PDA

View Full Version : Trash pick up issues -- perhaps I'm too stubborn

Stangkiller
01-17-2016, 2:35pm
Effective January of this year, my city entered into a new 7yr contract (without voter approval) that entitled the city to a 5% kickback from the trash company. This of course was in the name of offering more efficient service, and more fuel efficient vehicles.

ie. they're using hippy feel good excuses for filling their slush fund.

As part of this new contract and new trucks, they dropped off new HUGE 95 gallon trash cans for everybody to use. My problem is the 95gal trash can does not fit safely behind or next to the corvettes in the garage, without causing all sorts of clearance issues. The two cars in the garage is already too tight. I I do not have side doors only front and rear, so my options are keep the can outside in the back yard, or in the garage. The new cans are currently tucked behind my AC systems, however not protected from feral animals should there be any trash in them.

I'm refusing to use the new cans, and they're refusing to pick up my trash. So far I've filed a complaint with the county, with the waste company, and with the waste company on social media. Consider me stubborn, but they need to come up with a solution not me.

There are smaller cans available to some communities, however they haven't offered them to me yet.

I guess my question is how far should I push this? If they removed the $15 a month fee from my water bill i'd be happy to take my trash to the dump on my own, I do after all work for a different/larger trash company. :rofl:

Jeff '79
01-17-2016, 2:38pm
I wish that WM gave me one of those big cans...
Ask for a smaller one. They'll prolly just swap it out and be done with it.

CertInsaneC5
01-17-2016, 2:56pm
Just put it outside, next to the garage like the rest of us. Quit yer bithcin' Nancy. :D

ApexOversteer
01-17-2016, 3:02pm
Ask for a smaller one. They'll prolly just swap it out and be done with it.

I'm going to be really disappointed with Stangkiller if he hasn't done this already. I'm certain things are way past asking for a smaller can.

I feel for short folk, and the elderly, having to deal with those 95gallon monsters...

ApexOversteer
01-17-2016, 3:07pm
Just put it outside, next to the garage like the rest of us. Quit yer bithcin' Nancy. :D

Indeed. If you need to, build a bin box to keep the animals away and the can(s) out of sight...

Stangkiller
01-17-2016, 3:14pm
I'm going to be really disappointed with Stangkiller if he hasn't done this already. I'm certain things are way past asking for a smaller can.

I feel for short folk, and the elderly, having to deal with those 95gallon monsters...

:yesnod: They are offering a "valet" service for the elder to take the cans to the street.

No where does it say in anything they've sent me that i'm required to use their cans. :confused5:

Kerrmudgeon
01-17-2016, 3:17pm
Leave the big one outside, and fill little ones in the garage. On trash day dump little into big and put it out....stop yer whining! :toetap:

CertInsaneC5
01-17-2016, 3:18pm
:yesnod: They are offering a "valet" service for the elder to take the cans to the street.

No where does it say in anything they've sent me that i'm required to use their cans. :confused5:

If you get this "service", You must immediately turn in your man card.

Stangkiller
01-17-2016, 3:21pm
If you get this "service", You must immediately turn in your man card.

:rofl: No worries....although, if they don't give in, I could certainly have some fun with that option :lol::rofl::rofl:

DAB
01-17-2016, 3:55pm
about every 2-3 weeks i take our trash and recycles to the transfer station. we get a punch ticket, 12 punches, for $70. lasts about 9 months. :DAB:

Mike Mercury
01-17-2016, 6:30pm
it's happening everywhere; the socialization of America.

I have problems with my trash pickup as well. When I call, their response is always "we won't do this/that".

OK then, I respond that they maybe aren't aware of this but...
I'm paying them; this is not a freebie... and they they should take care of my situation. The response back to me reminding that I pay them... is of the order of: 'what country do you think you live in? We collect funds from you... and then dictate whatever service you will or won't receive. Don't you know this by now?'

I then say: "you are not the only game in town; you do not have me by-the-balls" (and yes, I say those exact words). The person on the other end will comeback "we are the only company contracted for your area". I then inform them I can decide to have no trash pickup, and take bags to the dump myself; I won't be sending those quarterly payments in anymore

Only then do I finally get silence from the companys rep... and they take a further listen to the problem I called them about in the first place.

RonC5
01-17-2016, 6:36pm
We just got those this month as well. Too many instructions, so far apart, handles facing this way, blah blah. I leave those monsters outside the garage door. I can barely lift the lids, not worried about the critters.

Steve Austin
01-17-2016, 6:54pm
Its going on all over. County tried to force their service on us. I take it myself at a cost of about $4/month. The big thing for me is, it goes on my schedule not theirs.

86RAG
01-17-2016, 7:31pm
What's this city trash service you speak of? We either have to take our trash to the dump, or hire a private contractor to pick it up. Oh yeah, we have to buy our own trash cans too :slap:

JRD77VET
01-17-2016, 8:19pm
What's this city trash service you speak of? We either have to take our trash to the dump, or hire a private contractor to pick it up. Oh yeah, we have to buy our own trash cans too :slap:

:iagree: $65 a quarter and we get one of the those big trash can on wheels. We live out in the country with plenty of critters around so any food type trash stays in the freezer until the trash can gets rolled up the driveway. Oh yeah, the bags of dog poop go on the top :D

polarbear
01-17-2016, 8:55pm
Effective January of this year, my city entered into a new 7yr contract (without voter approval) that entitled the city to a 5% kickback from the trash company. This of course was in the name of offering more efficient service, and more fuel efficient vehicles.

ie. they're using hippy feel good excuses for filling their slush fund.

As part of this new contract and new trucks, they dropped off new HUGE 95 gallon trash cans for everybody to use. My problem is the 95gal trash can does not fit safely behind or next to the corvettes in the garage, without causing all sorts of clearance issues. The two cars in the garage is already too tight. I I do not have side doors only front and rear, so my options are keep the can outside in the back yard, or in the garage. The new cans are currently tucked behind my AC systems, however not protected from feral animals should there be any trash in them.

I'm refusing to use the new cans, and they're refusing to pick up my trash. So far I've filed a complaint with the county, with the waste company, and with the waste company on social media. Consider me stubborn, but they need to come up with a solution not me.

There are smaller cans available to some communities, however they haven't offered them to me yet.

I guess my question is how far should I push this? If they removed the $15 a month fee from my water bill i'd be happy to take my trash to the dump on my own, I do after all work for a different/larger trash company. :rofl:

Good luck on that one. Portland Metro entered a contract with WM that calls for trash being picked up every other week, but recycle and yard recycle is picked up every week. PITA... and stinks in the summer. Did I mention rates went up?

Of course, all this was to let WM buy new fuel efficient "green" trucks.

F'ecking perfect.

Bill
01-17-2016, 8:56pm
My burg insists on trash bags for trash. They won't empty a trash can. That's fine with me, because I generally only end up with a plastic grocery sack of trash or two on trash day. The recycling is separate, and involved a supplied plastic bin. One day, without warning, the city dropped off those big cans to every household for the recycling. I'm guessing the trash company paid off someone at the city for that big, unnecessary order.

Like Chris, my garage is full of cars, and I really wouldn't have space for a big can, even if I wanted to use it, which I did not. I brought it to city hall and asked where they wanted it, because I was refusing the can. I got a receipt for it, and left it right in the foyer of city hall. I still use the smaller bin for recycling.

The city could have offered the bigger cans to residents that may want one, but instead they bought a can for each house, when most houses I see still don't use them. Government BS in action.

mrvette
01-17-2016, 9:10pm
Trash pickup, that's a funny topic for me, for decades, it was picked up in the typical gal/plastic trash can....no biggie, just over with, and in the BACKYARDS too, they did the walking....upper klasses of Monkey Co. Faryland near Wash DC....where everyone gets paid a minimum salary of about 100 grand/year.....seriously, on average......

So I move to Florida, and the trucks pick it up in the same cans, but I have to haul it to the curb....or set it out for recycle on another day in blue box bins....two of them one for paper laid out flat, another for bottles/cans/plastic....no biggie....I just drag the cans/bins down the drive....so this went on for years....

I paid ten bux/month....one check for 30 bux every 3 months....for both runs.....

SO, some nitwit bitch manages to hit a trash/recycle truck who typically meandered to what EVER side of the street the guys worked less to load the crap up......SO she hits the truck and SUES and some stupid JUDGE that needs a permanent retirement rules in HER favor.....

SO they have to do TWO trips per day......TWO for recycle, and the meander around for the second trip making TWO for trash also on the next day.....

and so our TAX MONEY is now paying it out at twice the rate of course, and broken down on our prop tax bill........

