PDA

View Full Version : Take it easy, Glenn

Hoog
01-18-2016, 5:11pm
Glenn Frey (http://www.tmz.com/2016/01/18/glenn-frey-the-eagles-dead/) dead at 67.

04 commemorative
01-18-2016, 5:12pm
wow !:sadangel:

ApexOversteer
01-18-2016, 5:15pm
Damn. :sadangel:

Hoog
01-18-2016, 5:21pm
Our icons are dropping like flies.

Thunder22
01-18-2016, 5:24pm
Glenn Frey -- Eagles Guitarist Dead At 67 | TMZ.com (http://www.tmz.com/2016/01/18/glenn-frey-the-eagles-dead/)

syf350
01-18-2016, 5:36pm
damn.

please be a hoax.

Jeff '79
01-18-2016, 5:37pm
Not a hoax... .. :sadangel:

stingraymyway
01-18-2016, 5:38pm
Just heard the news. We're loosing the greats left and right.
:sadangel::sadangel:

Blademaker
01-18-2016, 5:46pm
Shit

Hoog
01-18-2016, 5:54pm
Statement (http://eagles.com/news/266763) from The Eagles

Kerrmudgeon
01-18-2016, 5:57pm
What the heck is going on with the sixty-ish people theses days. Dropping like flies is an understatement. :(

Hoog
01-18-2016, 6:05pm
Glenn Frey, David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Dan Haggerty...

The drummer from Mott the Hoople died yesterday.

Hell, Celine Dion lost her husband and brother two days apart last week. Just...damn.

tjfontaine
01-18-2016, 6:09pm
My wife just told me - devastating loss to the music world ... what a talent ...

wwomanC6
01-18-2016, 6:14pm
:sadangel: Loved his music! RIP Glenn

Glenn Frey, The Heat Is On - YouTube

Kerrmudgeon
01-18-2016, 6:18pm
Welcome to the Hotel California Glen....you can enter but you can never leave. :(

http://stars.topnews.in/sites/default/files/glenn-frey10_0.jpg

Frey, who was 67, died of complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia, the band said on its website. He died on Monday in New York. He had fought the ailments for the past several weeks, the band said.

Sounds a little strange to me......wonder if he had something more ominous, like aids?

VITE1
01-18-2016, 6:19pm
:sadangel::sadangel:

wwomanC6
01-18-2016, 6:19pm
:sadangel: Makes you think of how precious life is! RIP Glenn, David, Alan, Dan and all the other talented peeps that past way to early! Our barn buddy Roger too!

This is making me so sad!
:cry:

Iron Chef
01-18-2016, 6:32pm
What the heck is going on with the sixty-ish people theses days.

You have to remember that many of these people lived a lot harder than most. Alcohol, drug use, etc. The body has a way of exacting its revenge.

This is making me so sad! :cry:

Me too Wendy...me too. A big part of my adolescence just left. :sadangel: :sadangel: :sadangel:

boracayjohnny
01-18-2016, 6:57pm
Quite a few great tunes and a historical band. RIP Glenn Frey.

CertInsaneC5
01-18-2016, 7:02pm
Jeeze. So many of the people I grew up with. Gone so quickly. RIP :sadangel:

VatorMan
01-18-2016, 7:15pm
Saw the Eagles last year at Madison Square Garden. Was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. RIP Glenn. :angel:

Dan Dlabay
01-18-2016, 7:17pm
Hate to hear this. Got to see the Eagles in 1977 and 1994 during their Hell Freezes Over tour. May he rest in peace and be blessed by God.:sadangel:

StaticCling
01-18-2016, 7:56pm
RIP

NEED-A-VETTE
01-18-2016, 8:08pm
Saw them a several years ago at the Hollywood Bowl. Crowd went wild when they started playing Hotel California.

First started listening to them because of my mom. She was a huge Eagles fan when we were growing up and, as a result, so were my sisters and I.

RIP. :sadangel:

69camfrk
01-18-2016, 8:10pm
I am amazed at all of the greats that have passed in the last week. I'm a huge Eagles fan too, and if they carry on, they will never be the same.:sadangel:

ApexOversteer
01-18-2016, 8:14pm
Glenn Frey, David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Dan Haggerty...

The drummer from Mott the Hoople died yesterday.

Hell, Celine Dion lost her husband and brother two days apart last week. Just...damn.

Wayne "Trapper John" Rodgers too...

ApexOversteer
01-18-2016, 8:16pm
Sounds a little strange to me......wonder if he had something more ominous, like aids?

When you're already sick and your immune system is working overtime, pneumonia is a death sentence.

ApexOversteer
01-18-2016, 8:17pm
"Heaven, you know they got one hell of a band."

StaticCling
01-18-2016, 8:23pm
Allright. I can't bite my lip anymore.

He was an asshole.

RIP and stuff, he was a heck of a song writer, but I can't get over the way they treated Don Felder.

Felder made that band epic, and they (Frey and Henley) shit all over him.

Not to piss on someones grave, but "Mr. Frey" wasn't exactly a nice guy.

Godspeed Glenn Frey. You can't take any of this shit with you.

Aerovette
01-18-2016, 9:45pm
Another thread pulled from the fabric of my life.

I am outliving all the things I grew up knowing.

snide
01-18-2016, 10:27pm
:sadangel:

Chuck A
01-18-2016, 10:37pm
RIP
Very young indeed

73sbVert
01-18-2016, 11:09pm
Something has to be said about a man that wrote (or co-wrote) some of the most iconic and fantastic music the world has ever heard, and his music will live long after he's gone.

His songs won't be forgotten for a very long time, and as long as we keep singing them and enjoying them, he'll live forever.

RIP Glenn, you were a master at your craft. :sadangel:

Iron Chef
01-19-2016, 12:09am

He was an asshole.

RIP and stuff, he was a heck of a song writer, but I can't get over the way they treated Don Felder.

I get what you're saying. Even years ago when I was still in the entertainment business, Frey had a reputation for being a real dick (for that matter, Henley didn't win any awards for congeniality either). I never could understand why people who are real jerks in life are lionized and fawned over after they die. Maybe it's just a convoluted quirk of human nature.

I don't know that I agree with you about Felder. I always felt that after Frey and Henley, Randy Meisner contributed the most from the old guard. The fact that Felder moved on and the band continued to be popular shows that the band was bigger than all of them, although the core of the Eagles...the writing, the singing...really were Frey and Henley.

I think what really makes everyone sad is not so much Frey's passing, but what his passing represents. This is now the end of the Eagles, and that band represents a time when most of us were in the prime of our lives. Younger, healthier, in many ways happier and with more days ahead of us than behind. It represents our lives gone by, and perhaps that is giving many a reason to reflect. I know it does me.

:cert:

boracayjohnny
01-19-2016, 1:47am
I get what you're saying. Even years ago when I was still in the entertainment business, Frey had a reputation for being a real dick (for that matter, Henley didn't win any awards for congeniality either). I never could understand why people who are real jerks in life are lionized and fawned over after they die. Maybe it's just a convoluted quirk of human nature.

I don't know that I agree with you about Felder. I always felt that after Frey and Henley, Randy Meisner contributed the most from the old guard. The fact that Felder moved on and the band continued to be popular shows that the band was bigger than all of them, although the core of the Eagles...the writing, the singing...really were Frey and Henley.

I think what really makes everyone sad is not so much Frey's passing, but what his passing represents. This is now the end of the Eagles, and that band represents a time when most of us were in the prime of our lives. Younger, healthier, in many ways happier and with more days ahead of us than behind. It represents our lives gone by, and perhaps that is giving many a reason to reflect. I know it does me.

:cert:

As far as Frey and Henley being dicks. Everyone has their pluses and minuses. There was a documentary/concert on the Eagles a coupla/three years ago. F&H did come off as dicks at times. They thought of themselves of the Alphas of the Eagles and took the lions share of the credit and $$$ for their efforts. They treated the others as nothing more than instrument players and replaceable with the next one coming along with talent.

As far as people sad at Frey's passing, you're hitting the nail on the head with people looking at their own mortality in the passing of others.

Giraffe (He/Him)
01-19-2016, 5:47am
The Eagles are an odd band to me. First of all they just reek of the 70's which is perfectly OK I guess but I'm a Zeppelin/Sabbath/Aerosmith 70's type. Then there's the country influence on many of their songs which I generally don't care for with a few exceptions. I dunno. I would never say they sucked because they don't. They just leave me feeling kinda meh.

Walsh's solo efforts bury ANYTHING the Eagles ever did.

RIP Glenn Frey. You certainly had a spectacular career.

VatorMan
01-19-2016, 7:23am

He was an asshole.

Godspeed Glenn Frey. You can't take any of this shit with you.

The documentary made it very clear why Felder was replaced. Felder believed all should be paid the same and Frey/Henley did all the writing/work. Want to argue ? Why is Joe Walsh still with them ? He had a semi successful solo career but knew his real $$$ came from the Eagles.
This would be the same argument any team would have.
BTW- Felder realized his mistake early and has tried many times to go back-Apparently he must have really pissed them off.

StaticCling
01-19-2016, 7:38am
The documentary made it very clear why Felder was replaced. Felder believed all should be paid the same and Frey/Henley did all the writing/work. Want to argue ? Why is Joe Walsh still with them ? He had a semi successful solo career but knew his real $$$ came from the Eagles.
This would be the same argument any team would have.
BTW- Felder realized his mistake early and has tried many times to go back-Apparently he must have really pissed them off.

Umm, Felder wrote the music to many of the Eagles big hits. Hotel California, Those Shoes, Victim of Love, Take it to the Limit, just to name a few. He contributed greatly to that band, and it could be argued that without his influence, they wouldn't have been as huge as they were/are.

Not only that, he definitely was responsible for them making the transition to straight ahead rock and roll (instead of country rock etc..)

They made the guy a full member of the band, he should get paid like one.

Jeff '79
01-19-2016, 7:41am
Umm, Felder wrote the music to many of the Eagles big hits. Hotel California, Those Shoes, Victim of Love, Take it to the Limit, just to name a few. He contributed greatly to that band, and it could be argued that without his influence, they wouldn't have been as huge as they were/are.

Not only that, he definitely was responsible for them making the transition to straight ahead rock and roll (instead of country rock etc..)

:iagree:

Mike Mercury
01-19-2016, 8:38am

truer words can not be said.

In their first hit Take It Easy (before Felder)... they had a banjo playing. The problem is not the banjo in itself... it's just the Eagles at that time were wanting their music to be played on Rock stations as well :nonod:

Practically the entire catalog of successful Eagles singles are due to Don Felder.

:yesnod:

It was Felder alone that steered the already-formed - and - recorded band... more towards rock.

this is not a slam on Frey or Henley though; they are talented musicians. But when talking about the Eagles (as a band) success... Felder is as much a part of it as those other two.

09SilverC6
01-19-2016, 11:43am
I attended a sunday summer concert in 1979 with the eagles, will never forget that day...rip glenn!!!!

OldSarge
01-19-2016, 12:07pm
:sadangel: