The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Coldpocalypse II: We are Literally All Going to Die Thread (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125025)

carlton_fritz 02-15-2021 4:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpleman68 (Post 1858263)
Yup, and a big bonus that the Blue Bell family are really good people.

I'm familiar with the area between Houston and Austin. Been going to Brenham for 20+ years to see our largest client who has become like family over the years. Also have a few childhood pals living in Houston area.

Tried to stop in and see Snik last trip out a year or so ago but time didn't permit.

Next time I'm in town I'll shoot you a PM to see if you're up for a cold one.

Stay warm until this sheit passes.
Scott

Blue Bell milkshake?

Torqaholic 02-15-2021 5:14am

Sounds pretty bad.

Giraffe (He/Him) 02-15-2021 5:49am

1 Attachment(s)
Oh grow up FFS.
:rofl:

Giraffe (He/Him) 02-15-2021 6:26am

1 Attachment(s)
A couple hours North of me.

:rofl:

09CTSV 02-15-2021 6:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlton_fritz (Post 1858169)
:wflag:

It is a Balmy 10 degrees with wind chills at -2 with snow on the ground and more coming. Our dogs are loving it to say the least, two Bernese Mountain dogs in the snow. We are outside Evansville.

Off work for the Holiday but as always on call. Hoping work doesn't get too many MISO hits today on our pot lines. Nothing like a 5 minute warning to dump the power to the grid for an hour. Dropping one line shoots 100 MW out to the grid to take up for a plant going off line or peak load requirements. Makes the pots get a little angry in the cold but pays well.

Bill 02-15-2021 7:20am

It's happening, y'all, the beginning of the end.....Houston is having rolling blackouts. Thankfully, my little burg hasn't been hit yet.

Turns out, windmills don't work when they're frozen solid. Texas leads the nation in wind energy production, and HALF our windmills are off line right now. I imagine solar isn't doing very well either, with ice and snow all over the solar panels.

Hey, Jeff'79......that green energy dream ain't workin' out too good for us right now. At a time when we need reliable power the most, green energy is letting us down. Imagine how much worse it would be if we had a crapload of electric vehicles sucking electricity right now, like say, the whole US government fleet in Texas running on electricity.

Little Red L98. 02-15-2021 9:03am

Just be glad you’re not in the path of this system.

https://media.tenor.com/images/606c2...d2a1/tenor.gif

dvarapala 02-15-2021 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1858317)
It's happening, y'all, the beginning of the end.....Houston is having rolling blackouts.

Welcome to California. :p

Bill 02-15-2021 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1858281)
FIL has bunch of solar panels and they lose capacity when cold out, quit a bit I guess.
Snow and ice definitely cuts way down also IIRC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1858367)
Welcome to California. :p

News is now reporting that 2.5 million homes in the Houston area are without power, and worse, the planned black outs are no longer rolling. They just are, until we get more power generation.

I guess there will be people with heat guns trying to thaw out those windmills and melt the snow and ice off of solar panels.

dvarapala 02-15-2021 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1858369)
News is now reporting that 2.5 million homes in the Houston area are without power, and worse, the planned black outs are no longer rolling. They just are, until we get more power generation.

I guess there will be people with heat guns trying to thaw out those windmills and melt the snow and ice off of solar panels.

Houston is in the heart of Oil & Gas country - you'd think there'd be plenty of gas power plants sitting around. :shrug:

Bill 02-15-2021 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1858374)
Houston is in the heart of Oil & Gas country - you'd think there'd be plenty of gas power plants sitting around. :shrug:

Well, we do have gas fired plants, as well as the South Texas Nuclear Project. We also have decommissioned lignite plants, courtesy of Team Obama. the team that regulated them out of business, even though those plants had service life left. We have peaker plants, too, that only run during times like this, or in the Summer, when demand skyrockets, and those are going full tilt. It's a shame we couldn't have just kept the coal fired plants up and ready to provide peaker power, but even when Trump relaxed the regulations, the damage was done, the plants were already shut down.

TripleBlack 02-15-2021 12:05pm

5 degrees here in North Texas and electricity on 30 minutes, off 30 minutes since the middle of the night. Will last until the guys with blow torches get the windmills unstuck.

Bill 02-15-2021 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleBlack (Post 1858421)
5 degrees here in North Texas and electricity on 30 minutes, off 30 minutes since the middle of the night. Will last until the guys with blow torches get the windmills unstuck.

Green jobs! Blowtorch operators! We can hire all newly out of work wall builders and Keystone folks to climb windmills with heat guns to thaw them out!

LisaJohn 02-15-2021 12:22pm

Toilet paper check
Bread check
Milk check

Bill 02-15-2021 12:29pm

https://media.patriots.win/post/tOZ5ysy0.jpeg

Anjdog2003 02-15-2021 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 1858431)
Toilet paper check
Bread check
Milk check
GTFO check

:yesnod:

09CTSV 02-15-2021 12:47pm

Work just did a 1 hour Power outage on our potline for MISO, put 130MW to the grid. Hope some of it went to Texas.
Probably do another outage later today on another line. It will be hell trying to get the processes back in check on Tuesday.

Got the Natural Gas Fireplace cooking good right now, 15 degrees and snowing like all hell here in SW Indiana.

Anjdog2003 02-15-2021 12:52pm

It's only 61 at 9:52 am. I'll have to wait another hour before i go out. :yesnod:

Raazor 02-15-2021 1:02pm

We've been negative for 10 days. Supposed to warm up to 19 today. Should be above freezing again by Thursday.

Bill 02-15-2021 1:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09CTSV (Post 1858448)
Work just did a 1 hour Power outage on our potline for MISO, put 130MW to the grid. Hope some of it went to Texas.
Probably do another outage later today on another line. It will be hell trying to get the processes back in check on Tuesday.

Got the Natural Gas Fireplace cooking good right now, 15 degrees and snowing like all hell here in SW Indiana.

We are on our own grid in Texas. We actually export electricity to other states, but somehow, we don't have the mechanisms in place to import it. It usually is never an issue. Thanks for thinking about us, though.

I still haven't lost power, but I'm on the feeder line going to the sewer plant, on the edge of town, about a mile away, so they hopefully won't shut us off.

Having a "shitter's full" situation on top of everything else wouldn't be too good.