up into small pieces and use it for rice. It's also very good and I couldn't tell much of a difference.

Yeah...I'd rather have the real thing, but when you stay away from carbs as much as possible, you have to look for alternatives. :shrug: :kimblair:

Oh...and it's -1 this morning. Daughter has been without power for 30 hours and her house is 30 degrees...inside! She's on her way here with her two dogs. This should be an adventure.

Cauliflower recipe sounds good! Will have to try it out; great the kids love it as well.

Sucks to hear the deep freeze the South is having. That's going to cost some lives before this is over. :sadangel:
Scott

dvarapala 02-16-2021 10:45am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 1858719)

Mashed cauliflower is also very good. :yesnod:

Iron Chef 02-16-2021 12:50pm

My power has not been interrupted at all, and I'm relieved, but at a loss to understand why. The only thing I could figure was that our state Representative, Charlie Geren, has his residence one block over and up from me and that they were keeping this section of the grid on. Then my daughter then told me that she read that they were keeping power to all essential services. My house is two blocks down from a fire station, so I'm betting that's why. Makes more sense.

Hope I don't jinx myself, but I'm sure grateful things are still on here. :hurray:

ZipZap 02-16-2021 1:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 1858807)
My power has not been interrupted at all, and I'm relieved, but at a loss to understand why. The only thing I could figure was that our state Representative, Charlie Geren, has his residence one block over and up from me and that they were keeping this section of the grid on. Then my daughter then told me that she read that they were keeping power to all essential services. My house is two blocks down from a fire station, so I'm betting that's why. Makes more sense.

Hope I don't jinx myself, but I'm sure grateful things are still on here. :hurray:

Same as my sis in San Antonio. They're really close to a hospital, so power has stayed on.

simpleman68 02-16-2021 1:07pm

Another friend I grew up with just reached out from Houston. He and the wife are sitting in their car with the heat on.
I'm worried about the elderly that may be running out of options. :sadangel:
Scott

VatorMan 02-16-2021 1:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 1858807)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipZap (Post 1858824)
Same as my sis in San Antonio. They're really close to a hospital, so power has stayed on.

Hospital feeders are priority. EMS a close 2nd.

snide 02-16-2021 2:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasTheGiraffe (Post 1858700)
What the HELL is that? Is that a Texas thing? Like Cucumber water?

:funnier: :Jeff '79:

Well, Iron Chef does live in Austin... :leaving:

Anjdog2003 02-16-2021 2:41pm

Can't wait until summer, way too cold at night :yesnod:

Wednesday Sunny71°50°

Thursday Sunny71°55°

Friday Sunny72°58°

Saturday Sunny73°53°

Sunday Sunny76°55°

Monday Sunny80°53°

Tuesday Sunny78°60°

VITE1 02-16-2021 2:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Red L98. (Post 1858706)

I remember those days. After hours of digging my cars out and other along with cleaning sidewalks and walkways by some older folk there was always that one jackass who took your parking space. Then we'd all have to go out and shovel a new space for the worker all while burying the jackasses cars then pouring water over it to make them appreciate their folly.

Good times. :rofl:

TripleBlack 02-16-2021 2:52pm

Much of Ft. Worth is now under a 'boil water' order after issues at one of the water stations. Our city gets water from Ft. Worth from a different station, but we have been cut off by Ft. Worth so they can take care of their own.

I had a little heads up and have plenty of drinking water, but...

Question: Is it considered "Third World" if you have to break the ice on the spa section of your swimming pool so you can carry in water to flush your toilets?

Iron Chef 02-16-2021 3:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1858884)
Well, Iron Chef does live in Austin... :leaving:

Nope. Too far south for me.

Bill 02-16-2021 5:42pm

Got power back. Interior temp is already back up to 55. I'm gonna let it rest for a couple of hours, then bump it up another 10 degrees.

Mick 02-16-2021 5:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 1858709)
Can you even feel the difference between -17 and -28?

I have done a lot of camping and skiing in conditions down to about -20 F, maybe -25 a time or two. The "general wisdom" among the folks I have done it with is that below about 0 F, the "dry bulb" temperature doesn't really matter much, that is where the wind becomes the major enemy.

I remember the last day of a XC skiing trip around 1990 where it was about -10 F, but absolutely no wind at all. We were all very well acclimated, and in the last few hours at the lodge, we were outside in jeans, shirts with quilted flannel shirts over, and no gloves or hats for about 45 minutes taking pictures in front of some HUGE snow accumulations, and I remember thinking that it was cold, but really not that bad. Add a 10 mph breeze to that scenario, and at least some of us would have gotten hurt. Seriously.

snide 02-16-2021 7:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 1858908)
Nope. Too far south for me.

I know. Was trying to make a funny. :shrug:

JRD77VET 02-16-2021 8:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1858663)
Here in North East PA, we had freezing rain over night. Everything is iced over. Branches have broken off some of our trees. However, we should get up to 40* today, so the ice will melt quickly.

We lucked out just south of Allentown. It changed to rain overnight and when I started the Suburban to go to work at 5:15am, it was 36* :hurray: