Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn - A Community for Corvette Lovers  

Go Back   The Vette Barn - A Community for Corvette Lovers > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 09:16am   #1 (permalink)
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.1%

Location: Out back of Victory Over America Palace, Baghdad while throwing chicken bones.
Thanked 6,207 Times in 3,157 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1308507
Default (NSFW, Language) Snowflakes vs Street Guy

Philippine President SWEARS at European Union after death penalty criticism | World | News | Express.co.uk

The extraordinary rant came as EU bigwigs passed a resolution criticising the leader’s tough stance on drug convicts last week.

European lawmakers said they were “deeply alarmed” by the reintroduction of the death penalty - adding capital punishment is considered “cruel and inhuman”.

Responding to the remarks, Mr Duterte, who previously referred to Barack Obama as a "son of a whore", once again used colourful language to berate the European Parliament.

“I’ll talk in English,” he told Filipino ex-pats on a two-day visit to Myanmar. “Do not impose your culture or your belief in what would be a government in this planet.

“Do not impose on other countries, especially us. Why don’t you mind your own business? Why do you have to f*** with us, goddamn it?”

Since taking office in July 2016, the Filipino president has taken a hard approach to policing.

A bloody drugs war has embroiled on the streets since, killing more than 7,000 people, with many of the dead suspected dealers and alleged drug addicts.

Earlier this month, the country’s house of representatives approved a version of the death penalty bill.

The draft legislation, which needs the approval of senate, will allow the execution of drug convicts by hanging, firing squad or lethal injection.

A resolution by EU lawmakers criticised the Asian country, arguing the death penalty “fails to act as a deterrent to criminal behaviour”.

The body also called for the release of Philippine senator Leila de Lima, who was arrested in last month of drug trafficking charges which the EU said are “almost entirely fabricated”.

Ms De Lima was arrested last month on drug-related charges after strongly criticising the Filipino president Rodrigo Duterte’s hardline war on drugs.

The EU expressed concerns, noting that Amnesty International “regards senator De Lima as a prisoner of conscience”.

The fiery outburst from Mr Duterte comes as Downing Street revealed Theresa May will officially start the EU divorce talks next week.

The UK prime minister is set to begin Brexit on March 29, beginning to two-year negotiating process.

Sir Tim Barrow, Britain’s ambassador to the EU, informed the office of European Council President Donald Tusk on Monday.

Following the news, Brexit Secretary David Davis said the country was now on the “threshold of the most importation negotiation” for a generation.

"The Government is clear in its aims: a deal that works for every nation and region of the UK and indeed for all of Europe – a new, positive partnership between the UK and our friends and allies in the EU,” Mr Davis said.
boracayjohnny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:43am   #2 (permalink)
Barn Stall Owner #1
Barn Raising I, II
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 29.4%

Thanked 6,701 Times in 2,284 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2297478

Personally, I like Duterte.

Amnesty International can GSAD as far as I'm concerned.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iron Chef For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 11:20am   #3 (permalink)
Barn Stall Owner #14
Barn Raising II,III Chef

NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'15,'17
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15
Activity: 43.1%

Thanked 8,798 Times in 3,606 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $27572305

Duterte is what we need more of. You can see the world is trying to change with people like him, Britax, and Trump taking over, people are damn well tired of the PC bull and finally standing up to it.

My take on the opposition - lots people invested heavily over the past 15 years on the opposition all over the world and now they see that their chosen (paid for) candidate did not get what they had promised and therefore those investors are now spending money to discredit those that are about to cut the cords on those golden parachutes.

...get ready, lots of idiots about to start falling from the sky
Dixievet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:28am   #4 (permalink)
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 9,482 Times in 4,855 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29483795

I don't know what to make of him. He's a heavy handed thug. But he may be the thug that the Philippines needs. I hear it's in pretty bad shape; but at what point does the cure become worse than the illness?
OddBall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OddBall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 01:43pm   #5 (permalink)
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.1%

Location: Out back of Victory Over America Palace, Baghdad while throwing chicken bones.
Thanked 6,207 Times in 3,157 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1308507

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
I don't know what to make of him. He's a heavy handed thug. But he may be the thug that the Philippines needs. I hear it's in pretty bad shape; but at what point does the cure become worse than the illness?
It is a complex problem. Corruption runs through everything there. Even the Catholic church bishops/cardinals got caught a while back. So, the average person has to play the cards they are dealt. Previously, the situation was so bad the politicians were openly involved in the drug business. Now, a guy got elected who was good at cleaning up a town. His methods are heavy handed to say the least but to continue down the same road is bad also. Which is worse? The election said the people wanted to use a heavy hand. Time will tell.

I will say those from the EU have no room to throw stones. We all know how the "helping" effect is working out there.
boracayjohnny is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boracayjohnny For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 02:09pm   #6 (permalink)
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 9,482 Times in 4,855 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29483795

Quote:
Originally Posted by boracayjohnny View Post
It is a complex problem. Corruption runs through everything there. Even the Catholic church bishops/cardinals got caught a while back. So, the average person has to play the cards they are dealt. Previously, the situation was so bad the politicians were openly involved in the drug business. Now, a guy got elected who was good at cleaning up a town. His methods are heavy handed to say the least but to continue down the same road is bad also. Which is worse? The election said the people wanted to use a heavy hand. Time will tell.

I will say those from the EU have no room to throw stones. We all know how the "helping" effect is working out there.
That's basically it, time will tell. Extreme problems quite often require extreme solutions. There is just so much room for the solution to become the problem. It's going to require monumental integrity and culture adjustment on those that are in power. I wish them the best.

And I agree, the EU has the testosterone of a used tampon.
OddBall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OddBall For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn - A Community for Corvette Lovers > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic