The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Paint and Body (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   The Lutzdog Mod Project (an ongoing saga) (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3577)

lutzdog 08-14-2010 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra4B (Post 43616)
Only bad thing about what you did to the vent screen is that you can't change it now if you ever needed to.

That lime green color is pretty badass... hope it's a metallic w/ lots of flake. Those front frame rails are pretty bad... I'd remove most all of that stuff and repaint them and really clean your grounds.

Yeah i figured i might as well remove most of the front end and do what i can. The lime green is bad ass but i am still trying to convince my wife of that but i don't think that it will work that is why i am going with the red to orange effect for the paint

lutzdog 08-14-2010 7:57pm

fixing the craked headlight cover

5 Attachment(s)
while in the midst of my endless list of things to do is to fix where one of the previous owners hit either a bird or a buffalo or dropped a brick on top of the flip up cover. You can kind of see in the first two pics where the hairline crack is. I didn't get pics of me cleaning up the crack with the dremel on the backside to allow the fiberglass to strengthen the crack more. I just added some fiber glass cloth and resin to strengthen the joint before i waste my time feathering out the front with a skim coat. All i could get to tonight was to put the cloth on the back.

Garb55 08-14-2010 10:18pm

:cheers: Thanks for the Update.

PortDawg 08-15-2010 3:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garb55 (Post 43683)
That's the way it always seems to work out and it normally always cost extra..

That's the way it was with my 79....

PortDawg 08-15-2010 3:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutzdog (Post 43700)
while in the midst of my endless list of things to do is to fix where one of the previous owners hit either a bird or a buffalo or dropped a brick on top of the flip up cover. You can kind of see in the first two pics where the hairline crack is. I didn't get pics of me cleaning up the crack with the dremel on the backside to allow the fiberglass to strengthen the crack more. I just added some fiber glass cloth and resin to strengthen the joint before i waste my time feathering out the front with a skim coat. All i could get to tonight was to put the cloth on the back.

Looks good Phil ! Oh and for the record, it was like that when I bought it........just sayin'...:leaving:

lutzdog 08-15-2010 7:06pm

i know that if kris had thrown a brick at u and hit the car i would have known already lol

lutzdog 08-16-2010 12:13am

5 Attachment(s)
I sanded the cover for the light and put a skim coat on that to try and cover the crack. tho other pics show what my paint is going to br from the deep red at one angle to the orange at another

lutzdog 08-16-2010 3:16am

2 Attachment(s)
a quick stop at the crib and sanded the skim off and shot some can primer to see the results. While I was doing this I had my faithfull companion by my side....of course she was chewing on a catydid while it vibrated in her mouth and pounced on it....I have to keep her away from the cat.

wwomanC6 08-16-2010 5:43am

Looks like its coming along nicely! Cool Dog :yesnod:
I like the two tone paint that your doing! :cheers:

:squirrelrun:

Munch 08-17-2010 7:14pm

The paint looks pretty cool. :thumbs:

Keep the updates coming!

lutzdog 08-18-2010 6:11am

5 Attachment(s)
while i am waiting for the front fascia to come in I am creating more work for myself. I made a battery box cover. I left out the 2 hours of shaping the piece of Masonite. I chose that over any other material because of its ability to flex without wanting to spring back and its moisture resistance.

lutzdog 08-19-2010 8:08pm

I havnt taken any pics yet but i am very impressed with myself and how the battery box cover turned out and i am actually thinking about making these and selling them lol. I just ordered carbon fiber cloth and will make a new set of coil covers.

Sneaks 08-20-2010 7:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutzdog (Post 44030)
I havnt taken any pics yet but i am very impressed with myself and how the battery box cover turned out and i am actually thinking about making these and selling them lol. I just ordered carbon fiber cloth and will make a new set of coil covers.

You're going to do CF coilovers?

lutzdog 08-21-2010 7:40am

After ordering the CF hood I observed how they actually made it so i am going to create some molds from my current valve/coil covers with plaster of paris....a better version one we use to get shoe prints out of dirt...and do it myself. I will say back when i was younger i thought i was getting shafted but all the constructon work and fiberglass work i used to do is really going to pay off now lol.

I want to make my own because I am desining something special in them. I almsost have the battery box primed then i will post some pics of it.

lutzdog 08-23-2010 7:16am

battery cover

2 Attachment(s)
here are some finished pics of my battery cover

lutzdog 08-23-2010 8:15am

4 Attachment(s)
This weekend i started tackling the crack in the drivers side and the license plate area.

Munch 08-29-2010 10:45am

The battery cover looks good. Nice idea using the Masonite, I made 2 out of Lexan and they both cracked when I was doing the finishing touches so in disgust I ordered one from MidAmarica. :banghead:

lutzdog 08-30-2010 8:16pm

1 Attachment(s)
The battery cover is finally finished. I need to actually afix the symbol but you get the idea. My front end finally came today and now comes the best part. I am going to take it all apart.

lutzdog 08-31-2010 5:45pm

quick question to those who have this front end

I have it mocked up on the car. I just have one question about the directions if anyone that has this front end can point me there. It is saying something about drilling out the rivets for the steel reinforced light openings…… I am not sure what they are talking about. On my stock fascia I do not see anything to drill out. I sanded the paint off hoping to see something but nothing. On your fascia it looks as though it is definitely wanting something mounted there I guess that is what the rivets are for.

I don't want to proceede like a bull and bondo it all but I will. lol

lutzdog 08-31-2010 11:49pm

2 Attachment(s)
while i am waitng to see what the metal lip is i installed I installed the front end.