PDA

View Full Version : Eryn Got Her Financial Aid Package

Jeff '79
04-22-2016, 6:33am
Net net she lost $4500.00 of "free money" this year.
Sorry, but I call it free money, but I get it, that it isn't.
She applied for and received a $2500 scholarship, but free money was reduced by $7k due to us earning a lot more last year.
Personally, I think that it's BS that they derive their figures from the parents tax return.
Ok.. fine when she was in undergrad, but she's on her own in Med school right now. She basically makes nothing and studying is her job.

Of the $81k per year package that George Washington Medical School costs, her nut is $59,000. That's not including renting an apartment and living expenses.
That's where the "free money" comes in.
$81k - $59k = what she gets to live on. $22k of scholarships and grants.....

She is doing above average in testing and loves it. :seasix:

snide
04-22-2016, 6:36am
Feel the Bern, get more free money.

:rolleyes:

Jeff '79
04-22-2016, 6:39am
Feel the Bern, get more free money.

:rolleyes:

She will vote for Hill over Trump.

I'll have a vanilla dipped.

Next

GRN ENVY
04-22-2016, 8:24am
Net net she lost $4500.00 of "free money" this year.
Sorry, but I call it free money, but I get it, that it isn't.
She applied for and received a $2500 scholarship, but free money was reduced by $7k due to us earning a lot more last year.
Personally, I think that it's BS that they derive their figures from the parents tax return.
Ok.. fine when she was in undergrad, but she's on her own in Med school right now. She basically makes nothing and studying is her job.

Of the $81k per year package that George Washington Medical School costs, her nut is $59,000. That's not including renting an apartment and living expenses.
That's where the "free money" comes in.
$81k - $59k = what she gets to live on. $22k of scholarships and grants.....

She is doing above average in testing and loves it. :seasix:

I've filed on my own the past 4 years, and the grants I have been eligible for, would have paid close to 45% of tuition. Great I'll take the education grant. If I qualify and meet the education requirements. I'll take the free money. Nope parents made too much money, even though I've work full time and do anything and everything to pay for what I can and the rest I did the financial aid. I take nothing from my parents, my choice to go to school, my choice to pay for it.

Well because of what my parents made I only received enough grants to pay for my books for each of the semesters. Mind you my parents had no money invested in my education or living expenses.

Jeff '79
04-22-2016, 4:55pm
I've filed on my own the past 4 years, and the grants I have been eligible for, would have paid close to 45% of tuition. Great I'll take the education grant. If I qualify and meet the education requirements. I'll take the free money. Nope parents made too much money, even though I've work full time and do anything and everything to pay for what I can and the rest I did the financial aid. I take nothing from my parents, my choice to go to school, my choice to pay for it.

Well because of what my parents made I only received enough grants to pay for my books for each of the semesters. Mind you my parents had no money invested in my education or living expenses.

You are the complete package.
You're damned right you're taking what they're giving.
It's very commendable how you are flying solo and getting it done, all the while holding down an apartment, a job, and a sweet car. :seasix:
We helped Eryn during her under grad education and it nearly broke us but we survived and are recovering swiftly.
She has filed on her own for the past 4 years, worked 2 jobs during the summer when she wasn't in the Peace Corp, and basically did everything right, except for driving that Honda Accord :D kidding.

DAB
04-22-2016, 4:58pm
it's a complicated way to get the most money from you/parents as possible.

if you buy a shirt, and it's marked down, it's a discount.

if you buy a class, and they mark it down for you, it's a scholarship.

if everyone was charged the same, some could not afford it, and thus, the institution would get zero from no sale.

Jeff '79
04-22-2016, 5:04pm
it's a complicated way to get the most money from you/parents as possible.

if you buy a shirt, and it's marked down, it's a discount.

if you buy a class, and they mark it down for you, it's a scholarship.

if everyone was charged the same, some could not afford it, and thus, the institution would get zero from no sale.

But yet the endowments for these already bloated institutions keep rising and the costs of running them go up incrementally.
Ehhh, I shouldn't bitch.....

VITE1
04-22-2016, 5:40pm
From my understanding most of these scholarship funds come from the University endowments and not the public.

I hope she does well and wakes up to the fact that asking for more government programs and spending to fix problems caused by government programs and spending is either insane or idiotic.

Giraffe (He/Him)
04-22-2016, 5:54pm
81K/year? That is a staggering amount of money.

Jeff '79
04-22-2016, 5:55pm
From my understanding most of these scholarship funds come from the University endowments and not the public.

I hope she does well and wakes up to the fact that asking for more government programs and spending to fix problems caused by government programs and spending is either insane or idiotic.

SHe is fiscally conservative.
My cousin and I had a sit down with her and told her about who pays for the programs that the government runs.
She gets it.
Once she starts getting taxed at the highest rate as a doctor, she'll really get it.

GRN ENVY
04-22-2016, 5:57pm
You are the complete package.
You're damned right you're taking what they're giving.
It's very commendable how you are flying solo and getting it done, all the while holding down an apartment, a job, and a sweet car. :seasix:
We helped Eryn during her under grad education and it nearly broke us but we survived and are recovering swiftly.
She has filed on her own for the past 4 years, worked 2 jobs during the summer when she wasn't in the Peace Corp, and basically did everything right, except for driving that Honda Accord :D kidding.

I got lucky, there are a lot of great programs and universities to choose from here in Florida. Being a Florida resident, in state tuition kept me above water. $20k a year in tuition is easier to overcome than 60 or 80k a year. If I was in that scenario I'm not sure if I would have finished or would have been able to pay that student loan payment :willy:

Hope Eryn continues to succeed and comes out on top. Sounds like you have made a solid foundation for her to build her success on :seasix:

CertInsaneC5
04-22-2016, 6:31pm
81K/year? That is a staggering amount of money.

:iagree: My first year in '83 with a full course load, living at home, was 2K. Including books. It did go up a bit when I went to campus. But nowhere near the insane costs that are incurred now. IIRC my last semester cost 3K. Not including living costs.

VITE1
04-22-2016, 6:46pm
SHe is fiscally conservative.
My cousin and I had a sit down with her and told her about who pays for the programs that the government runs.
She gets it.
Once she starts getting taxed at the highest rate as a doctor, she'll really get it.

Being A fiscal conservative and supporting either Hillary or Bernie shows a lack of Governmental fiscal responsibility. Neither one of those candidates wants a conservative fiscal program with all the free shit they are planning to give away ( then steal the money from the people who work for it. )

Giraffe (He/Him)
04-22-2016, 6:47pm
:iagree: My first year in '83 with a full course load, living at home, was 2K. Including books. It did go up a bit when I went to campus. But nowhere near the insane costs that are incurred now. IIRC my last semester cost 3K. Not including living costs.

I get it, Doctors MAKE a staggering amount of money. But 81K/year? Holy hell.

VITE1
04-22-2016, 6:55pm
I get it, Doctors MAKE a staggering amount of money. But 81K/year? Holy hell.

Not really

What Ezekiel Emanuel gets wrong about physician salaries (http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2015/05/what-ezekiel-emanuel-gets-wrong-about-physician-salaries.html)

Physician Salaries - Average Physician Salary | PayScale (http://www.payscale.com/research/US/People_with_Jobs_as_Physicians_%2F_Doctors/Salary)

I have two friends who are Doctors. Both Have told thier children they will pay for all their schooling EXCEPT medical school. They see it as a losing proposition in the long run.

Datawiz
04-22-2016, 7:11pm
:seasix:

Giraffe (He/Him)
04-22-2016, 7:15pm
That's interesting as hell. WTF.

lspencer534
04-22-2016, 7:23pm
That's interesting as hell. WTF.

Doctors in my small City make a lot more, and they work at a State-funded Medical Center: An Internal Medicine Doctor makes more than $600,000/year.

VITE1
04-22-2016, 7:26pm
Doctors in my small City make a lot more, and they work at a State-funded Medical Center: An Internal Medicine Doctor makes more than $600,000/year.

I know a few Doctors in NY who make over a million a year.

Most do not. It's about averages.

Jeff '79
04-22-2016, 7:32pm
If she commits to certain hospitals for 3 or four years, not only will she be paid very well but they'll probably give a substantial stipend to "cure" her student loan.

MrPeabody
04-22-2016, 11:20pm
If she commits to certain hospitals for 3 or four years, not only will she be paid very well but they'll probably give a substantial stipend to "cure" her student loan.

My stepdaughter spent 80K getting her masters in Clinical Nursing. She's in her 40s and was already making six figures for awhile when she went to get the Masters. She's been making $800 a month payments for several years on her student loan.

She recently found a program that will pay off the debt, including refunding what she's paid off so far if she works two years at a rural hospital (where she has already worked for over ten years). But the two years starts now. I don't know what the source of the deal is. Some government program, I think. I don't know if state or federal.

She is currently making around 175K since getting the Masters degree.