You know something??? I temped to cut the trash bil in 1/2 and pay THAT much alone, rest of the taxes?? go to HELL....not paying them.....

so they can run empty screwal buses up/down the roads??? and think they doing something??? while they teach common corps in the Klassrooms???

on MY DIME????

:issues::issues:

Bill
01-17-2016, 9:17pm
Good luck on that one. Portland Metro entered a contract with WM that calls for trash being picked up every other week, but recycle and yard recycle is picked up every week. PITA... and stinks in the summer. Did I mention rates went up?

Of course, all this was to let WM buy new fuel efficient "green" trucks.

F'ecking perfect.

Our trash gets picked up twice a week, unless the trash day falls on a holiday.

Once every two weeks? :crazy:

Y'all might as well just cancel the service and have a burn pile in the back yard.

markids77
01-17-2016, 9:26pm
Leave the sumbitch at the curb and fill it from containers which are convenient for you. Tell anyone in the hood who bitches to complain to City Hall since they forced you to take that monster container.

Iron Chef
01-17-2016, 10:28pm
:skep:

:rofl:

CertInsaneC5
01-18-2016, 6:09am
:skep:

:iagree: :rofl:

Fasglas
01-18-2016, 8:11am

In and of itself, the delivery of the larger container needs further explanation?

Stangkiller
01-18-2016, 8:26am
In and of itself, the delivery of the larger container needs further explanation?

Yup, not sure why I need to change my garage around to fit a ridiculously large can I didn't ask for, just to save them money, so they can give a kickback to the local government. And yes if the can is going to be mandatory i.e. They won't pick up trash unless it's in their can they need to communicate that.

CertInsaneC5
01-18-2016, 8:43am
Is this something you really want to fixate on? Do you not have more important things to worry about? :skia:

mrvette
01-18-2016, 8:44am
SO glad we don't have any home owners assn. here, I keep the cans/bins by side of the house like everyone else....but mine are not hidden, seen easy from street......so I just drag them down to the curb....

04 commemorative
01-18-2016, 8:47am
donate platelets,plasma,whole blood or to the Special Olympics Polar Plunge....it will make you feel better at least.

Stangkiller
01-18-2016, 9:09am
Is this something you really want to fixate on? Do you not have more important things to worry about? :skia:

Some things as petty as they are just piss me off :yesnod: it's sort of an issue right Now as I've had no trash service this year.

Cybercowboy
01-18-2016, 9:56am

Yeah, mine sits right outside the garage, it's an eyesore but pretty much everyone else here keeps them outside too. However, there have been many occasions where we had trash in other containers, or just boxes, sitting next to the big blue thing and they take that no problem at all. Haven't had any issues with animals getting into it either.

Mike Mercury
01-18-2016, 10:08am
:)

it's the bigger picture though. Slowly, our earnings are taken and then we are dictated back on how we are to utilize/not-utilize that which we paid for in the first place.

Fasglas
01-18-2016, 10:25am
Some things as petty as they are just piss me off :yesnod: it's sort of an issue right Now as I've had no trash service this year.

Right. Piss "them" off and they'll deliver a set of THESE, and you'd better use 'em correctly, too. Someone will check...

http://www.eschooltoday.com/natural-resources/images/recycle-bins-meaning.jpg

Yes, they're ALL 95 gallon size.

:slap:

CertInsaneC5
01-18-2016, 11:16am

Bill
01-19-2016, 2:41pm
donate platelets,plasma,whole blood or to the Special Olympics Polar Plunge....it will make you feel better at least.

I like to donate blood, then drink a few beers.

:dance:

Bill
01-19-2016, 2:43pm
:)

it's the bigger picture though. Slowly, our earnings are taken and then we are dictated back on how we are to utilize/not-utilize that which we paid for in the first place.

#taxpayerlivesmatter

Kevin_73
01-19-2016, 2:52pm
I like the system we have around here. Most of the neighborhoods in the Dallas area are built with alleys and rear entry garages. Trash is picked up in the alley, so the trash can always stays in the back of the house. No need to ever bring it into the garage.

09CTSV
01-19-2016, 6:21pm
Its going on all over. County tried to force their service on us. I take it myself at a cost of about $4/month. The big thing for me is, it goes on my schedule not theirs.

And I like how the corrupt .gov put the bidding out twice after they advertised the competitors prices. What a bunch of BS. I take ours too the dump as well. Cost about $4 a month, oh and an egg mcmuffin on the way.