PDA

View Full Version : Storm in VA

09CTSV
11-14-2009, 7:29am
Hey Gary,
How's the barn holding up to the storm? My sister in law has been without power out in Chesapeake for a day or two now.
I sure don't miss those North Easters, man they are worse than a hurricane.

Vet4jdc
11-14-2009, 8:04am
This thing sat on top of us for three days and just pounded us. The rain is finally gone this morning but theres still some wind. Areas around Hampton Roads got up to 10" of rain and many are still without power.

:yesnod:

VatorMan
11-14-2009, 8:59am
We are SUPPOSED to get some sun up here tomorrow. I'll believe it when I see it.

Sneaks
11-14-2009, 9:07am
You coastal boys got pounded this week. We got remnants of it here, but nothing like you guys got.
Hope all is well down there! :thumbs:

Peter Pan
11-14-2009, 9:17am
Glad this storm did not hit Texas, I hate Texas drivers in dry weather, no less floodinghttp://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/elsloan22/emotions/mega-icon-smiley-thumbs-up-1.jpg

Munch
11-14-2009, 9:23am
I had to detour all day yesterday from all the closed roads. My yard is half flooded but nowhere near what other folks got so I consider myself lucky.

On a side note: NorEaster is a dumb name for a feckin Monsoon!

Vet4jdc
11-14-2009, 11:01am
I had to detour all day yesterday from all the closed roads. My yard is half flooded but nowhere near what other folks got so I consider myself lucky.

On a side note: NorEaster is a dumb name for a feckin Monsoon!

:iagree:

YELLOHH
11-14-2009, 11:06am
So a few days of rain is really that big a deal down there?

Munch
11-14-2009, 12:40pm

That's what I've been saying. Out here in Suffolk and where I work it was just a boat load of rain and high winds, nothing to really stress over and definitely way better than a blizzard which is what I'm used to. However in Norfolk and VA Beach I saw some serious flooding on the news where whole parking lots were full of cars with water over their hoods, so I guess if you are at sea level when it starts then yeah, it's pretty bad but luckily I live further out so no big deal!
Supposed to be dry and some sun tomorrow so hopefully I can get the Vette out!

Broken Wind
11-14-2009, 3:11pm
I'm playing golf tomorrow but I haven't figured out how to strap my bag to the kayak.

Vet4jdc
11-14-2009, 6:38pm

Drive your vette on down to Virginia Beach or Norfolk the next time we get one and see how many roads you can drive on? :D

The rain and wind are not that big of a deal...it's the flooding and closed roads and power outages that cause a headache! :o_o:

GB Vette
11-14-2009, 6:50pm
The wind and rain were bad enough but, with the high tides and the resulting flooding things were a bit tough. I work in downtown Portsmouth and we had about 8" of water in our parking lot which is some of the highest ground around that area.

Vette Guy
11-14-2009, 6:58pm
Here's a lot of pics from up and down the east coast including some from Va. A whole lot of damage.

delmarvanow.com | Salisbury Photo Galleries | The Daily Times (http://www.delmarvanow.com/section/permgall)

Here's a pic from Ocean City Md last in last month's storm.

http://photos.imageevent.com/shawnsef/corvetteshows/IMG_2165.jpg

Dougzilla
11-15-2009, 6:47am
The sun finnally come out again. Now I clean up the tree that fell on my house and start fixing the roof damage.

09CTSV
11-15-2009, 7:02am
I know how everyone feels about the rain. We had 6" in about two hours last month. October was the second wettest month on record for southern Indiana. We had almost 16 inches of rain in our area. The official weather, recorded at the airport 45 minutes away, listed about 9 inches for the month.
This past two weeks have been the longest stretch with nor moisture all year. I was finally able to wash a car and not have to re-wash the next day. Our yard can finally be walked in and not bring mud into the house.

I remember the flooding in VA Beach, we used to live in Pecan Gardens off of Rosemont road. I remember quite a few times the lower part of our neighborhood near the little league fields flooding the roads.

I hope everyone dries out is safe.

zz4vetteguy
11-15-2009, 9:47am
Whew, things are about dried out now. Like the others were saying, the wind and rain were just an annoyance, the real troubles and heartaches came from the power outages and flooding.

Lucky me, being in medical transport I got to be out driving in that mess...I luckily did not have to venture into Norfolk, but spent all day Thursday in Portsmouth and Chesapeake. The ambulance I drive is a retired city rescue squad and they spec them out around here to handle stuff like that, so I was not really worried about most of the water, but it made my day a whole lot longer trying to detour around all the downed power lines and stalled vehicles.

In the higher open areas my truck was not fun to drive...the wind was fierce...slow and steady was the way to go.

BTW, if anyone on here is the dumbazz in the Acura who tried to drive it trough waste deep water that decided to open the door and get out as I was driving past and the wake from my truck almost drowned you...I am sorry....kinda. :leaving: